14 (18.7%)
Gifting for XBLA
27 (36%)
Genius
10 (13.3%)
Free Multiplayer
2 (2.7%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: Xbox Live as Social Networking Service (added "free" choice)  (Read 2889 times)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
XBL gets so much right, it's really astonishing. I only have to hear my friends' experience using their PS3 to understand how much infrastructure MS has managed to get right. At any time, I can see which of my friends are online, what game they're playing and what they're doing in it, or even what they're watching on NetFlix. It's so nice to be able to mess around in one game while my friends play other games, but we can still hang out and chat. And they can toss an invite at me while I'm playing a different game, I accept the invite and ZOOOOM off the console goes and a few moments later I've joined their session in their game, chatting the whole time. But there are some easy wins they haven't put in place, and I don't see why they're not already in place.

Anyway, these have all crossed my mind recently:
Friends Who've Played This Game: Under each Friend, the "Compare Games" option lets me see what games they've played, when they played them, and which ones we share. I want the converse of this feature; in Games Library, I want to be able to select any game and have it list which of my Friends have played it, and when they last played it. It's the same information, just sorted differently -- why isn't it there? It would be a huge help in organizing multiplayer or co-op sessions.

It would also follow that within any game, selecting an Achievement should also allow a list of Friends who have it, maybe sorted by date to show who unlocked it first. Or maybe showing who has it most recently would encourage messaging to get a clue on how it was unlocked.

Introductions: There's -no- function for introducing Friends to each other. I have two Friends who are the rarest of rare: JAPANESE 360 OWNERS. There are like 20 of them in all of Japan; all the rest of the units sold here are owned by dirty foreigners or being used as space heaters. Just the other night we had dinner together, and afterward they told me they'd like to add the other as a Friend. "OK, let me just... send... No, OK, maybe if we're all on at the same time, I'll make a Party and invite both of you... aw, nevermind, here have an old-fashioned EMAIL."

Recommendations: There's no means of recommending or gifting a downloadable game to another Friend. It seems like the former should be trivial to implement, just an XBL text message "Chronovore thinks you might like this game. Download Trial Version?" I'm remembering a Recommend to Friend link, possibly pre-NXE, but maybe I just dreamed it. Does anyone recall that feature?

Gifting: Already a feature in iTunes. The amount is subtracted from my account, the license is awarded to the target user, and a message is sent to them. Seriously, the weeks where a game goes on sale for half off, they could make bank from people who want to play with friends. "You don't have it? No problem, have this, it's only 400 spacebucks!"

Genius: Thinking about the recommendation feature and then iTunes' gifting, the Genius feature there also struck me as a good option for games. Not just a broad strokes genre tool, but based on the amount of data MS has on each GamerTag, looking at the overlap of games and the types of Achievements a player has unlocked, it can search for similar patterns and recommend games. Maybe if only 10% of a game's Achievements have been unlocked and it's been unplayed for weeks, the game can effectively be considered "unloved," and its influence would limit returns of similar games.

Which ones would you like to see? Anything other ideas I can add to the poll?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 09:38:28 PM by chronovore »

OptimoPeach

Re: Xbox Live as Social Networking Service
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 09:28:09 AM »
Genius: Thinking about the recommendation feature and then iTunes' gifting, the Genius feature there also struck me as a good option for games. Not just a broad strokes genre tool, but based on the amount of data MS has on each GamerTag, looking at the overlap of games and the types of Achievements a player has unlocked, it can search for similar patterns and recommend games. Maybe if only 10% of a game's Achievements have been unlocked and it's been unplayed for weeks, the game can effectively be considered "unloved," and its influence would limit returns of similar games.
This would be pretty awesome for all the normal people that don't spend hours at a time nerding it up on video game forums
hi5

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 09:30:43 AM »
I love the idea of "gifting" and I wonder just why it hasn't been implemented yet.
PS4

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 09:35:18 AM »
I love the idea of "gifting" and I wonder just why it hasn't been implemented yet.

Because they can't charge you for it.
USA

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 09:39:50 AM »

Go back to playing your inferior version of Red Dead Redemption and leave this thread to the Xfags.
PS4

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 10:43:06 AM »

The gifter pays for the gift you fucking idiot.

Also they did have this feature a few years back but it was not carried over to NXE for some reason.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 10:50:26 AM »

What's sad is that he isn't even very good at his gimmick.

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 11:31:15 AM »
Yup.

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 11:50:58 AM »
They can't charge you ontop of the gifter's price you distinguished mentally-challenged fellows.
USA

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 12:03:31 PM »
Is there a way to double-Ignore a user? Like, when I've got someone Ignored and I still press "SHOW" because they're posting in a thread I made, can the forum software display something like, "Holmes, really? Do you REALLY want to know? I mean, you've already got him on Ignore..." so I can then click the [No, Thanks] button and avoid reading something that barely qualifies as coherent, something that wouldn't past even the most meager Turing Test...?

METHODIS, dude. Please try to follow along and pretend like you're at least paying attention:
Gifting would allow a game to be purchased for its standard price. It could be purchased by SOMEONE OTHER than the recipient, thereby opening up the possibility of purchase for a user who otherwise might not have bought it, either from lack of impetus, funds, or awareness. It can ONLY mean more money spent.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 12:04:58 PM »
Is there a way to double-Ignore a user? Like, when I've got someone Ignored and I still press "SHOW" because they're posting in a thread I made, can the forum software display something like, "Holmes, really? Do you REALLY want to know? I mean, you've already got him on Ignore..." so I can then click the [No, Thanks] button and avoid reading something that barely qualifies as coherent, something that wouldn't past even the most meager Turing Test...?

METHODIS, dude. Please try to follow along and pretend like you're at least paying attention:
Gifting would allow a game to be purchased for its standard price. It could be purchased by SOMEONE OTHER than the recipient, thereby opening up the possibility of purchase for a user who otherwise might not have bought it, either from lack of impetus, funds, or awareness. It can ONLY mean more money spent.

His "jokes" are beyond logic.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 12:27:30 PM »
You can edit the text that says "Chronovore invites you to be a friend"

You -can- still gift people games. Buy it on Amazon, or points (might be impossible due to regions) and give them the code.
fat

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 01:43:23 PM »
-Free online (obviously), or barring that, a "pay as you go" type online. I don't really play online all that often so the latter would work better, and be more cost-efficient for me if I wanted to pop on for a few SF4 rounds.

-Be able to turn off XBL sign on/off notifications without also turning off Achievement Unlocked notifications. There might be a way to do this already that I don't know about :P
^_^

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 02:01:00 PM »
I'm pretty sure you can disable every pop up except achievements
fat

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 03:26:34 PM »

My point was that Microsoft doesn't do it because they haven't figured out a way to do a gifting tax and get away with it.

Every other popular system can do gifting, except the 360. Why? Because Microsoft needs to figure out how to tax it.
USA

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2010, 03:34:55 PM »
You have to be the dumbest mother fucker on this forum.

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2010, 03:35:48 PM »
I think thats why they let me keep coming back.
USA

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2010, 03:42:31 PM »
The most important thing for me would be seeing friends that have played a certain game.
My point was that Microsoft doesn't do it because they haven't figured out a way to do a gifting tax and get away with it.
Every other popular system can do gifting, except the 360. Why? Because Microsoft needs to figure out how to tax it.
What sense does that make if you could do it before the NXE update?

If they wanted to add a "tax" like you say, then they've had like a year to do it.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2010, 06:42:11 PM »
You can edit the text that says "Chronovore invites you to be a friend"

You -can- still gift people games. Buy it on Amazon, or points (might be impossible due to regions) and give them the code.
Actually, thanks to your response, I'm thinking "region" might be why they don't allow gifting. If someone spends the MS Points to buy a game for someone whose account or even physical location (IP address blocking) would prevent them from downloading the game... it could be messy. Doesn't mean it's not worth solving: a check on the target's account region and most recent IP address can be performed, and if it is outside the item's parameters, flash a warning to the purchaser.

I don't understand your first line though; is that about Invitations?

There's no "tax" on it from within iTunes, and I'm aware that you mean "make additional money for the service."
You can buy games for other players from within the PlayStation Store? Nintendo's online store? Steam? What do you mean by "every other popular system"?

The most important thing for me would be seeing friends that have played a certain game.
What sense does that make if you could do it before the NXE update?

If they wanted to add a "tax" like you say, then they've had like a year to do it.
What are you saying was available pre-NXE that is now missing? Gifting?

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2010, 06:50:08 PM »
PS Store, Wii Store and Steam all have gifting options available.
USA

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2010, 07:14:54 PM »
OK, interesting. I'll look into those. Are you saying that they also choose to add a fee to the gifting user when they purchase for a different person's account?

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2010, 07:25:16 PM »

Bullshit. There's no such feature on PSN, I've tried to do this before on PSN and the only way is to send a voucher code, or if you can get a code for a game send that. However there is no option to 'gift' a game to someone or get a code for the game to redeem later which you could 'gift' to a friend, you can buy codes for PSN games at retail though. Same with xbox.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 07:27:38 PM by quietID »
◕‿◕

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2010, 08:00:26 PM »

Bullshit. There's no such feature on PSN, I've tried to do this before on PSN and the only way is to send a voucher code, or if you can get a code for a game send that. However there is no option to 'gift' a game to someone or get a code for the game to redeem later which you could 'gift' to a friend, you can buy codes for PSN games at retail though. Same with xbox.

He could be referencing that DRM loophole people use to share games. It is kinda like gifting.

Anyways, if this Premium PSN thing pops up for E3 it should be interesting (plus the meltdowns from fanboys  :lol ).

As for your ideas I like the Recommendation one
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 08:06:04 PM by Purple Filth »

naff

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2010, 08:18:03 PM »
A comment further proving my mental distinguished mentally-challenged

You have to be the dumbest mother fucker on this forum.

I think thats an apt response to pretty much anything this guy says.

He could be referencing that DRM loophole people use to share games. It is kinda like gifting.

You give him too much credit.
◕‿◕

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2010, 08:25:06 PM »
-Free online (obviously), or barring that, a "pay as you go" type online. I don't really play online all that often so the latter would work better, and be more cost-efficient for me if I wanted to pop on for a few SF4 rounds.

-Be able to turn off XBL sign on/off notifications without also turning off Achievement Unlocked notifications. There might be a way to do this already that I don't know about :P
Free online :drake

Does "Free" count as a feature? I'm going to start from a supposition that to some degree the services offered at Gold tier must operate within an ROI framework, limited ultimately by the amount of income generated by the service.

I don't even remember what Silver offers anymore. Access to Friends and Leaderboards was there, but not video chat and not multiplayer.

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2010, 08:38:56 PM »
And theres a 1 week gold exclusive on demos.

And yes I was referencing the game share, which is not a loophole.
USA

naff

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2010, 08:49:44 PM »
Sony will ban your account if they confirm you doing it. Sony didn't intend for people to use it so you can give other people games you've bought for free. We're talking about legitimate features not loopholes or workarounds.

Loophole - A way of escaping a difficulty, especially an omission or ambiguity in the wording of a contract or law that provides a means of evading compliance.

◕‿◕

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2010, 08:51:05 PM »
I read your post wrong... No there's no introduction thing. Though that is a bit silly. Just play in a game together and if they enjoy the company they can friend each other. Do you guys actually add random people?
fat

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2010, 08:51:27 PM »
Loophole: How Evilbore pays for Xbox 360.

Not a Loophole: Buying a game on a seperate PS3 account, not downloading it yourself and giving it to your friend.

USA

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2010, 08:52:11 PM »
How do you give them the game? Giving them your account details? Seems a bit risky... dangerous
fat

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2010, 08:52:48 PM »
You create a new account, you can use a email address, buy them a game on it, and then give them the details.
USA

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2010, 08:53:02 PM »
You have to make separate PS3 accounts to gift games? No wonder the PSN numbers are inflated
fat

originalz

• Z!?
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2010, 08:53:22 PM »
The 360 used to have a recommendation feature, I don't think many people used it and it was kind of annoying to be bombarded with recommendations.  I had a friend who would recommend any game that he liked, which was fine and all but I was aware of most of them anyway and didn't really need them.  I eventually just started recommending every single game on the marketplace to him, filling up his inbox with that crap.  I guess that was kind of funny, but it's not a feature that I miss.

Still, if they still had it, I'd recommend Metal Slug XX to every single person on my list!

TripleA

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2010, 08:55:00 PM »
XBL gets so much right, it's really astonishing.

You were never a PC gamer, were you.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2010, 08:56:14 PM »
You create a new account, you can use a email address, buy them a game on it, and then give them the details.

:lol
dog

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2010, 08:56:58 PM »
Not all of us are thieves like the Xbots who purposely stole codes that did not belong to them for free Xbox Live service.
USA

originalz

• Z!?
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2010, 09:02:26 PM »
Can't you gift stuff from the Xbox.com website?  I thought they added that feature in, or was that only something they were considering?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2010, 09:28:28 PM »
I read your post wrong... No there's no introduction thing. Though that is a bit silly. Just play in a game together and if they enjoy the company they can friend each other. Do you guys actually add random people?
Ah, no. Sorry for the confusion: I had two acquaintances who both own 360s but are not Friend connected to each other, only to me. We met for dinner the other day, and afterward each said "I want to add that guy to my Friends list" - That's when I thought about Introductions, something similar to the way Facebook has implemented it. "Message to demifish: Chronovore thinks you know A Slime Appears; add them as Friend?" That's all.

I'm pretty sure that's a rhetorical question, since you didn't even bother with a question mark. But rhetorical questions are always funnier when they're based on the wrong supposition. I played PC games first, actually. I didn't own PONG or Intellivision or Colecovision, so I started with one of these:
spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

And then got one of these:
[close]

I was a multiplayer PC gamer when LAN parties were the only good way to play Doom 2 or Hexen or Duke and Rise of the Triad. However, I quit playing PC stuff around the time the PlayStation came out because I didn't have to update my display adapter drivers, or clear space off my hard drive, install, uninstall, reinstall, pray to god the game wouldn't sodomize my Registry.

Son.

naff

« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2010, 09:44:05 PM »

Of course you could use the same fucking workaround on 360 too. If someone said to me 'hey here's a game, but you have to sign in to a different account to play it and download it' I'd just :lol in their face. I'd then point them to the Amazon PSN store for future reference.
◕‿◕

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2010, 09:44:51 PM »
You can't use that same functionality on the 360, you'd have to reclaim your gamertag every.single.time. you want to play a game.
USA

Saint Cornelius

• Always rockin' the sawed-off wisdom.
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2010, 10:19:51 PM »
I didn't own PONG or Intellivision or Colecovision, so I started with one of these:
[close]

wow so you're an old man like me???

I was a multiplayer PC gamer when LAN parties were the only good way to play Doom 2 or Hexen or Duke and Rise of the Triad. However, I quit playing PC stuff around the time the PlayStation came out because I didn't have to update my display adapter drivers, or clear space off my hard drive, install, uninstall, reinstall, pray to god the game wouldn't sodomize my Registry.

so much yes. I miss LAN parties. I mean I know they still go on in abundance... I miss my LAN party buddies.  :'(

dap

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2010, 10:36:33 PM »
I am. I'm old, and today I'm even grouchy.

Yeah, LAN parties were great. Hearing your victims screaming in close proximity is so much more fun than hearing screaming coming out of your headset.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2010, 11:00:01 PM »

According to AV:
Also they did have this feature a few years back but it was not carried over to NXE for some reason.

TripleA

« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2010, 11:33:58 PM »
Ah, no. Sorry for the confusion: I had two acquaintances who both own 360s but are not Friend connected to each other, only to me. We met for dinner the other day, and afterward each said "I want to add that guy to my Friends list" - That's when I thought about Introductions, something similar to the way Facebook has implemented it. "Message to demifish: Chronovore thinks you know A Slime Appears; add them as Friend?" That's all.

I'm pretty sure that's a rhetorical question, since you didn't even bother with a question mark. But rhetorical questions are always funnier when they're based on the wrong supposition. I played PC games first, actually. I didn't own PONG or Intellivision or Colecovision, so I started with one of these:
[close]

[close]

Son.

Interesting.

You were a PC gamer, yet you think XBL gets so much right and "is astonishing."

You're a rarity.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2010, 12:59:49 AM »
You have no idea.  :-*

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2010, 01:12:40 AM »

According to AV:

You couldn't gift games, only points iirc.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2010, 01:54:19 AM »
Part of me wonders if the gifting of points wasn't removed to allay fears of gambling. As I understand it, MS Points are a valid, registered form of currency. (Though sadly I don't remember with which agency it was claimed they are registered.  :-\ )

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2010, 04:09:53 AM »

[close]

[close]

Son.

Interesting.

You're a rarity.

not really. XBL simplified the crap out of all the stuff i did on the PC and made it all work seamlessly. Just because the PC platform may have caught up again in the meantime in terms of ease of use (thanks mostly to Steam) doesn't mean that XBL wasn't a major advance.
vjj

TripleA

« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2010, 08:47:30 AM »
By "simplified", are you referring to the godawful blades or the clusterfuck that is the NXE?

Microsoft succeeded in creating a hardcore gaming network on their closed platform. No one can deny this.

But let's not get carried away and forget where they got 99.9% of their ideas from.

TripleA

« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2010, 08:49:41 AM »
Interesting.

You're a rarity.

Not at all, Chronovore is absolutely correct. XBL really brought forth a lot of change to the entire industry. There's a reason why ALL platforms, including PC, have been cloning what Microsoft has done.

Such as cross-game chat, downloadable content, a reward system, and avatars.

Right?

TripleA

« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2010, 08:55:29 AM »
And in-game music.

Right  :D ?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2010, 09:41:10 AM »
Did PC gaming invent friends? :lol
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2010, 09:46:16 AM »
Xbox :rock
fat

TripleA

« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2010, 10:52:33 AM »
In all seriousness, I get where you're coming from and I'm not pretending that Microsoft had invented all of these services but I really do think their seamless integration has really paved a way for a lot of companies. On the console end of things Microsoft's XBL network and OS integration has pretty much set the bencmark for both Nintendo and Sony to follow and as a whole gamers have come to rely on and expect that level of quality in all of their games regardless of the platform. On the PC end of things you see Steam rolling out features which are pretty similar to what Microsoft standardized with the 360.

What was once great bonuses for the enthusiast PC market is now quickly becoming a standard across all devices and that's fantastic.

I absolutely agree.

Now it's time for both Sony and Microsoft to get a full app store running on their platforms. If rumors are to be believed, we may see something in a few weeks...

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2010, 09:37:34 PM »

Free online :drake

Does "Free" count as a feature? I'm going to start from a supposition that to some degree the services offered at Gold tier must operate within an ROI framework, limited ultimately by the amount of income generated by the service.

I don't even remember what Silver offers anymore. Access to Friends and Leaderboards was there, but not video chat and not multiplayer.
By the way, I want to clarify: This is not snarkiness. I was trying to figure out how to add your suggestion to the poll. "Free" is something everyone will click no matter what, so I thought "Free but with limited featureset" and realized MS already offers that with Silver tier. In the end, I wasn't sure what to add that wouldn't be a "well, duh" automatic click. I'll add "free multiplayer" since I think that's a single feature and in line with what you seem to want.

Incidentally, the poll gives three choices, so I'm not sure if people are even selecting the total number they're allowed.