Author Topic: Will you say wow when Nintendo rolls out the new Zelda at E3?  (Read 19914 times)

SantaC

Re: Will you say wow when Nintendo rolls out the new Zelda at E3?
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2010, 06:42:05 PM »
I've been on the bandwagon since the game came out.

:bow WIND WAKER :bow2

:bow ZELDA :bow2

I was a bit critical when the game came out because of various issues, but the last few zelda games made me appreciate how good wind waker was.

Himu

« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2010, 06:43:49 PM »
Hopefully TP's critics learn to appreciate TP and its fab dungeon design. I can understand disliking certain elements of TP, like the OoT fan wank, but other elements in the game stood out so much in terms of quality I have no fucking clue how anyone could NOT be satisfied by that game.
IYKYK

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2010, 06:45:46 PM »
I don't ever remember being down on WW and the only real complaint I ever had about it was that it had way too much sailing.  I was pretty much onboard with WW as soon as I got my hands on it.
Tacos

Himu

« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2010, 06:47:14 PM »
*seems to be the only person who loved sailing in WW*
IYKYK

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2010, 06:47:43 PM »
you know i always tought zelda was just ok... i never got why everyone it's like "OMG BEST GAME EVER" especialy OOT which has barely any music in it

i liked tp more than your average zelda because i tought it had more personality,like you had this dungeon that was in a frozen castle upside a mountain and you had this giant yeti help you,that's a lot more cool (pun unintended) than just putting a random of elemental stuff (fire temple,water temple,forest temple) and call it a day

awakening is also pretty cool but really there was something really charming about old nintendo gameboy title,i can't really put my finger on it

the original zelda is what always got me stumbled the most... the hell? this is considered a classic? two annoying looping melody repeated in the whole game and all you basicaly get to do is to poke monster with a stick?
<----

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2010, 06:51:23 PM »
Well I liked the sailing in WW....to a point.....but towards the end of the game it just became too freakin' tedious, even with the warp song.
Tacos

Himu

« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2010, 06:51:33 PM »
The original game was great because of its exploration and scope. It's not as good these days though.

OoT is cited as "best game ever" because it's the first example of a 3d game that contains almost all elements that are present in modern 3d gaming: vast landscape, target/lock on system, non-flimsy controls (people forget how bad early 3d controls were), insane sense of scope with 9999x things to do. It serves as a template for modern 3d games and took the industry by storm.

Have you played Majora's Mask, magus? It's full of things like that.

Also, OoT's soundtrack is amazing.
IYKYK

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2010, 06:53:56 PM »
TP had maybe two dungeons worth speaking of. The Temple of Time was a great one, as was the Ice Temple. Outside of that, I've almost completely forgotten the dungeons. I had to YouTube Arbiter's Grounds to remember wtf Himumu was talking about.
SRY

Himu

« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2010, 06:55:27 PM »
One of the reasons why I didn't play WW until so late (2006?) was because of how hated it was at NeoGAF. Needless to say, I'll never trust e-opinions ever again. :lol

WW was flawed, but inspired. TP wasn't as flawed, but it was boring, drab shit that I didn't even finish. The graphics were freakin' terrible in some spots, jesus. I just don't understand wtf TP-lovers are thinking. What part of the game is better than OoT or whatever to make it the best Zelda? I remember this scene where you were in wolf form and there was this other wolf spirit or something, and they both started howling together, and it was supposed to be some grand melodic howling thing that's supposed to move the player emotionally. You know like movies do. I was staring at my television going "What the fuck is this shit?"
I should have known it was going to be shit from then on, but I kept going on. That's how it always is, man. I was like a woman who kept getting beat up by the husband, but stayed with him, kept on forgiving, kept on thinking that ultimately I was going to get a good experience out of it.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Boring As Fuck Contrived Stale Drab Brown Piece of Shit Princess.

Only the boss fights were good, but that's only a small portion of the game. Dungeons were good I guess.

I also liked sailing in WW.

TP felt uninspired in some areas, in others it felt refreshing. Like the mansion dungeon that Magus brought up, or the desert temple Arbiter's Grounds. The first half actually stands on its own quite a lot story-wise. It doesn't rely on tried and true Zelda traditions and even features someone who's not Ganon as the villain. It isn't until half way when the story goes bonkers and uninspired and tries to present OoT fan wank at every turn, but at the expense of some of the best dungeons in the series. If you think Arbiter's Grounds, City of the Sky, and Temple of Time were just okay dungeons I don't know what to say.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2010, 06:56:30 PM »
TP had maybe two dungeons worth speaking of. The Temple of Time was a great one, as was the Ice Temple. Outside of that, I've almost completely forgotten the dungeons. I had to YouTube Arbiter's Grounds to remember wtf Himumu was talking about.

We came to a consensus when TP came out that Arbiter's Grounds is probably the best Zelda dungeon DUNGEON in the series. It actually felt like a dungeon!

:bow
IYKYK

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2010, 06:56:33 PM »
My dad would record himself playing NES Zelda on the VCR so if he missed something he could go back and "consult the tape".  :lol
©ZH

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2010, 06:56:53 PM »
the original zelda is what always got me stumbled the most... the hell? this is considered a classic? two annoying looping melody repeated in the whole game and all you basicaly get to do is to poke monster with a stick?

In 1986 Zelda was an amazing game and there wasn't anything like it anywhere, but I agree it's pretty shit now and I could never go back to it for more than a few minutes other than to relive some nostalgia.

Same goes for the NES version of Rygar.
Tacos

Beezy

« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2010, 06:57:15 PM »
Also, OoT's soundtrack is amazing.
Agreed. One of my main complaints about TP is that I don't remember the music at all.

And City of the Sky was just okay. I never understood the hype around that one dungeon. I expected a lot more after seeing everyone gushing about it.

Himu

« Reply #73 on: May 11, 2010, 06:58:33 PM »
What I liked about City of the Sky were the double hookshots. :rock

I agree it's a lesser dungeon of the final half.

The only disappointing dungeon in TP to me is the fucking final dungeon. wtf
IYKYK

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #74 on: May 11, 2010, 06:58:41 PM »
nah OOT music is horrible
[youtube=560,345][/youtube]
this is background rumor,it's not music
this is good but you hear it like for 3 whole minutes

i played majora mask,i liked the whole kafei bit,like with tp it gave some personality to a game that is usualy just bland,plus i'm a sucker for groundhog day story type
<----

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2010, 06:58:46 PM »
arbiter's grounds and water temple >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> city of the sky
duc

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #76 on: May 11, 2010, 06:59:13 PM »
oot had shit music and instrumentation

:piss n64 :piss2
duc

Himu

« Reply #77 on: May 11, 2010, 07:03:03 PM »

my nicca 8)

water temple owned. I thought you hated that temple, though.
IYKYK

Beezy

« Reply #78 on: May 11, 2010, 07:03:59 PM »
yep

I actually remember OoT's music. Some of Wind Waker's too. Therefore, they had the best soundtracks from the 3D Zelda games. LttP was better though.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2010, 07:04:53 PM »
Let it be celshaded without stupid transportations like boat and train please.

What would be a non stupid transportation? No transportation at all?! I loved that boat, sailing around and spying islands, platforms and subs on the horizon was awesome, definitely not too much sailing for me.

I'm looking forward to a new Zelda if only because I'm really interested to see if they can string out the old formula once again and also make something I really enjoy. I don't really rate their chances of that though.
◕‿◕

Himu

« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2010, 07:04:56 PM »

but it had muslim chants in the fire temple!

IYKYK

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #81 on: May 11, 2010, 07:06:51 PM »

We came to a consensus when TP came out that Arbiter's Grounds is probably the best Zelda dungeon DUNGEON in the series. It actually felt like a dungeon!

You mean the two of us came to a consensus? I don't remember that shit at all.
SRY

Himu

« Reply #82 on: May 11, 2010, 07:07:29 PM »
[youtube=560,345]FBgny5nC2XI[/youtube]

:-[ :-[ :-[

You mean the two of us came to a consensus? I don't remember that shit at all.

No, EB!
IYKYK

SantaC

« Reply #83 on: May 11, 2010, 07:07:43 PM »

wtf, The forest temple music still haunts me today. That track is fucking epic and fits the mood perfectly in that mansion. I cant recall a single good track in TP, so if you call OoT background music, what is TP then?

Himu

« Reply #84 on: May 11, 2010, 07:09:16 PM »

wtf, The forest temple music still haunts me today. That track is fucking epic and fits the mood perfectly in that mansion. I cant recall a single good track in TP, so if you call OoT background music, what is TP then?

You niccas and your bad memories tsk tsk tsk

[youtube=560,345]oCCdv2YqrrE[/youtube]

spoiler (click to show/hide)
That said, the music is mostly forgettable, but Lake Hylia is the best Lake Hylia theme in the series
[close]
IYKYK

SantaC

« Reply #85 on: May 11, 2010, 07:09:29 PM »

What would be a non stupid transportation? No transportation at all?! I loved that boat, sailing around and spying islands, platforms and subs on the horizon was awesome, definitely not too much sailing for me.

I'm looking forward to a new Zelda if only because I'm really interested to see if they can string out the old formula once again and also make something I really enjoy. I don't really rate their chances of that though.

They should use some transportation that does not revolve around it like that stupid train in Zelda ST. Worst integration ever.

Beezy

« Reply #86 on: May 11, 2010, 07:09:49 PM »

Sailing wasn't all that bad, but there was too much dead space in the ocean. And omg the Triforce fetchquest... easily the lowest point of the game. I stopped playing for a while because of that shit.

I'd love another console Zelda game with WWs style though. Too much sailing and not enough dungeons were my only problems with the game. It could've been the best 3D Zelda.

Himu

« Reply #87 on: May 11, 2010, 07:10:34 PM »
I played a bit of Spirit Tracks at best buy. I had to use a train to get to Hyrule Castle. It was stupid and sucked and didn't feel like Zelda.
IYKYK

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #88 on: May 11, 2010, 07:10:37 PM »
Yeah I dunno wtf you guys are talking about saying the OoT soundtrack is trash. The soundtrack to that game, while midi and in terrible quality, is great stuff. I don't think there's been a Zelda game with better tunes. Wind Waker had like two memorable songs, and TP had none.
SRY

SantaC

« Reply #89 on: May 11, 2010, 07:12:27 PM »
I played a bit of Spirit Tracks at best buy. I had to use a train to get to Hyrule Castle. It was stupid and sucked and didn't feel like Zelda.

Agreed, the funny thing is that capcom's zelda feel more like zelda than that thrash.

Himu

« Reply #90 on: May 11, 2010, 07:12:40 PM »
Yeah I dunno wtf you guys are talking about saying the OoT soundtrack is trash. The soundtrack to that game, while midi and in terrible quality, is great stuff. I don't think there's been a Zelda game with better tunes. Wind Waker had like two memorable songs, and TP had none.

The best Zelda has the best Zelda ost.

[youtube=560,345]bt3qaWnY0aE[/youtube]
IYKYK

SantaC

« Reply #91 on: May 11, 2010, 07:14:06 PM »

yeah the N64 midi might had terrible quality but the music in OoT & MM >>>>>WW>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>TP

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #92 on: May 11, 2010, 07:29:07 PM »
Sailing wasn't all that bad, but there was too much dead space in the ocean. And omg the Triforce fetchquest... easily the lowest point of the game. I stopped playing for a while because of that shit.

Yeah I do remember that dragging a bit but I still enjoyed it.

I can't think of what sort of transport I'd have Link use in the next game. I don't like the horse and haven't played spirit tracks but the train gets dissed real bad. If they stick with medieval themes only hero worthy transportation I can think of which would fit with Zelda is the horse or a boat or something magical like a flying carpet or maybe some other kind of beast.
◕‿◕

Himu

« Reply #93 on: May 11, 2010, 07:33:18 PM »
A horse is fine if it's mostly on land. A boat is preferable if it's mostly on water.
IYKYK

Beezy

« Reply #94 on: May 11, 2010, 07:36:41 PM »
I loved rolling as a Goron and swimming as a Zora.

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #95 on: May 11, 2010, 07:45:24 PM »

The best Zelda has the best Zelda ost.

[youtube=560,345]bt3qaWnY0aE[/youtube]

Yeah I completely agree with this. I prefer OoT because it's more well-rounded as a soundtrack. MM has a very distinct theme and doesn't deviate from it. But I love both quite a bit.
SRY

Himu

« Reply #96 on: May 11, 2010, 07:49:48 PM »
I loved rolling as a Goron and swimming as a Zora.

Yessss
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #97 on: May 11, 2010, 09:41:25 PM »
Lake Hylia :wag
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #98 on: May 11, 2010, 10:06:30 PM »
[youtube=560,345]J6VqcU1DtJs[/youtube]

[youtube=560,345]EVpHPh_4uhs[/youtube]

[youtube=560,345]OSBu5fBl2Kw[/youtube]
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #99 on: May 12, 2010, 12:36:18 AM »

And yet it still had the most memorable and easily best soundtrack of any Zelda.

And please Prole don't use Midi as an excuse, I don't care how dated the music sounds dated as long as its good its good.

OoT's Forest Temple theme is still amazing.

That and the Deku Tree theme:

[youtube=560,345]Q07ucbI59nY[/youtube]

Uh...and the Zora's Domain theme:

[youtube=560,345]oxHUYI-Ow9Q[/youtube]
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 12:39:32 AM by Great Rumbler »
dog

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #100 on: May 12, 2010, 01:54:25 AM »
sailing would have been fine if you hadn't had to constantly use the awful wind baton
duc

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #101 on: May 12, 2010, 02:26:39 AM »
I think all 3D Zelda games are wonderful and all have great and memorable scores and dungeons in their own right.  Some do certain aspects better than others.  Shock and awe.
püp

cool breeze

« Reply #102 on: May 12, 2010, 02:41:01 AM »
With the exception of the two DS games, every other Capcom or Nintendo made Zelda game are my favorite games.  Hell, I even enjoyed the two DS games even though logic tells me they sucked.  I'll be excited for and buy whatever the next Zelda game is, whether it is a new direction or another OoT.

And 3D Dot Game Heroes rosebuds the two DS Zelda games.  Nintendo should give up on handheld/2D Zeldas and hand them to more competent Japanese devs like From or Capcom.

And I just realized I remember very little of Twilight Princess' music.  Hidden Village is awesome, especially because that part in the game was Link cleaning house in a western town.   Kicks ass in Links Crossbow Training too.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 02:43:57 AM by Linkzg »

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #103 on: May 12, 2010, 02:43:54 AM »
Eh, it wouldn't make a difference.  The handheld Zelda teams, currently, are a mix of the old Capcom team and EAD noobies, all with the usual Nintendo figurehead strong-armed direction.  It would be the same deal if they farmed it out to a third-party developer.
püp

cool breeze

« Reply #104 on: May 12, 2010, 02:53:11 AM »
whatever they're doing, they sure know how to kill what makes me like Zelda games.  Spirit Tracks had entertaining Dungeons and some nice puzzles but the pacing and amount of bullshit you needed to deal with was unacceptable.  If I wasn't a Zelda-tard I would have stopped early on.  The most absurd part is that Spirit Tracks is a portable game.  Like someone would want to spend their commute or elementary school lunchtime to endlessly ride a train. 

is it like a DS wide thought process, btw? Mario and Luigi 3 was also pretty bad.  I don't remember the last "traditional" game on the DS that I enjoyed.  At the same time, Picross 3D is fucking awesome, as are most of the puzzle games Nintendo puts out.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 02:54:57 AM by Linkzg »

twerd

• Twilight Nerd LOL
« Reply #105 on: May 12, 2010, 02:57:49 AM »
c'mon, everyone knows the DS zeldas have sucked.
wut

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #106 on: May 12, 2010, 03:01:30 AM »
Aw man, I loved Mario and Luigi 3.  2 was pretty awful, but I like 3 more than the first...

I'm not very critical on the DS because I spend so much time on it before I go to bed.  Lots of titles that I've enjoyed in these last few years have been mostly on the DS.

edit: yes yes, nintard, get it out of the way
püp

Oblivion

« Reply #107 on: May 12, 2010, 03:05:11 AM »
It doesn't rely on tried and true Zelda traditions and even features someone who's not Ganon as the villain. It isn't until half way when the story goes bonkers and uninspired and tries to present OoT fan wank at every turn

Wait, what? I think you have that backwards, himu. The first half (third?) followed OoT's temple template very closely. It wasn't until later that it actually started becoming its own game (at least until the very end with the very lame plot twist).

As for the new Zelda, I dunno what people complain about being an "OoT retread", but if by that they mean having a shitload of awesome dungeons, then I'll gladly drink to that.

Aonuma's great at certain things, but he always botches up some crucial aspect in every one of his games. This new Zelda's gonna be headed by someone else, so hopefully this guy'll have the chops to do Zelda justice.

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #108 on: May 12, 2010, 03:05:59 AM »
i hate to break it to you guys, but whether you can remember music says nothing about how good it is.  maybe you just suck at remembering good music, or suck at avoiding getting bad music stuck in your head
QED

Himu

« Reply #109 on: May 12, 2010, 03:22:34 AM »
It doesn't rely on tried and true Zelda traditions and even features someone who's not Ganon as the villain. It isn't until half way when the story goes bonkers and uninspired and tries to present OoT fan wank at every turn

Wait, what? I think you have that backwards, himu. The first half (third?) followed OoT's temple template very closely. It wasn't until later that it actually started becoming its own game (at least until the very end with the very lame plot twist).

I disagree. First half is better story-wise because of Zant. Second half sucks story-wise because of Ganonitis. First half felt like a love letter to OoT more than anything else. It, however, didn't feel like complete fan wank, though. Second half is definitely more OoT-esque due to the inclusion of Ganondorf and the Temple of Time.
IYKYK

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #110 on: May 12, 2010, 03:36:52 AM »
i hate to break it to you guys, but whether you can remember music says nothing about how good it is.  maybe you just suck at remembering good music, or suck at avoiding getting bad music stuck in your head

I never even considered that there were techniques for avoiding ear worms.  Interesting. 

twerd

• Twilight Nerd LOL
« Reply #111 on: May 12, 2010, 03:39:16 AM »

I disagree. First half is better story-wise because of Zant. Second half sucks story-wise because of Ganonitis. First half felt like a love letter to OoT more than anything else. It, however, didn't feel like complete fan wank, though. Second half is definitely more OoT-esque due to the inclusion of Ganondorf and the Temple of Time.

first half is definitely better story-wise, the second half is much much better gameplay-wise. fuck those mandatory wolf/midna areas.
wut

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #112 on: May 12, 2010, 04:12:24 AM »
Take off you cum-stained, pink nostalgia glasses and admit TP and FF12 are the best Zelda and FF games ever made you 16-bit fucks.

I wholly agree that FF12 is amazing, but I can't see what people enjoy out of TP. It's such a boring game. Bionic Commando for X360 > Twilight Princess
SRY

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #113 on: May 12, 2010, 04:20:28 AM »
Yea, the idea of wasting an entire day in line at E3 sounds ridiculous. Especially if the payoff is 2 minutes of buggy gameplay while being aggressively watched by Nintendo reps.

I remember going apeshit when TP was announced and guess what: I still haven't played it.
YOU DONT HAVE ANY CONSOLES

My Gamecube is at my parents house. I'd get TP but it's still $35 smh

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #114 on: May 12, 2010, 05:00:34 AM »
this is the best zelda track ever and if you disagree you are a tool :smug

spoiler (click to show/hide)
totaly serious here! it's just so whimsy and relaxing
[close]
<----

Himu

« Reply #115 on: May 12, 2010, 05:02:51 AM »
Take off you cum-stained, pink nostalgia glasses and admit TP and FF12 are the best Zelda and FF games ever made you 16-bit fucks.

TP is not the best Zelda imo, sorry. I don't even like 2d Zelda nearly as much as 3d Zelda.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #116 on: May 12, 2010, 05:06:26 AM »
Majora's Mask > TP
OoT > TP
WW = TP

All 4 are awesome.

Eat it borys.
IYKYK

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #117 on: May 12, 2010, 05:23:45 AM »
Ocarina Of Time > Majora's Mask > Twilight Princess = Wind Waker

As much as I love MM, this is the list that I agree with when it comes to 3D console Zelda games.
SRY

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #118 on: May 12, 2010, 07:59:41 AM »
I can't remember a damn thing about TP.  To me, that was the most souless, forgetable Zelda game on a console since Zelda 2.  Wind Waker was infintely more enjoyable.
Tacos

SantaC

« Reply #119 on: May 12, 2010, 09:13:29 AM »

fully agree that FF12 is the best. I cant agree about TP Though. The overworld, towns and the wolf sections were as fun watching paint dry.