Author Topic: GDC stuff  (Read 13089 times)

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
Re: GDC stuff
« Reply #240 on: March 04, 2011, 01:24:54 PM »

Fucking awesome presentation. I uploaded his slides here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcwild/sets/72157626070179461/

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #241 on: March 04, 2011, 01:29:00 PM »
That's...actually really amazing.
dog

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #242 on: March 04, 2011, 01:37:02 PM »

:bow
SRY

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #243 on: March 04, 2011, 04:10:47 PM »
Is there any video of the developer micro-talks or any of the conferences in GDC?
SRY

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #244 on: March 04, 2011, 04:52:22 PM »
Who are you guys talking about? Has he made any cool games?
Drunk

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #245 on: March 04, 2011, 04:53:35 PM »
Who are you guys talking about? Has he made any cool games?

Director of Deadly Premonition.
SRY

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #246 on: March 04, 2011, 05:42:05 PM »
the coolest game
sup

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #247 on: March 04, 2011, 05:47:12 PM »
Wow, Swery's a goddamn genius. :bow
Hi

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #248 on: March 04, 2011, 05:56:47 PM »
Seriously. Now I'm dying to play some DP.
SRY

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #249 on: March 04, 2011, 05:57:59 PM »
I hate it when games don't motivate me to continue playing after I clear a chapter. That's like the most basic shit ever and yet so many developers fail at doing it.

:bow SWERY

I gotta start my 2nd Deadly Premonition run soon.
BiSH

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #250 on: March 04, 2011, 05:59:30 PM »
I hate it when games don't motivate me to continue playing after I clear a chapter. That's like the most basic shit ever and yet so many developers fail at doing it.

This makes going back and playing DMC games really, REALLY hard. Also, what does Swery think of MGS4's 30 minute installation intermissions? :rofl
SRY

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #251 on: March 04, 2011, 06:08:01 PM »
thanks for the NEW AVATAR
乱学者

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #252 on: March 04, 2011, 06:48:59 PM »

This makes going back and playing DMC games really, REALLY hard. Also, what does Swery think of MGS4's 30 minute installation intermissions? :rofl

Dude, at the Q&A someone asked him about what he thinks of Metal Gear. He replied "I liked MGS 2!"

Damian79

« Reply #253 on: March 04, 2011, 07:54:25 PM »
Retro says they would like to revive doki doki panic(AKA SMB2).  Retro does what Nintendont.

http://au.wii.ign.com/articles/115/1153582p1.html

Metroid Prime and Donkey Kong Country Returns developer Retro Studios held a panel discussion at GDC 2011 called "Donkey Kong: Swinging Across Oceans" in which Michael Kelbaugh, Bryan Walker, Kensuke Tanabe, Aaron Walker, Will Bate, Ryan Powell and Chris Volman -- all sporting red Donkey Kong ties -- discussed the development of some of Nintendo's biggest franchises. Here are some highlights from the panel:

•One unlikely game Retro Studios studied while planning Donkey Kong Country Returns was Wario Land for the Virtual Boy -- specifically the separated platforming planes which allowed Wario to switch between background and foreground.
•After working on dark sci-fi environments for nearly a decade, the design team would occasionally create something that looked too Metroid, but Donkey Kong Country had to be "fun and whimsical," a mantra much repeated during development, so many initial designs were tossed out.
•With production finished on Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, Retro first brought up the idea of working on a Donkey Kong game but were told to make Metroid Prime 3 instead. Kensuke Tanabe said, "We wanted to depend on Retro to make games we couldn't [in Japan]."
•The wave level, in which tidal waves rise from the background to smash into the screen, took a long time to program. Estimates from the panel of Retro developers ranged from "months" to (hopefully jokingly) "years."
•Shigeru Miyamoto the creator of Donkey Kong, who Retro refers to fondly as "Master Yoda," told the US developers, "Donkey Kong is my baby and you better get it right!"
•The Super Guide feature which helps lackluster players complete levels was also used to test and record bugs.
•Many bugs came from players running back to the left instead of constantly running to the right; Michael Kelbaugh joked, "We were going to make an addition to the manual that said 'Don't go left.'"
•Satoru Iwata, president and CEO of Nintendo, told the Retro team "I am looking forward to playing this product with my family and having fun." They checked in with him after the game's release and he confirmed that his wish came true.
•After simply running back and forth for ten minutes and watching the animations of Donkey Kong turning around, Shigeru Miyamoto told Retro that it seemed like Donkey Kong was "blowing" when he created dust clouds. The "blow" mechanic used in Donkey Kong Country Returns was born from this off-handed remark.
•After showing a few levels at E3 in the summer of 2010, the team still had to make about 70 more before the game's release in November.

Bonus Factoid!

•Retro (facetiously) claimed that a classic Nintendo game they would like to revive next would be Doki Doki Panic (which was Kensuke Tanabe's first game, and eventually became Super Mario Bros. 2). Members of the panel also joked that they would like to make "Pokemon Prime" and/or work with (infamous Legend of Zelda character) Tingle.

Damian79

« Reply #254 on: March 04, 2011, 08:55:54 PM »
True but i wish that they are making it.  :/

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #255 on: March 04, 2011, 11:11:14 PM »

Dude, at the Q&A someone asked him about what he thinks of Metal Gear. He replied "I liked MGS 2!"

:bow
SRY