Author Topic: Post about your favorite fighting game of all time, 2D or 3D  (Read 4925 times)

Mondain

• no bias

Of all the fighting games I've tried, I find none to be any better than Garou: Mark of the Wolves on Neo-Geo. There's a PS2 port available only in Japan. The game just never stops being entertaining and challenging no matter how many hours one puts into it. Characters are funny and varied. Animation is of good quality and pushes the jurassic Neo-Geo hardware to its limits. My favorite character is Hotaru, and her fighting style is oddly similar to the one played by Ling Xiaoyou in the Tekken series.

When it comes to 3D, the one I like the best is Virtua Fighter 2. Even if technically, Virtua Fighter 4 is more accomplished, I guess that the old-school charm of this Model 2 fighter makes it more attractive. Probably the game in which I've invested the highest amount of time ever.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Re: Post about your favorite fighting game of all time, 2D or 3D
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 06:57:10 PM »
The answer is simple -- Marvel vs Capcom 2!

Don't drag some shitty second-rate Capcom fighter into this, MAF.
PSP

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 06:59:00 PM »
Street Fighter 2.  Too obvious.

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006, 07:00:52 PM »
umm god, lets see.

Virtua Fighter 4 Evo is my favorite 3D fighter because I love technical fighting. When I need the wizzbang over the top bullshit only 2D fighters can provide I usually turn to Guilty Gear XX Reload on Xbox.

I played a lot of garou back in the day tho... Didnt like the dreamcast version tho cause it streamed voice samples so it ran my DC ragged.
o_0

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2006, 07:02:19 PM »
Marvel Vs Capcom 2/ Guilty Gears XX Slash  ;D
萌え~

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2006, 07:03:42 PM »
Virtua Fighter 4 Evo, hands down. For 2D, I'm gonna mimic MAF and go with Guilty Gear XX#Reload or Vampire Savior.
duc

Mondain

• no bias
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2006, 07:05:21 PM »
Well I love Marvel VS Capcom 2, but at the end of the day I don't know, I find it too chaotic for it to have the chance of being the best 2D fighter ever. I also don't like the change to a four-button fighting system instead of six like other Capcom fighters have.

And VF4 is bound to be rendered totally obsolete when this is released anyway... :)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 07:06:54 PM by Mondain »

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2006, 07:17:18 PM »
As VF2 was rendered obsolete when VF4 was?
duc

Mondain

• no bias
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2006, 07:24:46 PM »
Uh, in my case it's because I like VF2 for its noltalgic charm, and then I accompany that with the most accomplished Virtua Fighter game yet technically. :D

turbos

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2006, 07:26:59 PM »

The reason I bought my Dreamcast, back in the day.

:memories:

Mondain

• no bias
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2006, 11:34:32 PM »
I've never found Powerstone games to be _that_ good

however from my hazy Dreamcast launch day memories, the original is superior to the sequel...

Error Macro

• Has Raimi-itis!
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2006, 11:45:54 PM »
Street Fighter 2 Turbo.

SNES version is great because it's really Championship Edition + Turbo (or Turbo Plus because of the 10 star code)
sig

theetrin

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2006, 11:50:44 PM »
Virtua Fighter 5, motherfuckers! Now that's a classy game. I can't stop playing that shit. I may go to Osaka today just to pump a few quarters in.

Also, I concur with the opening post. Garou owns faces for breakfast.

Mondain

• no bias
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2006, 11:54:46 PM »
aaaaaarrrggghhh lucky guy, I got to wait until Sega releases the damn thing in march/april on PS3 to play it *cries*

etiolate

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2006, 11:57:35 PM »
2d: Guilty Gears XX-whatever
3d: Soul Calibur 2, but i Haven't played 3 yet.

Nick

VKkZtJqModfB
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2006, 11:58:05 PM »
Hw4EqZ  <a href="http://vixvsaiufsjr.com/">vixvsaiufsjr</a>, iygonrbegndf, [link=http://ytsyibstgusy.com/]ytsyibstgusy[/link], http://eqzlmwzdsohn.com/
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 04:56:21 AM by Nick »

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2006, 11:58:15 PM »
I honestly think 3 is the proper sequel to the first Soul Calibur
o_0

Mondain

• no bias
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2006, 12:01:29 AM »
at the risk of receiving flames, I always found Soul Calibur to be terribly overrated

hadn't it been an awesome-looking Dreamcast launch game that got a lot of hype, I wonder if it would still be remembered fondly today

always found the weapon-fighting system it had to be fairly pedestrian and pretty boring really

etiolate

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2006, 12:06:13 AM »
SC is the only 3d fighter I can stomach. I never liked the majority of 3d fighters, they all felt like dumbed down 2d fighters. Which they were at the start, though VF has evolved from that.  SC just felt different though for its flow and weapons, with the horizontol and vertical plane for movement and attacks it took away the dumbed down 2d feel for me.

Smegma Sandwich

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2006, 12:17:37 AM »

The pinnacle of 2D fighting imho. Plenty of SNK fighters rank pretty close to this one but I prefer the Street Fighter characters.

The most underrated fighting series around (EX, EX2, EX3) as far as I am concerned. Incredibly deep gameplay, fluid controls. Only negative is the asstastic visuals.

Error Macro

• Has Raimi-itis!
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2006, 12:19:24 AM »
You know what's disgusting is that I bought SFA3 a couple of years ago. And it's still unopened.

I think I'd have to get a DC stick though; the standard controller just rapes my hands trying to play fighting games.
sig

Mondain

• no bias
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2006, 12:20:55 AM »

absolutely essential material for any Street Fighter fan  ;D

Error Macro

• Has Raimi-itis!
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2006, 12:22:59 AM »
Is that PS2 only? I might buy one for that game.

Also, I still don't have the SF Collection for Xbox. I'm a bad fan.
sig

Mondain

• no bias
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2006, 12:24:25 AM »
yeah PS2 only, and there'll most probably never be an Xbox release as Microsoft stopped supporting the original Xbox altogether

Nick

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2006, 12:25:41 AM »
Soul Calibur was a great fighter.  I found it interesting how the popularity of the game skyrocketed when it was released on consoles.  Something that doesn't happen too often in the fighting scene.

Soul Calibur 2 was the opus of the series.  The visuals were fluid, the fighting balanced and had an overall great soundtrack.  Fun fact: I was #5 in the world for Time Attack Extreme with Ivy.   I was the only American in the Top 5.   :-*

Soul Calibur 3 is a horrible, horrible game and I am ashamed to have bought it.  The gameplay is completely broken and it's really just a re-imagination of the original, which isn't necessary... BECAUSE WE ALREADY HAVE THAT GAME.  I hated this.  Worst game of last year.

theetrin

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2006, 12:27:14 AM »
Anyone who considers Alpha 3 better than 3rd Strike is flat out wrong and/or stupid.

Error Macro

• Has Raimi-itis!
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2006, 12:29:32 AM »
yeah PS2 only, and there'll most probably never be an Xbox release as Microsoft stopped supporting the original Xbox altogether

Yeah, that's really stupid. I'm pretty sure they only reason they did that is because the Xbox still had life left in it... I know I'd rather buy Xbox games than a $400 360 + $60 games that really aren't that great (played my friend's system and games).
sig

morphix

• Let's make a deal
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2006, 12:30:37 AM »
3d- Fighting Vipers

2d- Samurai Showdown 2
BUN

Mondain

• no bias
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2006, 12:32:31 AM »

Yeah, that's really stupid. I'm pretty sure they only reason they did that is because the Xbox still had life left in it... I know I'd rather buy Xbox games than a $400 360 + $60 games that really aren't that great (played my friend's system and games).

they did it because they wanted as much of that precious limited retail space as possible for their new toy, and because since of their contracts with NVIDIA and Intel they couldn't lower the price of components any more to offer the system at discount. I guess that it's what you get when you build a console that's more like a proprietary PC with off the shelf parts.

Nick

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2006, 12:32:41 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

I can't get over how amazing the textures are in this game.

Smegma Sandwich

« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2006, 12:34:16 AM »
Anyone who considers 3rd Strike better than Alpha 3 is flat out wrong and/or stupid.