Author Topic: Borecast 31: 2010 Tech, The Holiday Loot Game  (Read 11371 times)

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
Re: Borecast 31: 2010 Tech, The Holiday Loot Game
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2010, 09:49:42 PM »
yeah, i sell a good portion of my shit to fund my hobby, although i have no financial reason to do so beyond a) less clutter/distraction; b) a reduced sense of guilt for wasting money on entertainment instead of saving it; and c) like i'll ever get around to replaying shit anyway

I would like to say that the lack of physical clutter mixed with less guilt because you get everything so cheap is what makes Steam so incredibly insidious.
hex

border

« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2010, 09:52:16 PM »
You still can't mod a lot of the stuff you buy on Steam, so *blech*

**gently rubs retail copy of Mirror's Edge PC**

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2010, 11:00:53 PM »
i collected comics and related nerd memorabilia/crap for over 20 years (i used to have a pretty healthy lower-grade golden age collection, but that's dwindled to a couple of short boxes)

that's the stuff i tend to sell off to fund the gaming

collecting comics (and all the brickabrack that comes with it) is just about the worst hobby as far as accumulating boxes of stuff you're never going to look at again once it goes into storage, so when i really got back into gaming/gadgets i made the decision to pay for as much of it as possible through selling/trade

i still have a ton of it left, but between wanting to build a nice desktop, getting a cheap tablet, and games i can see the well running dry this year

i also don't tend to hang onto many games and either sell them on ebay (even with their hefty fees you still come out ahead of gamestop), or trade when there's some sort of "bonus" credit percentage - i only own about 25 (boxed) games split between the various systems and pc

i'm not poor, but i'm not swimming in dough, so i try to keep the hobby as guilt-free as i possibly can
sup

border

« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2010, 12:04:33 AM »
How much for the Wolfman bust statue?

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2010, 12:11:40 AM »
:lol those came free with the dvd boxed set of universal monsters movies, i'm keeping them
sup

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2010, 12:13:28 AM »
the legacy collection?

that was a pretty good set, i think
Tonya

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2010, 12:15:27 AM »
yeah, i own all the legacy monster collections, lots of good stuff there

the boxed set came with dracula/frankenstein/wolfman and the busts
sup

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2010, 12:16:42 AM »
yeah.  aside from the steve sodenbergh "intros" where he essentially said how much he loved these films so he couldn't wait to shit all over them for van helsing
Tonya

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2010, 12:18:47 AM »
:lol
sup

border

« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2010, 12:23:07 AM »
:lol those came free with the dvd boxed set of universal monsters movies, i'm keeping them

Okay, but think of how many pints of plasma you'll be forced to sell for Bad Company 2 if you can't give me a good deal on those sweet Wolf-Man collectibles.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2010, 12:24:13 AM »
Where can you sell plasma anyway... I would love to stab my body for free games
fat

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2010, 07:24:07 AM »
With Gamefly, unless I'm downloading XBLA stuff, I don't see a need to buy another game again.  If I get an itch to play a game again, I can just rent it again.

Once I build my octo core PC, I might get Steam for the insane deals they offer.  As I'm getting older, I'm finding less and less room for justification for spending a lot of money on video games.

I sold off all of my 360 games to get another 360 (an Arcade unit).  I want to just Gamefly shit from here on out.

how did you sell them? lord knows if it was via gamestop youd only have enough to buy some earbuds and a snicker bar at the best buy checkout

It was a Gamestop and I sold 7 games and got $45 in credit.  I haven't stepped into a Gamestop in years but that was about double what I was expecting.
🍆🍆

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2010, 07:47:34 AM »
what would the stance be on an offshoot J-bore cast?

i mean - i have all the equipment here for a 4 man pod cast so....

sounds good to me
sup

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2010, 07:57:02 AM »
just sent you a pm, dcharlie
sup

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2010, 09:38:59 AM »
jap borecast  :o

Sounds awesome
jon

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2010, 10:08:57 AM »
I would listen to a j bore cast.

No sporkskljsfksjkljkskss tho.
yar

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2010, 10:34:56 AM »
Is the trin still in Japan?  If so, he should participate.
🍆🍆

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2010, 01:35:49 PM »
what would the stance be on an offshoot J-bore cast?

i mean - i have all the equipment here for a 4 man pod cast so....

i personally would love to have the xfe on the show sometime, meselfs

and cormac for a "nerd fitness" ep
duc

cool breeze

« Reply #78 on: January 24, 2010, 11:37:52 AM »
I listened to a bit of this.  My resolution is pretty much the same as Eel's about buying less games, but if I do buy a game, not at full price.

About the 3DTV stuff, I'm interested in all that stuff only for gaming reasons.  I tried out the Nvidia PC solution at a friends house a while ago and recently tried Wipeout HD in 3D.  For movies I don't really care about it, but for games I think it can add a lot.  The simplest use was in Wipeout HD where hud is closest thing to you.  Everything else is 3D too from vehicles to the track but having the hud in the front makes it look like you have the benefits of a no-hud game without all the nonsense screen flashes and shit like that.  The Nvidia stuff was great too.  The glasses are pretty awful and uncomfortable, though.  Only problem I had with Avatar 3D was the dimming but the 3DTV tech is just using shutter tech, and that slight flicker gets unbearable after a bit.  Add that to the glasses not sitting on your face properly and it's something you don't want to be wearing for long stretches. 

My interest is mostly for where the tech is going.  They've already shown off the 3DTVs that don't require glasses, though, you only have a small range where it appears 3D.  I'm hoping for these glasses 3Dtvs catch on enough that there is a lot of content for when there is a proper home solution that doesn't require glasses.  If there is enough interest, you will have Sony and Panasonic and others then competing to make a TV that doesn't require glasses and all that.

and realistically, like the motion controls, 3D on the PS3 and 360 is probably just a test for whatever happens next gen.  Wipeout both ran and looked noticeably worse in 3D because they had to had to draw two images.  There is talk of Killzone 2 in 3D, and that game didn't even run at a smooth 30.  Wipeout normally runs at 1080p 60fps, sometimes changing resolution in real time to keep the 60 fps.  Or you can look at the benchmarks for the Nvidia stuff and see how much of a dip in performance there is when using 3D.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 11:41:22 AM by swaggaz »

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2010, 01:04:30 AM »
kevin TOTALLY googled for images of charlaine harris' clitdick while recording the next episode, DO NOT let him deny this
duc

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #80 on: January 26, 2010, 01:07:04 AM »
lies
sup

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #81 on: January 26, 2010, 01:07:42 AM »
SEXY lies
duc

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #82 on: January 26, 2010, 01:08:28 AM »
:(
sup

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #83 on: January 26, 2010, 02:28:07 AM »
Is the trin still in Japan?  If so, he should participate.

he is not.

One thing that i thought made past podcasts, um, "work" was the 4 of us were in the same room. So probably go for that.
The issue is getting us together.

Hopefully Groo, Cormacaroni, myself and chinchilla (?) could sort something out.

whoa, mr ambition

let's just concentrate on having a few beers first, I can barely remember what you all look like!
vjj