Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1522693 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: The NBA thread
« Reply #11880 on: February 28, 2014, 01:48:02 AM »
I remember reading a SI profile on Popovich ... had the team watch the 2012 debates
I remember hearing this every single time I play against the Spurs in 2K.

And since I'm the Kings it's a miracle when I don't hear the discussion about how you put up with a Cousins because he's so talented. Or how SACRAMENTO NATIVE KEVIN JOHNSON kept the team in town.

But it just feels wrong to play without the commentary on. fml

etiolate

« Reply #11881 on: February 28, 2014, 01:54:35 AM »
Why would you play the Kings?

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #11882 on: February 28, 2014, 02:01:11 AM »
If it's franchise mode, you always start with a losing team with some young talent and build from there.  Only way to play.

edit: In FIFA, the problem is if you take a low league team, the commentators don't even have custom banter for them.  "The visiting team has been struggling, what do you think of that?"
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 02:03:57 AM by Mandark »

benjipwns

« Reply #11883 on: February 28, 2014, 02:46:51 AM »
If it's franchise mode, you always start with a losing team with some young talent and build from there.  Only way to play.
Exactly. Especially, if I'm actually going to play instead of sim on my laptop to kill time.

I picked the Kings because they have a seemingly mega superstar plus a bunch of young players who simply don't play up to what seems like should be their potential level. Bobcats and a team I now forget were the others I considered. After realizing that the Kings were basically a team full of tweeners at almost every position I locked in with them.

In any case, I always start clearing out the bad contracts, Jason Thompson's the only one I still have really because I made him a poor man's Marcus Camby and don't really know what to move him for at this point.

Just got offered Bledsoe so I had to take it, the guys below are the ones I traded away or for, since the game only gives you season totals and I wanted to split out their time with the Kings. Cousins has been hurt for like the last ten games so I've only been playing him ten minutes or so.

etiolate

« Reply #11884 on: February 28, 2014, 02:59:44 AM »
That's oddly like the real season, except Cousins has been hurt and butthurt for the past 10 games or so.

Is that Dorell Wright on your roster?

benjipwns

« Reply #11885 on: February 28, 2014, 03:04:20 AM »
Brandan, the Mavs offered him and Marion for John Salmons for some reason, and Frye came with Bledsoe and I had sent Chuck Hayes for Koufos before the season so I went from having just Cousins and Landry really to having way too many useful bigs now.

And Terrence Williams rescued off the scrap heap, where I discovered he's beyond OP ratings wise.

etiolate

« Reply #11886 on: February 28, 2014, 03:17:07 AM »
Terrence would be a great complimentary wing player IRL if it wasn't for his off-court mess. He outplayed Tyreke Evans in his short stint with the Kings, but was let go because apparently he was a fucking mess. So I'm not surprised he's good in 2k.  He's sort of like what would have happened to Lance Stephenson without Larry Bird.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 03:19:21 AM by etiolate »

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #11887 on: March 01, 2014, 12:55:17 AM »
http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/story/_/id/10535429/nba-asks-lebron-james-miami-heat-wear-clear-mask-protect-broken-nose

What a boring ass fuddy duddy league. Silver can we please leave behind this old school anything that is different or stylish must be knocked down attitude. sigh.

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #11888 on: March 01, 2014, 01:40:12 AM »
They did the same to Kyrie last year.
itm

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #11889 on: March 01, 2014, 09:35:33 AM »
3 straight games with 30+ points on 65%+ shooting
Shoot 65% due to only taking uncontested layups, dunks, and short jump shots brehs. I'd love to see LeBron play in the 90s/meet Charles Oakley in the paint.

Back me up, Shinobi

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #11890 on: March 01, 2014, 01:13:33 PM »
:pacspit
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #11891 on: March 01, 2014, 03:51:56 PM »
They did the same to Kyrie last year.

I know. Ultimately its a very minor thing and who really cares but as long as the league continues to knee jerk about such things reflexively, they will never be the type of league that has actual innovative thinking. They would rather push sleeved jerseys and work feverishly to protect some idealized "image" they are trying to push.

benjipwns

« Reply #11892 on: March 01, 2014, 08:13:18 PM »
Isiah Thomas will be back in Auburn Hills at the end of the month to help the Pistons commemorate the 25th anniversary of their first championship team. And we’re hearing that he could be in line to return to the team, a few months after the weekend festivities, for a permanent gig. League sources say that Pistons owner Tom Gores is seriously thinking of making what has been a long-overdue, front-office shakeup after the season, with Thomas recently emerging as a top candidate to take over the role of the team’s top basketball executive from his former backcourt mate, Joe Dumars.
His tenure is expected to end when his contract runs out this spring. “Gores is definitely looking at Isiah to replace Joe,” one league source said.
:piss >:( :( :yuck :-X :-\ :'( :duh :wtf :gloomy :dizzy :usacry :wag :piss2

:goty2 :fbm :mindblown :dead :what :snoop :picard :goty

etiolate

« Reply #11893 on: March 01, 2014, 08:24:22 PM »
:lol :lol :lol :lol

be careful what you wish for PD

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11894 on: March 01, 2014, 11:05:27 PM »
Isiah Thomas will be back in Auburn Hills at the end of the month to help the Pistons commemorate the 25th anniversary of their first championship team. And we’re hearing that he could be in line to return to the team, a few months after the weekend festivities, for a permanent gig. League sources say that Pistons owner Tom Gores is seriously thinking of making what has been a long-overdue, front-office shakeup after the season, with Thomas recently emerging as a top candidate to take over the role of the team’s top basketball executive from his former backcourt mate, Joe Dumars.
His tenure is expected to end when his contract runs out this spring. “Gores is definitely looking at Isiah to replace Joe,” one league source said.

I could at least become a fan again regardless of who replaces Dumars, but I would lose my dignity.

etiolate

« Reply #11895 on: March 02, 2014, 06:05:55 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)

I could at least become a fan again regardless of who replaces Dumars, but I would lose my dignity.

and your draft picks!

Stoney Mason

« Reply #11896 on: March 03, 2014, 06:10:39 PM »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11897 on: March 03, 2014, 07:53:06 PM »
good lord, my favorite sports show (Valenti and Foster!) made it sound like the Isiah Thomas rumors aren't actually rumors - it's solid. Doesn't mean it's going to happen, but they're seriously exploring the possibility.

save us, Bill Lambier.

El Babua

« Reply #11898 on: March 03, 2014, 09:58:09 PM »
Lebron scores 61 on 22/33 shooting. MVP race is solidly back to a two man race.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #11899 on: March 03, 2014, 10:37:28 PM »

:mynicca

Stoney Mason

« Reply #11900 on: March 06, 2014, 05:33:42 PM »
Spurs versus Heat tonight.

benjipwns

« Reply #11901 on: March 06, 2014, 05:54:28 PM »
MULTIPLE SOURCES: http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/story/_/id/10562283/joakim-noah-recruits-carmelo-anthony-new-york-knicks-join-chicago-bulls
Joakim Noah wants to win a ring. To help him achieve that goal, he wants Carmelo Anthony on the Chicago Bulls.

That's why Noah, Chicago's center, approached Anthony over All-Star Weekend last month about joining the Bulls, according to sources with knowledge of the conversation.

The sources said Noah told Anthony something to this effect: You can go to Los Angeles, but if you really want a ring, if you really want your legacy to be about winning, you should come to Chicago.

Anthony responded by telling Noah that he admires how hard the Bulls play and how hungry they are. Anthony also told Noah, according to the sources, that Derrick Rose is his son's favorite player.

The conversation between Anthony and Noah started as a discussion about what it's like to play for Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau. With rumors about Chicago going after Anthony as well as about Thibodeau possibly coaching the New York Knicks next season, Anthony wanted to know about Thibodeau.

From there, the discussion turned to Noah telling Anthony he should join the Bulls.

Meanwhile, in Sacramento: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10562429/sacramento-kings-sign-royce-white-10-day-deal

etiolate

« Reply #11902 on: March 06, 2014, 05:57:15 PM »
they're sending White to D-League.

The thought of him on a team with Cousins and Reggie Evans is hilarious.

Beezy

« Reply #11903 on: March 06, 2014, 07:16:27 PM »
This season has been so fucking shitty that just about every Knicks fan I know agrees that Melo should leave us for a real contender.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #11904 on: March 06, 2014, 10:30:17 PM »
One of those nights. Miami looked like crap tonight.

benjipwns

« Reply #11905 on: March 07, 2014, 04:56:46 AM »
James partly blamed the jersey for his off shooting night in the Miami Heat's 111-87 loss to the San Antonio Spurs on Thursday. James was 6-of-18 shooting in the game, his second-worst shooting night of the season.

"I'm not making excuses, but I'm not a big fans of the jerseys," said James, who had 19 points. "Every time I shoot it feels like it's just pulling right up underneath my arm. I already don't have much room for error on my jump shot. It's definitely not a good thing."

James said it affects him on long-range shots especially 3-pointers. He was quick to point out that it bothered him on Christmas Day, when he wore a short-sleeved jersey and shot 0-of-4 from 3-point range in a win over the Los Angeles Lakers, and during the All-Star Game last month, when he was 0-of-7 on 3-pointers in a sleeved jersey.
Excuses. Kobe would never make excuses like this, that's why he had 81 instead of merely 61.

« Reply #11906 on: March 08, 2014, 10:15:35 AM »
😈

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11907 on: March 08, 2014, 11:38:08 AM »
Durant will never win a title. The based god is never wrong.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #11908 on: March 09, 2014, 03:51:31 PM »
That's Lebron's 3rd stinker in a row after the 61 point game.  (
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Technically the Houston game wasn't a stinker I suppose but the last two certainly were. )
[close]

:gurl

They've also wasted any opportunity to put distance between them and the Pacers who are also slumping at the moment.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 03:56:36 PM by Stoney Mason »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #11909 on: March 10, 2014, 12:29:18 AM »
Both Miami and Indy sucking big time lately.

On the other end dem Bulls and Raptors.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
Re: The NBA thread (Raptors and Bulls kicking ass)
« Reply #11910 on: March 10, 2014, 01:21:54 AM »
Noah has always been the heart of the Bulls.  No matter how bad the Bulls are on paper, they fucking DO THINGS. Thibs and Noah should never be broken up.  Bring in Melo to make the starting five next year be:

1) Rose
2) Augustin
3) Melo
4) Butler
5) Noah

That team with Thibs would be a force.  Make it happen Chicago
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #11911 on: March 10, 2014, 01:36:38 AM »
Just to put things in perspective the Raptors were 7-12 (.368) before the Rudy Gay Trade.

Now they are 35-26 (.574)

The Pacers have been 21-12 since Jan 1. Which is okay but way off the pace they were on prior to that.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #11912 on: March 10, 2014, 01:39:13 AM »
I hope Rose can finally get healthy.  We should all get to see a few prime Thibs/Noah/Rose Bulls seasons.

Was hoping the Wiz could gun for the 3 seed, but the Bulls and Raps are too tough.  Then Nene went down and I was worried about them dropping to a 7/8 seed and a first round death sentence against Miami or Indiana, but the rest of the East is too awful.

Stoney Mason

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #11914 on: March 11, 2014, 12:00:55 AM »
Good on Phil if he wants to be involved in the NBA and live in New York, but what an awful situation.  If Carmelo leaves you've got a terrible roster that's still over the cap next year.  If he stays you've got a bad roster that's well into the luxury tax, and you don't have first round picks in 2014 or 2016, or a second round pick for the next... (checking) four years?  Jesus.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #11915 on: March 11, 2014, 10:40:57 AM »
Blake doing the Mailman

etiolate

« Reply #11916 on: March 11, 2014, 08:02:49 PM »
He's been doing the mailman for years.

Losing in the first round of the playoffs.

Stoney Mason

« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 05:46:48 PM by Stoney Mason »

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #11918 on: March 12, 2014, 05:47:16 PM »
Contract looking better everyday (for Kobe of course, Awesome-o suiciding)
vin

benjipwns

« Reply #11919 on: March 12, 2014, 05:55:47 PM »
Why would Kobe come back this season? :lol

Beto Duran: Does Kobe have patience to wait for future free agents? "NO. Not one lick...oh lets just go into next year and suck. Nope" Twitter

David Brickley: Kobe on Changes: "I can't comment too much on that. I just want a phone call when someone gets traded. Lets start there." Twitter @DavidjBrickley

Mike Trudell: Kobe on what was going through his head w/t blowout to the Clippers. "Now I know what it feels like to be a Clippers fan all these years." Twitter @LakersReporter

Mike Bresnahan: D'Antoni also reiterated comments from last week that Nash is pretty much done for the season, too. Twitter @Mike_Bresnahan

Bryant, sources said, has “no interest” in playing for D’Antoni next season, and wants a new coach in place for the ’14-’15 season. Sporting News

Mike Bresnahan: Kobe wants Jim and Jeanie Buss to figure out their strained relationship. He's not happy to continually be left out of Lakers' future plans. Twitter @Mike_Bresnahan

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #11920 on: March 12, 2014, 07:04:52 PM »
keep gettin' dem checks mamba
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #11921 on: March 12, 2014, 11:10:54 PM »
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/10596904/kobe-bryant-magic-johnson-challenge-los-angeles-lakers-management

I love the idea of "calling out" management when they just royally over-paid you. 

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #11922 on: March 12, 2014, 11:18:05 PM »
Eh.  Dude obviously wants to win one more and retire as a Laker, so he cares about all facets of the team.  He wanted his money, as poor a decision as it was, but he also wants the organization to do the right things around him while he's still in the league.  Don't really fault him.

They're not doing dick though.  Kobe won't ever smell the playoffs again, calling it.
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #11923 on: March 12, 2014, 11:21:11 PM »
I would argue the right thing is not handcuffing themselves just to satisfy Kobe Bryant but they are way too far down that road now.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #11924 on: March 12, 2014, 11:29:48 PM »
Well right, obviously.  But Kobe would never consider that notion or truth.  The Lakers are Kobe and company to him.  And really, its hard to argue with him in that regard.
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #11925 on: March 12, 2014, 11:36:39 PM »
The thing is I don't even get what he is bitching about. I assume he is mad about the rumours that the Lakers don't want Carmelo Anthony and would rather wait for Kevin Love (which personally makes more sense to me especially since Kobe's contract would end at that point)

But what is he bitching about currently? Yeah the team stinks. Everybody knew it would stink. Especially with him gone. And that's actually a good thing. They get a good draft pick and free agency is still coming so nothing has even been decided there. This ultimately seems to be some sort of power struggle thing. Like when he whined about not being consulted on the Steve Blake trade as if Steve Blake is some important cog to the future of the Lakers. It's not Kobe's team. It's not Magic's team. It's those Buss kid's team. Just because they are willing to over-pay Kobe that aspect isn't going to change.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #11926 on: March 13, 2014, 01:23:01 AM »

:dayum

Real Talk: Blake Griffin is the third best power forward in the game right now after his leap this year, and I'd argue a top 10 player in total.  Averaging a double double this season with much better passing and, fuck, a developing jumpshot.  If the Clippers go far this year, its because of Griffin, not Paul.
püp

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #11927 on: March 13, 2014, 01:46:30 AM »
nicca I was fucking complimenting him  :sabu  It's not his fucking fault the Buss kids have no idea how to run a team.
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #11928 on: March 13, 2014, 12:09:05 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #11929 on: March 14, 2014, 06:21:05 PM »

:dead

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11930 on: March 14, 2014, 06:27:29 PM »
I'd imagine two 6'9 small forwards are on the line.

etiolate

« Reply #11931 on: March 14, 2014, 06:47:16 PM »
So he's probably calling himself?

Stoney Mason

« Reply #11932 on: March 14, 2014, 10:55:10 PM »
So if nobody's noticed, Miami is playing like complete and utter shit for quite awhile now.

« Reply #11933 on: March 14, 2014, 11:17:48 PM »
i hope they keep it up through the playoffs
😈

Stoney Mason

« Reply #11934 on: March 16, 2014, 02:33:07 PM »
Rockets versus Heat at 3:30

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #11935 on: March 16, 2014, 02:34:22 PM »
that'll certainly be a shitshow with how the heat are playing lately
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #11936 on: March 16, 2014, 05:18:31 PM »
No matter who wins here Miami looks so flawed now. They are no longer generating the same great shots in the half court offense they were last year.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 05:21:56 PM by Stoney Mason »

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #11937 on: March 16, 2014, 05:53:11 PM »
stoney worrying about the heat makes the heat play great.  I'm okay with this

Ray Allen has been clutch today
püp

etiolate

Stoney Mason