Author Topic: Borecast 36: Registration of Podcast Information Could Not Be Completed  (Read 5237 times)

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
Direct download:  http://media.libsyn.com/media/borecast/Borecast36.mp3

Borecast 36:  Registration of Podcast Information Could Not Be Completed (80022D11)

SEGMENT ONE

Movies

(5:10) Dead Snow

(8:40) Black Dynamite

Games

(17:30) STARCRAFT 2 Beta Impressions

(43:50) Dante's Inferno

(52:30) Heavy Rain (mild spoilers)

(1:05:00) Shellshock 2: Blood Trails

(1:08:35) Volvo: The Game

(1:10:40) IRON ROSES (!)

(MUSICAL INTERLUDE BY LISTENER KESTASTROPHE)

SEGMENT TWO

(1:17:20) Listener Comments

(1:32:55)  Contest Winners announced, sickening entries read in sexy voices

INDEFENSIBLE

(1:39:20) Doug's cruising for seamen

Talk to you again next week!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 12:51:18 AM by Eel O'Brian »
sup

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
sup

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
Why do you post links to the GAF threads on this?  Just curious.
PS4

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
for prole, mostly
sup

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
Sounds like someone had to defend Shenmue :teehee
yar

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
It would be awesome if PD and Cheebs did a movie review podcast.
PS4

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
It would be awesome if PD and Cheebs did a movie review podcast.

And Shake.  Definitely Shake.
yar

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
I think Shake's a little too busy with his real film studies to do a podcast.
PS4

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
I hope to never meet "International House of Animu" in a dark alley. Too much of what he writes sounds drawn from personal experience.  :-\
dog

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
Just downloaded it.  This'll be the very first podcast I've ever bothered to listen to.  You should feel honored. :P
PS4

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
Re: Borecast 36: Registration of Podcast Information Could Not Be Completed
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 01:21:56 AM »
:bow ichirou :bow2
sup

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 02:05:50 AM »
I hope to never meet "International House of Animu" in a dark alley. Too much of what he writes sounds drawn from personal experience.  :-\

but it was a heartwarming tale
萌え~

tehjaybo

• Kentucky-Bore's Last Hope
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 02:58:55 AM »

I hope to meet them, so I can borrow the Black Adder.   :lol
HURR

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 09:17:47 AM »
Syncing iphone now. :pimp
©ZH

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2010, 09:20:39 AM »
Listening to it now.  PD's crazy, Prole doesn't have a lisp. :lol
PS4

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2010, 07:51:46 AM »
Himuro annihilated in the Shenmue talk

Please keep playing more crappy games. I think you guys are best when you're condescending assholes, especially concerning games with outspoken fanbases.
jon

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2010, 08:00:49 AM »
Yeah, it was pretty good.  I mean, I listened through the whole thing and enjoyed it even though I didn't care about half the topics you guys were talking about (Iron Roses, Volvo, Dante's Shitferno) so that says something.

Think I'll go download the previous 'Casts now.
PS4

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2010, 11:49:21 AM »
i am turning into the crappy game guy :(

although i did buy deadly premonition specifically under the assumption that it was gonna be a turd in a box i could laugh at on the show,  but it turned out to be turd-shaped sweet godiva chocolate instead so i suggested it to prole, and now we will both rave about it
sup

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2010, 12:38:18 PM »
Do you have a link to the Borecast where you dodes talked about Bayonetta, Eel?
PS4

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
sup

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2010, 02:34:32 PM »
I would like to hear both Prole and Eel play FF XIII and talk about it on a show. Maybe even deliver a state of the JRPG speech
jon

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2010, 06:44:55 PM »
I would like to hear both Prole and Eel play FF XIII and talk about it on a show. Maybe even deliver a state of the JRPG speech

Final Fantasy XIII deserves a real-time video podcast.
©@©™

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2010, 07:49:18 PM »
What with the Mass Effect series' romance options, I'd like a Borecast detailing exactly how this differs from Japanese dating sims because it seems to me, it doesn't. Same fuckin' thing. :lol
PS4

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2010, 07:54:45 PM »
You can beat Mass Effect without even exploring any of the romance options.
dog

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2010, 07:55:24 PM »
You can do the same with the Persona games, doesn't stop people from mocking them.
PS4

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2010, 07:56:05 PM »
You can do the same with the Persona games, doesn't stop people from mocking them.

Who mocks the Persona games?

And in Persona 3 [the one I've played], exploring the romance options was directly tied into getting super-awesome Personas. So it's not entirely the same thing.
dog

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2010, 07:58:24 PM »
Not on this board, necessarily (well, other than demi), but I've seen it get mocked in other gaming forums for its dating elements (and I would argue character interaction in the Persona games is actually done better than at least in the first Mass Effect - I rescued Liara and two conversations later she's talking about what a mystical experience it would be to bang Shepard).
PS4

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2010, 08:07:15 PM »
Don't a lot of people make fun of the romantic scenes in Mass Effect/Dragon Age though?
dog

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2010, 08:09:40 PM »
I'm not sure, actually.  Since I didn't have a 360 before last year, I had sort of ignored all threads on those games.

Maybe a good topic for a Borecast would be a discussion on how JRPGs handle romance versus WRPGs?  That would be broader.
PS4

border

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2010, 04:02:51 AM »
Can our dear hosts please explain the difference between an honorable concession of defeat and a dishonorable ragequit?  Frag says that you should leave when you know you're beaten, but at the same time it seems like you guys want us to honor the winner's 30-45 minute time investment by playing out a doomed scenario to completion.  If you leave early is it a slap in the face (as Doug puts it), or is it just a considerate way to prevent your victorious opponent from wasting time?

I have to say some of my favorite griefing experiences come from developers that penalize quitters.  I'd be in a Halo 2 match and every member of my team would quit after a bad first round of CTF/Bombing, and I'd stick around just for the sake of making the winners sit through several 3-5 minute rounds of painfully lopsided 1 vs 4 gameplay.  I could just hide in a corner of the map and whenever the opposing team came across me they'd scream at me to quit so they could get on with steamrolling chumps in other games -- but since the ranking system heavily penalized quitters I could make the case that I didn't want to be downranked for quitting.  Of course I actually didn't care about my rank, and just enjoyed walking away from my TV to make a sandwich while a bunch of fratboys fumed over the fact that it took them 10 minutes to sit through a game that they'd obviously won after 2 minutes.

Of course this leads to a more interesting and nuanced question: Do you think that persistent stats and metagames encourage or discourage good player etiquette?  A developer can discourage players from ragequitting with a ranking system, but if you don't care about your ranking then you can actively turn other players' metagame-obsession against them, forcing them to waste time in an already-decided match because they're too scared of quitting and being subsequently downranked for quitting.  I don't play any RTS games, but being familiar with the genre's mechanics (**DRINK**), I imagine that once you know you've lost it can be pretty easy to grief just by turtling up and forcing your opponent to stay in the game as long as possible.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 04:09:06 AM by border »

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2010, 03:27:56 PM »
I'm not sure, actually.  Since I didn't have a 360 before last year, I had sort of ignored all threads on those games.

Maybe a good topic for a Borecast would be a discussion on how JRPGs handle romance versus WRPGs?  That would be broader.
From what my friend has shown me in the Persona 4 walkthrough, the main character in a Persona game would flirt like a whiny emo-baby but Shepard pretty much has to come off as a bit of a dudebro to get in to anybody's pants.  They're both relatively shallow conversation sequences but I know which one I'd prefer.

Plus ME actually had an explicit sex scene that got a lot of negative publicity so that also gives some motivation to actually virtual-hump.

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2010, 06:02:03 PM »
I just got that sex scene and I sure as fuck wouldn't call it explicit.
PS4

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2010, 08:55:58 PM »
Border -

Speaking for myself here, whether or not I quit a game depends on the situation.  Yeah, I've rage quit a few games before, I'd imagine everyone has.  Normally I'll tough it out, like in the Blur beta.  I may come in last in one race, but I know I have a shot at squeaking in a 2nd or 3rd place finish in the next one. 

There have been a few times where I've been getting stomped so badly in a strategy/etc game that I've pretty much told the other person we were both wasting our time, and we'd be better off disconnecting and playing someone else as it wasn't fun for either of us.

In the case of Warhawk, I've played a few unranked matches online with some real-life friends where people who are obviously experts at it would connect to our game, get in the planes, and just light everyone's asses up from that point on.  We'd all just disconnect at a certain point, seeing as it turned into a miserable experience for us and the five-star Generals (or whatever the ranking is) were obviously just game-trolling.

And if I am on a random team in an FPS game where everyone's great at it but I am sucking ass, I figure there's no harm in me leaving since I'm serving no other purpose than to bring them down (and sometimes they will loudly and repeatedly tell me this).  If I'm playing with friends and sucking I don't really care, as I'm having fun goofing off and bullshitting with them anyway.

Botom line for me is that I play games for my own personal enjoyment, and I have a limited amount of time to play.  While I will respect someone who has taken the time to set up a one-on-one game and tough it out, in games like Battlefield or Call of Duty I'll quit if I'm not having fun or feel like I'm wasting my time.  There's always gonna be another piece of meat to fill the empty slot I leave.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 08:58:26 PM by Eel O'Brian »
sup

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2010, 08:59:11 PM »
You're not a piece of meat to me, Eel.
PS4

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2010, 08:59:32 PM »
 :-*
sup

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2010, 09:00:59 PM »

From what my friend has shown me in the Persona 4 walkthrough, the main character in a Persona game would flirt like a whiny emo-baby but Shepard pretty much has to come off as a bit of a dudebro to get in to anybody's pants.  They're both relatively shallow conversation sequences but I know which one I'd prefer.

Plus ME actually had an explicit sex scene that got a lot of negative publicity so that also gives some motivation to actually virtual-hump.

The conversation sequences are both fairly shallow, but I would say that the thing the Persona games have going for them is that there are more conversations so the relationships get fleshed out a bit more.  Whereas in Mass Effect, the blue chick was already talking about asari sex two conversations in.  Such a slut.
PS4