Author Topic: Fight Night Champion  (Read 1495 times)

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
Fight Night Champion
« on: November 14, 2010, 12:43:19 PM »
Apparently M rated whatever that means.

[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

cool breeze

Re: Fight Night Champion
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 12:49:32 PM »
from what I've read, it's probably M rated because you start out as a barefist prison fighter (or something like that)

it's trying to bring more of a story into the game so it would be less an average boxing career and more Undisputed or Rocky

Stoney Mason

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 11:46:25 AM »

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 11:50:53 AM »
I love the fight night series. I hate the training sessions though.
©ZH

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 01:07:34 PM »
FNR3 is the only game I've 1000'ed

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 08:47:22 PM »
Apparently M rated whatever that means.

Mike Tyson rape simulator minigame confirmed.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 04:35:53 PM »

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 05:24:31 PM »
I'm in if you start out fighting in a prison shower, if you know what I mean

I do ... but how would that control?

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]
乱学者

Robo

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 05:36:29 PM »
I'm in if you start out fighting in a prison shower, if you know what I mean

I do ... but how would that control?

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

obo

Beezy

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 08:09:47 PM »
 :lol

Stoney Mason

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 12:46:07 PM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2011, 06:40:29 PM »
Apparently the demo will hit Tuesday.

[youtube=560,345]#[/youtube]

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2011, 06:49:48 PM »
Fight Night has by far the best looking models in this gen.  EA should get that dev team to help out with their crappy NBA game. 

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2011, 06:51:38 PM »
Fight Night has by far the best looking models in this gen.  EA should get that dev team to help out with their crappy NBA game. 

It's a bit easier when you have only two models to concentrate on. Its sort of like how a fighting game can spend a lot of detail on those two characters.

The basketball game is moving to Tiburon so the quality should improve on it although I've always preferred 2k's take on football and basketball.

Smooth Groove

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2011, 06:58:42 PM »
Yeah, it's obviously harder to do 10 guys but I can't believe that EA is already doing all they can with current hardware.  EA's basketball games have been so bad this gen that they didn't even dare to release one this year.  NBA Live was my favorite sport series up to the PS2 era but it has been irrelevant since NBA 2K came on the scene.  It's a shame because there are some aspects of NBA Live that I preferred, like fast-breaking. 

Stoney Mason

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2011, 07:12:45 PM »
Way back in the day I loved NBA live back on the genesis. But ever since 2k basketball launched even though live still had a couple of good outings in it, it was always on the decline for me. That "freestyle" phase was a perfect example of how they fell in love with marketing gimmicks instead of creating a good basketball title.

Madden by comparison has always been a relatively solid outing although very vanilla and boring. 

Stoney Mason

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2011, 09:43:31 AM »
Madden by comparison has always been a relatively solid outing although very vanilla and boring. 

I respectfully disagree. I can see that being the opinion of those who are looking for an arcade game and play it as such. Rookie/pro difficulty somewhat facilitates that. But for hardcore football enthusiast, All Madden has the mechanics to be a great game with a ton of re-playability.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 09:53:09 AM by Zero Hero »
©ZH

Stoney Mason

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2011, 11:20:28 AM »

I respectfully disagree. I can see that being the opinion of those who are looking for an arcade game and play it as such. Rookie/pro difficulty somewhat facilitates that. But for hardcore football enthusiast, All Madden has the mechanics to be a great game with a ton of re-playability.

Can't speak to recent years. I haven't played Madden seriously since 2k football went down. What I can say is back then Madden had a reputation for realism and I put up crazy numbers every year I played it. It wasn't so much realistic as slow and sluggish which some people equate with being realistic but I just consider bad control. And since it wasn't realistic back then despite the hype I preferred to play the game that was more fun and gave me more control over the action and actually seemed to try things on a yearly basis.

Like I said this was back when 2k was going. The game (Madden) may have improved in that time as I only tend to play it nowadays on the occasions where I go over to my brothers house and play which is probably 2 or 3 times a year at most. Back in the day I always felt Madden controlled poorly and their presentation was shit. The game controls better now although I still think their presentation is as bland as ever on the rare occasions that I do play.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 11:23:10 AM by Stoney Mason »

Brehvolution

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2011, 01:38:08 PM »
Back on topic, I guess this is the first FN that is mature rated. That piques my interest just a bit more.

Stoney, I didn't think you were approaching Madden like an arcade game. I was just saying that in general terms.
©ZH

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2011, 07:36:02 AM »
What can they add that would make it M-Rated? Nude skins for the ring girls? Groupies?

...Satan and his BBC making a cameo from Dante's Inferno?

cool breeze

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2011, 12:57:43 PM »
I thought the demo was kinda bad and I was a fan of the other games (best were 1 and 4, imo).  Everything feels so dumbed down while being sluggish and faster than before.  The boxing feels so sloppy, and there is no satisfaction to landing or dodging punches.

Smooth Groove

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2011, 01:01:19 PM »
Do you guys play with stick or buttons? 

cool breeze

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2011, 01:06:57 PM »
I played the old games with sticks because it worked better, and while it was less so in Round 4 (after they patched in button support), there is no reason to use the stick in Fight Night Champion.  No analog stick gestures, or used for blocking, or anything.  All it seems to be now is six directions with each correlating to actions on the face buttons.  Unless you're incapable of pressing A and X or Y and B at the same time, buttons are the better option here.

Smooth Groove

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2011, 01:15:21 PM »
That's cool.  I prefer using buttons in sports games because it's more precise. 

Stoney Mason

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2011, 04:36:00 PM »
That's cool.  I prefer using buttons in sports games because it's more precise. 

same.

I tried the demo for a short amount and it seemed somewhat spammy but I didn't check the settings or anything. They generally default sports demos to the most casual settings possible.

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2011, 05:49:58 PM »
I like the look of the hit detection from that demo vid - they actually seem like to bodies interacting in a physical space
___