Author Topic: [XBLA] Strania: The Stella Machina - G.Rev, $10, March 30th  (Read 1123 times)

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
[XBLA] Strania: The Stella Machina - G.Rev, $10, March 30th
« on: February 17, 2011, 04:40:41 AM »
Last year, G.Rev (Border Down, Under Defeat, Senko no Ronde) announced Strania for XBLA. They've just released a new trailer and confirmed it's going to be 800 points:
[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

They've also announced a DLC episode:
Timed with the release of the arcade version, G.Rev is planning on releasing a downloadable expansion for the Xbox Live Arcade version. This is titled "Side Vower" and offers a new story told from the perspective of the enemy Vower Army forces. This means you'll be facing off against the characters and mecha you play as in the main game. Pricing and release time frame for the download content were not announced.

More info, screenshots, and promo art here:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/02/13/grev_shooters/
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/10/28/strania_xla/
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 06:23:07 PM by iconoclast »
BiSH

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
Re: [XBLA] Strania: The Stella Machina - G.Rev, $10, Spring
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 04:50:10 AM »
Are jXBLA games region locked?
◕‿◕

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 05:19:21 AM »
I don't think there have been any XBLA games exclusive to one region (though there are cases like Dead Rising 2 not being released in Japan due to censors and such). This is going to be released worldwide.
BiSH

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 06:02:17 AM »
looks tight

originalz

• Z!?
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 04:32:11 AM »
I'll buy it

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 06:21:53 PM »
Releasing March 30th: http://www.siliconera.com/2011/02/21/g-revs-strania-blasts-off-in-march-with-sword-bearing-mecha/

:bow 2011, the best year for shooters in the past decade?
BiSH

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
Re: [XBLA] Strania: The Stella Machina - G.Rev, $10, March 30th
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 10:46:59 PM »
Cool, I'm lovin' the 2D resurgence that's been happening this gen.
Hi

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 11:25:26 PM »
It's the future, mayne. Seriously I've only felt like playing old school blasters and shit lately, fuck all this next gen AAA shit

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 07:28:12 AM »
This is out. 200 something MB I think.

The demo is two stages long. I like the theme and art of the game, but it was easy and kinda boring to be honest. Fuck it though, I'm gonna buy it anyway.

Oh good, the full game has different difficulties. I hope the demo was locked to easy.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 07:31:06 AM by iconoclast »
BiSH

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 08:36:34 AM »
Update: Game's awesome. Lots of weapons, decent challenge, fun scoring, interesting stages, good graphics. Well worth $10 and way more fun than the demo.

Although I don't fully understand the scoring system. It seems you get bonus points for using different weapons, but uh, the text that's associated with said bonus is entirely in Japanese, so I have no clue what it's saying. What a shitty localization.

The Ikaruga-esque "cutscene" at the start of the first stage is starting to get annoying too. Can't skip it and it goes on for way too long. I do like all of the crazy camera work though. If you're going to make a 2.5D shooter, take advantage of it I say.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 08:50:54 AM by iconoclast »
BiSH

Beezy

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 03:29:25 PM »
buying this later today

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 10:53:36 PM »
XBLA is on fucking fire this year. Two of the best games on the service released within a month of each other: Hard Corps and Strania :bow

On a good run, I should be able to make it to stage 6 without too many mistakes. A 1cc shouldn't be too far off, but I haven't even seen that stage yet so it might be pretty brutal.

#9 on the leaderboards now with 3.4 mil  :D. Made it to the final boss but died quickly since I had no lives left and didn't know what to expect. I'll 1cc this pretty soon, it's not too hard.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 11:52:15 PM by iconoclast »
BiSH

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 01:59:40 AM »
I love how the only way you can post on the leaderboards is if you play the game without continuing/extra health.  A nice, gentle shove away from credit feeding, I like.

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 05:10:33 AM »
Yeah, I like that as well. Also continues default to OFF. Hint hint ;)

Anyway, just 1cc'd Normal mode. Got #1 on the leaderboards with 11 million points. I could improve my score by another 2~ million if I did REALLY well, but fuck it I'm satisfied. Never been #1 on any shooter before. :smug
BiSH

originalz

• Z!?
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 12:24:50 PM »
I'll buy this game when I get back to Japan.

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2011, 10:21:22 AM »
It's a really great game. There are some weird bugs in it though. I was playing co-op today with a friend (superb netcode btw, there's zero lag - and he's from Finland) and he disconnected right at the start of stage 3. He then sends me a message saying he got a disc read error. On an XBLA game. He also told me his game freezes when he checks the leaderboards, but that hasn't happened to me. And sometimes during co-op, the stage 5 boss won't appear. I think we kill him before he spawns by firing random missiles. lol.

Hard mode is pretty fun. It's basically like Normal mode but the bullets are a little faster and some of the patterns are tougher. Still, this is not a bullet hell game. The patterns generally have pretty large gaps for you to fly through. The terrain and stage design play a pretty big role in the game as well. Every stage besides the first one has at least one section where you have to navigate fairly tight spaces and deal with enemies at the same time. Thankfully, touching the walls does not damage you (unless you ram into them for a few seconds), so it's not frustrating like R-Type or something.

Expert mode is tough. Every enemy shoots suicide bullets and the regular patterns have a few more bullets to them. That'll be a tough 1cc for anyone.

Oh, and to get the ending + credits and fight the TLB, you have to play on Hard or Expert. You can't continue while fighting him either, so if you die, game over. He seems tough at first, but once you learn how to fight him properly he's not so bad.

Anyway, game's awesome. My favorite shooter on XBLA (not that there's much competition). I like it more than some retail games too, like Otomedius and Strike Witches.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
and Daifukkatsu
[close]
BiSH

cool breeze

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2011, 01:38:10 AM »
This game is pretty kick ass.  It feels like the type of shooter I like (aleste ones.  still need to try and get into cave ones).

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2011, 11:44:54 AM »
Just got 14.0 million, #4 on the Normal leaderboard. Got all weapons to 1-dan by the end, so I got a fat 9 million bonus. I'd have good Hard and Expert scores too, but the leaderboards are fucked up. They only accepted my first score, it doesn't update any more. Hopefully G.rev fixes all of these little bugs soon, because this game is amazing.

Only need two more achievements too: Weapon Master and Court Marshal. Not sure how to get the Court Marshal one and Weapon Master looks to be a bit of a bitch. Oh well, I'll do it eventually.
BiSH

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2011, 01:13:39 AM »
I've only played the demo, but I liked the music and the "feel" of the game... definitely gonna pick this up next time I have some spare points, nice to see a release at 800, I thought that 1200 was the new hotness...
^_^

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2011, 01:49:21 AM »
Patch notes in case anyone missed it (English translation by adverse on GAF/shmups, I guess): http://www.grev.co.jp/str/update.html

Changes

1 The training mode has been adjusted to allow gamers to select specific areas within a stage.
2 The training mode has been adjusted to allow gamers to select specific areas within a stage.
3 An option to change the screen mode has been added to the Options section of the menu. Support for 4:3 format has been added.
4 The maximum number of armor that can be selected within the Options section has been increased from 5 to 9.
5 The length of the Demo Play video has been shortened to 90 seconds. It previously showed game play through an entire stage.
6 The player's offensive power for physical attacks (actually hitting enemy characters with the mecha) has been reduced by half.
7 The power of the "Bomb" weapon has been slightly weakened, but has been adjusted to include a napalm burst that erases enemy fire upon collision.
8 The "Missle" weapon has been adjusted to shoot a greater number of missles in one burst, the power of each slightly weakened to conform with the higher volume.
9 English translations have been added to the weapon leveling panel (appears when a player increases the level of a given weapon). The translated graphics will appear for all users that do not have their language set to Japanese.
10 The color of the cross that shows the center of a player's collision detection has been changed (from green to orange).
11 Users that play the trial version then immediately purchase the full game will be able to create save data for the portion played in the trial. Upon purchasing the full game, such users will be directed to the Title Screen where save data can be created.
12 The maximum volume that can be selected for sound settings has been reduced from 25 to 15.

Bug Fixes

1 Fixed bug that stopped or froze the game in Stage 6.
2 Fixed bug in which the game freezed when users accessed the leaderboard.
3 Fixed bug in which scores achieved in Hard and Expert difficulty settings were not accurately recorded.
4 Fixed bug in which the boss of Level 5 would not appear during online play over LIVE.
5 Fixed bug in which users were awarded the achievement for clearing the game without continuing despite using one or more continues during online multiplayer.

G.Rev is awesome. This patch is awesome. This game is awesome.

(and I hope they don't reset the leaderboards. I wonder how my score is holding up... hopefully I'm still in the top 5)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 01:51:20 AM by iconoclast »
BiSH

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2011, 10:53:07 PM »
Patch is out. Leaderboards wiped. :(

Now I'll have to try and remember my score path. Damn you Grev.
BiSH

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2011, 04:04:04 PM »
Side Vower DLC is out now as well. Only 400 points and it's basically an entirely new game, with new bosses, music, enemy patterns, etc. And it comes with 3 new achievements apparently. (I haven't bough it yet, but that's what I've read)

What is with XBLA shooters being packed with content. Trouble Witches has more content than most retail shooters, and now Strania is basically two games in 1 for $15. :bow XBLA :bow2
BiSH