Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1532512 times)

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
Re: The NBA thread (All-Star Snubs!)
« Reply #11700 on: February 01, 2014, 02:48:03 PM »
The Indiana Pacers added size and depth Saturday when they signed center Andrew Bynum to a contract for the rest of the season.

The Pacers will pay Bynum $1 million for the remainder of the season, a source told ESPN

Bynum, who will join the Pacers next week, will back up All-Star Roy Hibbert along with Ian Mahinmi. Also featuring power forwards David West and Luis Scola, the Pacers will have some of the best depth in the NBA at the big man positions.

The move also kept Bynum away from the rival Miami Heat, who beat the Pacers in seven games in last season's Eastern Conference finals. The Pacers enter Saturday with a three-game lead over the Heat for the East's best record.

"We are obviously happy to have him join our team," Pacers president of basketball operations Larry Bird said in a release. "He gives us added size, he is a skilled big man and he has championship experience. With the minutes he gets, he should be a valuable addition."

Five teams were interested in Bynum, including the Heat, but it was the Pacers who had a roster spot and the space under the luxury tax to add him now.

"It really wasn't a hard decision, I think it's the right fit for me," Bynum said in a statement. "In all honesty, I think we've got the best chance of winning. It will be great to back up Roy, and I'll do whatever I can to help this team."

The Heat could have outbid the Pacers for Bynum because they had all of their mid-level exception of $3 million to spend. However, the Heat currently have a full roster of 15 players and a luxury-tax bill of $15 million, meaning creating room for and signing Bynum would have been expensive. Plus, the Heat are getting encouraging play from Greg Oden, who recently returned after missing four years due to injuries.

If the Heat do make another addition this season, it will likely be for a wing player who specializes in defense, sources told ESPN. The team has been in trade talks recently looking to trade for a wing or to open up a roster spot to sign one in free agency.

Bynum, who missed all of last season with a knee injury, averaged 8.4 points and 5.3 rebounds in 24 games for the Cleveland Cavaliers this season. The Cavs traded him to the Chicago Bulls with two future draft picks for Luol Deng on Jan. 7. The Bulls, in a salary-saving move, released Bynum the next day before the second half of his $12 million contract became guaranteed.

Bacchus7

« Reply #11701 on: February 01, 2014, 04:17:08 PM »
I cannot imagine a smarter move for the Pacers on paper.

I think under Vogel it will play out to their advantage too.
DTF

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #11702 on: February 01, 2014, 05:39:57 PM »
oh christ almighty, a Laker fan bitching about another team on a ring streak?

fucking really?
püp

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #11703 on: February 01, 2014, 06:02:44 PM »
would you be saying that if chris paul was currently on the lakers?
püp

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #11704 on: February 03, 2014, 01:46:57 AM »
The Phoenix Suns have emerged as a potential trade suitor for Los Angeles Lakers center Pau Gasol, according to sources close to the process.

Sources told ESPN.com that the Suns, among the options being weighed as part of their well-chronicled desire to acquire an established player as they make an unexpected playoff push this season, have been exploring the feasibility of trading for the Lakers' four-time All-Star.

One option for the Suns, by virtue of their $5.6 million in available salary-cap space, is swapping the expiring contract of injured big man Emeka Okafor for Gasol, even though Okafor's $14.5 million salary this season falls well shy of Gasol's $19.3 million.

Stephen Mackey · Nassau, New Providence
Throw in D'Antoni and Steve Nash as well while you're at it.
Reply · 328 ·  · 8 hours ago
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 01:55:42 AM by benjipwns »

benjipwns

« Reply #11705 on: February 03, 2014, 02:29:28 PM »
SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Carlos Boozer voiced his frustration Monday about his lack of playing time in the fourth quarter for the Chicago Bulls.

The veteran power forward has not played in the fourth quarter in the last two contests and is clearly bothered by what he perceives as a lack of opportunity from coach Tom Thibodeau.

"I think I should be out there," said Boozer,  who is in the midst of his worst season as a Bull. "But it's [Thibodeau's] choice. He makes the decisions out there, so I play, I don't coach. He coaches. So he decides that.

"But honestly, he's been doing that a lot since I've been here, not putting me in the fourth quarter. Sometimes we win; more times than not, we don't. But that's his choice.''

etiolate

« Reply #11706 on: February 04, 2014, 12:44:43 AM »
Cousins returns from injury. Puts up 25 pts 16rbs and 4asts. Kings blow out Chicago. End 7 game losing streak that began with Boogie's injury. Boozer was 4-15 with a -33.

And the league sends garbage refs to Sacramento again. Noah got ejected and I understand his anger. The foul call on him was ridiculous. He then graced the refs with his opinions upon their moral upstanding.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #11707 on: February 04, 2014, 01:13:10 AM »
Noah is the greatest  :lol
püp

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #11708 on: February 04, 2014, 01:14:54 AM »
What a thug

« Reply #11709 on: February 04, 2014, 01:24:53 AM »
halflings can't be thugs
😈

etiolate

« Reply #11710 on: February 04, 2014, 01:25:16 AM »

:lol

Stoney Mason

Re: The NBA thread
« Reply #11711 on: February 04, 2014, 12:17:49 PM »

My man!

:gladbron

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #11712 on: February 04, 2014, 01:04:15 PM »
R/NBA was pissing their pants about that, but from the other angle he clearly gets an elbow to the mouth.  Lebron just knows how to sell :smug
püp

benjipwns

« Reply #11713 on: February 05, 2014, 06:53:19 AM »

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #11714 on: February 05, 2014, 06:54:43 AM »
fucking Warriors :tocry
itm

etiolate

« Reply #11715 on: February 05, 2014, 10:02:31 PM »
http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2014/02/cleveland_cavaliers_embarrass.html

Oh, the sting was taken out after Cleveland cut a 29-point first-half lead to 114-108 after two free throws by Anthony Bennett with 1:17 left in the fourth quarter, but a 3-pointer by Steve Blake, playing with a ruptured ear drum suffered at Minnesota on Tuesday night, restored the Lakers lead to 117-108 with 56.7 seconds left and the Lakers, down to five healthy players, held on.

The Lakers started the game with eight healthy players, then lost Nick Young for the second half with a twisted left knee. Jordan Farmar, just back from a torn left hamstring, played 33 minutes but had his leg wrapped in ice on the bench after coming out with 9:39 left in the fourth quarter. Chris Kaman and Robert Sacre fouled out in the fourth quarter, but Sacre had to remain in the game and the Lakers were assessed a technical foul.

:whoo
Simply Amazing.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 10:05:47 PM by etiolate »

etiolate

« Reply #11716 on: February 06, 2014, 03:15:46 AM »
Kings win again with Cousins back. They blew out the Raptors for most of the game and then Toronto came back late as the Kings tired. There was also a very bad call late in the game that could have changed things. For the second game in a row, the refs fucked up a game in Sacramento. They've really been bad all year. It's a culmination of things, but without Stern intimidating the press into silence, I am not sure if the NBA will continue to ignore the problem.

The call probably didn't alter the outcome, as the Kings had been leading for most of the game, but there was a chance that Toronto could have come back if they made the right call.

I would have called a 4 pt play. I felt Ben screwed up. Next, I would have called nothing and counted the basket. (Great shot.) What the refs did instead is astounding. What makes it even more interesting is that the Pacers/Kings game went into OT thanks to a 4pt play that was not a foul. Just continued fail from NBA officials.

It tainted a whole game that should have been about the Kings beating the team that supposedly excelled from ridding themselves of Gay. (hint: THE EAST SUCKS AND IS FAR EASIER TO WIN IN.)

On that note, the Kings are 2-0 since Cousins returned from injury. He's still obviously not 100% and a bit gimpy, but putting up 20 & 10 with ease. The Kings are .500 with Gay/IT/Cousins with one of the toughest schedules in the league.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #11717 on: February 06, 2014, 05:50:09 PM »
Paul George, John Wall, Damian Lillard, Harrison Barnes, Terrence Ross, and Ben McLemore will be this year's dunk contest competitors.

Pretty good group.

benjipwns

« Reply #11718 on: February 06, 2014, 07:55:48 PM »
the team that supposedly excelled from ridding themselves of Gay. (hint: THE EAST SUCKS AND IS FAR EASIER TO WIN IN.)
Which is why they were having such an easy time posting a winning record when Gay was using 31% of possessions!

etiolate

« Reply #11719 on: February 06, 2014, 08:02:13 PM »
Problem was that Gay was misused and all their best players were perimeter players. Gay plays better at a lower usage rate and with a big man.

The notoriously inefficient Gay has changed in the California capital, averaging 20.8 points a game with a spectacular true shooting percentage of 60.8 percent (it was 46.8 percent in Toronto) and a PER of 22.2 (14.9, right at the league average in Toronto).

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/06/rudy-gay-says-hes-unsure-if-he-will-test-free-agent-market-this-summer/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The key seems to be that Cousins works well at a very high usage rate, so he takes usage away from Gay and they both benefit.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11720 on: February 06, 2014, 09:35:22 PM »
Bill Walton is casting the Oregon/Arizona game right now
:rejoice

GOAT color man

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #11721 on: February 06, 2014, 09:37:18 PM »
I'm gonna wait and see about Gay.  Give him the rest of the season before I pass judgement one way or the other.  Any guy can get hot.  Remember who won 6th Man of the Year last year?  Yeah.
püp

etiolate

« Reply #11722 on: February 06, 2014, 09:52:06 PM »
The one loss of the Maloofs getting booted was that it seems the new Kings ownership doesn't want to bring Bill Walton in for a few games through the years.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #11723 on: February 06, 2014, 10:18:35 PM »

u mad bro??
püp

benjipwns

« Reply #11724 on: February 07, 2014, 03:53:16 AM »
There will no longer be one winner crowned, instead the competition will feature 2 teams consisting of 3 players each, and it will be 2 rounds of action — East vs. West. In other words, it will be John Wall, Paul George and Terrence Ross vs. Damian Lillard, Ben McLemore and Harrison Barnes.

the competition will tip off with a Freestyle Round where the dunkers for each conference will have 90 seconds to showcase as many dunks as they want. At the conclusion of the Freestyle Round, the panel of judges will then choose a winner by voting “East” or “West.” The winning conference will earn the advantage of deciding whether its dunkers will dunk first or second in the head-to-head battles that take place in the Battle Round.

The Battle Round will feature head-to-head matchups pitting East dunkers vs. West dunkers, with the judges choosing a winner for each battle. Upon losing a head-to-head battle, that dunker is then eliminated from the competition. The first team to win three battles will win the competition and be crowned 2014 Sprite Slam Dunk champions.
:dead

etiolate

« Reply #11725 on: February 07, 2014, 03:15:22 PM »
Anthony Davis named as replacement for Kobe Bryant. I don't have a problem with that, as I'm a big fan of Davis. I have more of a problem with Dwight being named a reserve ahead of either Davis or Cousins. Howard isn't really deserving over either of those guys.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #11726 on: February 07, 2014, 03:27:58 PM »
Dwight's been having a great season.
püp

etiolate

« Reply #11727 on: February 07, 2014, 03:37:02 PM »
He's putting up 18 & 12 with a couple of blocks. That's very good. However, Cousins and Davis are doing a lot more. I'll keep harping on the Boogie train, but the numbers he is putting up have only been put up by Hall of Fame big men, Squaq, and Dwight in his best years. And I'd rather have Cousins or Davis than Howard at this point.

Somewhat of note: Davis and Howard are good shotblockers, but Rockets and Pelicans still look woeful on defense. Perimeter D is still extremely important even if you have a rim protector.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #11728 on: February 07, 2014, 04:59:23 PM »
Yeah, but at this point in his career Davis just puts up good block numbers without really protecting the rim while Howard's an actual impact defender.  As lousy as the Rockets look, they're a top 10 defense when he's on the court, and rebound as a team significantly better IIRC.  It's a cliche to say a player "does things that don't show up in the box score" but defense, especially interior defense, is the case where it's most true in basketball.

Davis and Cousins both have very strong cases for being included based on their numbers, but they're essentially offense-first players playing the most important defensive position for losing teams.  Fair or not, that was always going to cost them with the coaches' vote.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #11729 on: February 07, 2014, 05:05:58 PM »
As soon as Davis gets another strong big man/4 and a few strong role playing wings, I think the Pelis will be a fun team to watch.  They're already pretty fun.
püp

etiolate

« Reply #11730 on: February 07, 2014, 05:17:58 PM »
I feel Davis is getting in on defensive ability far more than his offensive ability. He puts up points, but his game is still limited offensively. He's not a guy you go to for points yet. He gets them out of the Pelicans system, but that's mostly based on ball-dominant guards driving and kicking. Both Davis and Ryan Anderson are face up shooters at this point.

The funny/sad thing is that Davis and Cousins would be the ideal pair for each other's strengths and weaknesses.

Beezy

« Reply #11731 on: February 08, 2014, 03:11:31 PM »

This isn't even fair.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #11732 on: February 08, 2014, 06:24:54 PM »
he'll get to college and look pedestrian, just like wiggins and parker did
püp

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11733 on: February 08, 2014, 06:28:30 PM »
he'll get to college and look pedestrian, just like wiggins and parker did

:what

Beezy

« Reply #11734 on: February 08, 2014, 07:03:18 PM »
BrandNew is an expert scout, didn't you know?

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #11735 on: February 08, 2014, 07:58:21 PM »
that was a troll you guys.
püp

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11736 on: February 09, 2014, 12:01:55 AM »

welp. Should have entered the draft last year, he would have been the #1 pick if the Cavs didn't win the lottery.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11737 on: February 09, 2014, 12:55:24 PM »
Mo Cheeks fired  :lol

How is it possible Joe Dumars still has a job? Cheeks isn't some great coach, but who can win with that shitty roster? Who can win with Josh Smith throwing up 3s all game, and Brandon Jennings pretending to be a PG?

benjipwns

« Reply #11738 on: February 09, 2014, 07:03:08 PM »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11739 on: February 09, 2014, 07:50:05 PM »
The owner should have Joe coach the remainder of the season, and if they miss the playoffs he gets fired.

I just don't understand why he wasn't fired last year. Why allow him to bring his guys in and use a lottery pick instead of just completely rebuilding with a new GM. Now the team has another lottery bust and two huge FA signings that completely bombed.

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #11740 on: February 10, 2014, 04:50:19 AM »
Holy shit, Clippers - Sixers. Was 89-33 halfway into 3Q  :lol
地平線

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #11741 on: February 10, 2014, 10:23:48 AM »
fffuuuuuu
püp

« Reply #11742 on: February 11, 2014, 12:04:44 AM »
 :holeup sixers getting blown out again
😈

benjipwns

« Reply #11743 on: February 11, 2014, 05:38:06 PM »
The Sixers are the second team in NBA history to lose by 40-plus points in consecutive games. The 1993-94 Sixers were the other one.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #11744 on: February 11, 2014, 06:20:23 PM »

Beezy

« Reply #11745 on: February 11, 2014, 08:17:45 PM »
The Sixers are the second team in NBA history to lose by 40-plus points in consecutive games. The 1993-94 Sixers were the other one.
:neogaf

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #11746 on: February 11, 2014, 11:36:07 PM »
Bennett had his first double double tonight :tocry
püp

Beezy

« Reply #11747 on: February 12, 2014, 01:35:35 PM »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11748 on: February 12, 2014, 08:52:34 PM »
Jimmer Fredette is trending on twitter. Thanks a lot, Knicks/Beezy

Stoney Mason

« Reply #11749 on: February 12, 2014, 09:54:05 PM »
Miami at Golden State tonight. I might live blog this one.

etiolate

« Reply #11750 on: February 12, 2014, 10:20:29 PM »
thanks knicks!

Stoney Mason

« Reply #11751 on: February 13, 2014, 12:26:41 AM »
Miami up by 20 in 3rd.

Of course they give up the lead by the 4th.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #11752 on: February 13, 2014, 12:28:47 AM »
wow wow
AMC

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #11753 on: February 13, 2014, 12:52:47 AM »
this is Good Shit
AMC

Stoney Mason

« Reply #11754 on: February 13, 2014, 12:53:47 AM »
Really good finish down the stretch here.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #11755 on: February 13, 2014, 12:58:35 AM »
wow. Fucking huge.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #11756 on: February 13, 2014, 01:00:17 AM »
I hope Awesome-o didn't see that or else he might kill himself.
AMC

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
Re: The NBA thread (Lebron GOAT)
« Reply #11757 on: February 13, 2014, 01:31:38 AM »
goddamit fucking fuck fuck FUCK I left the bar at half time

Lebron has had a monster week despite that bad performance in Utah.  I think the dude resents the fact that everyone already has given Durant the MVP.  Next Thursday's game is gonna be glorious I hope.
püp

benjipwns

« Reply #11758 on: February 13, 2014, 01:31:41 AM »

Bonus LeBron:

etiolate

« Reply #11759 on: February 13, 2014, 03:52:13 AM »