Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1492684 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: The NBA thread
« Reply #22860 on: June 02, 2022, 11:23:28 PM »
I think Boston has a better shot than Miami would have but this seems like the Warriors title to lose ala 2016 or 2019. Revenge for 1964 I guess.
:bolo

benjipwns

benjipwns

« Reply #22862 on: June 14, 2022, 01:00:57 AM »
I get why you play Draymond a bunch, you need him for a large chunk of the game, but I think Kevin Looney might be the better option at this point if it's important. Boston seems completely confused about his existence. "But coach, they're playing a more traditional big, that's NOT FAIR!"

Looney's picked up a pretty decent amount of those Draymond like handoffs and stuff, plus he's actually willing to go to the basket when wide open which is a really sneaky play nobody has thought of.

benjipwns

« Reply #22863 on: June 16, 2022, 11:50:12 PM »

benjipwns

benjipwns

« Reply #22865 on: June 25, 2022, 12:39:01 AM »

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #22866 on: June 30, 2022, 03:05:18 PM »
Kevin Durant wants a trade :titus

Lakers trade him for Westbrook, who says no? :dobbs
(ice)

benjipwns

« Reply #22867 on: June 30, 2022, 03:15:03 PM »
lmao, he didn't tell the Nets or Irving beforehand so Kyrie opted in

The Phoenix Suns and Miami Heat are among two of the teams that Kevin Durant has on his wish list, sources told ESPN, but the Nets plan to move Durant where they can get the best possible deal.
ESPN's Brian Windhorst reports on This Just In that after Kevin Durant's trade request, Brooklyn Nets point guard Kyrie Irving will likely be on the trade market as well. Windhorst also adds that he thinks Durant is going to try and force himself to the Phoenix Suns, in a possible sign-and-trade deal involving Deandre Ayton.

Wants to be traded to the 64 win team of course, this guy :rofl

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #22868 on: June 30, 2022, 03:17:26 PM »
Guessing this ends up meaning that the Nets trade Kyrie to the Lakers for Westbrook cos why the fuck not if they're going to be shit anyway :elon
(ice)

benjipwns

« Reply #22869 on: June 30, 2022, 06:19:18 PM »
On NBA Today, ESPN's Brian Windhorst reported league executives have floated the idea that if the Brooklyn Nets trade Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving together, the Los Angeles Lakers are a possible destination.
lol what could possibly be the trade here

This is everyone the Lakers have under contract but LeBron and Davis:

benjipwns

« Reply #22870 on: July 01, 2022, 02:05:23 PM »
Celtics getting Malcolm Brogdon and Danilo Gallinari for basically nothing (2023 first round pick plus salaries)

benjipwns

« Reply #22871 on: July 01, 2022, 03:57:52 PM »
The Utah Jazz is trading center Rudy Gobert to the Minnesota Timberwolves, sources tell ESPN. The Timberwolves are sending Malik Beasley, Patrick Beverley, Walker Kessler, Jarred Vanderbilt and multiple first-round picks to the Jazz for Gobert.
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1542958211858415618
 :whoo

benjipwns

« Reply #22872 on: July 01, 2022, 04:02:22 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #22874 on: July 01, 2022, 06:49:57 PM »

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #22875 on: July 02, 2022, 04:29:46 AM »
The Utah Jazz is trading center Rudy Gobert to the Minnesota Timberwolves, sources tell ESPN. The Timberwolves are sending Malik Beasley, Patrick Beverley, Walker Kessler, Jarred Vanderbilt and multiple first-round picks to the Jazz for Gobert.
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1542958211858415618
 :whoo

https://twitter.com/NOTISAACCAMPOS/status/1542955778989887488
ὕβρις

benjipwns

benjipwns

« Reply #22877 on: July 20, 2022, 09:27:59 PM »
The NBA fined Golden State Warriors owner Joe Lacob $500,000 for violating the league's policy on publicly discussing collective bargaining talks, which included Lacob describing the league's luxury tax system as "very unfair" on a recent podcast, sources told ESPN on Wednesday.

The comments, aired on the Point Forward Podcast hosted by Andre Iguodala and Evan Turner, included Lacob defending the Warriors championship roster and league-leading payroll and luxury tax bills that exceed $340 million in the franchise's championship season of 2021-2022.

"The hardest thing of all is navigating this luxury tax, unfortunately. I went back to New York this week for labor meetings. I'm on the committee. And you know, obviously, the league wants everyone to have a chance and right now, there's a certain element out there that believes we 'checkbook win..." We won because we have the most salaries on our team.

"The truth is, we're only $40 million more than the luxury tax. Now, that's not small but it's not a massive number. We're $200 million over in total because most of that is this incredible penal luxury tax. And what I consider to be unfair and I'm going to say it on this podcast and I hope it gets back to whoever is listening. Obviously, it's self-serving for me to say this, but I think it's a very unfair system because our team is built by....all top eight players are all drafted by this team."
Amusingly the league has a fine repeater tax too, that's why he had to pay half a million. :lol

benjipwns

« Reply #22878 on: July 26, 2022, 12:18:24 AM »

benjipwns

« Reply #22879 on: August 11, 2022, 04:50:22 PM »
NBA will be retiring the jersey number 6 across all teams to honor Bill Russell.

Current players like LeBron who wore it last season will be able to continue wearing it if they want, it will just not be issued to new players from now on.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #22880 on: August 12, 2022, 12:00:40 PM »
But 6 is my first choice number on My Career :stahp
(ice)

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #22881 on: August 12, 2022, 02:39:08 PM »
FWIW I've never really cared for the retiring numbers tradition and much prefer to see a player crushed under the weight of expectation of a mere squad number previously worn by a legend :phil
(ice)

benjipwns

« Reply #22882 on: August 13, 2022, 02:10:58 PM »
I do think it's a little weird, the "rings of honor" or whatever are a little better, the Suns currently have a distinction where they haven't retired numbers in recent years because recent ownership wanted to wait until the franchise wins a title, so Steve Nash is only "honored" for example. The Lakers never retired any numbers for the Minneapolis Lakers and it seems weird to make the Lakers of all franchises retire Bill Russell's number.

More stars should change their numbers so they have to retire multiple numbers like the Lakers had to do for Kobe.

I think it's funny that the Warriors said they were going to retire KD's number just for the four years he was there when OKC probably will wait to do it while they went and retired Nick Collison's number of all people. I've seen Raptors fans debating whether or not Kawhi's number should be retired since the Raptors have never retired a number (I assume they'll retire Lowry's if they retire anyones) yet and he won them their only title while a lot of Spurs fans are still kinda hurt and don't want Kawhi's number ever retired.

OKC has wanted to retire Gary Payton's number ever since he retired but he refuses to have a retirement ceremony not in Seattle. :lol

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #22883 on: August 13, 2022, 02:32:50 PM »
what's going to happen in say 20 years when the Lakers have retired like 20 numbers and nearly every good basketball number going.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 04:50:29 PM by Pissy F Benny »
(ice)

benjipwns

« Reply #22884 on: August 18, 2022, 06:17:02 PM »

:rejoice greatest rebounder in NBA history already 63 games into rookie season :jeb

benjipwns

« Reply #22885 on: September 05, 2022, 08:33:11 PM »
ESPN finally found out my Insider subscription should have ended sometime in the past, especially since I never put a credit card they could charge on the account. Couldn't read Kevin Pelton's trade grades on the Donovon Mitchell trade, my life is over. :stahp

benjipwns

« Reply #22886 on: September 15, 2022, 06:30:33 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #22888 on: October 14, 2022, 09:30:17 PM »

Beezy

« Reply #22889 on: October 17, 2022, 10:58:56 AM »
https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1582016074689794049

A friend of mine is one of the writers on this.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 05:35:59 PM by Beezy »

benjipwns

« Reply #22890 on: October 24, 2022, 10:13:22 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #22891 on: November 02, 2022, 01:26:40 AM »

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #22892 on: November 02, 2022, 04:22:21 PM »
whats the deal with that whole situation, it all seems fucking odd when the only real public details are he had an affair with someone on the celtics staff :confused

context: i just read a rather hysterical piece about it and there seems to be a huge part of the story missing?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2022, 04:27:29 PM by Pissy F Benny »
(ice)

benjipwns

« Reply #22893 on: November 03, 2022, 08:06:40 PM »
The Brooklyn Nets have suspended Kyrie Irving for at least five games without pay, the team said in a statement Thursday.

"Over the last several days, we have made repeated attempts to work with Kyrie Irving to help him understand the harm and danger of his words and actions, which began with him publicizing a film containing deeply disturbing antisemitic hate," the team said in the statement.

"We were dismayed today, when given an opportunity in a media session, that Kyrie refused to unequivocally say he has no antisemitic beliefs, nor acknowledge specific hateful material in the film. This was not the first time he had the opportunity - but failed - to clarify.

"Such failure to disavow antisemitism when given a clear opportunity to do so is deeply disturbing, is against the values of our organization, and constitutes conduct detrimental to the team. Accordingly, we are of the view that he is currently unfit to be associated with the Brooklyn Nets."

This is the greatest ongoing sabotage of a Super Team ever. Gotta surpass Kobe's rape trial at this point.

benjipwns

« Reply #22894 on: November 11, 2022, 08:46:05 PM »
D'Angelo Russell forgot to go on the court after checking in the other night:

:dead

benjipwns

« Reply #22895 on: November 18, 2022, 10:51:04 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #22897 on: December 02, 2022, 09:41:59 PM »
Zach Lowe pointed this out, at 0:55, Thomas Bryant stops to make sure the scorer recorded his block rather than running back on defense :lol

benjipwns

« Reply #22898 on: December 13, 2022, 10:01:32 PM »
Kornet's average distance from the shooter on those attempts? Just under 12 feet.

How did he decide this was something he was going to do? In Kornet's case, it was about solving his own math problem.

How does a 7-foot-2, 250-pound, slow-footed center get from the rim to the 3-point line to contest a shot?

Easy: He doesn't.

:hmm

benjipwns

« Reply #22899 on: January 03, 2023, 06:31:18 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #22900 on: January 24, 2023, 11:58:14 PM »
 :nsfw

rest in power, PatBev (1988-2023) shot down in his prime

benjipwns

« Reply #22901 on: January 29, 2023, 06:38:32 PM »

benjipwns

benjipwns

« Reply #22903 on: February 08, 2023, 12:28:19 AM »
I think having LeBron behead Kareem in front of the entire arena and on national TV to celebrate achieving the scoring record was a bit harsh and unnecessary but I guess that's new custom in the Reign of King James.

benjipwns

« Reply #22904 on: February 09, 2023, 12:30:10 AM »
"You fucking idiots are supposed to be tanking! Do I have to do everything around here?!? :rage" - Danny Ainge

Beezy

« Reply #22905 on: February 09, 2023, 01:24:35 AM »

benjipwns

« Reply #22906 on: February 09, 2023, 01:28:32 AM »

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #22907 on: February 09, 2023, 10:13:03 AM »
in theory, could the lakers resign westbrook if he gets bought out by the jazz? :phil
(ice)

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #22908 on: February 09, 2023, 01:11:14 PM »
As a drama fan:  :rejoice

As a Kings fan:  :noooo

benjipwns

« Reply #22909 on: February 09, 2023, 03:03:53 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #22910 on: February 09, 2023, 06:10:51 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #22911 on: February 17, 2023, 09:54:14 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #22912 on: March 11, 2023, 12:43:22 AM »
This fucking guy. :lol

Beezy

« Reply #22913 on: March 13, 2023, 01:15:51 PM »
Great pass, but his foot was out of bounds

benjipwns

« Reply #22914 on: March 25, 2023, 12:52:31 PM »
Look at Desmond Bane screwing up this spacing by standing on this side of the half court line smh:

benjipwns

« Reply #22915 on: April 01, 2023, 10:20:30 PM »
The NBA and National Basketball Players Association have reached agreement on a new seven-year collective bargaining agreement, promising labor peace through the rest of the decade, sources told ESPN early Saturday morning.

The tentative deal, which starts with the 2023-24 season, was announced by the league and union and is expected to be ratified by league governors and players in the coming weeks. The deal includes a mutual opt-out after the sixth year, sources told ESPN.

Among the key elements of the deal described to ESPN:

The NBA is curbing the ability of the highest-spending teams, such as the Golden State Warriors and the LA Clippers, to continue running up salary and luxury tax spending while still maintaining mechanisms to add talent to the roster. The league is implementing a second salary cap apron -- $17.5 million over the tax line -- and those teams will lose several key team building mechanisms, including the taxpayer mid-level exception, utilizing cash in trades, moving first-round picks in drafts that are seven years away, signing free agent players in the buyout market and taking on more money than is being sent out in trades, sources said.

In an attempt to curb load management and lost games among star players, the NBA is tying eligibility for postseason awards -- such as All-NBA teams and MVP -- to a mandatory 65 games played. The 65-game minimum does come with some conditions.

The in-season tournament could arrive as soon as the 2023-24 season. The event will include pool-play games baked into the regular-season schedule starting in November -- with eight teams advancing to a single-elimination tournament in December. The Final Four will be held at a neutral site, with Las Vegas prominent in the discussion, sources said.

The NBA and NBPA have agreed to increase the upper limits on extensions from a 120% increase on a current deal to 140%, which could have a significant impact on the futures of stars like Celtics forward Jaylen Brown.

There is an increase in two-way contract slots, jumping from two to three per team. Two-way contracts were created in the 2017 collective bargaining agreement as a vehicle for teams to develop younger players. It has been seen as a success, as it's become a route to players earning long-term homes in the league, and in several cases becoming major contributors.
:american Adam Silver does what David Stern don't. :american

benjipwns

benjipwns

« Reply #22917 on: May 11, 2023, 10:39:17 PM »
ESPN NBA analyst Mark Jackson apologized Thursday for saying he mistakenly left Denver Nuggets superstar Nikola Jokic off his MVP voter ballot.

Philadelphia's Joel Embiid won MVP with Jokic finishing second. Jokic, who won back-to-back MVP awards the previous two seasons, finished with 15 first-place votes, 52 second-place votes and 32 third-place votes for a total of 99 votes out of 100 ballots.

The NBA released the MVP voter selections on Thursday and Jackson's ballot had Embiid first, Milwaukee's Giannis Antetokounmpo second, Boston's Jayson Tatum third, Oklahoma City's Shai Gilgeous-Alexander fourth and Cleveland's Donovan Mitchell fifth.

"One thing I live by, you make a mistake, you own it," Jackson said in an interview with SiriusXM NBA Radio's Justin Termine and Eddie Johnson. "Absolute mistake made by me... In thinking how did I make that mistake: you can tell I put one center, two forwards and two guards. So I wasn't even thinking.
TRUMP WAS RIGHT ABOUT OUR ELECTIONS

benjipwns

« Reply #22918 on: May 12, 2023, 10:33:19 PM »
This guy not hear that someone else is MVP now?

benjipwns

« Reply #22919 on: May 13, 2023, 01:35:21 AM »