Author Topic: Borecast 43: We Are History  (Read 4292 times)

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
Borecast 43: We Are History
« on: May 21, 2010, 11:25:50 AM »
direct download - http://media.libsyn.com/media/borecast/Borecast43.mp3

Borecast 43:  We Are History

SEGMENT ONE:  What if the Nazis had iPads?

Doug, Robert, and Kevin have a loose discussion about educational programming (with a particular focus on history), touching on school films, The History Channel, NPR, and our own favorite time periods.  Also some (non-spoiler) discussion about the HBO series The Pacific.

(47:30) Doug reviews the iPad, as well as several iPad games/apps including Civ Revolution, Battle for Wesnoth, Galcon Fusion, and Geometry Wars HD, Knights of Phantom Castle, and Ghosts 'n' GOblins Gold Knights.

SEGMENT TWO: Games

(1:24:30) Beat Hazard

(1:28:40) Eschalon Book II

(1:40:45) Avernum 6

(1:51:30) Motorstorm: Arctic Ridge

(1:54:45) Aliens vs. Predator

(1:59:00) Split Second Demo

Listener Comment (2:06:00) - The Madballs animated show

We'll talk to you again next week!
sup

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
Re: Borecast 43: We Are History
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 11:27:03 AM »
 :hyper

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
sup

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 12:29:32 PM »
Prole name dropping James Burke :bow2
___

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 12:41:31 PM »
ESCHALON BOOK 2 IS OUT!?!?!?!? SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Edit: May 26th, still close SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe
:9

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 12:48:27 PM »
too bad I can't listen to it in the car because MY FUCKING IPOD IS BROKE.

HLR

Rman

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 01:04:10 PM »
You guys scared me a bit there with the title. 

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 02:51:49 PM »
I just couldn't really think of a clever title, haha
sup

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 08:51:34 PM »
Regarding The History Channel: I get the European History Channel and it's infuriatingly bad. All they show is paranormal bullshit (ghosts, aliens and 2012 apocalypse nonsense), religious gobbledygook and motherfucking world war 2. I swear to god, WW2 saturation on History Channel is so high it easily makes up half the schedule on any given 24 hour cycle. And it's always the same shows. There is a show about the Luftwaffe and there is a show about Normandy, after Clint Eastwood went all ww2 there was a show about Iwo Jima too and they spatter it with random bullshit about Winston Churchill - which are about as balanced as war propaganda - or the bomb attempt on Hitler's life (Tom Cruise tie-in).

They do still mostly use reenactments rather than CGI, but that's probably because they don't fucking update their shows.

Oh, and they also have this "the lost cities" or "buried cities" programme that's about old European cities that have been built over (like Rome or what-not), but they have five or so episodes. I've seen 'em all by just zappin' while eating my breakfast.

Fuck that channel. Discovery too. I like Travel & Living a little these days as they have a lot of programming about various regional cuisine. I'm sure I'll have watched all their content by next week tho'.

:gloomy

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 09:13:29 PM »
Will download for tonight :rock

is Thor featured in this one?  :lol

TripleA

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 09:34:44 PM »
What are Dougs, Roberts, and Kevins usernames?

Oblivion

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 09:37:44 PM »
Doug: Prole
Kevin: Eel
Robert: Frag?

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 09:43:07 PM »
yes to all
duc

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 09:43:58 PM »
What are Dougs, Roberts, and Kevins usernames?

Moe Curly and Shemp
fat

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2010, 07:20:41 AM »
iPad will review :bow

Will prepare room with headphones & Kleenex
vjj

TripleA

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2010, 09:29:35 AM »
Doug: Prole
Kevin: Eel
Robert: Frag?

Thanks

TripleA

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2010, 10:08:36 AM »
I agree with the history discussion.

I think the main problem isn't showing the modern-day impact of decisions made a long time ago. The problem is history only deals with the facts.

This is why history is boring and uninteresting. It's fact A, then fact B, then fact B, then fact C, and onwards and onwards and onwards.

History lessons rarely goes deep into the emotions, the opinions, and different points of view surrounding decisions and actions of the past.

The crazy thing is it's not like these things (emotions, opinions etc) aren't documented.

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2010, 06:13:55 PM »
TOTALLY correct on History in schools. Then, when you have to relate stuff together in an AP exam, it's ten times harder because stuff like this is never explained in context, only in facts. It's a good thing that I had an interest in history and actually cared.

Also, here's some comments on some other points brought up that I experienced in high school history class:

- I actually watched The Patriot in high school in history class, Frag. No shit. In fact, we watched it in middle school as well (with a parent note). The only part that was routinely skipped was the "burn the church" part, because, of course, we can't show a church burning in conservative America. By the way, there's definitely separation between church and state in Laurel County (lolz).

- Eel, we did, for the most part, watch History Channel documentaries (the cool ones with reenactments) whenever a history class showed a film in class. Only very rarely was it something older than the nineties.

- If you thought the Patriot was a ridiculous showing for the Revolutionary War, the same teacher taught the Wild West period by showing Shane. No joke.
HLR

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2010, 10:31:53 PM »
SEGMENT ONE:  What if the Nazis had iPads?

I don't listen to podcasts, but damn if that's not the best topic I've ever seen on one.

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2010, 10:45:48 PM »
I wish I could be a special guest. This is my favorite podcast.
USA

OptimoPeach

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2010, 10:54:42 PM »
Sucks to hear that about The Pacific. I figured it wasn't too great after it aired and the hype for it was basically nonexistent, but I was hoping people were just sleeping on it. Oh well
hi5

Dickie Dee

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2010, 11:29:14 PM »
I couldn't disagree more with Eel about The Pacific, especially about the "Vietnamization" of WWII. What "agenda" did you think the show was presenting?

I agree about it's disjointed nature, but that just comes from not following one company that draws an arrow path through the European front, it's just the nature of the entire Pacific theater strategy. Telling it's story from a ground POV is going to feel disjointed.

Sledge+Snafu > anyone in BoB
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 12:45:16 AM by Mamacint »
___

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2010, 12:56:05 AM »
i didn't like it (didn't even watch the last episode), you're free to disagree and i'm glad you enjoyed it

sup

Dickie Dee

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2010, 01:10:42 AM »
It's unevenness it pretty hard to argue (even if it can be historically justified), and you definitely spend way too long not caring about any of the characters, but it steadily builds as it goes on imo. Despite all of it's talk of being the spiritual sequal to BoB, it really is a different beast. I actually got more out of it (at least the good episodes) despite how jarring it's pacing is.

The last episode is quite nice, though low key. If you didn't get much out of the previous ones and don't feel like following up post-War with Sledge/Leckie I'd doubt you'd get much out of it, tbh.

On a side note, it was kinda sad to see how few of these guys were still around for the intros, even compared to BoB. That really hit home in the epilogue.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 01:14:20 AM by Mamacint »
___

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2010, 10:04:16 AM »
Good episode.

I don't watch TV at all because for the most part, its purpose is to entertain.  Dry historical accounts of wars just don't bring the audiences.  Not surprising that the History Channel has practically ignored history entirely.  When I did watch TV, all I remembered seeing were WWII specials.  I understand it was a significant war but it was all that they would ever show.

I find history extremely interesting but I get it all from books and the internet.  My favorite area of history is Communism from the meat grinder states (USSR, Maoist China, North Korea) which I find fascinating.  Did Frag mention The Thirty Years War book from CV Wedgwood?  I think he did but that was one of my more favorite books I've read in the last few months.

I liked Prole's review of the iPad.  I dislike Apple products greatly so I'll wait for a quality Windows based competing product.  I don't participate too heavily on the internet these days and a touch screen tablet would work great for just browsing the internet and on the treadmill.
🍆🍆

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2010, 01:04:36 PM »
Great episode, so far; I always wind up falling asleep halfway through since I listen while in the bed, so I'll hear the second part tonight lol

I was homeschooled through middle school and 9th grade, so the first "real" history class I remember having was at a community college when I was technically in 11th grade. During the homeschool days my history books were basically Christian/right wing revisionism. Native Americans brought their doom on themselves due to alcohol, slavery didn't last that long, and Ronald Reagan was the greatest president of all time. It seemed like America died when Clinton was elected because the book only had a few paragraphs on him, iirc starting something like "as abortions rose, the country lost touch with God. Clinton became president." Which of course launched into an argument on how he "barely" won.

On MLK it basically said he had a good message but lost his way/credibility as he began to protest Vietnam and pal around with communists. Malcolm X was simply a racist, and today he's worshiped by many blacks who don't seem to care Mr. X stood for violence and segregation. Mandela was a communist. Fun shit. If I find one of those old textbooks I might send it to you guys for laughs.

Also agreed on the way history is taught. For me, it was no different than science in the sense that I was merely memorizing bold words, with some dates thrown in. The only understanding I needed was enough to choose the right multiple choice letter. Once I got to high school I had to write essays and explain my reasoning. Luckily I had always been interested in history and read a lot, so the change wasn't too jarring.

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2010, 01:14:34 PM »
Hey PD, were the textbooks from "A Beka Book?" I went to a private Christian school from kindergarten through fourth grade and we had those books. While we didn't really study recent history in those books, what you said about Native Americans sounds about right.

HLR

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2010, 01:16:02 PM »
Yup, A Beka :rofl

We used it for all official subjects - history, science, civics, english, math, etc
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 01:42:40 PM by Phoenix Dark »

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2010, 02:11:51 PM »
Yup, A Beka :rofl

We used it for all official subjects - history, science, civics, english, math, etc

I've got a few old history books from Beka I'm thinking about looking through now. I'm glad I discovered A People's History of the United States in late high school/college. At least that helped me rewrite how history happened in my head slightly.

I don't remember it being THAT bad of a right wing slant, but then again, I was fucking in fourth grade. That's a long time ago.
HLR

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2010, 03:59:05 PM »
The later books, like 8th grade and up are pretty blatant.

I played basketball at a baptist private school from about 7th to 9th grade (and took a biology class there), and it was even more ridiculous there. They used the Bob Jones curriculum. One time I walked into the history class with some of my friends from the school; it was after school and the teacher was cleaning up. There were pictures of Reagan and W Bush everywhere and I asked something along the lines of "why all these pictures of Bush?" The teacher brought up abortion and said Christians shouldn't vote for Gore/liberals. I forgot what I said, but I wound up having to go to the principle's office, and he gave me a run down of the entire abortion process.

They also had an "ugly wall" in one of the halls, which basically had pictures of the ungodly. So there was a picture of Harry Potter and some rock star, but there was also a picture of Bin Laden and Al Gore.

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2010, 06:21:19 PM »
The later books, like 8th grade and up are pretty blatant.

I played basketball at a baptist private school from about 7th to 9th grade (and took a biology class there), and it was even more ridiculous there. They used the Bob Jones curriculum. One time I walked into the history class with some of my friends from the school; it was after school and the teacher was cleaning up. There were pictures of Reagan and W Bush everywhere and I asked something along the lines of "why all these pictures of Bush?" The teacher brought up abortion and said Christians shouldn't vote for Gore/liberals. I forgot what I said, but I wound up having to go to the principle's office, and he gave me a run down of the entire abortion process.

They also had an "ugly wall" in one of the halls, which basically had pictures of the ungodly. So there was a picture of Harry Potter and some rock star, but there was also a picture of Bin Laden and Al Gore.

Wow.

At one point I hated my parents because at that point I had no social skills and was thrust into public schooling where I was tormented until I turned 15 or 16, but now I am much more thankful for public schooling.

That actually may be the defining moment of my life. If I would have still went to private schools, I probably would be very misinformed and very close-minded.
HLR

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2010, 06:57:55 PM »
Yea. I had some of the most fun in my life in "high school"
http://www.themiddlecollege.org/needToknow/program.html

I finally got asked "why." Mesmerizing bold words no longer worked, and my mind was opened in general - through teachers, students from different backgrounds, teen drama lol, etc. Then once I got to take college classes I took history classes in segments, which is a good idea, pretty much in line with what Frag was advocating in the podcast. I took a class that covered the founding of the country through the 1850s, one on the civil war and reconstruction, 1900s-WWII, and end of WWII to present. History has always appealed to me.

On the history channel...it was one of my favorite channels growing up. I hated Modern Marvels though lol, and all the similar shows that seemed more like Discovery Channel shows. I liked stuff about how say, ancient Egypt or Rome were built, but I couldn't care less about how Chicago was built.

During many days of the week, we were only allowed to watch an hour of television a day, but I remember convincing my mom that we should be able to watch PBS and the History Channel more, since they were educational. Of course, most of that time went towards alien/religion conspiracy stuff, which rocked imo.  :lol

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2010, 07:38:35 PM »
You guys need a catch phrase.  "Mid-week confirmed" would be cool if the show actually followed its schedule of being delivered on Wednesday.