Author Topic: Borecast 37: A Deadly Premonition About GOTY 2010, Our Pop Culture Rituals  (Read 4865 times)

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
direct download - http://media.libsyn.com/media/borecast/Borecast37.mp3

SEGMENT ONE:  The Other Ten Commandments

Take a peek into our dark hearts as we totally rip off an AVClub article - http://www.avclub.com/articles/personal-popculture-rules%2C38614/ and list our own pop rules and rituals for what we watch, listen to, read, and play.

SEGMENT TWO - Playlist

(1:01:15)  Deadly Premonition - My pot!  It's getting cold!

(1:20:00)  Class of Heroes PSP - also some Etrian Oddyssey talk

(1:32:15)  When Worlds Collide - 1951 Science Fiction Classic

(1:36:30)  A Fortress In Shadow: A Chronicle Of The Dread Empire by Glen Cook

INDEFENSIBLE

(1:41:10)  Doug explores the highly technical world of portable mammary physics

plus

Either/Or - tweenie witches (!)

We'll talk to you again next week!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 01:02:43 PM by Eel O'Brian »
sup

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
When Worlds Collide aka The NonWASPocalypse
Tonya

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
:teehee "peak"

spoiler (click to show/hide)
peek
[close]

spoiler (click to show/hide)
pique :'(
[close]
duc

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
i should probably look this stuff over at least once before i post it :lol
sup

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
Thanks so much for doing the editing and posting Kevin! :bow :bow

OK, so I am going to need a DS to play Infinite Space and Strange Journey. Should I:

a) Get a DS Lite, which is cheap.
b) Get a DSi, which is more expensive but supposedly has better hardware. The DSIWare titles I've seen don't look that appealing for my sort of gaming sensibilities.
c) Get a DSi OLD PEOPLE edition when they come out, and just accept the crap resolution on the bigger screen and hope it doesn't look too awful.

Learning towards a) right now, but am very open to feedback. Also, am only buying this for prole panty patrol style grindhappy rpgs and strategy games.
hex

EmCeeGrammar

• Casted Flamebait lvl. 3
I think the dsILL is more suited towards people who don't do gaming on the go.  I could see myself getting one if I was intending to play my ds in the confine of my home at all times, if only for a more ergonomical hold and bigger screens to input on.  The dsl isn't a bad choice.  Dsi brings almost nothing noteworthy.  Its sole purposi is gimped multimedia functions and a download store.  The good games on the store are mostly from nintendo and are pick up and play puzzle games.  You then run into the problem that the wii used to have once too many games are downloaded.  Once you run out of memory storage for your games, they have to be transferred to an sd card if you wish to put something else in its place.

So, in short, if you're planning on using it as a portable-get a dsl.  If you're mostly playing your "portables" at home, get the dsILL.
sad

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
Frag, do you own a GBA? There are several games for that system you may have missed that seem like they might be up your alley - the Advance Wars and Fire Emblem games, and Tactics Ogre for instance. If you don't, well I would go for the DSL, just for the backwards compatibility. I don't see anything that compelling on DSi myself, with the exception of DQ Wars (which isn't supposed to be good), I'd only get it b/c I'm a DQ whore. Not to mention the DSL is cheaper.
^_^

archie4208

I would go with a used Lite.  You can get one for ~$90 right now, whereas DS Gramps edition is pushing the $200 barrier.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
I have learned that if it is a Japanese game, it only takes about an hour after release before the ripped soundtrack hits the net.
sup

EmCeeGrammar

Hmmm, dsl is a good choice if only because you can scrounge around for all 4 advance wars entries. Wonderful strategy series, I was sad to let it go when I traded in my ds library.
sad

archie4208

Hmmm, dsl is a good choice if only because you can scrounge around for all 4 advance wars entries. Wonderful strategy series, I was sad to let it go when I traded in my ds library.

Considering the types of strategy games Frag plays, I doubt AW has enough menus and micromanagement.  :P

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
what did you specifically find terrible about it

robert is frag
sup

EmCeeGrammar

God, this was terrible.

Who the hell is Robert?

DURRR IF ITS POPULAR I DON'T LIKE IT

The elitist nature of the podcast has been causing me to be disinterested (I didn't listen to this week's episode)
I don't think any of you guys should care.  Just keep doing what you do.
sad

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
i am just speaking for myself here, but you can hardly call me elitist

i tend to find something to like about everything except mw2, shellshock 2: blood trails, and rosie o'donnell
sup

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
i defended garfield lasagna world tour
sup

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
well, we are what we are, maybe the topic lent itself to "do not want" more than usual

i don't think we can be pigeonholed as pure elitists, though, as all of us try to seek out lesser-known stuff and shine a light on it

i am always hoping for another pleasant surprise like deadly premonition every time i try some free-to-play or budget game

sup

EmCeeGrammar

i am just speaking for myself here, but you can hardly call me elitist

i tend to find something to like about everything except mw2, shellshock 2: blood trails, and rosie o'donnell

Well 2>1.  Personally, I don't have a 'problem' per se, as much as that its really hard to listen to sometimes.
sad

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
can you give me specific instances of elitism

i am just curious, not trying to stir shit or make any promises to withhold future bile
sup

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
thanks for the feedback, we are always open to criticism and have pretty thick skins
sup

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
i don't disown things i like, but i make no buts about being predisposed to dislike things that get *irrationally* hyped

if you're excited for something, i better hear some rationality behind that enthusiasm, or what's the point of discussing it

color me saint cornelius-esque, but mob enthusiam really grates

yes, i am an elitist prick
duc

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
I don't think it's being elitist. But if episode 38 has a section about how dumb Mojovonio is for disagreeing with Frag and Drinky then I will have to eat those words.
©ZH

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
I just don't see it. All I see is 3 guys who take time out of their busy day and give their opinions on different areas.
©ZH

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
what did we hate for being "widely appreciated"? i like all sorts of widely appreciated things: world of warcraft; avatar; tomb raider; tool; fuck, i even like matchbox 20 which advertises some sort of massive taste deficiency on my behalf. pointing out that the emperor may be butt nekkid in a fair few cases does not elitistl hate make; we're not suggesting people seek our approval, here!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 02:56:42 PM by Professor Prole »
duc

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
it's 3 am you must be lonely
sup

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
i've never understood what's wrong with being an "elitist prick"

T-Short

• hooker strangler
This was my first borecast listen, I liked this a lot. keep it up doods
地平線

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
the majority usually does demonstrate bad taste, how is this incorrect
duc

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
Awesome episode as usual.
HLR

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
i've never understood what's wrong with being an "elitist prick"

sounds like something an elitist prick would say
Tonya

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
I decided on a DS Lite, btw. Thanks for the advice! Will be covering Infinite Space and Strange Journuu~ in future episodes.

Regarding hating on something because it's popular-I agree that it is juvenile when its done without at least some critical evaluation of the thing itself. However, I'm a busy person and have lots of available media fighting for my free time, and at some point, for the sake of managing information overload, I naturally have-by necessity-set up prejudices by certain criteria that I have found in the past to be very reliable.

Take, for example, my friends on Facebook-most of which for whatever reason are music/theater critics, artists (dunno how that happened!), and thirty something parents. They often talk about the things they think are great. I know which ones I generally agree with and which ones I don't. When the latter group talks up something and the former is either indifferent or annoyed by it, I know that there's a good chance I won't like it.

There's also the notion that most of the things I note as popular in mass media I generally don't enjoy. I don't like romcoms (too formulaic, also I am a heartless being untouched by their stories) , horror fiction (uninteresting), and most pop music (I don't like the current half-assed dance beat derivatives most work from). So I tend, as a filtering mechanism, to write off entire swaths of media so that I can focus and choose more selectively on the areas I do tend to like.

But you spent a lot of time talking about why you like Deadly Premonition, which was appreciated, but you need to apply the same approach to things you don't like, otherwise it just sounds petty and I honestly can't take anything you say seriously.

This is largely impossible because I know that I, as well as Doug and Kevin, aren't going to tread through something we don't like on our own free time just for the sake of issuing a valid criticism-that is something for underpaid freelance writers to do, and that's not us (anymore!).

For example, I don't like the Beatles. I'm not going to go through and listen, multiple times, to their discography just to explain why I don't like the Beatles. I'm going to condense the reasoning, likely based off a smaller amount of negative impressions, down to a few sentences and move on, if that.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 04:27:19 PM by Fragamemnon »
hex

EmCeeGrammar

I think the difference between having a conversation among jaded individuals and recording a podcast is that you have to consider the audience.  Otherwise you might just be doing it for the attention.

ANYWAY, I just listened to this episode and it wasn't as bad as I feared.  One thing that bothers me about scifi...

Two space armadas in deep space are approaching each other.... ON THE SAME PLANE with every ship oriented 'upright'.  As if they weren't in outer space but underwater! Crazy!
sad

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
Two space armadas in deep space are approaching each other.... ON THE SAME PLANE with every ship oriented 'upright'.  As if they weren't in outer space but underwater! Crazy!

The z-axis aspect of scifi space combat isn't too important, though. It's not like aeronautics where there are huge advantages (potential energy via gravity) associated with altitude-for the most part, it's just a matter of firing arc orientation or shielding/hull considerations, which for the most part of pretty minor importance in most designs.

And a standoff I would imagine would look more like a "wall" with a grid of ships along a plane blocking one force from its intended destination (say, for example, a mass relay in ME's universe or a Lagrange point in countless other scifiverses).
hex

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
Skipping this one, there's absolutely no topics I'm interested in this time around. :(
PS4

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
in soviet russia, borecast skips YOU

:usavich :usavich :usavich :usavich
duc

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
Some aspects of pop culture are just dumb.  I can't help but think that in 10 years, we'll all laugh at the sanitized rage that is emo music and guffaw at the trials and tribulations of suburban upper middle class teenage girls as written on their blogs (accompanied with dozens of near nude images of them using MySpace angles).  Sometimes things can be casually dismissed because there is little depth behind these things in the first place; to assign any depth as to why a shallow pop culture event sucks is unnecessary, to add disproportional amounts of depth to something that was concocted in less than 10 minutes in a boardroom meeting.

Although I try to understand them because I'm trying not to be a cranky curmudgeon either.  Got to find a balance somehow.  Fortunately I like the dance beats in most pop today, finding it much better than emo garbage or crunk.  Unless it is Ke$ha.
🍆🍆