Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1532698 times)

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
Re: The NBA thread (Playoff-Time)
« Reply #17520 on: April 21, 2016, 09:51:51 PM »

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
YMMV

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #17522 on: April 21, 2016, 11:56:11 PM »
Thibs from his first go-round with the Timberwolves in their early days:

« Reply #17523 on: April 22, 2016, 12:42:00 AM »
😈

benjipwns

« Reply #17524 on: April 22, 2016, 01:18:58 AM »
 :lol

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #17525 on: April 22, 2016, 08:36:18 AM »
Pretty clear the entire team hates Harden. Not shocked, but still they should at least try to act like fucking professionals....christ.
YMMV

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
vin

benjipwns

« Reply #17527 on: April 22, 2016, 08:51:03 PM »
"I think everybody made a big deal out of nothing, and we were very happy we won the game," Howard said after Friday's film session. "But I think more so we were kind of upset we put ourselves in that situation. It took a last-second shot to win the game when we clearly had the game beat from the beginning of the game.

"So for all those people saying we weren't happy and excited because James hit the shot, shut up."
Asked why the bench was so calm after Harden's shot, Howard said the players were thinking, "Don't let them get a shot off. They're known to hit crazy shots."

"[Thursday night], things about us, about the bench not being happy about James hitting the shot, all of us were happy," he said. "At the same time, we're focused, and we can't allow this team to get the ball again and shoot. Sometimes they play like 'Angels in the Outfield,' and they might catch it at half court and hit a crazy shot. You can't just celebrate in a situation like that.

"I don't think nobody was upset or mad James hit the shot. All of us were focused. That could have been the season right there."

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17528 on: April 22, 2016, 08:56:23 PM »
When Pistons get a bench they will be dangerous.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17529 on: April 22, 2016, 10:50:12 PM »
Great game from Isaiah Thomas

benjipwns

« Reply #17530 on: April 22, 2016, 11:13:33 PM »
I love watching Stan going from having a great big grin on his face off back to back transition threes to two possessions later almost losing his mind over a blown rotation that ultimately didn't affect the play at all. :lol

« Reply #17531 on: April 24, 2016, 05:57:41 PM »
Is Curry done for the playoffs?
😈

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #17532 on: April 24, 2016, 06:14:09 PM »

Imagine if he is out for rest of playoffs, Spurs get to finals and the Cavs still can't win.
:dead

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17533 on: April 24, 2016, 06:24:04 PM »
Rockets are pathetic. No Curry. At Home. Close game at half. And they still get dusted.

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #17534 on: April 24, 2016, 06:32:44 PM »
he was putting weight on it before he left for the locker room. I think best case scenario he's back game 1 of the semis

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17535 on: April 24, 2016, 06:38:59 PM »

Imagine if he is out for rest of playoffs

That's what happens when you over exert yourself trying to get 73 wins.

On a serious note, I hope it isn't a big injury. That would suck big time

Stoney Mason

Re: The NBA thread (Curry 2nd MRI tomorrow)
« Reply #17536 on: April 24, 2016, 06:53:44 PM »
Ethan Sherwood Strauss
ESPN Staff Writer

Kerr on Curry: "I just feel so bad for him."

Ethan Strauss
@SherwoodStrauss

Kerr also said, "We have to move on." An MRI will have its say but Kerr isn't exactly brimming with optimism

« Reply #17537 on: April 24, 2016, 07:09:50 PM »
just saw this on the coli

http://i.imgur.com/DzieKF4.jpg

Context?  :rofl
😈

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17538 on: April 24, 2016, 08:04:11 PM »
Good Celtics Hawks game going into the 4th quarter.

El Babua

« Reply #17539 on: April 24, 2016, 08:20:07 PM »
Curry :(

just saw this on the coli

http://i.imgur.com/DzieKF4.jpg

Context?  :rofl

That's basically the context. Dude was chillin as his team was getting blown out lmao

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17540 on: April 24, 2016, 08:48:36 PM »
What a dagger three. What a game.

:lawd

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17541 on: April 24, 2016, 10:13:46 PM »
Cavs have played their best basketball of the season in this series. Love has been aggressive and they've actually used him in so many situations they haven't since he got there.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 10:21:06 PM by Stoney Mason »

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #17542 on: April 24, 2016, 10:38:23 PM »
Yup.  And even with that, the Pistons are being coached hella good.  Also some great performances from Morris and KCP.
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17543 on: April 24, 2016, 11:17:49 PM »
That series was much closer than a sweep.

As good as kyrie is one on one I wish he had the mindset to draw attention and dish more. It's the frustrating part of his game.

Pistons impressed the crap out of me.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #17544 on: April 24, 2016, 11:21:35 PM »
Pistons will be fine, just need a bench and a star. If they can lure someone here I'd let Drummond walk. Just not sold on him developing enough to justify a max deal that I'd rather give someone else (if the Pistons can find that someone else).

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17545 on: April 24, 2016, 11:22:43 PM »
Byron Scott expects to be back with Lakers, dismisses coaching critics
By BAXTER HOLMES via ESPN Apr 16, 2016, 3:43 AM ET

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- Los Angeles Lakers head coach Byron Scott said Friday that he "absolutely" expects to maintain his role next season, despite the Lakers' posting the worst record in franchise history in each of the two seasons since he was hired.

"Absolutely," Scott said two days after the team closed its 2015-16 season with a win over the Utah Jazz, which gave the Lakers a franchise-worst 17-65 record.

:jawalrus

Byron Scott dismissed by Lakers, sources say

The Los Angeles Lakers have fired coach Byron Scott after they posted the worst record in franchise history in each of the two seasons since he was hired, sources told ESPN's Stephen A. Smith on Sunday.

Scott had said he expected to be back a week ago, two days after the team closed its 2015-16 season with a win over the Utah Jazz, which gave the Lakers a franchise-worst 17-65 record.

Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak had said he and Lakers part-owner and executive vice president Jim Buss plan to have an "informal lunch" with Scott at some point in the next two weeks.

The Lakers have been in rebuilding mode since Kobe Bryant ruptured his Achilles in April 2013. All-Star center Dwight Howard left the team for less money elsewhere the following offseason, then All-Star center Pau Gasol did the same in the summer of 2014.

Bryant, meanwhile, wasn't the same dominant player since his Achilles injury. The five-time champion suffered consecutive season-ending injuries in the 2013-14 and 2014-15 seasons. He played 66 games this past season before retiring.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17546 on: April 24, 2016, 11:24:52 PM »
Pistons will be fine, just need a bench and a star. If they can lure someone here I'd let Drummond walk. Just not sold on him developing enough to justify a max deal that I'd rather give someone else (if the Pistons can find that someone else).

I don't watch enough Pistons basketball to speak to their team but I liked what I saw from him this series. If he could just improve his free throw shooting to stay on the floor. Either way, signs point to the Hack a Shaq rules changing somewhat next year.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #17547 on: April 24, 2016, 11:51:32 PM »
püp

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #17548 on: April 25, 2016, 01:09:32 AM »

This is the stupidest fucking post.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #17549 on: April 25, 2016, 01:26:01 AM »

This is the stupidest fucking post.

I played AAU basketball and shook Tom Brady's hand, you clearly don't know what you're talking about.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
you'd give him the max?
[close]

Mandark

• Icon
I acknowledge that I've been trolled into answering your question
« Reply #17550 on: April 25, 2016, 01:48:08 AM »
It has more to do with the salary cap and "max" salary than quibbling about how good he is/will be as a player.

The new TV deal is inflating the cap.  It's going from ~$70 million last offseason to ~$90 million this offseason to over $100 million the year after that, after which it's meant to stabilize.

Max contracts represent a certain percentage of the cap, and you can get a higher percentage based on how long you've been in the league (<5 years, 5-9 years, 10+ years are the tiers).  A "max" player signed after their 4-year rookie contract like Drummond is cheaper than a veteran max (think Kobe, Melo), and a max contract calculated based on a $92 million cap is cheaper than a max contract based on a $107 million cap.  You can see an estimate of different max salaries here.

If Drummond signs at $21 million, that's as much as Tobias Harris plus either Aaron Baynes or Jodie Meeks next year.  If you look at Detroit's cap, you'll have room next offseason to go after any free agents without breaking up any of the core.  If you want to get a top free agent this offseason...  look who's available after LBJ and KD, who aren't coming.  You gonna drop your 22 year old rising star to pay Mike Conley into his 30's?  Al Horford?

But none of that even really matters, cause even if you preferred cap space to Drummond, you could sign-and-trade him to the Celtics or whoever, and get that space PLUS a bunch of first round draft picks, because most other teams would want him.  Letting him walk when you can get free shit in exchange makes no sense.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #17551 on: April 25, 2016, 09:53:42 AM »
The Lakers should hire David Blatt now. For the lullls.

Am_I_Anonymous

Re: I acknowledge that I've been trolled into answering your question
« Reply #17552 on: April 25, 2016, 11:38:00 AM »
It has more to do with the salary cap and "max" salary than quibbling about how good he is/will be as a player.

The new TV deal is inflating the cap.  It's going from ~$70 million last offseason to ~$90 million this offseason to over $100 million the year after that, after which it's meant to stabilize.

Max contracts represent a certain percentage of the cap, and you can get a higher percentage based on how long you've been in the league (<5 years, 5-9 years, 10+ years are the tiers).  A "max" player signed after their 4-year rookie contract like Drummond is cheaper than a veteran max (think Kobe, Melo), and a max contract calculated based on a $92 million cap is cheaper than a max contract based on a $107 million cap.  You can see an estimate of different max salaries here.

If Drummond signs at $21 million, that's as much as Tobias Harris plus either Aaron Baynes or Jodie Meeks next year.  If you look at Detroit's cap, you'll have room next offseason to go after any free agents without breaking up any of the core.  If you want to get a top free agent this offseason...  look who's available after LBJ and KD, who aren't coming.  You gonna drop your 22 year old rising star to pay Mike Conley into his 30's?  Al Horford?

But none of that even really matters, cause even if you preferred cap space to Drummond, you could sign-and-trade him to the Celtics or whoever, and get that space PLUS a bunch of first round draft picks, because most other teams would want him.  Letting him walk when you can get free shit in exchange makes no sense.

Totally agree. He's gonna get the max from Detroit anyway.

And who would trade away a top 3 center anyway? :kobeyuck
YMMV

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #17553 on: April 25, 2016, 12:10:59 PM »
The Lakers should hire David Blatt now. For the lullls.

They should.
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17554 on: April 25, 2016, 03:46:17 PM »
Adrian WojnarowskiVerified account
‏@WojVerticalNBA
Vertical Sources: Steph Curry's MRI on knee has returned negative, no damage, a Grade 1 sprain. Could miss two weeks.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #17555 on: April 25, 2016, 04:26:00 PM »
Hmmmm.  They should be able to take care of business in that amount of time.
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17556 on: April 25, 2016, 09:40:58 PM »
Hornets gonna tie up series 2-2 with Heat

Stoney Mason

Re: The NBA thread (Curry Probably out 2 weeks)
« Reply #17557 on: April 26, 2016, 01:10:27 AM »
Los Angeles Clippers point guard Chris Paul suffered a fracture in his hand during Monday's playoff game against the Portland Trail Blazers and did not return.

Paul suffered the injury while defending Trail Blazers guard Gerald Henderson and was taken out of the game with 6:07 left in the third quarter of Game 4.

Paul's fracture was in the third metacarpal, in the center of the palm of his right hand.

:-\

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17558 on: April 26, 2016, 01:14:33 AM »

:mynicca

benjipwns

« Reply #17559 on: April 26, 2016, 04:46:09 AM »
Reggie Jackson needs a better backup, really the entire team does. And the entire team needs someone other than Jackson who can handle the ball. He botched that last play by going for the three and the win. And botches lots of them by doing things like trying unnecessarily to draw fouls first and not even truly attempting a shot. He forgets about his teammates more than Brandon Jennings did, which is pretty awesome. Brandon Knight would be a pretty nice guard to have now. :lol

In the ESPN 5-on-5, the one guy was calling the Tobias Harris acquisition a disaster because he's a tweener and they already had Morris and has a four year deal. But Harris was fantastic since they got him. And he's 23. When he was on, the whole team dynamic would change.

I liked Stanley's improvement over the year, there was no way they could have thrown him at LeBron like that a few months ago. It was great to see a rookie get so much burn after the Curry-Kuester-Frank-Cheeks era. That said, he reallly needs a three. KCP getting consistent this year and then turning into a late game no care killer probably saved his long term prospects.

Apparently SVG wants to kick the tires on signing Nene or similar to a short-term deal to bulk up the front line and give the team a post playmaker. Also late-game Andre insurance.

I'm not as concerned as others about the D. Team is young, putting pieces together still, Stan can crank up a D like he did in Orlando. Getting the team out of the offensive gutter was the important thing. A bench and another couple playmakers either internally or signed will do a lot, especially with the current East situation.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #17560 on: April 26, 2016, 11:30:05 AM »
Loved the either Durant and Westbrook has for Villanueva   :neogaf

Westbrook "Well now he can get home and practice to sit for 82 games next year"  :jawalrus

Durant "If he's even in the league"  :shaq2

:whew
YMMV

benjipwns

« Reply #17561 on: April 26, 2016, 12:18:44 PM »
Kings getting new...retro logos:

Potential colors:

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #17562 on: April 26, 2016, 12:20:53 PM »
First thing they've done right this year. Those aren't bad at all.
YMMV

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #17563 on: April 26, 2016, 01:21:43 PM »
I liked Stanley's improvement over the year, there was no way they could have thrown him at LeBron like that a few months ago. It was great to see a rookie get so much burn after the Curry-Kuester-Frank-Cheeks era. That said, he reallly needs a three.

he was getting some pretty demanding assignments -LeBron, switching onto kyrie- that he handled pretty well from what I saw. He shot the ball well from the corners in college, I think his shot'll come along alright. He's only what, 20 right now? He's got a lot of time ahead of him but I wasn't expecting his offense to need so much work.

e: also, at Arizona he was great at shooting the passing lanes for breakaway steals, but that mightve been just because he was such a better athlete than anyone else on the court. Did you see any of that this year?

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #17564 on: April 26, 2016, 01:24:42 PM »
Fuck, that lion/basketball logo is hot hot hot
püp

benjipwns

oh clippers, you're not getting away from sterling that easily

benjipwns

Refined crown & ball is modern take on civic & franchise pride that has grown for generation. #NewEraOfProud

The secondary logo symbolizes the bold and unwavering devotion we have for our city. #NewEraOfProud

Legendary fan base creates greatest home court advantage in all sports & this represents their roar. #NewEraOfProud

Derived from the primary logo, the crown is angled slightly to provide dimension & strength. #NewEraOfProud

Crest will be used in visual identity as we continue to make bball the global sport of 21st century. #NewEraOfProud

Each designed to connect elements that define Sacramento Kings: Our City. Our Pride. Our Foundation. #NewEraOfProud

Beezy

Wow. Now GSW can rest Curry until the WCF if they need to.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
If only the Clippers hadn't pushed so hard to get 73 wins, they wouldn't be racking up all these injuries now.
©@©™

Stoney Mason

SplittinWigs

« Reply #17572 on: April 29, 2016, 03:44:46 AM »
Late here but fuck the Rockets. Team full of clowns. Harden included. People give him a pass because he can put up points but he lives on bitch play and his defense is beyond trash. Fuck him and his nappy ass beard. Waste of talent.

And Dwight. What happened? Young fans forget that a few years back in Orlando he was biting Lebron's heels for MVP and even beat him in voting in '11. People were anointing him as the next Shaq. But he fell off so hard. Never developed that post game and whatever heart he used to have is gone now. I also think he looked his best in SVG's system in Orlando -- a team stacked with perimeter shooters who stretched the floor past the arc, and Dwight benefited from that that by living in the paint and being able to ddish out to the open man when he needed. They could play inside-out or outside-in. But this stagnant Houston iso ball just kills him and he's too stupid or stubborn or untalented to adapt. Buddy has checked the fuck out. I weep for the team that gives him a max contract next season.

Pacers making me sad too. PG13 is tragically overlooked due to his supporting cast being fuckin garbage. He has had this team on his back all season. Now he's putting up finals MVP numbers and still nobody gives a fuck. Cool to see that the Raps might finally make their way out the first round, but PG's performance is being totally overshadowed by that narrative.

Kings getting new...retro logos:
(Image removed from quote.)

Potential colors:
(Image removed from quote.)
The design is actually pretty nice but they should have taken the opportunity to ditch the purple. Tbh tho fans Sac fans are such homers that they could have changed the logo to a burning turd in a dumpster and their fans would still be sucking off the front office and proclaiming it to be the best artistic accomplishment since the Sistine Chapel.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 07:22:59 AM by SplittinWigs »

benjipwns

« Reply #17573 on: April 29, 2016, 10:11:28 AM »

benjipwns

« Reply #17574 on: April 29, 2016, 11:49:18 AM »
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15425744/andre-drummond-detroit-pistons-willing-consider-underhand-free-throws-coach-stan-van-gundy-says
Detroit Pistons center Andre Drummond is willing to consider a throwback free throw style to improve a glaring hole in his game, according to coach Stan Van Gundy.

"As far as shooting underhand or anything else, it's fair to say my discussion with Andre yesterday and the discussions [general manager] Jeff [Bower] and I have had and staff -- everything is on the table," Van Gundy said Thursday, according to The Detroit News.
"It won't be a unilateral decision," Van Gundy said. "We'll do some research on some things and come up with what we think is a good approach, talk to Andre and see what he thinks and develop an approach going forward.

"We all know it's an important thing -- Andre more than any of us -- he's pretty open to anything. There's a lot of ways to attack this problem, and we'll all have a hand in it."

Part of the problem is taking practice success into games. Drummond says he shoots free throws "really good" outside of games, and Van Gundy estimates that his practice conversion rate is 65 percent.

"It's just hard, for whatever reason, to translate from the practice floor to the game," Van Gundy told ESPN's Tom Haberstroh. "Look, you're standing there by yourself, with the game stopped, and everybody's watching. Let's say a guy misses a jump shot. The play goes to the other end, and everyone's focused on what's happening there. But Andre's standing there at the free throw line, all everybody's talking about who's watching the game is his free throw shooting. It's hard. It's really hard."
"The one thing we do know is the traditional approach and nothing else, of simply trying to correct mechanics and go in the gym and shoot a lot of free throws, has not worked," Van Gundy said Thursday. "So we've got to [try something] else. We've got to be a little more creative in how we approach it."
based svg

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17575 on: April 29, 2016, 10:24:37 PM »
LUKE WALTON AGREED TO BE LAKERS' COACH

The team and Walton have reached an agreement on a multi-year contract for the 36-year-old to become the next head coach of the team. He'll begin his duties at the end of the Warriors' season.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17576 on: April 29, 2016, 10:29:57 PM »
Kemba Walker going off

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17577 on: April 29, 2016, 10:37:25 PM »
Some clutch shots down the stretch for wade there.

SplittinWigs

« Reply #17578 on: April 29, 2016, 11:24:50 PM »
Worst first round in years? Mostly blowouts and sweeps, and all but one of these close series have been between the worst teams. And it's like they play to avoid losing more than they play to win. I hate to agree with Bill Simmons but he's right in saying the first round doesn't deserve seven games.

Still watching it all, though. Love that there are multiple games almost every night. Always some high-level play despite the shittier teams and this plague of injuries. No idea why casual sports fans lose their shit over March Madness every year when the NBA always does it bigger and better one month later.

LUKE WALTON AGREED TO BE LAKERS' COACH

The team and Walton have reached an agreement on a multi-year contract for the 36-year-old to become the next head coach of the team. He'll begin his duties at the end of the Warriors' season.

This is what everyone predicted, and I guess this makes sense for both parties. And his alternative choices -- Sac, Washington, maybe NY -- were no more attractive. Just a rough situation to step into as a young coach, especially after cutting his teeth on the Warriors' greatness.

El Babua

« Reply #17579 on: April 29, 2016, 11:31:37 PM »
D-Wade :wow