Author Topic: Borecast 34: Exactly One Hour Long (Valentine's Day Special now up)  (Read 5997 times)

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
direct link - http://media.libsyn.com/media/borecast/Borecast34.mp3

SEGMENT ONE:  SSD? HDD? OPP?

We discuss the Pros and Cons of replacing your HDD with an SSD, and whether or not you should get a shot of antibiotics before doing so.  Also some loose tech talk.

SEGMENT TWO: THE PLAYLIST

(20:45)  Crayon Physics Deluxe

(22:00)  Devil's Tuning Fork http://www.devilstuningfork.com/

(24:00)  Half Minute Hero & Mass Effect 2 Redux

(24:50)  Grand Ages Rome:  Reign of Augustus

(28:50)  Armored Core Formula Front

(33:25)  Din's Curse

(40:45)  LISTENER COMMENTS

« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 12:01:59 PM by Eel O'Brian »
sup

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
sup

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
Re: Borecast 34: Exactly One Hour Long
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 01:19:32 PM »
that ending was PERFECT.

:bow kevin :bow2
duc

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 01:55:27 PM »
I got a mention!
dog

EmCeeGrammar

• Casted Flamebait lvl. 3
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 02:26:10 PM »
WTF MAN
I never knew stuff we posted on the bore was fair game for the podcast!  You're going to make me all self-concious every time I post now!

edit: the ending  >:(
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 02:41:52 PM by EmCeeGrammar »
sad

archie4208

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 04:50:27 PM »
Hey Frag thanks for answering and giving commentary on my question about DotA.  I personally think that the community is the single largest limiting factor for games of that ilk.  With most competitive games that I've participated in, people still shake hands at the end of the match, whereas I've been called a noob and a cigarillo in HoN more times than I care to count.  When I first started playing I was very sensitive to the trash talking, but I've become used to it and shrug it off.  I don't think a ton of people will be able to get over the ethugs that play, though which I find unfortunate since, as you said, these types of games could easily become the future of RTS.

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 05:00:01 PM »
What is SSD?  Solid state device?  I had no idea people were using flash as a replacement for HDDs yet.

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 08:36:19 PM »
Hey Frag thanks for answering and giving commentary on my question about DotA.  I personally think that the community is the single largest limiting factor for games of that ilk.  With most competitive games that I've participated in, people still shake hands at the end of the match, whereas I've been called a noob and a cigarillo in HoN more times than I care to count.  When I first started playing I was very sensitive to the trash talking, but I've become used to it and shrug it off.  I don't think a ton of people will be able to get over the ethugs that play, though which I find unfortunate since, as you said, these types of games could easily become the future of RTS.

As the genre converges with persistent online play and community matters, you'll see jerkwads punished for bad mannered behavior by their peers and the overall level of friendliness increase (see Battleforge's community, which is very nice, as an example). 1v1 RTS is also notoriously bad mannered, I think I've pretty much been called every permutation of curse and racial slur on the planet-people do not like losing.

And thanks for listening and contributing. It was a good question that I really didn't have time to answer well in a forum format but worked perfectly for the show.

What is SSD?  Solid state device?  I had no idea people were using flash as a replacement for HDDs yet.

They've been at reasonable prices for about eight or so months now. Hardcore MMO players (as I mentioned) should run to pick them up over any other upgrade, everyone else should definitely consider one in their next system build if they can spare the scratch. It makes general computing on your machine so much nicer.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 08:38:20 PM by Fragamemnon »
hex

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 09:39:56 PM »
just under the rad... rad...

what is it?!?! what was he going to say?  *rampage*

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 09:46:39 PM »
It makes general computing on your machine so much nicer.

I can imagine it would.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 09:53:04 PM »
Thanks for the trolling tips!

Also, I don't think Mario Kart's design is all over the place at all.  It has a simplistic, cartoony design.  It all looks pretty consistent.  Although obviously the retro courses will look different because they're from other generations.

I liked the game though the biggest ding should be the extremely cheap AI in the 150cc and Extra modes.  Getting hit with a dozen blue shells doesn't count as good and challenging gameplay - a lot of races end up boiling down between whether you get hit with 11 or 12 blue shells for a course.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 09:55:55 PM by T EXP »
🍆🍆

tehjaybo

• Kentucky-Bore's Last Hope
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 09:56:27 PM »
Dat ending.

Also, typing my entry for the big grab bag of media.  tbh, all I want is the black adder, but I'll try my best. :drool
HURR

border

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 04:37:19 AM »
Interesting show -- the end really caught me off guard.  I wish I could at least hear the conclusion to the conversation.

Even though I'm pretty awful at playing RTS games, the DoTA talk was interesting.  In five years, is the 1v1 RTS going to be in the same place that FPS deathmatch finds itself today?  Largely shunned, mostly limited to a handful of tweaking nutballs with incredible skill?

I think FPS games were at more of a disadvantage, since in a 12-player Deathmatch you can only have 1 winner and 11 pissed off people.  Proportionally, the game style pissed off a far larger portion of the player base than a 1v1 RTS duel.  At the same time, an RTS defeat is a great deal more crushing and demoralizing than losing a 10 minute deathmatch.  I suppose you can argue that matchmaking services mitigate player discontent, but it's probably too little too late for those styles of play.

archie4208

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 08:06:40 AM »
One thing Frag touched on is that your online ranking inevitably adjusts based on how awful you are.  In HoN, you start out at 1500 PSR (which is essentially your skill level).  No legit newbie would ever be that high, and they would be better fitted at the ~1000 range.  One solution I could think of is that before you play online, the game could offer an optional "placement test" against the AI and depending on how well you perform, your skill rank is adjusted.  I could think of several ways this wouldn't work (the AI could be busted, the grading criteria could be wrong, and so forth), but it could at least put the legitimately awful players in the same pool and have them avoid the frustration of getting stomped for the first 20 games.

Interesting show -- the end really caught me off guard.  I wish I could at least hear the conclusion to the conversation.

Even though I'm pretty awful at playing RTS games, the DoTA talk was interesting.  In five years, is the 1v1 RTS going to be in the same place that FPS deathmatch finds itself today?  Largely shunned, mostly limited to a handful of tweaking nutballs with incredible skill?

I think FPS games were at more of a disadvantage, since in a 12-player Deathmatch you can only have 1 winner and 11 pissed off people.  Proportionally, the game style pissed off a far larger portion of the player base than a 1v1 RTS duel. At the same time, an RTS defeat is a great deal more crushing and demoralizing than losing a 10 minute deathmatch.  I suppose you can argue that matchmaking services mitigate player discontent, but it's probably too little too late for those styles of play.

You bring up some good points.  I was reading the HoN thread at SA and a poster brought up a good point that explains why people rage and why the community is so harsh.  Competitive RTS games are a much longer time investment than a fighting game or FPS.  A match in Street Fighter can last 5 minutes at most, whereas your typical DotA/HoN game is generally 30 minutes minimum. 

League of Legends has a matchmaking system and I personally think it works out fairly well.  In the ~22 games I played I never felt like the tables were so stacked that winning was impossible.  I actually like LoL quite a bit, but it feels like Babby's First DotA (also, I'm not a fan of the microtransaction model).  That is not a bad thing, but if you start to enjoy the gameplay you will eventually want something more in depth which is why I drifted towards HoN.

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 10:49:46 AM »

Honestly, I think it's already there. The only real difference is that the small player count needed (2) is perfect for casual LAN play or playing with a friend-provided you are of similar skill level, which rarely is the case for very long.

There's a huge time investment in the matches (which can go 15 minutes+ easily) and more in the time practicing and laddering, which takes many, many hours. One bad night or streak can wipe out a lot of steady progress laddering. I think that's why RTS players can be so much more bad mannered than in other genres.
hex

Tauntaun

• I'm cute, you should be too.
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2010, 10:57:24 AM »
You can't tea bag in RTS though.  :(

:)

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2010, 12:39:38 PM »
Dat ending.

Also, typing my entry for the big grab bag of media.  tbh, all I want is the black adder, but I'll try my best. :drool

Ass.

Looks like KYBore is after the Blackadder set. OH SHIT SON.
HLR

Reb

• Hon. Mr. Tired
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2010, 12:56:16 PM »
Really liked the pacing, I truly think one hour is the sweet spot for a podcast.
brb

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2010, 01:07:06 PM »
It's not showing up on itunes for some reason.  :-\
©ZH

tehjaybo

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2010, 02:38:15 PM »
Dat ending.

Ass.

Looks like KYBore is after the Blackadder set. OH SHIT SON.

Sorry bitch, but Himuchan is all mine.   :maf
HURR

Arbys Roast Beef Sandwich

• •••
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2010, 03:45:04 PM »
Hey Frag, is this a good deal?

OCZ Agility Series OCZSSD2-1AGT60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - Retail
($129.00 after $40.00 Mail-In Rebate Card)

It has TRIM (:teehee) and all that, and seems to have okay read/write speeds. Planning to use it as a boot drive and maybe scratch space for Photoshop.
うぐう

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2010, 03:49:58 PM »
Yeah that's one of the drives with the Indilinx controllers that got a recent firmware with the TRIM support. Price is definitely a decent deal if you don't mind dealing with rebates (I do and don't buy after rebate stuff).
hex

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2010, 03:57:59 PM »
I finally got to listen to it this morning. Another great episode. :)
©ZH

cool breeze

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2010, 08:17:31 PM »
I really shouldn't have listened to this podcast.  The fact that I'm almost set to build a new PC (only really need to find a motherboard that's good with my existing parts and ram) along with a fresh install of windows 7 64 makes me want an SSD.  I'm fairly content with the speeds on my current hard drive except for my music folder.

T234

• Canadian Legal Expert and Hillballer
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2010, 01:54:14 AM »
Prole, tell this guy I said he can go fuck himself.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19623842&postcount=221
UK

tehjaybo

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2010, 04:24:27 AM »
Ugh, I mean, who even listens to The Borecast?  What a lame show.  Jesus.  Maybe they should just shorten it to a 15 minute show, AMIRITE?

/
:smug

Seriously, fuck those people.  The Borecast is A+ and not just because I was on it once and want to be back.  It's the only podcast I listen to.
HURR

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2010, 05:15:49 AM »
One Hour Long = one hour too short.

Fuck the haters.
HLR

T234

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2010, 09:46:26 AM »
I gotta say, the one I was on is definitely one of the more entertaining podcasts I've ever heard, if not the most entertaining. You could tell I had been smoking weed earlier in the day. I had the munchies like a motherfucker :lol
UK

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2010, 10:10:19 AM »
Yeah, I like the longer episodes.  This episode barely felt like an entry at all.

I agree that the Kentuckybore episode is still the best one.
🍆🍆

muckhole

• AMBASSADOR
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2010, 03:42:10 PM »
Yeah, I don't get the length complaints. If someone felt a segment was going on too long, they could easily just have skipped ahead to the next using the show notes.

This one really felt too brief.
fek

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2010, 07:34:23 PM »
Has the Borecast ever talked about martial arts? I've always felt that having grown men pretending to attack each other in a controlled environment is the greatest catalyst for unintentional comedy ever.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2010, 08:07:13 PM »
i could talk about it
duc

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
sup

T234

Re: Borecast 34: Exactly One Hour Long (Valentine's Day Special now up)
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2010, 01:23:01 PM »
oh my god haha

edit: oh god the rest :rofl

EDIT 2: It just keeps going oh my god
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 01:26:44 PM by T234 »
UK

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2010, 02:06:36 PM »
Yeah, I like the longer episodes.
Same. Still a great episode, and I think adding Robert as the permanent third chair was a fantastic idea. You guys have great chemistry
jon

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2010, 02:11:14 PM »
I'd like to know where the source of that story is but I'm afraid to find out.
🍆🍆

T234

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2010, 02:16:29 PM »
Yeah, I like the longer episodes.
Same. Still a great episode, and I think adding Robert as the permanent third chair was a fantastic idea. You guys have great chemistry

Agreed. Robert is like the nerd straight man to Doug's nerd-bawdiness, and Kevin is the wisened everyman who knows more about comic books than I probably ever will.

EDIT: It also helps that Robert has the technical chops I wish I had.
UK

tehjaybo

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2010, 04:09:51 PM »
Oh.

My..

God......
HURR

muckhole

• AMBASSADOR
Re: A Special Borecast Valentine Just For YOU
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2010, 04:32:48 PM »
fek

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2010, 07:32:47 PM »
http://www.toplessrobot.com/2010/01/fan_fiction_friday_batman_and_robocop_in_the_day_t.php

The original site is getting blocked by my virus scanner but anyway, I found the story.
🍆🍆

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2010, 02:19:13 PM »
Oh my god you guys actually read it

:bow Borecast :bow2

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2010, 07:45:50 PM »
http://comicsnix.livejournal.com/1420.html

Looks like the original writer wrote a sequel

Batgirl put her panties down and got wet, because Joker was sexy. He got strontg and masculine in the last two years, he wasn't the dirty stinky and got no poo int he ass anymore. Yes, the life coach was giving results.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 07:47:55 PM by T EXP »
🍆🍆

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2010, 08:35:08 PM »
EASTER SPECIAL
sup

archie4208

« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2010, 08:37:58 PM »
http://comicsnix.livejournal.com/1420.html

Looks like the original writer wrote a sequel

Batgirl put her panties down and got wet, because Joker was sexy. He got strontg and masculine in the last two years, he wasn't the dirty stinky and got no poo int he ass anymore. Yes, the life coach was giving results.

“Robin, do you prepared yourself?” asked a care-worn Batman.

“Batman, I'm with much fear!!! Joke will kill us!!!” cried in pain and sorrow Robin.

Batman punched Robin face. One tooth fell.

what

EmCeeGrammar

• Casted Flamebait lvl. 3
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2010, 12:45:42 PM »
Did I miss something?  Its been a while since the last one.
sad

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2010, 12:48:39 PM »
we skipped a week, new episode later this week
sup