Author Topic: sengoku basara 3 is a relic  (Read 3015 times)

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
sengoku basara 3 is a relic
« on: October 16, 2010, 02:15:36 PM »
man, this is so inferior to warriors orochi 2 and dynasty warriors 6 empires it isn't even funny! you japafags sold me some serious florida property, here. this is like playing some 2004-era hybrid of dw4 and sw2, with smaller maps, lamer events, and no strategifyin' to speak of. it's only "strength" is the distinguished mentally-challenged weeaboo humor. how can capcom not make a better musou than koei? this is some third-string shinola, folks.
duc

Bebpo

Re: sengoku basara 3 is a relic
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 02:27:58 PM »
Yeah, I dunno.  It adds stuff to the genre like more moves and more objectives and better art.  But at the same time it's just as repetitive and dull and lacks any strategic element that the Koei games have at the macro-level.

But it does have SUPER AWESOME JAPANESE VOICES ...that are missing in the US version ;_;

I played more of Basara 2 than I did any SW/DW game.  A lot of that was because I liked the characters and stories since it was so over the top and hilarious.  If the US version wasn't stupid and had JPN voice option I'd pick it up for that price.

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 02:59:41 PM »
i tought this was supposed to be good ???
<----

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 03:19:18 PM »
Basara gets held in such high regard because Musou (unfairly) gets held in such low regard.  It's an image thing.
🍆🍆

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 03:44:48 PM »
the improved movesets are nice, but the combat isn't actually any better, and the camera seems a bit worse. basara's maps are like the worst of the gimmicky samurai warriors maps. i'd say basara's strength is the animation and the visual variety of the enemies, but in the end they are just fodder to slow you down like any musou game. the best musou titles like orochi and empires have whole map control and event management metagames that basara, so far, does not, and that really just throws the shallow beat-em-up mechanics into stark relief, like i'm playing vanilla dw3 or dw4 -- and even those had much bigger maps and time management components. the challenge in sb3 seems to lie in the boss battles and uncovering the full set of "secrets" (usually blatantly obvious) events that maximize your mission xp gain.

really, any reviewer -- and i'm looking at you, ray barnholdt, you fat fop -- that holds the basara games in esteem while pissing on musou titles is distinguished mentally-challenged. i can understand a mild preference for basara because yer a full-on animu cigarillo, or a massive musou preference because you've invested in the endless ea-esque releases and variants, but to VASTLY prefer basara over musou? getdafugouddahere.

maf nailed it when he said that the folks with the big basara preference are importers who smugly delighted in gasping "oh, you like musou games? well, it's a shame you haven't played the much-better basara games from NIPPON. i have and they are SOOOO AMAZING." :smug :smug :smug and now these pithy pale things are being called to the motherfuckin carpet hey ho
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 11:05:35 PM by Van Cruncheon »
duc

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 03:54:13 PM »
i dunno on the voices, i think the american va work is decent. i like tsuruhime's end quote -- she does some distinguished mentally-challenged chirpy loli dance, and then says "i dunno, i didn't get a whole lot of sleep last night" in this kinda depressed voice. for some reason, that made me lol. maybe my anifag gene is firing.
duc

Bebpo

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 04:57:25 PM »
Yeah, from the demo the voice work is fine, it's just that the Japanese track is full of dudes shouting phrases that make no sense in engrish like PUT YOUR GUNS ON which is always extra entertaining.

What gets me is that Basara is almost want I want.

What I want is a musou type game that controls and has combo depth to the level of Devil May Cry.  Basically DMC without level design and just hundreds of enemies to beat down while conquering a map and getting loot.  To me the closest game that did this was Chaos Legion.  It had solid combat with a moderately deep combo system, plethora of moves, and tons of enemies.  But it didn't have the loot/map system of a musou game.

I don't get why Basara is satisfied with having so-so combat.  You get like 6-8 moves that you can string together (though you can only use 2 at a time in Basara 2 and 3 or 4 at a time here) and so you can pull off a few varied combos but that's it.  You just keep doing them over and over on fodder.  Plus the moves are just WRONG.  If you're going to make DMC or NG combat you need the animations to be short so you can link things and have smooth combat.  Basara says "we don't want good combat, so instead we'll make big flashy animations for each attack" but that just means more sitting and watching the same attack animations over and over and it's dull.

And yeah the camera was terrible in the demo.  I dunno why it's so difficult to make a decent camera in a 3d action game.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 05:33:40 PM »
My favorite games in this genre are Basara 2+Heroes, Basara 3, Warriors Orochi 1+2, Hokuto Musou, and Samurai Warriors 3 (it pretty much just replaces 2 for me).  Just want to show where I am coming from on this.

man, this is so inferior to warriors orochi 2 and dynasty warriors 6 empires it isn't even funny! you japafags sold me some serious florida property, here. this is like playing some 2004-era hybrid of dw4 and sw2, with smaller maps, lamer events, and no strategifyin' to speak of. it's only "strength" is the distinguished mentally-challenged weeaboo humor. how can capcom not make a better musou than koei? this is some third-string shinola, folks.

You didn't know that there was basically no strategy-stuff from the start?  Basara isn't like Koei's games in that regard, and is more about just straight-up action.  It's a more linear game for sure.  To me it makes up for this with a better assortment of enemies, crazier bosses, and over-the-top style.  I also find it more challenging than most musou games ***on the higher difficulty setting***.  If you are not playing this game on hard or extreme, it is way, way, way too easy.

Prole, you might like Fist Of The North Star Ken's Rage a lot more than Basara 3.  It is a little different than other Koei musous, but does keep some of that strategic feel with the optional challenges that pop up in every level of the story mode, plus there is the Illusion Mode, which is exactly like a traditional Musou-style game, pitting armies against each other. 

But for anyone who plays that, do keep in mind that Kenshiro is kind of slow and stiff.  This was done on purpose, as odd as that sounds.  That is how they wanted him to play.  The other characters are more fun to use because of this, IMO, and some of them play COMPLETELY differently from each other, not just in attack style but in how they control and what the buttons do.

I played more of Basara 2 than I did any SW/DW game.  A lot of that was because I liked the characters and stories since it was so over the top and hilarious.  If the US version wasn't stupid and had JPN voice option I'd pick it up for that price.

I played SB2/Heroes and the Warriors Orochi games about equally, I think.  Sometimes I just want to beat the shit out of enemies, and that's what these games do a good job of.  Koei games sometimes annoy me with their "strategic elements," which is more like "RUSH TO THIS SIDE OF THE SCREEN!  NOW RUSH OVER HERE!  OH DID YOU MISS THIS EVENT OVER HERE?!  NO WEAPON/CHARACTER UNLOCK 4 U!"  I found the Warriors Orochi games challenging enough on the higher levels, since you take more damage than usual, even from normal enemies.  Those games were a lot of fun, but TBH on most of the versions I played, I used hacked saves or codes to start the game off with all the characters unlocked. 

I hate how you have to do all this shit just to get one character playable.  With some of the recent games, the developers have thankfully changed their tune-- in Samurai Warriors 3, you earn credits to unlock characters as you progress.  You can unlock anyone you want to in any order, no bullshit.  Basara 3 unlocks characters each time you clear someone's story mode once.  Nobunaga is the only character with whom more stuff needs to be done with.  He's supposed to be a "hidden" character, so fine.  And in Hokuto Musou, you'll get people to use by clearing the story modes/illusion modes.  I actually got some characters unlocked when I bought some of the DLC, so it was even quicker.

Basara gets held in such high regard because Musou (unfairly) gets held in such low regard.  It's an image thing.

Nah.  It's because Capcom took a different approach to Koei's tired formula and people enjoyed what they did.  That's it.

the improved movesets are nice, but the combat isn't actually any better, and the camera seems a bit worse.

The camera is about the same in these games, I.E. not that great.   :lol  But I can understand them not having lock-on mechanics since there's usually too many enemies on-screen.  You just have to get accustomed to snapping the camera back behind you with the guard button.

basara's maps are like the worst of the gimmicky samurai warriors maps. i'd say basara's strength is the animation and the visual variety of the enemies, but in the end they are just fodder to slow you down like any musou game. the best musou titles like orochi and empires have whole map control and event management metagames that basara, so far, does not, and that really just throws the shallow beat-em-up mechanics into stark relief, like i'm playing vanilla dw3 or dw4 -- and even those had much bigger maps and time management components. the callenge in sb3 seems to lie in the boss battles and uncovering the full set of "secrets" (usually blatantly obvious) events that maximize your mission xp gain.

Yes, no question that Basara is more akin to a traditional beat-em-up in comparison.  And I like that.  I like that there are more stage hazards and other things going on as well.  Basara is definitely not a game about strategy and time management. 

really, any reviewer -- and i'm looking at you, ray barnholdt, you fat fop -- that holds the basara games in esteem while pissing on musou titles is distinguished mentally-challenged.

Absolutely.  That is ridiculous.  Who said that...was it in the 1up review?

i can understand a mild preference for basara because yer a full-on animu cigarillo, or a massive musou preference because you've invested in the endless ea-esque releases and variants, but to VASTLY prefer basara over musou? getdafugouddahere.

You can say that, but at the same time, to VASTLY prefer Musou over Basara?  U GETDAFUKOUTTAHEEYA.   :P

maf nailed it when he said that the folks with the big basara preference are importers who smugly delighted in gasping "oh, you like musou games? well, it's a shame you haven't played the much-better basara games from NIPPON. i have and they are SOOOO AMAZING." :smug :smug :smug and now these pithy pale things are being called to the motherfuckin carpet hey ho

Did MAF forget that the Musou games also come from the glorious empire of NIPPON as well?   :lol

Do smug-import bastards even exist anymore in this day and age?  Basara 3 hit Japan only a few months before the U.S. version did, BTW.

i dunno on the voices, i think the american va work is decent. i like tsuruhime's end quote -- she does some distinguished mentally-challenged chirpy loli dance, and then says "i dunno, i didn't get a whole lot of sleep last night" in this kinda depressed voice. for some reason, that made me lol. maybe my anifag gene is firing.

My only experience with the English voices were from the demo.  I didn't think they were bad...I just didn't think that they fit.  They sounded out of place, and certain voices like Date Masamune's just can't be replaced due to the sheer LOL of it all.

What I want is a musou type game that controls and has combo depth to the level of Devil May Cry.  Basically DMC without level design and just hundreds of enemies to beat down while conquering a map and getting loot.  To me the closest game that did this was Chaos Legion.  It had solid combat with a moderately deep combo system, plethora of moves, and tons of enemies.  But it didn't have the loot/map system of a musou game.

I don't get why Basara is satisfied with having so-so combat.  You get like 6-8 moves that you can string together (though you can only use 2 at a time in Basara 2 and 3 or 4 at a time here) and so you can pull off a few varied combos but that's it.  You just keep doing them over and over on fodder.  Plus the moves are just WRONG.  If you're going to make DMC or NG combat you need the animations to be short so you can link things and have smooth combat.  Basara says "we don't want good combat, so instead we'll make big flashy animations for each attack" but that just means more sitting and watching the same attack animations over and over and it's dull.

And yeah the camera was terrible in the demo.  I dunno why it's so difficult to make a decent camera in a 3d action game.

This a total re-tread, but no Bebpo.  NO.  Chaos Legion was total shit.  Complete garbage.  Basara is infinity times better.

And Basara games still feel "deeper" than most of the Koi games do, for if no other reason than that the characters have both the combo strings AND special moves they can do.  The characters also feel more varied compared to the ones in Koei games.

Out of who I have used in Basara 3, Magoichi and Fuuma Kotarou have been the most interesting.  Magoichi can switch between several different guns and Fuuma is just all over the place; super-fast and with crazy combos.  You can do launchers/air combos with him, and he's got a nice counter-move that can be earned. 

ENGRISH aside, I found Date Masamune pretty average in this game.  Same with Yukimura.  There are better characters than them.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 06:38:48 PM by Good Day Sir »
ど助平

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010, 06:10:30 PM »
[youtube=560,345]QfmijD2XaqM[/youtube]

No Engrish, no good.

you see?

MoxManiac

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2010, 07:22:49 PM »
:bow SW3 Kanbei Kuroda :bow2

:piss SB3 Kanbei Kuroda :piss2
no

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2010, 08:57:13 PM »
I don't want strategy in my crazy over the top beat em ups. I just want crazy over the top beat em ups where I do nothing but beat people up.
野球

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2010, 09:05:15 PM »
I don't want strategy in my crazy over the top beat em ups. I just want crazy over the top beat em ups where I do nothing but beat people up.

Yep, that's why I don't bother with the Empire games. Vanilla Musou and Xtreme Legends only for me, thx.
BiSH

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2010, 09:06:51 PM »
I can't stand ROT3K or feudal states musou games. Give me licensed craziness or give me Basara.
野球

Junpei the Tracer!

• I started with Nightbright and ended with Comics
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2010, 10:02:57 PM »
Have a Party is the best line ever.
Boo

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2010, 11:03:51 PM »
wow, samurai warriors 3 really poops all over this, although WHY IS IT 30 FPS, GOD THE WII SUCKS
duc

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2010, 11:15:33 PM »
Prole, who did you try in Basara 3?  Maybe you got one the blander characters?

Yep, that's why I don't bother with the Empire games. Vanilla Musou and Xtreme Legends only for me, thx.

Ditto, and different strokes for different folks and all that.  What Mr. Gundam said is exactly the reason why I prefer Basara to most Koei titles.

And I think you two would really like Hokuto Musou, since it leans more towards the beat-em-up route.  (Mr. Gundam, I can't remember if you already got the import)

wow, samurai warriors 3 really poops all over this,

B-b-b-b-b-b-but IGN gave it a 3.0 and said it sucked!   :lol

although WHY IS IT 30 FPS, GOD THE WII SUCKS

:'(

At least it's easy to get used to quickly enough.  And hey, LOOK CAPCOM, BOTH LANGUAGES ARE SELECTABLE!   :o 

It's really too bad that the online multiplayer is limited to Murasame Castle mode, but I think SW3 has some nice little improvements over 3 (LOVE that you can carry items with you into battle right from the start) and while no huge leap over any other Musou, it's a solid title.  I do wish that the (fake) rumor of the game getting a PS3 had turned out to be true, but oh well.

If anyone does want to go the import-only route on one of these games, I would recommend Musou Orochi Z for the PS3.  It's got Warriors Orochi 1 and 2 on the same disc, plus the extra characters/dream levels that Koei ended up adding into the American PSP port of WO2.  It also has more enemies on screen than other games and a slightly harder difficulty, or at least it seems that way.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 11:18:21 PM by Good Day Sir »
ど助平

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2010, 12:25:13 AM »
i beat it with ieyasu and tsuruhime on normal, and have done five missions with mitsunari

ieyasu is pretty fun and i definitely prefer the basara incarnation to his fatass form in musou, but tsuruhime was wretched and mitsunari is just bland

i can't figure why koei passed on localizing orochi z, especially when they brought over the strike force musou turds. orochi z has all the voices and localization 90% ready for it!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 12:28:08 AM by Van Cruncheon »
duc

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2010, 12:33:40 AM »
i beat it with ieyasu and tsuruhime on normal, and have done five missions with mitsunari

ieyasu is pretty fun and i definitely prefer the basara incarnation to his fatass form in musou, but tsuruhime was wretched and mitsunari is just bland

Definitely give some other characters a try if you still have the game.  I haven't used Tokugawa yet (and so not Tsuruhime either) as I played with a few characters a few times then stopped for a bit.  I never cared about Magoichi in the Koei games but he (now a she in this game) was so much to use.  I love that she switches guns based on what moves you do, so you can combo in different guns with ease.

i can't figure why koei passed on localizing orochi z, especially when they brought over the strike force musou turds. orochi z has all the voices and localization 90% ready for it!

Strike Force was a real let down.  I was really looking forward to it, but it just plays too weird.  If they would just make a Musou game with 4P co-op and a shit-ton of loot to collect on the battlefields, I'd be all over it.
ど助平

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2010, 12:42:42 AM »
i tried magoichi and didn't like her, plus she looks like kristin stewart. she's better than tsuruhime, though, who i only beat the game with because i wanted to see if unlocked characters unlocked other yet characters, or if i could just get all the characters with the stock cast. i wanna try the dude with the iron ball, and of course kenshin when i unlock his weird ass grandma cheeseburger self.
duc

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2010, 12:44:26 AM »
i do like the histrionic english va work for mitsunari and sanada, though. the actors really got their freak out goin'! :lol
duc

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2010, 01:53:09 AM »
i tried magoichi and didn't like her, plus she looks like kristin stewart. she's better than tsuruhime, though, who i only beat the game with because i wanted to see if unlocked characters unlocked other yet characters, or if i could just get all the characters with the stock cast. i wanna try the dude with the iron ball, and of course kenshin when i unlock his weird ass grandma cheeseburger self.

Go for Oichi and Fuuma Kotarou.  Those are the best two of the unlockable characters I have gotten so far.  I am currently using Oichi and doing the path to get Nobunaga unlocked...you need to get her unlocked and then clear it once with her, then again going a specific route) and finally go a new route that is unlocked (with anyone) to reach his stage and unlock him for play. 

Also you have to at least clear the first stage to see how a character really plays.  They are all kinda gimped on their first level.
ど助平

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2010, 02:15:38 AM »
Pummeling waves of dudes over and over and over >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> strategy.

And I think you two would really like Hokuto Musou, since it leans more towards the beat-em-up route.  (Mr. Gundam, I can't remember if you already got the import)

I bought Hokuto Musou while on vacation in Japan this past April. Fun game, but a lot slower than I thought it would be for some reason.
野球

Bebpo

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2010, 02:24:51 PM »
Pummeling waves of dudes over and over and over >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> strategy.

Yeah but in the Koei games you pummel waves of dudes over and over as well as having a strategy game play out on a higher level.  It just adds a little more depth, which is needed because the beat'em up aspects of these games (and basara too) is so shallow and non-challenging outside bosses.

Gundam Musou is a good example.  You don't think it's made better by capturing areas in a way to choke out their remaining areas so your support mechs can take care of grunts and make bosses easier to handle?  Without the zone capturing I'd find GM pretty boring.

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2010, 02:31:19 PM »
I think we play these for different reasons. I just want to beat stuff up, I tolerate the strategic aspects since it has Gundamu.
野球

cool breeze

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2010, 03:01:04 PM »
The last musou game I really put a lot of time in was Gundam Musou 1.  The demo for Sengoku Basara 3 felt a lot like that and is why I'll buy it eventually.

My reasons for playing are similar to Mr. Gundam's.  I enjoy lounging around and fighting swarms of enemies.  It's very relaxing.

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2010, 03:11:03 PM »
Hokuto Musou has no strategy, it's perfect for me.
野球

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2010, 04:15:06 PM »

But it does have some strategy in the Illusion mode and in some of the optional challenges in the story mode.

Yeah but in the Koei games you pummel waves of dudes over and over as well as having a strategy game play out on a higher level.  It just adds a little more depth, which is needed because the beat'em up aspects of these games (and basara too) is so shallow and non-challenging outside bosses.

You can go crazy with combos if you want to in Basara.  If all you played was the demo of SB3, Bepbo, that is not enough.  It doesn't even show how they are after gaining a few levels when the first stage is over.

And again in my wall o' text that nobody responded to ( :'(), to me most of the "strategy" in Koei games is "RUSH TO THIS SIDE OF THE SCREEN!  NOW RUSH OVER HERE!  OH DID YOU MISS THIS EVENT OVER HERE?!  NO WEAPON/CHARACTER UNLOCK 4 U!"   :P
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2010, 04:23:58 PM »
Lyte, do you play Dead Rising?

It works exactly like the clock in Dead Rising.  By giving you a sense of urgency to rush from one place to another while beating down hordes you get a feeling of challenge and then satisfaction when you beat that challenge. 

Musou without urgency is the same as DR without the clock...boring as the main gameplay of cutting down a bunch of non-threatening enemies is pretty dull.

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2010, 04:50:00 PM »
just watched the video, and it looks quite ... wait it has aerial horseback moves??   :o
QED

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2010, 06:32:48 PM »
45,000+ hit combo  :lol

[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

Lyte, do you play Dead Rising?

It works exactly like the clock in Dead Rising.  By giving you a sense of urgency to rush from one place to another while beating down hordes you get a feeling of challenge and then satisfaction when you beat that challenge. 

Dead Rising is a different type of game though, and there are plenty of people who complain about the clock and save system.

Musou without urgency is the same as DR without the clock...boring as the main gameplay of cutting down a bunch of non-threatening enemies is pretty dull.

Play on hard (or better yet, extreme) then.  I don't understand why people say these games are too easy when they're not playing the harder difficulty settings.  In Basara, the harder the difficulty level, the more enemies there on the stages, BTW.

Once again I ask: Did you play Basara 3 or just the demo?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 06:38:27 PM by Good Day Sir »
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2010, 06:52:44 PM »
I played the demo and a couple dozen hours of Basara 2 which is essentially the same game with more characters and less moves.

Bebpo

« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2010, 06:55:05 PM »
And changing the difficulty doesn't make a difference with grunts.  You will never play Basara or Musou or Dead Rising and look for enemy patterns in the grunt horde to dodge them and counter like you would if you were playing DMC/NG/Bayo.  You just chop chop chop because all they are is fodder.

And with bosses in musou games you just dodge generic attack and counter, repeat until you grind them down.  None of the generals or whatever in these games have the depth of bosses in DMC/NG/Bayo.

The gameplay is very, very shallow in the genre and the reason why it gets 5s across the board game after game.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2010, 07:08:06 PM »

But it does have some strategy in the Illusion mode and in some of the optional challenges in the story mode.

You can go crazy with combos if you want to in Basara.  If all you played was the demo of SB3, Bepbo, that is not enough.  It doesn't even show how they are after gaining a few levels when the first stage is over.

And again in my wall o' text that nobody responded to ( :'(), to me most of the "strategy" in Koei games is "RUSH TO THIS SIDE OF THE SCREEN!  NOW RUSH OVER HERE!  OH DID YOU MISS THIS EVENT OVER HERE?!  NO WEAPON/CHARACTER UNLOCK 4 U!"   :P

there is also the need to cap spawn points and protect allies, which is actually a pretty damn engaging metagame. its amazing how much better sw3 is holding my attension than the comparably shallow sb3. the loot and modes are loads more interesting and better in sw3, too
duc

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2010, 07:11:21 PM »
I played the demo and a couple dozen hours of Basara 2 which is essentially the same game with more characters and less moves.

Did you at least play SB2 on the harder difficulty levels?  Because if you didn't this is a pointless discussion.

And changing the difficulty doesn't make a difference with grunts. 

Same question as above.  Play this game on extreme and tell me that.  It is all-around more difficult across the board.  The numbers game is what can make grunts a "threat" and that will become more of a problem on the hard settings.

You will never play Basara or Musou or Dead Rising and look for enemy patterns in the grunt horde to dodge them and counter like you would if you were playing DMC/NG/Bayo.  You just chop chop chop because all they are is fodder.

Dead Rising again?  That has no place here.

And with bosses in musou games you just dodge generic attack and counter, repeat until you grind them down.  None of the generals or whatever in these games have the depth of bosses in DMC/NG/Bayo.

I could say the same thing about DMC/NG/Bayo, LOL.   :lol  Those games are also different.  We're talking musou here.

The gameplay is very, very shallow in the genre and the reason why it gets 5s across the board game after game.

The game play in Basara 3 has been improved from Basara 2.  But that doesn't even matter.  If you look at the low scores these games get, they get trashed for being the same thing over and over again.  It doesn't matter what is added or changed.  They get trashed for this but your typical yearly sports games, which are guilty of the same "problem," do not.  It's distinguished mentally-challenged.  Go read the IGN review of this game and Samurai Warriors 3 and tell me it doesn't come off as a poorly-written review from someone who clearly hates the whole genre. 

I agree that most of these musou games really are too much more of the same, which is why I don't play all of them.  And there is also nothing wrong with a game being "shallow."  You like God Of War, don't you?  That game is very, very shallow in its own genre.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2010, 07:12:40 PM »
there is also the need to cap spawn points and protect allies, which is actually a pretty damn engaging metagame. its amazing how much better sw3 is holding my attension than the comparably shallow sb3. the loot and modes are loads more interesting and better in sw3, too

Yeah, it's clear that the more strategy-oriented slant is much more your thing.

Have you tried the Murasame Castle mode yet?  I bet you'd find it just like Basara.
ど助平

MoxManiac

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2010, 08:53:27 PM »
I played sekigahara in SW3 and a couple generals charged my commander, meanwhile at the same time another general was moving in the south to make one of mine defect to their side. I had to act fast and make quick decisions on what to prioritize before my side got raped  :o
no

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2010, 08:58:01 PM »
yeah, i love those razor's edge decisions in the better musou games -- can el generale retardo hold out long enough for me to complete the next objective or cap some spawn points, or do i panic and rush to his aid
duc

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2010, 08:59:23 PM »
and sw3 is freakin' amazing. for the record, i like sb3 alright if only because ieyasu is a punchin' madman, but sw3 is so freakin' polished for a musou game and the new character additions and historical mode are super-welcome
duc

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2010, 09:01:03 PM »
KOEI PLEASE UP-PORT SW3 TO THE PS3 AND/OR 360 WITH CUTSCENE MODELS AND 60 FPS PLZ OH GOD

(they won't; or if they do, it will be jappa-only :cry :cry :cry)
duc

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2010, 09:17:53 PM »
Trinity Zill O'll Zill osdfjjk demo  >>>> all these games

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2010, 09:32:14 PM »
Is there aerial horse combat in the actual game?
QED

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2010, 09:42:52 PM »
KOEI PLEASE UP-PORT SW3 TO THE PS3 AND/OR 360 WITH CUTSCENE MODELS AND 60 FPS PLZ OH GOD

(they won't; or if they do, it will be jappa-only :cry :cry :cry)

Koei seems determined to keep Samurai Warriors as a Nintendo-only franchise for now.  The forgettable first-person wii-waggle SW game was Wii-only, SW3 is Wii-exclusive (and Murasame Castle is based on an old Famicom game, BTW), and the next Samurai Warriors game is coming out for the 3DS.  I would not be surprised if it's just a SW3 port.

And it's pretty stupid for them to do this...Basara 3 was released on PS3 and Wii.  The PS3 version sold like 4-5 times the amount that the Wii version did, IIRC.

Is there aerial horse combat in the actual game?

Nope.  You don't even ride horses much in Basara.  They can only be found on a few levels.  Fuuma Kotarou will STAND up on top of the horse when he rides one, though.   :lol

and sw3 is freakin' amazing. for the record, i like sb3 alright if only because ieyasu is a punchin' madman, but sw3 is so freakin' polished for a musou game and the new character additions and historical mode are super-welcome

Here, read this for a laugh:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/112/1123939p1.html
Samurai Warriors 3 Review
Yet another mindless entry for the franchise...
September 28, 2010
by Anthony Gallegos

I feel bad for suckering my co-worker into playing Samurai Warriors 3  with me. Until now he'd been spared the drudgery of the various Warriors games, and I was hoping he might enjoy this one for the same reason I'd enjoyed them when they first started coming out in the North America: simple, mindless combat. The problem is that almost nothing has changed about these games over the years. Samurai Warriors 3 is immediately familiar to anyone who's played the previous games and disappointingly dated to newcomers who've never picked up a controller and slogged through this type of boring hack-n-slash "action" game.

Samurai Warriors 3 puts you in control of one of many fantastically re-imagined historical characters from Japan's Warring States (Sengoku) period. Once you select which hero you want to play as, you then work through a number of game modes that either tell part of the story for Japanese unification, tell an idiotic story about demons (Murasame Castle mode), or simply put the player in a level of their choice that they can play for "fun." The modes are different in that they either tell no story or tell vague, poorly written ones with different subject matter, but all the modes boil down to the same core experience.

Every level and mode in Samurai Warriors 3 has pretty much the exact same gameplay the series has been rehashing for years now. Using your ultra-powerful character, you drop into a level full of enemies with almost non-existent A.I., killing hordes of people in an effort to ultimately kill a few hero units. Along the way your characters will level up and you'll unlock various weaponry and armor, but through it all you'll be mashing the same few attack buttons to repeat the same combos over and over, beating your way through enemies with relative impunity. In the last generation of consoles this terrible A.I. was briefly acceptable because it was a spectacle to see so many enemies on screen, but now it's just lazy, uninspired, and not worth the time it takes to play through any of the stages.

Even if you do somehow kid yourself into still thinking you like these games, you'll be disappointed by what you see. Samurai Warriors 3 puts relatively few enemies on screen at any given time. It is downright ugly looking too, with muddy textures and a pretty extreme rate of pop-in that makes it look like enemies are appearing out of thin air. Granted, the overall performance is pretty good and the game experiences very little slow down (even when playing split-screen), but the cost you pay is for an already boring game to have even fewer enemies on screen than what's expected.

If the game was any fun, you'd find a lot of reasons to keep on playing. A large number of characters are unlockable, and you can play through the entire game locally with a friend, or in Murasame Castle mode online (though you can only play missions with someone if you both have progressed up to the point of the selected stage, and you have to re-invite them after each level). So, yeah, there's plenty of game here if you want it. The problem is that you can experience the entirety of what the game has to offer after playing any stage with any character – it's all the same crap repeated ad nauseum.

Closing Comments

It’s telling to me that the biggest question that arises when anyone walks by my desk is, “Why are they still making these?” Everyone seems to be in consensus that these games have been chock full of the same boring gameplay for years now, so the only reason I can imagine they’re still making them is the cold hard cash some group of die-hard fans keeps putting in their hands. Somewhere out there, some of you are giving them money to sell you the same game over and over again. If repetition and mindlessness is what you’re looking for in your life, go do some pushups or eat cupcakes till you’re sick – either would be more satisfying than purchasing and playing Samurai Warriors 3.

IGN Ratings for Samurai Warriors 3 (Wii)

Rating    Description
out of 10    

5.0    Presentation
Even the menus and options of the game are dated. Playing this game makes you feel like you’re playing a retro game. Sadly, you’re not.
3.5    Graphics
This game is ugly even with platform considerations. You may have a lot of guys on screen, but they all largely look like the same ugly dude.
3.0    Sound
The voice acting and music is awful. If you insist on playing this game, I’d recommend doing it with the TV muted.
3.0    Gameplay
While many gameplay formulas stand the test of time, the Warriors one is not among them. This game is so repetitive and mindless that making it just might actually make you dumber.
3.5    Lasting Appeal
Sure, there’s a lot of game here, but why would you want to play this over and over unless you were forced to?

OVERALL

Bad
(out of 10)

ど助平

« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2010, 05:47:13 PM »
Just got home and my copy of SB3 was waiting for me in the mail. Can't wait to beat dudes up!!
野球