Author Topic: Xbox Live connection woes: help!  (Read 385 times)

Himu

Xbox Live connection woes: help!
« on: May 08, 2011, 03:01:41 PM »
Okay so one of the bullet points of the 360S for me was the wireless networking. I cannot stand wired connections, and getting the 360 online with wired connection in the past was beyond distinguished mentally-challenged for something so simple.

In any case, wireless is fine, unless it's on netflix. Netflix is slow and the quality bad. I only got one bar on netflix even though I had four bars for xbl.

So I decided to try a wired connection and managed to find an ethernet cable long enough to reach my 360.

So I shared connections, and after about two hours of tinkering I finally got it online. It would even say "certain features not accessible" and only give me a friends and My Xbox blade despite being connected to xbl.

Well, I got it working and try netflix and it's slightly better. But I close my laptop because I'm not using it and DINK. DISCONNECTED FROM XBOX LIVE because I put my computer to sleep. So I have to have my laptop on at all times in order to connect to xbl?

I'm trying hard here to find an optimal set up. I only have a modem, no wireless router, so maybe that's it. Either way, I'm confused as to how I can my xbl experience better.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 03:06:02 PM by Stringer Bell »
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Re: Xbox Live connection woes: help!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 03:09:36 PM »
The "Friends / Xbox" online only is because your connection sucks. I get that sometimes as well.

Your shitty connection is because of:

- Your shitty ISP, they may be throttling (a known case for some ISPs)
- Your shitty router
- Your shitty set up (using ICS to share a connection)

Have you done a speed test? What are you at?
fat

Himu

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 03:13:50 PM »
ISP: Century Link
Modem: Century Link 2Wire
Speed: 5.0/1.0

Note that I have no problems on ps3 or wii if hooked up to wireless.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 03:29:14 PM »
Get a router.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 03:30:14 PM »
You think that'll help a lot?

How about I get a wireless router, turn the wireless off the modem and hook the router up? Wasn't sure if it'd help.
IYKYK

Corporal

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 05:11:07 PM »
Bah. Filthy ICS using plebs ruining it for everyone.  >:(

Wired connection giving you trouble is a sure-fire sign that something is amiss in your network. Usually ethernet is plug-and-forget stuff, with WLAN fucking things up.

Seriously, there's a good chance even a crappy noname router for 30 bucks will do a better job than your current setup.

PS: Don't get a crappy 30 bucks router if at all possible.
!list

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 06:36:37 PM »
You guys are advising him to get a wireless router, but he's already using wireless on his laptop, isn't he? Otherwise why use "shared connection" to get it online.

Here's what I'm seeing from his description:

Xbox Live > TEH INTERNETZ > Stringer Bell's home internet connection > Wired Modem > Wireless Router >...> Laptop > Wired Shared Connection > Xbox 360

If this is correct, he's got a wireless connection having trouble already.

Stringer, you might benefit from a better wireless router or attaching an antenna to your existing one, or you can give up on wireless on 360 and buy a cheap-ass LONG ethernet cable to go from your home router to your 360. When I was having unknown problems with my wireless network, where EVERYTHING worked fine in my house except for my 360, I did that. My 360 loved that.

Himu

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 06:40:53 PM »
They're suggesting I get a router because I only have a modem, which has wireless signal inside it.
IYKYK

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 07:38:21 PM »
Ah. OK, got it.

You could also try using the antenna on the modem then, if it has an antenna-port.