Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1532081 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: The NBA thread (It's Over. Warriors win the title)
« Reply #19140 on: July 09, 2017, 06:34:43 PM »
omg rick fox

need a response from Doug Christie's wife asap
fixed for accuracy

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #19141 on: July 09, 2017, 08:02:44 PM »
There is only one man that could possibly save the Knicks from an eternity of irrelevance.

yar

etiolate

« Reply #19142 on: July 10, 2017, 01:23:23 AM »
De'Aaron Fox is like a John Wall | Mike Conley hybrid.

benjipwns

« Reply #19143 on: July 12, 2017, 09:47:55 AM »
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope has agreed to a one-year, $18 million deal with the Los Angeles Lakers, sources said.

etiolate

« Reply #19144 on: July 12, 2017, 05:03:57 PM »
Rule changes about timeouts to speed up game. Less timeouts at end of games and shorter timeouts.

Trade deadline will be before all-star game.

And season to start Oct 17, meaning more spaced out games?

benjipwns

« Reply #19145 on: July 14, 2017, 01:52:15 PM »
The Knicks and former Kings VP Scott Perry have agreed on a five-year deal for Perry to serve as the Knicks' general manager.
why do they keep giving all these guys five year deals :lol

etiolate

« Reply #19146 on: July 14, 2017, 02:11:18 PM »
Scott Perry did a fine job with the Kings... for 3 months.

Before that he helped Orlando go nowhere over three years.

So no I wouldn't have given him a five year deal. He will help the Knicks improve media relations. The press is very nice to him.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #19147 on: July 14, 2017, 02:18:22 PM »
If only they had been brave.

yar

benjipwns

« Reply #19148 on: July 17, 2017, 08:24:19 PM »
The Boston Celtics signed Paul Pierce Monday so that he could retire as a member of the organization.
surprised this doesn't actually happen as often as it could

bluemax

« Reply #19149 on: July 18, 2017, 09:20:49 PM »
https://www.sbnation.com/2017/7/18/15990700/nba-nike-uniforms-home-away-sports-apparel-deal

Also Doc Rivers said the Clippers will somehow have better ball movement this season without one of the best pure point guards in NBA history.
NO

FStop7

« Reply #19150 on: July 19, 2017, 04:48:14 PM »
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2722388-will-dan-gilbert-remember-lesson-from-lebron-james-first-exit-from-cleveland?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Shit article.  Ignores Lebron's no trade clause until a single sentence at the end. 

The Boston Celtics signed Paul Pierce Monday so that he could retire as a member of the organization.
surprised this doesn't actually happen as often as it could

Dafuq?  This dude needs to move on, already.  The whole point of his season with the Clippers was so he could play in LA and have a z-list farewell tour.  Now he wants more?  Just go, Paul.  Hop in the wheelchair and roll off into the sunset.

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #19152 on: July 21, 2017, 06:03:53 PM »
he knows lebron is jumping ship next season so he's trying to get out first

FStop7

« Reply #19153 on: July 21, 2017, 06:51:26 PM »
Heat, Clippers, Spurs, Pelicans. 

i want to see him in LA but his best move is probably San Antonio if there is a deal to be made.  Kyrie+Kawhi would be lethal.

benjipwns

« Reply #19154 on: July 21, 2017, 07:39:32 PM »
he wants a bigger role, so wants to go to the spurs?

funny enough if he goes to the clippers he's going to the team that would have originally had his #1 pick before they traded it to get rid of baron davis

benjipwns

« Reply #19155 on: July 22, 2017, 03:14:27 AM »
Was looking at the trade machine and the mentioned teams by Kyrie, the Clippers (via former Rockets) and Heat could offer decent pieces to build up the Cavs depth, especially if the Cavs can make them take Shumpert as penalty...Knicks have Melo but I can't imagine anything else gets put on the table, again unless the Cavs force Shumpert on them then the Knicks have to give some extra pieces back...Spurs and Wolves are just hard to make trades work salary wise, let alone assuming they'd really give up any of the players or the Cavaliers want them. Spurs you almost have to work in a third team and it would be Danny Green (who the Cavs once waived!) and a bundle of reserves.

I assume they'll just tell Kyrie to play out the season with a promise to move him when there's more flexibility and options next offseason if LeBron decides to stay again.

ESPN story is that Kyrie was originally promised they'd build the team around him and then LeBron decided to sign and the Cavs have been building for that instead and he wants to be the center of a Steve Nash like Suns team.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #19156 on: July 22, 2017, 03:23:02 AM »
Can you imagine if they trade him, then a year later Lebron decides to sign wherever Irving has been traded? :lol :lol :lol
yar

benjipwns

« Reply #19157 on: July 22, 2017, 04:51:29 AM »
In all seriousness, I've been thinking that LeBron might kinda need a break year anyway as he's starting to enter the area of the downslope of the standard career peak. Coming off seven straight trips to the NBA Finals, plus an Olympics.

Like a serious one, not skipping eight games but still playing more than anyone in the league. That was Kobe's kind of rests too after 32. But a Spurs style for Timmy 30 minutes a night season. They're too good to drop out of the playoffs anyway, even under attack by injuries and home court advantage probably is still not a big deal against the East when LeBron goes full force for a series. Hell, he's probably too good not to still put up 24/7/6 or something insane in those minutes.

Not like any given game can't become a 35 or 40 minute night. But let him sit more and let Kyrie and Love run a bunch of pick and rolls with Korver and Frye on the floor. Give Kyrie the season he wants, and then LeBron can assume command for the playoffs.

benjipwns

« Reply #19158 on: July 25, 2017, 08:48:29 AM »
Free-agent center Pau Gasol has signed a three-year, $48 million deal to return to the San Antonio Spurs, league sources told ESPN.

The deal includes a partial guarantee on the contract's final year, sources said.
Wow, he's 37.

He's an ideal Spurs big man and they're the kings of minutes management but I figured he'd be considering shutting it down sooner than that.

benjipwns

« Reply #19159 on: July 26, 2017, 02:31:03 AM »
The Portland Trail Blazers are trading guard Allen Crabbe to the Brooklyn Nets, league sources told ESPN.

Brooklyn signed Crabbe to a four-year, $75 million offer sheet a year ago. Portland matched the sheet and, under league rules, needed to wait one full year to include Crabbe into a deal with the Nets.

The Nets will send forward Andrew Nicholson to the Blazers, league sources said. Portland will likely waive the remainder of the three years, $20 million on Nicholson's contract, and use the stretch provision to ease the luxury tax hit on the Blazers' cap, league sources said.

Portland generates a $12.9 million trade exception in the deal, too. The exception expires in one year.

The Blazers have $110 million in salary committed to the 2018-19 season, with center Jusuf Nurkic eligible for his rookie extension before the season.
Had to move somebody from that wing and probably nobody wanted Evan Turner.

Also, Melo/Irving trade possibilities related, Brandon Knight will miss the entire season after tearing his ACL.

benjipwns

« Reply #19160 on: July 26, 2017, 03:24:21 AM »
Portland has the second highest payroll in the league after Cleveland. They have the highest guaranteed payroll from just five players of any team through 2020. They bet on the cap jumps, signed a bunch of younger reserves hoping they'd blossom like McCollum, and got screwed when neither that nor the cap explosion happened.

Next year, they would have these salary commitments before this trade:
Lillard: $28 million
McCollum: $25.8 million
Crabbe: $19.3 million
Evan Turner: $17.9 million
Meyers Leonard: $10.6 million
Moe Harkless: $10.4 million
Al-Farouq Aminu: $7 million

A year after that, 2019-20 they'd have been on the books for:
Lillard: $29.8 million
McCollum: $27.6 million
Turner: $18.6 million
Crabbe: $18.5 million
Leonard: $11.3 million
Harkless: $11 million

And they have to extend Jusuf Nurkic to a new deal this year which just adds to it.

benjipwns

benjipwns

Re: The NBA thread
« Reply #19162 on: August 06, 2017, 06:33:55 AM »
Kevin Pelton's Projected 2017-18 Standings
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20225286/projected-records-win-totals-standings-every-nba-team-2017-18-season

Western:
1. Warriors (62-20)
2. Rockets (55-27)
3. Spurs (53-29)
4. Timberwolves (50-32)
5. Thunder (50-32)
6. Clippers (49-33)
7. Nuggets (47-35)
8. Jazz (45-37)
----
9. Pelicans (44-38)
10. Blazers (44-38)
11. Mavericks (35-47)
12. Grizzlies (35-47)
13. Lakers (33-49)
14. Suns (30-52)
15. Kings (27-55)

Eastern:
1. Celtics (49-33)
2. Cavaliers (49-33)
3. Wizards (48-34)
4. Bucks (47-35)
5. Hornets (44-38)
6. Raptors (43-39)
7. Heat (42-40)
8. Pistons (35-47)
----
9. Sixers (33-49)
10. Magic (32-50)
11. Pacers (32-50)
12. Knicks (32-50)
13. Nets (30-52)
14. Bulls (29-53)
15. Hawks (27-55)

benjipwns

« Reply #19163 on: August 08, 2017, 08:49:05 AM »
“My kids’ kids’ kids should be fine,” Wall told The Vertical about the $207 million headed his way over the next six years.
:lol

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #19164 on: August 08, 2017, 11:27:25 AM »
“My kids’ kids’ kids should be fine,” Wall told The Vertical about the $207 million headed his way over the next six years.
:lol

Thinking about generational wealth/taking care of his family? What a thug.

benjipwns

« Reply #19166 on: August 12, 2017, 04:19:55 PM »
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20319079/kevin-pelton-weekly-mailbag-including-avery-bradley-defense
"I had an idea for a basketball strategy that goes a little something like this: A player rebounds the ball. His four teammates then surround him and form a wall. Perhaps they even hold hands to form a true circle around the player with the ball. Then they head down the court, and in theory the wall of players should protect the player with the ball, and he will be able to get an uncontested shot from wherever they navigate to. It could be a 3-pointer, it could be a glorified free throw, it could be whatever. After the shot, the players forming the circle would get into rebounding mode, obviously.

"I'm not saying this is a brilliant idea, but I am wondering if it is even a decent idea, or a plausible idea. Could this work? Are there pitfalls to this plan that would render it impossible? Have I accidentally revolutionized basketball forever? Only you can decide for sure." - Chris Morgan

etiolate

« Reply #19167 on: August 12, 2017, 04:27:46 PM »
Pretty sure he stole that idea from Kobe.

benjipwns

« Reply #19168 on: August 18, 2017, 01:39:57 AM »

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #19169 on: August 18, 2017, 10:13:30 AM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19170 on: August 22, 2017, 07:53:04 PM »
The Boston Celtics have acquired All-Star point guard Kyrie Irving from the Cleveland Cavaliers for point guard Isaiah Thomas, forward Jae Crowder, center Ante Zizic and a 2018 draft pick, sources tell ESPN.

Thomas had been bracing for the possibility of a trade on Tuesday, league sources told ESPN.

Irving, 25, requested a trade during a July meeting with Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert. Irving has said that he wants to play in a situation where he can be more of a focal point and that he no longer wants to play alongside LeBron James, sources said.

Thomas has spent the offseason recovering from a right hip injury. He led the Celtics to the best record in the Eastern Conference, averaging 28.9 points and 5.9 assists over 33.8 minutes per game during the regular season.

Thomas missed the final three games of the Eastern Conference finals with the hip injury and opted not to have surgery. Celtics coach Brad Stevens said Monday that he was not sure Thomas would be ready for the start of training camp, but that further medical tests in September would determine that timeline.

Thomas, 28, will become a free agent when his contract expires at the end of June. Thomas has said he believes he's worthy of a maximum contract.

Irving was the No. 1 pick in the 2011 Draft. Thomas was the last.

The trade will make for an interesting opener for both teams. The Celtics and Cavaliers open the season in Cleveland on Oct. 17.

Stoney Mason

Re: The NBA thread (Kyrie to Boston. Isiah to Cleveland)
« Reply #19171 on: August 22, 2017, 08:11:34 PM »
Most people are saying Cleveland got the better end of this trade. We'll see I guess.

Also the Pacers continue to be idiots for getting so little for Paul George. Both the Cavs and Celitcs would have been willing to give up a lot to get PG.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #19172 on: August 22, 2017, 08:22:59 PM »
WHAT
püp

samfish

• Cereal mispeller
« Reply #19173 on: August 22, 2017, 09:49:29 PM »
Who will break first?

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #19174 on: August 22, 2017, 10:11:18 PM »
Not feelin it but I trust in Danny

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #19175 on: August 22, 2017, 10:28:35 PM »
Pretty shocked they got a likely lottery pick on top.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19176 on: August 22, 2017, 11:50:57 PM »
Pretty shocked they got a likely lottery pick on top.

Yeah this seems to be a move aimed at a post lebron future. Isaiah Thomas is a good player with a hell of a heart but I'd rather take kyrie and his size compared to him.

Jae Crowder is a nice under-valued pickup for them though.

T-Short

• hooker strangler
地平線

bluemax

« Reply #19178 on: August 24, 2017, 12:02:46 AM »
Clips signed some dude from the Zombies as their new GM.
NO

benjipwns

« Reply #19179 on: August 24, 2017, 01:07:19 AM »
Kevin Pelton did some RPM crunching to update his projections for the season:
While the two All-Star point guards in this trade have stolen all the headlines, it's the third veteran player -- Crowder -- who actually has the best RPM projection of the three. Why is that? In part, it reflects the defensive shortcomings of both Irving and Thomas, at least during the regular season.

Befitting their status as efficient, high-scoring point guards, Irving and Thomas rate as standout offensive contributors. Thomas' projected plus-5.2 offensive RPM -- based on performance during the past three seasons and an age adjustment -- puts him sixth in the NBA, while Irving (plus-4.2) ranks 13th. Yet both players have defensive RPM projections that put them in the league's bottom 25, with Thomas (minus-3.7) second worst among signed players ahead of only Bojan Bogdanovic of the Indiana Pacers.

By contrast, Crowder's projection is far more balanced. He's one of 12 players in the league who project at least 1.5 points better than league average per 100 possessions on both offense and defense. Nine of those 12 players were All-Stars in 2017, with Nikola Jokic and Ricky Rubio as the other two exceptions.

The balanced projection reflects Crowder's 3-and-D skill set as well as how much of a difference his presence in the lineup has made for Boston. His plus-7.8 net rating on the court in 2016-17 was second best among Celtics behind Amir Johnson (plus-8.0), per NBA.com/Stats. Meanwhile, Boston was outscored by 3.9 points per 100 possessions with Crowder on the bench, the worst mark on the team.

A single season of on-court/off-court data can be fluky, a reason that RPM projections include multiple years of data. But Crowder had a similar, if smaller effect, in 2015-16, when the Celtics' plus-0.8 net rating with him on the bench was worst among regular players. In 2014-15, when Crowder joined the team midseason, Boston had a minus-3.0 net rating with him on the bench, surpassed only by Kelly Olynyk (minus-3.2).
Since Irving and Thomas figure to play similar minutes, the question here was mostly how to redistribute the 30 minutes per game Crowder was projected to play. (Ante Zizic's five minutes per game were also redistributed to centers Aron Baynes and Daniel Theis.) I split them fairly equally between Brown (previously at 20 minutes per game), Tatum (10, much to the dismay of hopeful Celtics fans) and Marcus Morris (25), while also adding second-round pick Semi Ojeleye on the fringes of the rotation.

In RPM's estimation, Boston should get much worse production in place of Crowder. The Celtics were relatively ineffective with Brown on the court last season -- his minus-2.2 on-court net rating was worst among Boston regulars -- while most rookies do little to help their teams win, even ones as highly regarded as Tatum. As a result, Boston's RPM projection tumbles from 49.4 wins on average before the trade to 43.8, putting the Celtics fifth in the Eastern Conference.
Having added Crowder, the Cavaliers are suddenly flush with wing options. I have Iman Shumpert as the odd man out of the rotation for the most part, though. JR Smith also sees less playing time, and Crowder gets far fewer minutes than he was projected for in Boston (30 minutes per game).

Still, siphoning minutes from those Cleveland incumbents to Crowder improves the team's RPM projection from 49.2 wins -- nearly even with but just behind the Celtics before the trade -- to 53.7, tops in the East and within striking distance of the Houston Rockets (55.1) for the second-best projection in the league behind the Golden State Warriors.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #19180 on: August 24, 2017, 01:25:44 AM »
Y'know, I can't help but hate this. I was hoping that with the dumb amount of picks they had, Boston might be able to form a team around AB and IT. Now all that shit has been blow up, and it'll be awesome to watch, but Al Horford, Gordon Haywood, and Kyrie aren't carrying the Cs through the playoffs.

Hope Kyrie isn't too offended by our local paper being named 'The Globe"

benjipwns

« Reply #19181 on: August 30, 2017, 03:15:45 AM »
while literally everything else seems to be about the phony Celtics/Cavs kerfuffle over the trade, KP posted the biggest disagreements between Vegas and RPM and two teams i'm a bit interested in this season popped up along with Boston:
Boston Celtics
Line: 56.5 wins
RPM projection: 44.8 wins
I was looking at the lineup the other day and noticed something I retrospectively thought was totally getting underplayed in the press. Boston was close to league average on D last year, 13th, and they arguably either moved sideways or got worse at three positions. Amir->Morris and Crowder->Hayward are both general downgrades in that regard, plus they lost Bradley which leaves Smart as the main perimeter guy. Kyrie could be an upgrade on Thomas but he's not a huge one and he's never been very positive on that end. Plus Horford's back in the situation he openly hated in Atlanta when he doesn't have someone backing him up ala Amir/Zeller or Josh Smith to cover the backline, he's going to have to do it. Which he can, he just has been open about the fact that he doesn't find it ideal.

Philadelphia 76ers
Line: 42.5 wins
RPM projection: 33.5 wins
34 wins might still be good enough for the playoffs in the East though. Landing inbetween those marks probably definitely is. RPM has got to be tough on them here considering half their ideal rotation has basically no data. Though I may be a bit starry-eyed after Simmons and Embiid were a matchup nightmare that tore me apart in 2K recently. And that version of the team didn't have Amir, Redick, Fultz, a year older Saric, some idea of what to do with Okafor, etc.

LA Clippers
Line: 43.5 wins
RPM projection: 48.1 wins
Difference: 4.6 wins

The Clippers have become a favorite of statistical projections. Andrew Johnson's projections have them even higher at 51.6 wins.
This is one of those superstars get replaced by depth situations like OKC was hoping to have last year. It's going to really be relying on Griffin's development as an offensive player that Paul kinda shunted aside along with DeAndre taking away space down low. Now he's going to be the primary offensive player, but he's got all his additions he's made on giving himself an outside game and ability to distribute to fit himself in alongside those two. With Ganillari and the Rockets imports they don't look like that bad of team, not a contender anymore but probably not as huge of drop off as the Thunder took from Durant. Thunder went from 59-23 to 43-39 in pythag. Clippers were 52-30 last year and I don't think six teams out West going over or near 50 would be too crazy of a situation, yet it's kinda crazy to think losing Paul might only knock a couple wins off. But I guess they did quite well compared to a lot of a teams this offseason considering they got that haul of Rockets pieces and then plugging in Danilo to fill in for their superstar loss.

Their real problem probably continues to be Austin Rivers. :lol

bluemax

« Reply #19182 on: August 30, 2017, 03:25:36 AM »
Hey they got rid of Crawford and his contract, can't fix everything in one off season!

It's going to be interesting watching a more space oriented Clippers team after the last few years of having to rely on one of the best PGs of our lifetime to fit the ball in the awful spacing they had.
NO

benjipwns

« Reply #19183 on: August 30, 2017, 03:43:10 AM »
They could be a fun team if Doc lets em be. I really like Danilo's potential for devastating efficiency alongside a PF who not only can shoot outside eight feet but can distribute it oh, and isn't 6-8 combined with a big guy behind him who can clean up a little and also dominates the glass. He really worked well offensively with Jokic last year. Shame they couldn't have had him and Lou Williams while Paul was around instead of those almost self-inflicted gaping holes on the perimeter they always seemed to roll out with.

bluemax

« Reply #19184 on: August 30, 2017, 10:31:30 PM »
They could be a fun team if Doc lets em be. I really like Danilo's potential for devastating efficiency alongside a PF who not only can shoot outside eight feet but can distribute it oh, and isn't 6-8 combined with a big guy behind him who can clean up a little and also dominates the glass. He really worked well offensively with Jokic last year. Shame they couldn't have had him and Lou Williams while Paul was around instead of those almost self-inflicted gaping holes on the perimeter they always seemed to roll out with.

I kinda wonder what Doc's future is with the team now that they've lost CP3 and he's been stripped of GM powers. He's been horrible at developing/playing anyone but his favorite veterans and now they kinda have some dudes who are not old timers that they should give run to (even if their upside is rotation player at best) but will he be willing to do that?

I could see him quitting after this season.
NO

benjipwns

« Reply #19185 on: August 30, 2017, 10:51:19 PM »
He did want to retire before KG/Pierce convinced him to do one more go around, but that was to spend more time with Austin...

I've assumed he must have had some role in developing DeAndre into smarter positioning and such, he did similar work with Kendrick Perkins that then fell apart when he left, but then I remember the control group was Vinny Del Negro.

benjipwns

« Reply #19186 on: August 30, 2017, 11:00:10 PM »
With a Thursday morning deadline looming, the Boston Celtics agreed to send the Cleveland Cavaliers a 2020 second-round draft pick via the Miami Heat to acquire four-time All-Star guard Kyrie Irving and complete the blockbuster trade, league sources said.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19187 on: August 31, 2017, 10:09:26 AM »
nice. You could always tell they were just angling for an extra second round pick. I mentioned this to my brother once the initial rumours started swelling.

bluemax

« Reply #19188 on: August 31, 2017, 10:51:42 PM »
NO

benjipwns

« Reply #19189 on: September 06, 2017, 01:49:25 AM »
Saw it mentioned today and didn't believe it but it's true, there hasn't been a NBA coach fired since May 2016.

And there hasn't been a NBA coach hired since June 2, 2016: Jeff Hornacek.

This has to be some kind of record post-merger.

And looking through the current coaches, unless something weird happens like Clips struggle so Doc retires or similar, plus whatever it is the Kings do that's called management happens we might go another season. A lot of the ones I could think of potentially aren't expected to win games this year (ATL, CHI, PHX, etc.) or are like Hornacek who will probably at least get a season without having to try and force the triangle on the team. (Especially with the Knicks still paying Fisher and Phil.)

Alvin Gentry is probably the most obvious hot seat but I'm sure he'll get some time to at least try to start off the season with Boogie in the fold. SVG is his own boss after the owner. Terry Stotts just got extended. Steve Clifford maybe?

benjipwns

« Reply #19190 on: September 15, 2017, 02:01:45 AM »
I guess this could go somewhere else but I always like how news stories about sports players turn nobodies into franchise players, my favorite being "star" thrown around which this story doesn't use but is quite common, this is just an example I saw in the AP wire which while technically true still got me to click just to see the end line because I said "who?"

Former Celtic Nate Driggers sentenced to prison for selling stolen guns

CHICAGO -- An eight-year prison sentence has been handed to a former Boston Celtics player found guilty of receiving guns stolen off a freight train in Chicago.

Nate Driggers was found guilty in April of being a convicted felon in possession of stolen guns.

Evidence presented at trial showed the 44-year-old Driggers bought 30 of 111 Rugers stolen by gang members in 2015 from a rail car parked in a rail yard and quickly resold 29 of them. Only 19 guns have been recovered.

In asking for the maximum sentence of 10 years, prosecutors said Driggers' actions have contributed to the "very dark place" Chicago finds itself in when it comes to gun violence.

Driggers on Thursday again denied ever selling guns.

Drafted by the Celtics in 1996, Driggers appeared in 15 games that season.
He had a PER of 6.8 and BPM of -8.2. He spent a training camp with the Nuggets too. Played at the University of Montevallo where he averaged 28/11 as a Senior. He shot only 57% from the line in college.

And now you know... the rest of the story, good day.

benjipwns

« Reply #19191 on: September 21, 2017, 07:33:56 AM »
another seemingly yearly follow up piece on Robert Swift who seems to be putting his life back together if not really having a shot at getting back to the league (vs. the 3-on-3 or g-league) like these stories always try to frame things:
https://www.si.com/nba/2016/09/21/robert-swift-nba-drug-addiction-thunder-sonics

though there was this fun little part of the story from his rookie year:
The first time he guards Tim Duncan, Swift pushes up on him on the block, trying to impress him.

“Nah, nah, don’t do that,” Duncan says.

Swift is surprised. Duncan never talks to opponents. And yet...

“The ball’s going to swing to the other side, get position,” Duncan continues.

The ball swings. Swift follows orders, shuffling his feet across the lane, staying behind Duncan.

“No, further up,” Duncan says. Swift takes a half-step.

“No, a little higher, don’t let me duck in on you.”

Swift complies.

“All right, now come back,” Duncan says, moving across the lane. “The ball’s about to be swung back, but it’s not coming to me this time so don’t worry about it. But now you know how to play it.”

benjipwns

« Reply #19192 on: September 23, 2017, 06:14:06 AM »
Kevin Durant twitter story is so weird I'm convinced it's sorta fake.

Tyler Zeller to Nets and Tony Allen to the Pelicans are fun little end of FA shake outs that might be important later under the right circumstances. Especially the latter if the Pelicans make the playoffs. Zeller got log-jammed in Boston...of course now they have the space for him same as his other former team the Cavs did. I've kinda liked him as a mildly stretchy center off the bench though I can't fathom how any of the Zeller brothers seemingly can't block shots. Both of them still in the league probably need to develop a three point shot and become the new Frye.

The Mason Plumee contract seems like an overpaying especially after adding Milsap to play next to Jokic. Plus they've got Faried and Trey Lyles in the mix along with some other random dudes.

This Mohamed Bamba freshman at Texas is seven foot tall and has a minimum 7-9 wingspan. That's cheating, it totally lowers your ratings in MyCAREER.

Zach Lowe put out a column about some guys he's looking forward to seeing how things go this year: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20777848/zach-lowe-most-intriguing-players-2017-18-featuring-justise-winslow-jusuf-nurkic-nba
Remember Justise Winslow? Boston offered Charlotte four first-round picks just for the chance to draft him. One head coach told ESPN.com Winslow gave the best pre-draft interview he had ever seen.
That section along with Drummond being listed next reminded me that Stanley Johnson is probably going to get six times the minutes or more of Boban again.

So, umm, did the Pelicans -- with DeMarcus Cousins' free agency looming and limited paths to upgrade if he leaves -- just give Jrue Holiday $26 million per year to be an average spot-up shooter next to Rajon Rondo and two All-Star bigs?

They concluded Holiday just works better as a secondary ball handler, a role he has played next to Tyreke Evans, Tim Frazier, and others over four strange years in New Orleans. "I honestly don't think it changes much for me," Holiday told ESPN.com. "Rondo makes scoring so much easier."

The team worried about Holiday's court vision and shot selection as the undisputed floor general. "The fit with Rondo is going to be much, much better for him," Alvin Gentry, the Pelicans' head coach, told ESPN.com. "Anyone who doubts the value of Rondo just has to look at the playoffs last year. [The Bulls] dominated with him against Boston."

Gentry and his staff have to get creative. They hired Chris Finch away from Denver, and plan to mimic how the Nuggets ran their offense through Nikola Jokic. Cousins and Davis will handle the ball up high, while the other four players screen for one another. Gentry might even stick one of the bigs in the corner in Rick Adelman-style sets, and have Holiday screen for him there. "Deal with that," Gentry said.
"The Paul Georges and Kevin Durants -- we're going to ask Jrue to guard those guys," Gentry said.

El Babua

« Reply #19193 on: September 23, 2017, 01:52:17 PM »
Trump got dunked on by Steph and Bron.

Oh and Carmelo got traded too.

benjipwns

« Reply #19194 on: September 25, 2017, 12:06:15 AM »
That deal is actually kinda weird for the Knicks. They must plan on flipping Kanter?

I also love that both Melo and George who lamented having to play the four in the past are basically now going to be forced into it. Although it'll be a lot of switches and circumstancial matchups and such, the Thunder can't play them both otherwise. The shocking part will be which player realizes he's actually better playing there in the "new" NBA first?

Wade is apparently going to re-unite with LeBron in Cleveland after the Bulls complete his buyout. The dark side of me enjoys the Cavs seemingly accidentally backing their way into the deepest team they've ever rolled out around LeBron. Lots of people weirdly forget that 2015 Finals had Mozgov, Thompson and Dellavedova on the floor for most of the game earning their big contracts because the rest of the team was in shambles physically. Two of those were bench guys to start the season and Mozgov wasn't even on the roster.

Man, do OKC fans lead charmed lives though. Lose their first superstar only to watch Westbrook go insane for a year with a truly historic season and maybe polish off his edges in the process, and then land two superstars for peanuts including a guy who once forced his way off a near contender to New York simply because it was NYC who now is agreeing to play in one of the leagues smallest markets. Meanwhile, their lost star is going through some kind of mid career crisis that makes Draymond look normal and spent half of last year with his teammates visibly upset at his need for outside the system touches. :lol

benjipwns

« Reply #19195 on: September 25, 2017, 12:10:47 AM »
Season is going to be nuts, just dicking around with teams in 2K18 is sometimes silly. Even with all the changes they made recently you can tell their AI and play stuff still can't understand how to manage multiple ball handlers who can all score operating off seemingly eye contact like the 2002 Kings versus a ball handler who gets the ball to a single scorer and alternatively then a second option.

Plus many of the team-ups this year have been Melo, Paul, etc. guys who have gone through their primes as stars rather than the previously lamented guys in their primes-teaming-up. (Which Kobe has an extended monologue complaining about when he's a guest commentator when your team first plays the Lakers at home.)

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #19196 on: September 25, 2017, 01:00:15 AM »
That 8th seed in the east is going to a team who will maybe be the worst playoff team in the past 10 years. The first 6 slots are pretty much already decided and the 7th is too provided charlotte figures their shit out. If Philadelphia stays becomes healthy, they have as good a shot as anyone else; Hinkie vindicated.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #19197 on: September 25, 2017, 08:42:43 AM »
Been busy so haven't been able to comment on all the nba stuff in the news.

lol at durant and all his twitter foolishness.

OKC has done a great job at rebuilding without giving away anything anybody would care about. Getting Paul George and Carmelo for what they gave up is a steal.

Wade should be interesting. As long as he is willing to accept a diminshed role he can help some teams. If he's still trying to be the wade of old that's ain't gonna work.

Good article on Dwight Howard from a few days ago.

https://www.si.com/nba/2017/09/19/dwight-howard-hornets-magic-lakers-james-harden-kobe-bryant

Fuck our racist president and props to Steph and The warriors

I'm out.

benjipwns

Re: The NBA thread of fake twitter accounts
« Reply #19198 on: September 25, 2017, 09:09:38 AM »
I remember reading a serious predraft article about Dwight's religion and how this was a major warning sign that he'd be soft and a team killer like other religious sports players (Kurt Warner and David Robinson I guess?) so the smart move was to draft Okafor or Ben Gordon who you could actually build around. That was either the year before or after Dick Vitale did his big rant about how you shouldn't draft anyone from overseas because they haven't had to work hard every night and earn it like college players do.

I think I like the new analytics obsessed draft process more. :doge

Stoney Mason