Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1522592 times)

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
Re: The NBA thread
« Reply #16680 on: August 19, 2015, 12:19:39 PM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16681 on: August 21, 2015, 11:38:29 AM »
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13478145/jr-smith-announces-returning-cleveland-cavaliers

So that only leaves Tristan who it increasingly looks like they will sign to the qualifying and risk him bolting next year.

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #16682 on: August 21, 2015, 12:05:14 PM »
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13478145/jr-smith-announces-returning-cleveland-cavaliers

So that only leaves Tristan who it increasingly looks like they will sign to the qualifying and risk him bolting next year.

Guess the master pipefitter coming back to the Land for another 2 years.
YMMV

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #16683 on: August 22, 2015, 11:38:01 AM »

Stoney Mason

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16685 on: August 24, 2015, 12:15:45 PM »
Bill SimmonsVerified account
‏@BillSimmons
FYI: my podcast returns on October 1st. New name, new sponsors.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #16686 on: August 25, 2015, 12:55:44 AM »
I support this move, as anything that makes the Lakers more of a freakshow can only be a good thing.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--lakers-considering-signing-metta-world-peace-000124217.html
yar

Cheddahz

« Reply #16687 on: August 25, 2015, 01:05:20 AM »
The Hornets were able to re-sign MKG and that makes me happy

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16688 on: August 25, 2015, 02:12:14 PM »

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #16689 on: August 25, 2015, 02:39:49 PM »
250,000?

Oh no what will they ever do. (Ticket prices raised confirmed)
YMMV

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #16690 on: August 25, 2015, 04:17:48 PM »
Ballmer has probably spent more than that for a single meal.
yar

« Reply #16691 on: August 25, 2015, 05:00:33 PM »
he probably spent that much on coke this month
😈

Stoney Mason

benjipwns

« Reply #16693 on: August 27, 2015, 12:06:40 AM »
Under what process did the league conclude it had "no impact" on DeAndre's decision? :lol

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #16694 on: August 27, 2015, 01:01:58 AM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16695 on: August 28, 2015, 11:42:38 AM »
RIP Chocolate Thunder.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
Re: The NBA thread (RIP Chocolate Thunder)
« Reply #16696 on: August 28, 2015, 04:44:09 PM »
Damn, my personal favorite dunker besides Carter :(
püp

Human Snorenado

• Icon
yar

benjipwns

« Reply #16698 on: August 29, 2015, 03:15:00 PM »
I thought Dawkins would have been way older than 58 if you had asked me. Forgot he came out of high school.

Thing a lot of people forget is that he actually was a pretty good player for a period, not just a dunker. Was on those 76ers teams that kept going to the Finals and stuff.

Fouled like crazy iirc.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16699 on: August 29, 2015, 04:45:22 PM »
Yeah he and Dr J were part of making the 76ers cool as a kid for me.

He was before his time. A player like that would have been a media superstar with the way coverage is handled today.

the lasting memory I have is the story Bob Ryan tells of the deciding game of the 1982 Eastern Conference finals, when, as the game wound down with the Celtics plainly losing to the Philadelphia 76ers, the crowd in the Boston Garden began chanting “Beat L.A.!” (They would face the Lakers in the Finals.) Ryan asked Dawkins what he thought when he heard that.

“Man,” Dawkins replied. “When I heard that, my dick got stiff.”

That’s the way it worked on Lovetron. It was a great and surpassingly happy civilization, now past. Darryl Dawkins is dead, but the man brought the funk to a disbelieving world. He truly did.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/darryl-dawkins-1957-2015/

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16700 on: September 13, 2015, 01:17:12 PM »
rip Moses Malone

« Reply #16701 on: September 13, 2015, 02:58:37 PM »
 :crazy :crazy :crazy :tocry
😈

Stoney Mason

Re: The NBA thread (RIP Moses Malone)
« Reply #16702 on: September 14, 2015, 04:42:16 PM »
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13650802/nba-how-moses-malone-mentored-young-charles-barkley

"I was really struggling in the beginning," Barkley admitted.

He turned to the one veteran who offered the most encouragement -- the imposing Moses Malone -- and asked him for some feedback.

"I pulled Moses aside and asked him, 'Why am I not playing more?'" Barkley recalled on Sunday.

Malone turned, looked him up and down and declared, "You're fat and you're lazy, that's why. You can't play basketball if you're not in shape."

Moses instructed the rookie to lose 10 pounds, then told him to meet him at the gym an hour ahead of practice the following morning. For the next month, he trained Barkley before and after the team workouts. Barkley shed 15 pounds in a week's time and started to notice a difference in his stamina.

"So now I'm playing a little bit," Barkley said, "and Moses says to me, 'Lose 10 more.' I get down to 275 and I'm close to breaking into the starting lineup and the big man tells me, 'Ten more. Give me 10 more.' By the time he was done with me, I was down to 255 pounds.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
yar

benjipwns

« Reply #16704 on: September 22, 2015, 08:25:27 AM »
The Wolves are going to buy Anthony Bennett out of the final year of his rookie contract.

:dead

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #16705 on: September 22, 2015, 08:27:35 AM »
The Wolves are going to buy Anthony Bennett out of the final year of his rookie contract.

Dear Wolves,

LOLS,

The Cavs
YMMV

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #16706 on: September 22, 2015, 02:59:32 PM »
Eh, he was kind of regarded as a throw-in at the time.

That 2013 Draft should go down as one of the worst of all-time.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16707 on: September 22, 2015, 11:54:11 PM »
Bill SimmonsVerified account
‏@BillSimmons
Excited to bring my podcast back next week. Really missed doing them. Posting 2 pods each day on 10/1 and 10/2. Details to come soon.

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #16708 on: September 23, 2015, 12:07:53 AM »
Noel and Gobert are both really good at what they do. I'm not giving up  on Oladipo just yet

but yeah that's about it

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #16709 on: September 24, 2015, 09:35:40 PM »
no one talking about Multiples Sourcez striking again?

:lol

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16710 on: September 25, 2015, 12:26:38 AM »
It's hard to know what's really going on with this Tristan Thompson situation. I can't tell if its just bluffing or what on either side. My gut and brain tells me the Cavs don't want to sign him though and kind of hope he just decides to leave based on the offer.

Also Pacers say they are going to play Paul George at PF.

Paul George now on @JMV1070 about his new PF role: "I'm not thrilled on it."

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #16711 on: September 27, 2015, 02:30:25 AM »
http://deadspin.com/im-a-grown-up-now-the-teen-who-accused-kevin-johnson-1732538782

read a couple paragraphs and stopped. not going to kill my vibe today. tomorrow though... :kobeyuck

benjipwns

« Reply #16712 on: September 29, 2015, 07:22:56 AM »

benjipwns

« Reply #16713 on: October 01, 2015, 02:01:14 AM »
My mom wanted me to go through some boxes down in their basement, most of them were VHS tapes and I was like just dump 'em all wtf am I going to do with VHS tapes. Then I saw one labeled "2000 NBA Draft" and I was like nope, had to watch it.

This Chris Mihm guy sounds like the next Bill Walton.

Thinking I might have to rip it (already transferred it to DVD) and edit it to put up on YouTube since it's one of the drafts missing.

Also, shortly after Darius Miles gets picked by the Clippers they go to Charles Barkley (just retired) by satellite and ask him about the Draft and he goes on this rant about how the Clippers are the worst organization in sports and run like a criminal organization and shit as Ernie sits there stone-faced.

Other highlights: Joel Przybilla's boo party. Mateen Cleaves and his entire family/entourage going insane when the Pistons pick him. Ernie calling footage of Dalibor Bagaric "7-11 security camera quality" before Bill Simmons stole the joke. The panel every few minutes after pick 15 or so talking about Chris Carrawell being a star oddly not being drafted. (He goes 41st and never plays in the NBA. Two spots above Michael Redd.) Mark Cuban only being referred to as "eccentric new owner Mark Cuban." Kenny Smith having to tell Hubie they're back on the air.

15 year old commercials.  :aah

Like this one, multiple times:

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #16714 on: October 01, 2015, 01:07:39 PM »
Congrats, you're a libertarian who watches old NBA draft tapes in his mother's basement.
vin

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16715 on: October 01, 2015, 07:18:09 PM »
- Golden State Warriors coach Steve Kerr will take a leave of absence as he recovers from back surgery and will be replaced on an interim basis by Luke Walton.

The defending NBA champion Warriors announced Thursday that Kerr will need time off for rehabilitation and recovery.

"After the first two days of training camp, I realized I need to take a step back and focus on my rehabilitation in order to be ready for the grind of another NBA season," Kerr said in a statement. "As I noted last week, my summer was difficult and no fun due to the multiple back surgeries. At this point, I simply want to get healthy and back to my normal daily routine on and off the court."

Kerr ruptured a disk in his back during Game 5 of the NBA Finals. He has had two surgeries to repair the injury, one on July 28 and another on Sept. 4.

The Warriors said they don't know how long Kerr will be out.

"At this point, the most important thing is to make sure Steve is healthy, completely recovered and ready for not only the rigors of a long NBA season, but day-to-day life in general," general manager Bob Myers said. "We don't anticipate the recovery process will be long term, but as of today we don't know the exact time frame. We'll evaluate his progress daily and provide updates as necessary."

Myers would not put a time frame on Kerr's return, but a source told ESPN's Ramona Shelburne the hope is Kerr is ready to coach when the Warriors' regular season opens Oct. 27.

:holeup

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #16716 on: October 02, 2015, 07:47:03 AM »
Thompson is officially holding out now. When will this fuckery ever end?
YMMV

benjipwns

« Reply #16717 on: October 02, 2015, 01:00:49 PM »
Congrats, you're a libertarian who watches old NBA draft tapes in his mother's basement.
FROM, NOT IN

I expect a formal apology.

You have 23 hours remaining.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16718 on: October 02, 2015, 05:51:07 PM »
Tristan Thompson wants the Cavaliers to succeed, but rooting for some short-term pain may be the only play that Thompson and his agents have left after they refused to sign Cleveland’s one-year, $6.8 million qualifying offer by 11:59 p.m. yesterday. That offer, now expired, gave Thompson leverage. He could have signed it, played the season, and bolted Cleveland as an unrestricted free agent in July. His agent, Rich Paul, explicitly threatened the Cavs with this weeks ago to get them to bump their five-year, $80 million offer up to the maximum five-year, $94 million deal for which Thompson is eligible. In Paul’s scenario, if the Cavs were to balk, Thompson would sign the qualifying offer, ditch the Cavs, and snag a max deal from someone else amid the flood of cap money coming in July.

Thompson and Paul did not go through with their threat. That may be a signal that they understand they overplayed their hand — that there may not be a max-level deal awaiting Thompson. If he re-signs with Cleveland, Thompson will come off the bench behind Timofey Mozgov and Kevin Love — assuming both are healthy. He’d average something like eight points and eight rebounds per game, play energetic defense, and draw some Sixth Man of the Year votes. That probably isn’t getting him a max deal, even amid the upcoming and unprecedented cap-room boom. Power forward is loaded around the league. It’s hard to name even 10 teams on which Thompson would be an obvious starter, and none of them would have LeBron James and Kyrie Irving to draw defenses away from him. Such is life when you have the offensive skill set of a center, but not the size and ability to protect the rim.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/tristan-thompson-continues-his-poker-game-with-cleveland/?ex_cid=story-twitter

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16719 on: October 05, 2015, 03:57:43 PM »

"You don't want to make an enemy out of me," Smith said, referencing Durant. "And I'm looking right into the camera and [I'll] say it again. You do not want to make an enemy out of me. I'm not having it, I've done nothing wrong and I'm not going to tolerate it."

:badass

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #16720 on: October 05, 2015, 04:11:41 PM »
what a fucking loon

in other news, MKG most likely out for the season  :-\
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16721 on: October 05, 2015, 04:22:12 PM »
It's not that KD isn't a prickly personality or something. It's just that someone like Stephen A Smith who constantly talks shit about stuff and is often wrong is not the one to be some voice of being offended.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #16722 on: October 05, 2015, 05:40:33 PM »
Stephen A and Skip are basically the Bill O'Reillys of sports commentary.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #16723 on: October 06, 2015, 08:32:21 AM »
Durant versus SAS? Everybody loses
YMMV

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16724 on: October 06, 2015, 02:29:47 PM »
Decent read on the whole Ferry/Owner debacle in Atlanta.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13457071/nba-how-atlanta-hawks-regime-fell-apart

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #16725 on: October 06, 2015, 10:10:52 PM »
Greg Howard ethers Jason Whitlock again on Deadspin
http://deadspin.com/how-espns-fear-of-the-truth-defeated-black-grantland-1730894729?utm_expid=66866090-56.xSggy8zmSwG3vMsivr7rOg.0

Whitlock goes insane
https://twitter.com/WhitlockJason
@WhitlockJason 4h4 hours ago

Greg Howard = see how black I am, I let Craggs and Marchman quote Ta-Nehisi Coates in my stories. #TheExplanation2 Do Not Miss It.
:neogaf

edit: from the article
It’s easy to say now that Whitlock was destined to fail at The Undefeated, but that’s a harsh reading of events. Whitlock is an unsophisticated thinker on race who wrote his belief in black pathology into the The Undefeated’s DNA, and whose ideas about respectability politics bled into each piece he edited before he was tossed aside. His ideology was formed over 20 years of writing opinions on race that were largely inaccurate, but, more importantly, firmly aligned with the opinions of many whites. Though he’d alienated many blacks along the way, including talented ESPN colleagues, his readings of American history were agreeable to an enormous portion of ESPN’s audience. He was decidedly safe and unchallenging. Through this lens, Whitlock was, in theory at least, the perfect choice to run the site.
:whew

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #16726 on: October 06, 2015, 10:20:00 PM »
I remember Whitlock was guest-hosting PTI when the Ray Rice story was breaking, and initially explained that he didn't think it was as big a deal as the Mike Vick thing because it was a personal issue between Rice and his wife, not like dogfighting, which was a "national issue."

Also, check http://blackgrant.land

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #16727 on: October 06, 2015, 10:46:09 PM »
Greg Howard ethers Jason Whitlock again on Deadspin
http://deadspin.com/how-espns-fear-of-the-truth-defeated-black-grantland-1730894729?utm_expid=66866090-56.xSggy8zmSwG3vMsivr7rOg.0

Whitlock goes insane
https://twitter.com/WhitlockJason
@WhitlockJason 4h4 hours ago

Greg Howard = see how black I am, I let Craggs and Marchman quote Ta-Nehisi Coates in my stories. #TheExplanation2 Do Not Miss It.
:neogaf

edit: from the article
It’s easy to say now that Whitlock was destined to fail at The Undefeated, but that’s a harsh reading of events. Whitlock is an unsophisticated thinker on race who wrote his belief in black pathology into the The Undefeated’s DNA, and whose ideas about respectability politics bled into each piece he edited before he was tossed aside. His ideology was formed over 20 years of writing opinions on race that were largely inaccurate, but, more importantly, firmly aligned with the opinions of many whites. Though he’d alienated many blacks along the way, including talented ESPN colleagues, his readings of American history were agreeable to an enormous portion of ESPN’s audience. He was decidedly safe and unchallenging. Through this lens, Whitlock was, in theory at least, the perfect choice to run the site.
:whew

©@©™

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #16728 on: October 07, 2015, 12:50:59 AM »

Also, check http://blackgrant.land

I haven't read this in years. I remember my mom being quite upset upon discovering this article, weeks after it was published; iirc one of her friends told her about it. She printed it out and gave it to me one day while I was over for lunch on a weekend. I read it, shaking my head at various lines, and when I completed it she asked me for my opinion. I don't remember what I said but she agreed with my sentiments - shit article, the sexism oozes through it, the Paris Hilton comparison was especially disgusting, etc.

Then my dad came home and my mom gave him the article. He read through, face still. Then he started shaking his head. He gave the article back to my mom, who asked him what he thought. He shook his head and said "doesn't BBW stand for big beautiful woman? It's not big booty woman, I don't know where he got that." He then gave a puzzled shrugged and walked into their bedroom.

The look of disgust on my mom's face :lawd :dead

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #16729 on: October 07, 2015, 05:26:58 PM »
Did Whitlock remember to issue an apology once Serena passed Federer in Grand Slams?
©@©™

Stoney Mason

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16731 on: October 09, 2015, 01:50:25 PM »
Early in the second half of the Los Angeles Lakers' 105-97 preseason loss to the Toronto Raptors on Thursday, a fan shouted from the stands at longtime star guard Kobe Bryant: "You ain't no 93!"

The fan was referencing Bryant's No. 93 ranking in ESPN's #NBArank project, which counts down the NBA's top players for this upcoming season.

Bryant, a five-time NBA champion and the third all-time leading scorer in NBA history, laughed when asked whether he'd heard such comments from fans defending him.

"Yeah, I heard a couple of them," he said with a smile after scoring 16 points on 5-of-11 shooting in nearly 22 minutes. "I don't need to defend that [ranking]. Nobody does, really."

Pressed on what he thought of the ranking, Bryant said, "Please don't ask me about silly stuff like that."

After the release of last year's rankings, in which he was No. 40, Bryant voiced his displeasure.

"I've known for a long time [that] they're a bunch of idiots," Bryant said last October, referring to the ranking as "silly" and "laughable."

:goty2

Bryant's past three seasons all have been cut short by injury. And in the 41 games Bryant has played over the past two seasons, he has averaged 21.1 points per game while shooting less than 38 percent from the field.

That's the worst field goal percentage over any two-year stretch in the shot-clock era (since 1954-55) in which a player averaged at least 20 points per game, according to ESPN Stats & Info.

Of the 172 players who took at least 500 shots last season, only Utah Jazz guard Trey Burke shot worse from the field.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #16732 on: October 09, 2015, 09:23:02 PM »

blatantly and repeatedly lie while under oath brehs

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16733 on: October 09, 2015, 10:32:10 PM »
James Andrew Miller –  ‏@JimMiller

4 highly regarded @Grantland33 staffers turned in resignations today to @ESPN and will be going to work for @BillSimmons

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #16734 on: October 09, 2015, 11:34:11 PM »
please god let one be lowe
püp

Stoney Mason

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #16736 on: October 14, 2015, 12:35:01 AM »
odom :(

benjipwns

« Reply #16737 on: October 14, 2015, 12:40:41 AM »
FiveThirtyEight (including Neil Paine of B-R fame) has started posting their projections:
https://fivethirtyeight.com/tag/2015-16-nba-previews/

So far:

Celtics: 48-34
Hawks: 45-37
Pistons: 38-44
Nets: 25-57

Thunder: 56-26
Spurs: 56-26
Pelicans: 46-36
Mavericks: 41-41

benjipwns

« Reply #16738 on: October 14, 2015, 03:41:05 AM »

the Detroit Chrome uniforms were designed to "honor our coolest cars from the past and the cars of the future."

EDIT: Also, dat Stanley Johnson. :whew
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 04:41:23 AM by benjipwns »

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #16739 on: October 14, 2015, 08:05:37 AM »
please god let one be lowe

Barnwell too. Best NFL analyst out there right now. I read some of his articles and feel like AiA out there on Sunday, pointing out the 2 gap and shit.

Leave them gaps to the fat boys, keep your eye on them bucket zones breh. My boy charles still running it like a boss.

:lawd
YMMV