Author Topic: Summer 2010's next box office bomb brought to you by M. Night Shyamalan  (Read 5923 times)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/last_airbender/

Quote from: Orlando Sentinel
This colossal folly, the fiasco of the summer of 2010 — gives us all a ringside seat at the sight of Mr. “I See Dead People’s” career gurgling down the drain.

Quote from: AP
The Last Airbender is a joyless, soulless, muddled mess, but the worst part of all doesn't come until the very end. That's when it makes the clear suggestion that two more such movies are in store for us.

Quote from: Roger Ebert
The Last Airbender is an agonizing experience in every category I can think of and others still waiting to be invented.

Quote from: Boston Globe
The Last Airbender is dreadful, an incomprehensible fantasy-action epic that makes the 2007 film The Golden Compass, a similarly botched adaptation of a beloved property from another medium, look like a four-star classic.

Quote from: Hollywood Reporter
Even during the climax, the film still is struggling to introduce the world of the film and its strange rules.

0% from 10 reviews, 2.4 average.

:rofl
dog

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
I knew once they abandoned it being a proper cartoon movie, like the show, it was going to be a disaster. I'm not taking my kids to see this. Will wait for BR rental.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 03:22:14 PM by Zero Hero »
©ZH

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Just take your kids to see Inception instead.
dog

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
I don't know anything about inception.  :-\
©ZH

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
It's going to be the movie of the century. Is there anything else you need to know?
dog

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
The Expendables >> Inception

Stop sucking Nolan's cock people.
CBG

Mupepe

• Icon
Writer (WGA): M. Night Shyamalan (written by)

He seriously needs to stop writing and just direct.  The dude has talent but it's definitely not in his fucking writing.

Mupepe

• Icon

I agree.

We don't know anything about it really and people are jizzmjazzming over it.  There are parts of TDK that are terrible.  Why do people forget that?

Brehvolution

It's going to be the movie of the century. Is there anything else you need to know?
Your word is enough, hun.  :-*
©ZH

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
Writer (WGA): M. Night Shyamalan (written by)

He seriously needs to stop writing and just direct.  The dude has talent but it's definitely not in his fucking writing.

I'm not even honestly sure he is talented. He's made one good movie. The sixth sense. One incredibly over-rated nerd movie. Unbreakable. And the rest is average or way below average.

At a certain point you have to look at his track record and its becoming increasingly clear that he had one good idea and one good movie in him. And that was it.  
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 03:36:34 PM by Stoney Mason »

Mupepe

• Icon
# The Last Airbender Dunno
# The Happening Holy god I'll give you this one. LOL  I still think it's a satire.
# Lady in the Water Great concept.  Really great concept in fact.  Even better cinematography and directing.  Horrible execution via the writing.
# The Village See below.  Even the premise was awesome until the tweest. 
# Signs Terrible, terrible writing but I still think great direction and cinematography considering how terrible the script was
# Unbreakable Overated but still good.
# Stuart Little F off!  Good
# The Sixth Sense Good

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
Probably has some distinguished mentally-challenged twist like revealing it's just a bunch of kids playing make-believe.  

Mupepe

• Icon
Probably has some distinguished mentally-challenged twist like revealing it's just a bunch of kids playing make-believe.  
:lol :lol :lol

Stoney Mason

:bow Mark Wahlberg :bow2

Outside of Boogie Nights, I've always been amazed this dude has an acting career.

Brehvolution

Say hi to your mother for me.
©ZH

Bacchus7

DTF

Outside of Boogie Nights, I've always been amazed this dude has an acting career.

He was the only good part of I Heart Huckabees.
野球

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
loved him in The Corrupter
Tonya

Stoney Mason

There are two hilarious scenes in the Happening that unfortunately I can't find on youtube. One is where Wahlberg is the teacher talking about the bees and he is putting on his smart voice. The other is when he does this teasing thing with Zooey Deschanel where he pretends he is mad at her.

I pretty much can't take him seriously in anything especially when he is playing a "badass". He only works for me when is sort of playing an idiot.

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
Finally a thread went up for this  :lol :lol

from what i'm reading he fucked up this Movie big time, removing lots of stuff.

Might watch this trainwreck for the lolz

Robo

Wahlberg is pretty amazing in comedic roles.  I'm surprised he doesn't take them (or isn't offered them) more often.
obo

Robo

I just remembered he's in The Other Guys with Will Farrell.  That could be good.
obo

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
Donnie's the better actor

:bow Lipton :bow2
sup

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
I heard the twist is that this happens in the future, it's a sequel to 2012.

Fresh Prince

• a one-eyed cat peepin' in a seafood store
The cartoon was aight. For a kiddy thing.

Rman

There's a twist to this movie too? :lol

Smooth Groove

There's a twist to this movie too? :lol

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
I'm not even honestly sure he is talented. He's made one good movie. The sixth sense. One incredibly over-rated nerd movie. Unbreakable. And the rest is average or way below average.

At a certain point you have to look at his track record and its becoming increasingly clear that he had one good idea and one good movie in him. And that was it.  

Unbreakable is one of the best comic films ever made, even though it's not based on a comic; it's better than Sixth Sense. SMH sir

He's a talented director with an eye for nice shots/technically proficiency. The problem is that he can't write for shit and is too arrogant to recognize this. Sixth Sense was such a huge success it's not hard to see a young director growing a big head/ego over it, but you'd think by now he would have matured or at least realized his limits. Instead he just keeps.

Unbreakable disappointed some critics but it did well at the box office and gained a nice cult following. Signs did well across the board (imo the bad writing ruins that movie). That was basically the last big success he had. I probably obsessed over The Village more than any movie, but when it came out I was pretty disappointed. And then there was Lady in the Water and The Happening. In short, he's been in a slump for years.

Himu

Hahaha

M Night. hahahaha
IYKYK

Stoney Mason

Unbreakable is one of the best comic films ever made, even though it's not based on a comic; it's better than Sixth Sense. SMH sir

I had a feeling you would be the type who would think its great.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
And Willco. Sorry you can't be on the cool bus, old man :smug

*bumps bad rap in the dodge minivan*
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 07:52:00 PM by Phoenix Dark »

Stoney Mason

That is indeed one cool bus...

Robo

I also really like Unbreakable.  -1 for the cool bus.  :'(
obo

Fresh Prince

• a one-eyed cat peepin' in a seafood store
I wouldn't want to be in a bus PD is driving :smug

Smooth Groove

The revelation of Samuel L Jackson's true character was really corny and diminished the overall quality of the film.  

I wouldn't want to be in a bus PD is driving :smug

Too bad you have no choice 'cause it's a short one.  :teehee

Stoney Mason

I don't hate the film. I actually consider it worth watching. Just not nearly at the level you see nerds slobber over it on internet forums. Hence my "over-rated" comment. And I agree about Jackson. In fact there was a good deal that was very corny in the film. In fact most of Shyamalan stuff, even the better stuff is full of corn. Especially fucking signs which is a movie that I orignally kinda liked but gets worse every time you watch it again.

But whatever. People like what they like.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 08:14:13 PM by Stoney Mason »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator

I agree.

We don't know anything about it really and people are jizzmjazzming over it.  There are parts of TDK that are terrible.  Why do people forget that?

It's not like Inception is some big mystery, it's action movie with elements of scifi about a guy who steals ideas from people using a device used to create dreamworlds. I like the still shots, the trailers, the cast, the crew, and the concept, so...why should I not be hyped about it?
dog

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
I think all of his movies have been a little bit worse than the one before, until finally he's come to wallow at a Uwe Boll level of ineptitude. It's a pretty impressive accomplishment actually.

The Sixth Sense = Great
Unbreakable = Really Good
Signs = Good
The Village = Bad
Lady in the Water = Really Bad
The Happening =  :poop
©@©™

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
By now Shyalaman has proven he is one of the worst directors working.

The Village was kinda bad, but then he went all out with the Lady in the Water. And then he said "I can top this shit" and it happened. Apparently he thought "I can do just as bad, but go bigger", and so he made Airbender.

The guy is crazy

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
I uh, thought the trailer looked kind of cool?

OK, it looked like a jumbled mess, but it was at least spectacular, and EVERY trailer these days makes the film look like a jumbled mess.
vjj

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
IT'S HAPPENING GUYS
HLR

TripleA

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
It's up to 4% now!  :hyper
Hi

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon

Lipton + Detective Joel Stevens =  :bow2 :bow2
MMA

Mandark

• Icon
I uh, thought the trailer looked kind of cool?

OK, it looked like a jumbled mess, but it was at least spectacular, and EVERY trailer these days makes the film look like a jumbled mess.

Yeah.  I was pessimistic cause of Shyamalan and the racebending stuff (not as an injustice but as an indication of more dumb decisions to come), but the trailer was surprisingly decent.

Converting a season of episodic television into a movie is gonna create problems, but the premise should have at least given them the basis for a brisk plot and some fun set pieces.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
Thank god, i was beginning to doubt my own sanity for a minute there. I'm not tripping over myself to go see it or anything but the trailer actually made me fairly interested in a property I knew nothing about beforehand.
vjj

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
It's up to 6% on Rotten Tomatoes now. :lol
PS4

chronovore

• relapsed dev
I had no idea what anyone was talking about, but the flyer for this JUST started showing up in Japanese theaters. It's got a pretty flyer. I liked Lady in the Water, Unbreakable, and The Sixth Sense. Wasn't fond of Signs, and I've not seen anything else. I think Shamalamadingdong gets a bad rap for being so out in front in his movies, and I think it was kind of a mistake for him to be in Lady. Other than that, he's cool.

BobFromPikeCreek

What the hell is wrong with you people? The Happening was hilarious.
zzzzz

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
The Happening was great. Pretty much everyone missed the point with that movie.
nat

drew

• sy
just like with pre adolescent girls, right?

you are so misunderstood

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
someone at gaf made a funny

nat

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual

Lipton + Detective Joel Stevens =  :bow2 :bow2

yeah, the first season of boomtown was awesome, too bad they panicked about the ratings and changed the format so much in the second season (which was okay, but not great)
sup

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator

The point was to make a terrible movie on every level that's so bad that it's funny. Congratulations, M. Night!
dog

Stoney Mason

The funny bit is that I even have a soft spot in my heart for the happening even though I can intellectually recognize its god damn historically awful.

I sort of like the premise and there are indidvidual scenes that work in the movie quite well. But as a cohesive movie its right up there with MST3k type movies like Time Chasers or Space Mutiny.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
sup

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
vjj

Stoney Mason

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100630/REVIEWS/100639999

Well, I guess that about wraps it up for Night.

The animation of the Nickelodeon TV series drew on the bright colors and "clear line" style of such masters as Miyazaki, and was a pleasure to observe. It's in the very nature of animation to make absurd visual sights more plausible.

Since "Airbender" involves the human manipulation of the forces of air, earth, water and fire, there is hardly an event that can be rendered plausibly in live action. That said, its special effects are atrocious.

This is honestly my problem with all superhero movies. In animation I'm fine with people doing all these superhero things but whenever I watch one of these superhero movies. Even the big budget ones. It all looks so patently silly.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR

The point was to make a terrible movie on every level that's so bad that it's funny. Congratulations, M. Night!

yup.

i'm not kidding. it's bad on purpose.
nat

drew

• sy
just like your taste in women, right?

you are so misunderstood.