Author Topic: A Song of Ice and Fire discussion  (Read 51564 times)

ZephyrFate

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire discussion
« Reply #240 on: January 30, 2016, 03:06:08 AM »
Not praise, since I'm a pretty good person. :)

Bebpo

« Reply #241 on: February 22, 2016, 04:48:19 AM »
Oh man, got around to reading the third Dunk & Egg story, The Mystery Knight and that was goooooooooood.  Would make a great 2 hour movie.  The other two stories were good too, but yeah Mystery Knight was great stuff, very well layered with lots of intrigue and twists and good characters.

king of the internet

• 🚽
« Reply #242 on: February 22, 2016, 02:14:14 PM »
Oh man, got around to reading the third Dunk & Egg story, The Mystery Knight and that was goooooooooood.  Would make a great 2 hour movie.  The other two stories were good too, but yeah Mystery Knight was great stuff, very well layered with lots of intrigue and twists and good characters.

I just read the knight of the seven kingdoms. It is indeed very good. As much as I love the main series, it was nice to just focus on two simple characters and their relatively simple adventures.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #243 on: February 22, 2016, 10:18:27 PM »
Another thread bump that isn't a TWOW release date  :(

Yeah, knock that off. This thread should be for release dates and obits until GRRM produces :bolo

El Babua

« Reply #244 on: May 11, 2016, 01:07:33 PM »

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #245 on: May 11, 2016, 01:34:45 PM »
It's the Arianne chapter he read 4 years ago at a con and was transcribed awhile ago too.

There's no reason for her two chapters not to be one. If that's the type of pacing Winds will have...good luck fitting every POV character in lol.

Only thing of major note
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Aegon has taken Storm's End and Mace Tyrell is allegedly marching to retake it, while Aegon plans to meet him in open field battle. But why do they assume Mace is leading the army? IIRC Randyl Tarly is leading the army while Mace refuses to leave KL until after his daughter's trial.

As I said when 4 years ago when this chapter was read...I'd bet money Tarly will switch alliances and join Aegon. The Golden Company mentioned they have friends in the Reach and I believe Tarly is one of them. His behavior in Dance's prologue was pretty weird too, ie him loudly voicing doubts that Connington is alive. I expect Tarly to parlay with Connington so he can see Aegon with his own eyes. Given that Tarly was a Targaryen loyalist, fought besides Connington and probably despises Tyrell weakness I'm pretty confident he'll switch sides.
[close]

El Babua

« Reply #246 on: May 11, 2016, 02:36:40 PM »
Yeah, he read that chapter soon after ADWD release.

Hoping it means newer material would be too spoilerish and not him having nothing else left to show off  :doge

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #247 on: May 11, 2016, 02:39:36 PM »
Acting like TWoW is ever coming out

yar

studyguy

« Reply #248 on: May 11, 2016, 04:37:31 PM »
D&D gonna skin that Rickon kid alive, probably rape the wildling girl.
The ruse that it's an Umbers trick might still happen, but not to save the Starks, rather to save the Umbers themselves. Interview already came out saying that the wolf is actually dead so the denial phase is over. All that's left is for the comic book villain to fuck the wildling girl, maybe he'll fuck the kid too if D&D don't feel like they've gotten their jollies in shock value yet.

North story getting railroaded, THE NORTH REMEMBERS is going to turn into Jon and probably his sister getting together with Wyman, fucking Ramsay but not until after D&D write Rickon out in some gruesome fashion.

OH is this the book thread, honestly it doesn't matter at this point since both are pretty much
 :trash
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 04:46:40 PM by studyguy »
pause

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #249 on: May 11, 2016, 04:49:32 PM »
Speaking of pacing again, it seems like within the first 200-300 pages of Winds (if it ever comes out  :doge ) there will be

1. The Battles of Ice: Stannis v Freys/Manderlys; siege/battle at Winterfell
2. The Battle of Fire: Barristan/Tyrion/Iron Born v Yunkai/mercenaries
3. The Infiltration of Storm's End: Connington/Aegon v Stannis' men
3A: The Battle For Storm's End: Connington/Aegon v Randyl Tarly (?)
[close]

I think most people probably agree Stannis is going to win the crofter's village battle given that the Manderlys are going to betray the Freys. Whether he takes Winterfell is another issue. Personally I think he will.

This really highlights that at least one battle should have been kept in Dance, and any editing requirements to get it done should have been taken. Obviously Winds is gonna be action packed which is good...but I'd rather have saved some pages by moving stuff to Dance, given all the shit that's going to happen.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #250 on: May 15, 2016, 03:22:45 PM »
Anybody played the Telltale games? Any good story bits in there?

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #251 on: May 15, 2016, 04:40:14 PM »

Nope. It's mediocre, not bad, though. On the boring side. Ramsay is somewhat prominent, so if you have low tolerance for him, avoid.
serge

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #252 on: May 15, 2016, 05:27:46 PM »

Nope. It's mediocre, not bad, though. On the boring side. Ramsay is somewhat prominent, so if you have low tolerance for him, avoid.

Yep and you're playing as characters from a nothing house so imagine the show, but if those characters really didn't matter.

TVC15

« Reply #253 on: May 15, 2016, 08:36:07 PM »
What should I watch tonight: GoT or The Craft?
serge

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #254 on: May 15, 2016, 08:47:13 PM »
How have I not seen The Craft
:mindblown

I remember wanting to see it as a kid due to the babes but I totally forgot about that shit.

TVC15

« Reply #255 on: May 15, 2016, 09:29:59 PM »
<3 Littlefinger <3
serge

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #256 on: May 15, 2016, 11:52:17 PM »
How have I not seen The Craft
:mindblown

I remember wanting to see it as a kid due to the babes but I totally forgot about that shit.

lol wow

TVC15

« Reply #257 on: May 15, 2016, 11:58:03 PM »
PD, Fairuza Balk circa 1996 is probably the hottest white woman that's ever existed.
serge

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #258 on: May 16, 2016, 12:16:08 AM »
PD, Fairuza Balk circa 1996 is probably the hottest white woman that's ever existed.

See, Toku?! Told you.

I agree. She oozes sex. It's her mouth, it just looks dirty. Not in a hygiene way but just...I can't describe it. She was so hot in The Water Boy. And she gave me conflicted boners in American History X. I'd make a sequel of American History X based on her. Like how she stops being a racist after falling in love with a black guy. I'd call it American History 13X, as a reference to Clarence 13X. So the black guy would be a member of the Five Percent Nation, making it a Romeo & Juliet type drama.

El Babua

« Reply #259 on: May 16, 2016, 12:26:48 AM »
We still talking about the books, brehs?  :doge

TVC15

« Reply #260 on: May 16, 2016, 12:30:38 AM »
We still talking about the books, brehs?  :doge

The Craft's influence on the first book is obvious to those in the know.
serge

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #261 on: May 16, 2016, 12:39:30 AM »

See, Toku?! Told you.

I agree. She oozes sex. It's her mouth, it just looks dirty. Not in a hygiene way but just...I can't describe it. She was so hot in The Water Boy. And she gave me conflicted boners in American History X. I'd make a sequel of American History X based on her. Like how she stops being a racist after falling in love with a black guy. I'd call it American History 13X, as a reference to Clarence 13X. So the black guy would be a member of the Five Percent Nation, making it a Romeo & Juliet type drama.

nicca you didnt tell me i already knew

I've even seen 95s "Things to Do in Denever When You're Dead" where she plays a young prostitute where her only dream/want in life is one night and a baby from Andy Garcias character. I am deep in these alt trailer trash streets.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 02:18:21 AM by toku »

Tasty

« Reply #262 on: May 16, 2016, 12:43:13 AM »
Is that Blair Witch 2??

TVC15

« Reply #263 on: May 16, 2016, 12:47:57 AM »
Is that Blair Witch 2??

No, asshole. Kim Director weighs like twice as much as Fairuza Balk.

I do like Blair Witch 2, though. It's a total mess, but it's a pretty unique, and always entertaining, mess. It will have a cult following.
serge

Tasty

« Reply #264 on: May 16, 2016, 01:11:30 PM »
My second choice was The Waterboy.

El Babua

« Reply #266 on: June 01, 2016, 07:26:36 PM »
George read a new chapter at a Balticon, transcribed here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TOzYKnHHFS87I2B1Mx1xaF0zoR5pjdl5bLh9Fzi6Dts/preview

TWOW Spoilers

Euron final boss confirmed.
[close]

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #267 on: June 01, 2016, 08:07:57 PM »
Haven't read the transcription since who knows how accurate the language is, but the descriptions of the reading
:whoo

Straight up Clive Barker shit.

spoilers
I like how Euron knows the limits of his strength. IIRC Garlan Tyrell is leading a massive army to the Shield Isles...Euron knows he can't hold that shit and decides to move on. Meanwhile the Redwyne fleet is on its way...will he engage them, and how can he win? I'd hope that all the religious stuff in the chapter isn't pointing to Euron being about to pull off some magical event that destroys the entire fleet. There are so many theories about him being able to control the weather somehow but good lord, I don't want that much magic in the series.
[close]

Also Martin confirmed that Brienne is a descendant of Ser Duncan The Tall.

El Babua

« Reply #268 on: June 01, 2016, 08:22:40 PM »
George did mention a few years back that magic, even at its peak in ASOIAF would be less out there than other fantasy series.

And then he's like "fuck it, have a kid travel his consciousness back in time effecting the future and have another dude summon tidal waves."  :doge
[close]

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #269 on: June 01, 2016, 10:22:43 PM »
George did mention a few years back that magic, even at its peak in ASOIAF would be less out there than other fantasy series.

And then he's like "fuck it, have a kid travel his consciousness back in time effecting the future and have another dude summon tidal waves."  :doge
[close]

really interesting theory, comparing it to the Red Wedding
https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/4m33w9/spoilers_twow_ripples_in_the_dreamscape_grrm/

Clearly Martin has laid the groundwork for something happening within the vicinity of Oldtown and/or the surrounding waters. And having Aeron bear witness to the sacrifice and then have Sam witness the results does make sense. Still while all this sounds fascinating it's too much magic. I've criticized the show for lazy plotting where someone (often Ramsay) achieves something through blatant cases of logic/plotting being thrown out the window; ends justifying the means. Clearly Martin has plotted out this particular thing well, but having Euron basically destroy the largest fleet in Westeros with magic is too far for me.

I like the idea of Euron bringing forth some type of apocalypse, but I figured it would be a result of him blowing the horn and destroying the Wall. Having him destroy a huge fleet and flood Oldtown with (blood) water and potentially demons seems pretty damn drastic for something that presumably does not impact the end game of the series. Like, assuming we see all this from Sam's perspective...who is going to later come to save the day or interact with Euron? Right now it seems like the time to begin focusing on end game plots - Others, the Wall, Aegon likely becoming king, Dany arriving, etc. Euron destroying Oldtown with blood magic doesn't seem to fit in any of that.
[close]

El Babua

« Reply #270 on: June 01, 2016, 11:15:24 PM »
True, but the type of effect Euron actually unleashes could be considered vague and be chalked up to good/bad fortune like Melisandre sacrificing that dude to get good sailing winds towards the Wall - only bigger, like a hurricane unleashed on the Redwyne fleet/Oldtown - having torn and mangled bodies wash up on shore, wreck the citadel, etc.

Or again, Martin could say "fuck it" and make Euron a grand wizard (alongside Bran as the time god). Funny enough, Euron most likely may have been Bloodraven's earlier candidate before Bran.

As for Euron himself, I always got the vibe he knew a lot more than every other character about what's going on (sans Bloodraven and the Children), so him making sacrifices including his unborn son with King's blood implies that he has an idea on how this shit works and is either an agent to bring about further chaos or trying to make the best out of what he sees as the impending apocalypse.

You know what's funny, Martin could have read this chapter 5 years ago instead of the boring ass Arianne one, but fans didn't want another Damphair chapter. All those theories that could have been spurred lol
[close]

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #271 on: June 02, 2016, 01:56:40 AM »
But from their sterns flew a flag the priest had never seen before: a red eye with a black pupil beneath an iron crown supported by two crows.

That can't be coincidence brehs. :ohhh

BTW...what if this isn't just about weather. What if he's birthing dragons with a giant blood sacrifice? He had at least one dragon egg, which we assumed he used to pay for Balon's assassination. What if he still has it and others. Using the religious figures and king's blood (Aeron) to hatch them. Granted, it's too late in the story for new born dragons to play any meaningful role, but still.

Yea I remember he tried reading this for YEARS and no one wanted to hear it, even after he said it was really twisted.  I'd say this is the best sample chapter thus far. I like Mercy and the Barristan chapters a lot, plus the second Tyrion chapter is dope...but this is on another level and really surprised me.
[close]

bluemax

« Reply #272 on: June 02, 2016, 02:17:45 AM »
PD have you read "The North Remembers"? The fan fiction conclusion that is probably more complete than what George will ever write? I skimmed some of it, it's definitely a bit more towards the realm of actual fantasy than what I expect from the series at this point. It has its own TV Tropes page apparently.
NO

bluemax

« Reply #273 on: July 14, 2016, 12:32:07 AM »
Yesterday marked FIVE YEARS since the release of Dance with Dragons.

For comparison Brandon Sanderson has released over a dozen different pieces of writing from full novels to short stories in the same time span.
NO

El Babua

« Reply #274 on: July 14, 2016, 12:36:51 AM »
I also finished a NaNo  :doge

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #275 on: July 14, 2016, 12:43:17 AM »

For comparison Brandon Sanderson has released over a dozen different pieces of writing from full novels to short stories in the same time span.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #276 on: July 16, 2016, 02:14:55 PM »

Mark Z. Danielewski put out three volumes of his 27-book saga in the past year and a half, and will finish the saga before George finishes his, probably.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #277 on: July 17, 2016, 05:27:21 PM »
Sanderson :piss2

haven't read The Way Of Kings tho
[close]

To me the Feast/Dance delays were understandable given the structural problems he had. Meerenese knot, 5 year gap etc etc. Would they have came out faster if he simply cut his schedule in half and devoted more time to writing? Sure, but it would have still taken a long ass time. Whereas I don't see an excuse for TWOW. It's largely due to him preferring to travel the world rather than give himself time to write.

I guess if there was one thing I could see him struggling with it's having all the POVs back. Wouldn't be stunned if he's sitting on a huge ass manuscript with no end in sight due to not planning properly/too many chapters. If the pacing in those Arianne chapters are what we can expect...good fucking luck. She sets out to meet Connington/Aegon and it's largely a journey for two chapters...and she doesn't even meet him at the end of the second chapter; it'll presumably happen in her third POV, or in Connington's POV. For reference she has two chapters in AFFC, and appears in a total of four chapters.

Bebpo

« Reply #278 on: July 17, 2016, 05:46:36 PM »
Eh, I've got no hate on GRRM, Ice & Fire is some fine writing.  But the one Sanderson book I've read so far Mistborn was a lot of fun.  It's not as finely written, but it's entertaining fantasy and I like the cast.  Currently reading the next book in the series.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #279 on: July 17, 2016, 06:00:03 PM »

Proof that good writing takes time then :hitler
que

TVC15

« Reply #280 on: July 17, 2016, 06:19:34 PM »

[close]

To me the Feast/Dance delays were understandable given the structural problems he had. Meerenese knot, 5 year gap etc etc. Would they have came out faster if he simply cut his schedule in half and devoted more time to writing? Sure, but it would have still taken a long ass time. Whereas I don't see an excuse for TWOW. It's largely due to him preferring to travel the world rather than give himself time to write.

I guess if there was one thing I could see him struggling with it's having all the POVs back. Wouldn't be stunned if he's sitting on a huge ass manuscript with no end in sight due to not planning properly/too many chapters. If the pacing in those Arianne chapters are what we can expect...good fucking luck. She sets out to meet Connington/Aegon and it's largely a journey for two chapters...and she doesn't even meet him at the end of the second chapter; it'll presumably happen in her third POV, or in Connington's POV. For reference she has two chapters in AFFC, and appears in a total of four chapters.

I think we should write a fantasy novel together.
serge

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #281 on: July 17, 2016, 09:57:08 PM »

[close]

THAT'S FUCKING SHITTY WRITING MOTHERFUCKER

He's more interested in world building than narrative. I don't know how many fucking times I have to say what is readily apparent.
yar

ZephyrFate

« Reply #282 on: July 17, 2016, 10:31:23 PM »

[close]

Absolutely 100% on point as always.

bluemax

« Reply #283 on: July 20, 2016, 02:19:47 AM »

[close]

He wrote more words on his blog last year about the National Football League than he has written in 5 years for The Winds of Winter.
NO

Sausage

« Reply #284 on: July 20, 2016, 03:35:34 AM »
If we're ever gonna see the end of the series, I think GRRM will have to kick the bucket so a more capable author can finish it.

Tasty

« Reply #285 on: July 20, 2016, 11:43:30 AM »
If we're ever gonna see the end of the series, I think GRRM will have to kick the bucket so a more capable author can finish it.

Dune-style.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #286 on: July 20, 2016, 11:58:32 AM »
The dune prequels and epilogue :kobeyuck
que

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #287 on: July 20, 2016, 05:36:36 PM »
The dune prequels and epilogue :kobeyuck

The Butlerian Jihad was even dumber than its name lead you to believe it would be. :lawd

If only Son Herbert would pen an Orange Catholic bible it'd put it to shame. :whew

Bebpo

« Reply #288 on: July 20, 2016, 06:06:49 PM »
Real talk: every time this post gets bumped I get excited that Words of Winter release date was announced.  Then despair  :'(

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #289 on: July 20, 2016, 06:11:01 PM »
You should know better by now, Bebpo

:jawalrus
yar

El Babua

« Reply #290 on: July 20, 2016, 08:02:11 PM »
Between me, PD and Walrus, one of us would just make a thread when Winds gets a release date.

Anytime now.   :doge

bluemax

« Reply #291 on: July 21, 2016, 01:20:37 AM »
The Mereenese Knot was such a shitfuck excuse. Just bring the characters together. The show has started openly teleporting them across the map, and no one gives a fuck.

But turtles! World building!
NO

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #292 on: May 31, 2017, 12:23:49 PM »
SPECULATION AHOY

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/05/this-theory-on-how-game-of-thrones-ends-is-so-good.html
 :ohhh :ohhh :ohhh :ohhh

Jaime is Azor Ahai, according to this pretty well backed up theory
[close]

...bet you thought you were gonna get some update on WoW being published
[close]

lol guess what WoW is never happening
[close]
yar

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #293 on: May 31, 2017, 01:30:26 PM »
PD am cry

Bebpo

« Reply #294 on: May 31, 2017, 02:47:12 PM »
Still no word on the book?

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #295 on: May 31, 2017, 02:52:02 PM »
yar

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #296 on: May 31, 2017, 03:59:44 PM »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #297 on: May 31, 2017, 04:28:21 PM »
I was expecting news on Wildcards or another non-ASOIAF Martin property that no one cares about.
:snoop

It's basically June. Five months gone. S7 starts super late and yet not only is he not done, there's not even a hint that he may be close. I'll say it again: I lost hope and I'm not thinking about this shit until the book is delivered on my porch (if it ever comes out). I liked the wait initially...it didn't feel like the Feast/Dance wait, and there were so many cool ass theories and analysis to discuss. But now...fuck all that.

I'd bet $100 that the problem is that he's got a bunch of material but no end in sight. All the POVs are back together again, but his writing pace is more like Dance than Storms. PERFECT example: Arianne's TWOW chapters. Without going into spoilers, she basically spends two chapters traveling to meet someone, and by the end of that second chapter still hasn't met him, but has reached her destination. He doesn't have time for that type of shit with 13+ POVs.

I will say this tho: the Forsaken chapter (Aeron) is prob the best thing Martin has written in a long time.

El Babua

« Reply #298 on: May 31, 2017, 06:10:05 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if he had that Aeron chapter in the backburner for 10+ years, just like the Mercy chapter.

I think he may have started over after he realized he wrote himself in a corner somewhere. Winds 2021 baby!

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #299 on: May 31, 2017, 06:20:31 PM »
So... looks like the show is gonna end up being canon then

:jawalrus
yar