Author Topic: Random Gaming Talk Thread  (Read 3123582 times)

Himu

Re: Random Gaming Talk Thread
« Reply #33660 on: February 16, 2024, 01:29:42 AM »
Tomb Raider controls are fine and if you cant do them you are a beta male cuck

I am loling at people who still can't "understand" them in ResetEra thread

I played all TR just last year and they all play perfectly fine SHRUG

For the most part I agree but I do think there's a learning curve.
IYKYK

Svejk

« Reply #33661 on: February 16, 2024, 09:54:12 AM »
Only thing I wanted from this Remaster was the QOL of activating levers; Lara snapping to them... Supposedly that's a thing now? (Haven't played it yet)  That was the one thing that irked me even back in the day.   Was always like, 'I'M RIGHT FUCKING THERE!! JUST PUT YOUR ARM OUT, BITCH!! Y U GOTTA BE PERPENDICULAR TO THIS SHIT?!?"
I assume they still have her handstand pull up too, right?  Would be silly if that was removed.

1 and 2 still have one of the best scores too.  Queuing perfectly to fit the scenery and feels majestic; from the strings of Venice, to the ahead of it's time EDM when plowing through on a snowmobile.  The main theme of TR1 is still the GOAT.  When playing the Reboot, I was so wanting the end part (when she got her dual pistols) to play a hint of the TR1 theme, but that never happened...  :-\
But now I have my daughter play it for me on the piano.  :heart

Himu

« Reply #33662 on: February 16, 2024, 12:47:51 PM »
I was confused by that too. Hold the A (X on ps) button when nearby. Also use the pivot RB (R1) to position and she will auto do it. The game is full of holding buttons rather than presses. A press is fast, see? A hold is deliberate and slow. So you when you're doing a jump you hold run, you don't press. When you actually jump you hold the jump button, you don't press. Once you get that figured out the controls are just fine. It's a game about deliberation and holds. It's not a fast paced game, slow your brain down.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 01:30:23 PM by Himu »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #33663 on: February 16, 2024, 02:32:27 PM »

Tomb Raider 1-III Remastered gameplay. Level 1, no secrets, straight run. Played in both original and remastered graphics, tank controls enabled, d-pad play. Notice you can play FMVs in remastered mode and it de-pixelates.

Personally I prefer the original graphics for whatever reason.
IYKYK

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #33664 on: February 16, 2024, 02:43:24 PM »

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #33665 on: February 16, 2024, 03:42:20 PM »
The fact Tomb Raider trilogy costs $30 is utter horse shit.

What. Worth every penny.

25$ on cdkeys

get a grip you delusional freak
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #33666 on: February 16, 2024, 03:43:06 PM »
Guys we've been lied to by the games media

What

Himu

« Reply #33667 on: February 16, 2024, 04:07:45 PM »

What. Worth every penny.

25$ on cdkeys

This reaction is completely unnecessary for a mere disagreement. Is something going on in your life now? Everything okay?
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #33668 on: February 17, 2024, 04:38:51 AM »
The more I play of Tomb Raider the better it gets. :wow

Amazing level design, situationn and encounter design, resource management, platforming., atmosphere, environment design. I went expecting not much because I haven't played those in so long but it's such a breath of fresh air. The minimalist design style is so good. I think it's more impressive than Mario 64. I'm about halfway through TR1. Can't wait for 2.

I also forgot how long these games surprisingly were. $30 is definitely a fair price.

This one level is nuts in terms of game design, from the platforming to the encounters. I've always said 3d platforming is at its best when it adheres to a "how do I get there?" line of questioning since timing and reflects are rarely a part of 3D platformers. I say this because TR adheres to that questioning very well. It requires full facilities in terms of exploration design and using your awareness of the level and the environment to progress.

:whew

« Last Edit: February 17, 2024, 04:47:39 AM by Himu »
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #33669 on: February 17, 2024, 07:19:34 AM »

What. Worth every penny.

25$ on cdkeys

This reaction is completely unnecessary for a mere disagreement. Is something going on in your life now? Everything okay?

sorry I meant freak as in lovable freak  :-*
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #33670 on: February 18, 2024, 04:21:32 AM »
This stuff is kinda irksome tho

What

Himu

« Reply #33671 on: February 18, 2024, 01:24:12 PM »
What's irksome?

Picking up items? Like I said, hold the action button. Pivot if necessary. Ez.
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #33672 on: February 18, 2024, 02:01:08 PM »
The remastered version doesnt do a good job on some key items being hard to see, which seems like a valid complaint

Good thing the original is better
fat

Himu

« Reply #33673 on: February 18, 2024, 02:16:54 PM »
Oh, I didn't notice. The original graphics are better. I don't know why. I can't parse it. It's like the blocky graphics are aesthetic now and the "modern" graphics are boring and lifeless.
IYKYK

Polident Hive

« Reply #33674 on: February 19, 2024, 02:45:09 AM »
Reading about openlara, some of what they’ve done is amazing. I never expected old tomb raider to have a dedicated scene to this extent.

Himu

« Reply #33675 on: February 19, 2024, 03:12:15 AM »
That looks so good. PC wins again.

:wow
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #33676 on: February 19, 2024, 05:51:09 PM »
Theres also a mod to use whatever costumes

And I read something about holding L1+R1 when loading a save

What

Himu

« Reply #33677 on: February 20, 2024, 12:19:33 AM »
I'm convinced that if Crystal Dynamics made a Tomb Raider game with the core fundamentals of TR1: isolation, minimalism, ambience, tone, exploration focus, high challenge, high risk platforming, realistic platforming physics, item and resource management;etc. that they could have a viable alternative to Souls and Elden Ring. Essentially what these tombs are? They're dungeons. If they marketed and did it right, it would sell gangbusters. Call it Tomb Raider VI or something to make it a prestige title. Make Lara the lone person in a series of dungeons against dinosaurs and tons of prehistoric enemies like in TR1. Make it an interconnected map like Dark Souls 1 that you have to solve to progress through. I'm drooling just thinking of it. I swear to God they would make so much money if they leaned into TR's roots and made an alternative to Souls. Much better than copying Uncharted and since TR is an innovator no one can accuse TR of copying Souls because what I just described is Tomb Raider.

Am I the only one that feels this way playing this? Because it feels like a fairly obvious route for the franchise.

CD is sitting on a money maker, guys.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 12:53:49 AM by Himu »
IYKYK

Coax

« Reply #33678 on: February 20, 2024, 02:28:14 AM »
You might like Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, which is a kind of arcade-y take of the classic Lara. Defeating hordes of enemies twin stick shooter style, puzzle solving, platforming.

There's also a prettier sequel but I didn't find it as fun playing as singleplayer (heard it's more enjoyable co-op).

Himu

« Reply #33679 on: February 20, 2024, 02:44:42 AM »
Cistern was some Ocarina of Time Water Temple shit :damn

I'm convinced Nintendo owes a massive thank you to Tomb Raider for how they designed Ocarina's dungeons. :whew

They ripped this game the fuck off. :dead
IYKYK

Svejk

« Reply #33680 on: February 20, 2024, 09:21:08 AM »
I fucking hate the internet.  Went to look up one, little thing on A Plague Tale: Requiem that I thought I missed.  Amecia, the girl you play as, shaves the sides of her head at one point, and I was thinking I missed something.. when did that happen?.. was it because she had to get her head stitched up? Did her little brother Hugo (the kid behind the whole theme of the game and it’s rats) tell her to and I didn’t hear it?   So I looked it up and google proceeds to tell me in big, bold letters as the top answer..
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Amecia shaves her ENTIRE head at the end because, after Hugo DIES, she can’t put his flowers in her hair anymore.
Jesus Fucking Christ, google. Way to go.  :rage :dead
[close]

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #33681 on: February 20, 2024, 01:31:25 PM »
I'm convinced that if Crystal Dynamics made a Tomb Raider game with the core fundamentals of TR1: isolation, minimalism, ambience, tone, exploration focus, high challenge, high risk platforming, realistic platforming physics, item and resource management;etc. that they could have a viable alternative to Souls and Elden Ring. Essentially what these tombs are? They're dungeons. If they marketed and did it right, it would sell gangbusters. Call it Tomb Raider VI or something to make it a prestige title. Make Lara the lone person in a series of dungeons against dinosaurs and tons of prehistoric enemies like in TR1. Make it an interconnected map like Dark Souls 1 that you have to solve to progress through. I'm drooling just thinking of it. I swear to God they would make so much money if they leaned into TR's roots and made an alternative to Souls. Much better than copying Uncharted and since TR is an innovator no one can accuse TR of copying Souls because what I just described is Tomb Raider.

Am I the only one that feels this way playing this? Because it feels like a fairly obvious route for the franchise.

Haha Crystal Dynamics doesn't have that kind of talent. They aren't CORE Design
What

Polident Hive

« Reply #33682 on: February 20, 2024, 05:13:42 PM »
There’s a game I played on gamepass a while back, blanking on the exact name, something Abyss. Basically a first person Spelunky with pseudo multiplayer as ghosts, like in a racing game. Anyway, I’m not saying Tomb Raider should be a roguelike with generated levels and permadeath, but the fundamentals of those old games is strong enough to support something like that. Or even a Tomb Raider Maker. Everybody who played those games dicked around in Lara’s mansion because the controls were so crisp and fun. Really like the Legend/Anniversary/Underworld trilogy, too. Don’t get me wrong. But there are deaths in those games that feel like the character is misrepresenting your control inputs.

Svejk

« Reply #33683 on: February 20, 2024, 05:54:00 PM »

I agree.  It would be the only appropriate way to continue the trailblaze that these legacy titles did.   Even though CD has gotten the rights back and did a decent job with the “reboot” prior, I think this series, and its original gameplay will only become relics.  Millennials and other non-critical thinkers are too simple minded and suffer ADD to appreciate the craft of that golden generation of 3D game development.

And with supposed leaks of plots and character art, it’s not a good sign at all.   Glad that this Remaster got the love it deserved.  Really wish MGS got the same amount of care.

I need to pick this up.  Would like to see if I still feel the same about the lack luster TR3. 

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #33684 on: February 20, 2024, 06:15:40 PM »

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #33685 on: February 20, 2024, 07:00:33 PM »
There’s a game I played on gamepass a while back, blanking on the exact name, something Abyss. Basically a first person Spelunky with pseudo multiplayer as ghosts, like in a racing game. Anyway, I’m not saying Tomb Raider should be a roguelike with generated levels and permadeath, but the fundamentals of those old games is strong enough to support something like that. Or even a Tomb Raider Maker. Everybody who played those games dicked around in Lara’s mansion because the controls were so crisp and fun. Really like the Legend/Anniversary/Underworld trilogy, too. Don’t get me wrong. But there are deaths in those games that feel like the character is misrepresenting your control inputs.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/989440/Phantom_Abyss/
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #33686 on: February 20, 2024, 07:45:18 PM »

Phantom Abyss, cool game
What

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33687 on: February 20, 2024, 08:21:04 PM »

:cac :dayum :huh :cmonson :what
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #33688 on: February 20, 2024, 11:52:20 PM »

I agree.  It would be the only appropriate way to continue the trailblaze that these legacy titles did.   Even though CD has gotten the rights back and did a decent job with the “reboot” prior, I think this series, and its original gameplay will only become relics.  Millennials and other non-critical thinkers are too simple minded and suffer ADD to appreciate the craft of that golden generation of 3D game development.

And with supposed leaks of plots and character art, it’s not a good sign at all.   Glad that this Remaster got the love it deserved.  Really wish MGS got the same amount of care.

I need to pick this up.  Would like to see if I still feel the same about the lack luster TR3.

Millennials? Get your terms right old man. Millennials like me were kids then and very much appreciate early 3d.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #33689 on: February 21, 2024, 01:24:36 AM »

There's a reason I want to play Underworld.  :jawalrus :mynicca

https://www.reddit.com/r/TombRaider/comments/196pelc/to_think_underworld_came_out_in_2008_and_still/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #33690 on: February 21, 2024, 03:23:14 AM »
I tried out Tomb Raider II since I'm near the end of TR1 and...

I was doing ahegao face as I played this shit. The segment even ends in a bonfire lmao.

You mean...you mean to tell me that Crystal Dynamics has been sitting on a franchise like THIS in the age of Metroidvania's, Souls, Celeste, BOTW;etc. and they've done nothing with it? I loved Tomb Raider 2013 but holy shit. They're spending millions and millions with big budget nonsense when this is their franchises core identity in an age of Elden Ring, Souls, Metroidvania, Celeste, Meat Boy, Binding of Isaac, Risk of Rain?

They could add a multiplayer component and a Build a Dungeon/Tomb thing akin to Mario Maker.

Holy fucking shit CD is fucking distinguished mentally-challenged. This shit is SITTING RIGHT THERE and they're doing nothing?!?! The only option is big budget nonsense and turning their franchise into an Uncharted wannabe? I can't believe it.

Someone help me understand. HELP ME UNDERSTAND.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 03:28:25 AM by Himu »
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #33691 on: February 21, 2024, 04:28:37 AM »
The PC version has custom levels

https://www.trle.net/
fat

Svejk

« Reply #33692 on: February 21, 2024, 08:42:50 AM »

Millennials? Get your terms right old man. Millennials like me were kids then and very much appreciate early 3d.
I'm not very good with these generational labels.  :lol You'd think I'm a boomer.  I'll call it the Fortnite/Roblox generation.  :heh

Svejk

« Reply #33693 on: February 21, 2024, 08:46:09 AM »
Finally some news on Little Devil Inside!  Game looks charming as hell.

From the dev:
Dear all,

Began with a dream of two brothers.
You supported.
We became a team, then grew into a company and tried many hands to make light work.

Along the way in all efforts to making a great game, many great people have come and gone.
People with respectable but different purposes and pursuits.

In sharing these differences and thoughts, we were sometimes touched and moved and sometimes in conflict.
We are responsible for not being able to embrace the differences.

And of course, sincere apologies to you all.

So now, we're back to a smaller, bonded team with a single, common purpose - just to make a great game.

And all our core founding and starting members still here with the duty and conscience to fulfill what we set out to do.

We know this doesn't and shouldn't justify for all the delays and lack of news but we're still here, have been and always will be.

Equipped with one tide turning fact - having gone the long way around, we are stronger. Much stronger.

We have genuinely started discussions regarding publishing and once this clears out, hopefully we'll be able to answer what everyone wants to know.

Here, we've just strung together a series of gameplay clips representative of what we have been working on in the UE5 engine.

Thank you all.
For everything.

We've not forgotten. Never will.

Svejk

« Reply #33694 on: February 21, 2024, 08:47:33 AM »
And Elden Rang: Shadow of the Erdtree gameplay reveal in 45 minutes... (9:30est)
Edit: lmao... they started a 30 minute countdown at 9:30...  :lol :dead

« Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 09:36:57 AM by Svejk »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #33695 on: February 21, 2024, 11:51:09 AM »
SMTV is free from Switch, coming to Console/PC
fat

Svejk

« Reply #33696 on: February 22, 2024, 10:08:52 AM »
Rebirth is getting stellar reviews.  Maybe I'll suck it up and start it before DD2... So much good shit dropping!  :lawd

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #33697 on: February 22, 2024, 11:43:09 AM »

Im not wrong
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #33698 on: February 22, 2024, 11:44:02 AM »
And Elden Rang: Shadow of the Erdtree gameplay reveal in 45 minutes... (9:30est)

I finally got my casual bro to order Elden Ring  :lol

He played a bit of Sekiro on my reccomendation and quit just before the headless monkey fight tho.
Not cause he didnt enjoy it moreso he's a guy that bounces between games

I hope he really loves Elden Ring
What

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33699 on: February 22, 2024, 07:45:44 PM »

Im not wrong

ど助平

Himu

« Reply #33700 on: February 22, 2024, 10:30:48 PM »
I made a video comparing the graphics in the original vs the remaster. I prefer the OG graphics. MMarsu help me figure out how to properly format youtube videos so shit fits the screen please. First time doing this shit.

For a 1996 game the lighting system is fucking amazing.
IYKYK

Svejk

« Reply #33701 on: February 23, 2024, 09:21:39 AM »

I finally got my casual bro to order Elden Ring  :lol

He played a bit of Sekiro on my reccomendation and quit just before the headless monkey fight tho.
Not cause he didnt enjoy it moreso he's a guy that bounces between games

I hope he really loves Elden Ring
This is exactly where I'm at in the game actually.  I got really into it prior to ER to brush up, but just haven't had the time to go back to it.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #33702 on: February 23, 2024, 03:29:11 PM »
I made a video comparing the graphics in the original vs the remaster. I prefer the OG graphics. MMarsu help me figure out how to properly format youtube videos so shit fits the screen please. First time doing this shit.

Nice man
Are you using premiere to edit this?

Just right click the footage and use fit to screen or using the scale in effect controls when selecting the clip

What

Himu

« Reply #33703 on: February 23, 2024, 04:06:40 PM »

Nice man
Are you using premiere to edit this?

Just right click the footage and use fit to screen or using the scale in effect controls when selecting the clip

Capcut on Mac. That was my first video like that ever. How'd I do?
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #33704 on: February 23, 2024, 04:19:28 PM »
I like it man! The thumbnail is nice, the beginning has about 8 seconds of black screen which is less than ideal :P

I also prefer the video comparison to the still images but its a good first video!
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #33705 on: February 24, 2024, 09:19:10 AM »

Yup there is certainly an advantage to the coding to the metal they did in the old days.
DF mentioned that the 'Old Remastered' graphics aren't exactly the same as the original game though.
They cleaned up fog but lost some effects in the process too.

So if you want to play the OG, you need to pull out the PlayStation and enjoy the texture wrapping.

The most I remember about playing these on PC back in the day was messing around the Croft Manor.
Not sure if that was TR1 or TR2.

Overall an interesting year for 32-bit remasters/remakes with Gex coming up too.
🤴

Himu

« Reply #33706 on: February 24, 2024, 11:37:47 AM »
Gex day one.

Now that CD is owned by Embracer and they're really starting to do passion projects like this I'm convinced that SE had their knee on CD's neck.

I've started to adjust to the modern graphics. They look much better in TR2, which often is outside, compared to TR1, which is mostly in interiors.
IYKYK

Let's Cyber

« Reply #33707 on: February 24, 2024, 01:56:35 PM »
Unicorn Overlord demo impressions.

After 1 hour:   :donot :boring

After 3 hours:  :leon

At the end:  :itagaki

Day 1 on this now.

Polident Hive

« Reply #33708 on: February 28, 2024, 10:52:21 AM »
Overall an interesting year for 32-bit remasters/remakes with Gex coming up too.

Need Soul Reaver. Ideally all five legacy of kain games, even blood omen 2. But I’d take a raziel trilogy of 1/2/defiance.

Svejk

« Reply #33709 on: February 28, 2024, 11:29:20 AM »

Need Soul Reaver. Ideally all five legacy of kain games, even blood omen 2. But I’d take a raziel trilogy of 1/2/defiance.
All the first SR needs is proper QOL camera control.  The rest would sell itself.  Game was brilliant.

Coax

« Reply #33710 on: February 29, 2024, 12:02:37 AM »
The 1-bit dithered visuals of this visual novel game are cool. Playdate console exclusive though  :(

Bebpo

« Reply #33711 on: February 29, 2024, 01:20:38 AM »
The 1-bit dithered visuals of this visual novel game are cool. Playdate console exclusive though  :(

(Image removed from quote.) (Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

For sure!

Check out Critters for Sale for something similar.

Also World of Horror:

And not dithered, but kinda gives me similar vibes but in 3d (though there are plenty of dithered PS1 throwback 3d games too) Mundaun:

« Last Edit: February 29, 2024, 01:24:54 AM by Bebpo »

Himu

« Reply #33712 on: February 29, 2024, 02:00:31 AM »

Holy fuck
IYKYK

Let's Cyber

« Reply #33713 on: February 29, 2024, 09:21:23 AM »

Himu

« Reply #33714 on: February 29, 2024, 10:23:40 AM »
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #33715 on: February 29, 2024, 04:05:48 PM »

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
What

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #33716 on: February 29, 2024, 04:57:17 PM »
Finally gonna finish Alan Wake 1 after 14 years and 5 attempts

FF7 remake was great but bloated

Himu

« Reply #33717 on: March 03, 2024, 03:36:58 PM »

:dead
IYKYK

Svejk

« Reply #33718 on: March 04, 2024, 12:53:52 PM »
Contra: Operation Galuga comes out next Tuesday; 03/12. 

Played the shit out of the demo, so I’m all in for this.  Will tie me over just nice till Dragon’s Dogma 2 on the 22nd. 8)

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #33719 on: March 04, 2024, 04:02:58 PM »
Hi are you playing Balatro? You should definitely be playing Balatro
What