Author Topic: [360/PS3] King of Fighters XIII  (Read 7093 times)

Enl

Re: [360/PS3] King of Fighters XIII - November 22nd
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2011, 04:58:18 PM »
Just put in about 15 matches with Lyte before we started lagging out. With the exception of a sudden freeze in one match and the last one the online play for us was pretty smooth. Lyte kicked my ass hard (only won one match). Admittedly I just got the game 5 minutes before we played so I spent most of the time learning the characters.  The game plays fantastic and is a major improvement over XII in every way. Looking forward to spending some time to learn this game.
mmm

Bebpo

« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2011, 07:20:39 PM »
Man, the soundtrack package is so nostalgic.  I grew up on these games.  Never liked them as much as Capcom games because of the stiffer animation and tougher combo chaining, but played them year after year after year.  From Fatal Fury 1 to KoFXII.  I remember when '99 came out on the Dreamcast and it totally changed up KoF with the experimental striker system and was a weird ass game like Tekken 4.  Then they slowly evolved the striker system until getting rid of it completely.  So many good matches, great characters, great backgrounds.

Wish my PS3 wasn't dead because I'm actually really looking forward to trying XIII.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2011, 08:15:19 PM »
Man, the soundtrack package is so nostalgic.  I grew up on these games.  Never liked them as much as Capcom games because of the stiffer animation and tougher combo chaining, but played them year after year after year.  From Fatal Fury 1 to KoFXII.  I remember when '99 came out on the Dreamcast and it totally changed up KoF with the experimental striker system and was a weird ass game like Tekken 4.  Then they slowly evolved the striker system until getting rid of it completely.  So many good matches, great characters, great backgrounds.

Wish my PS3 wasn't dead because I'm actually really looking forward to trying XIII.

There's an option to use older music in-game (soundtrack B) but it seems to be mostly from 2003 and XI.  I wish they went with more nostalgic music.  :)

SNK was on fire in the late 90's.  KOF '98 was the best, but it's hard to beat Real Bout Special and RB2, the Last Blade games, SS4, etc.  You also had awesome third party games like Ninja Master's and Waku Waku 7. 

I think KOF XIII is so good that it may end up as in my top three KOF titles, following '98 UM and 2002 UM.  This beats XI IMO.
ど助平

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2011, 11:22:13 PM »
ups delivered at 9:54 PM and left it in my carport  :-\

spoiler (click to show/hide)
still gonna try it right quick before zzz
[close]

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2011, 11:50:51 PM »
I forgot all about this "trick."  If you press select or back when selecting certain character's colors, you get different looks:

Raiden: Loses mask, gets Big Bear head
Elizabeth: KOF XI outfit (me bouncy part two)
Kyo: KOF '94-'98 outfit
Yuri: Gets ponytail back
Andy: Ninja colors/face mask
K': Multicolored/split-colors on outfit
Joe: Tiger striped shorts
Ralf: Camouflage colors
Takuma: Gets Mr. Karate mask!

ups delivered at 9:54 PM and left it in my carport  :-\

spoiler (click to show/hide)
still gonna try it right quick before zzz
[close]

UPS has been weird lately.  One time I had a package delivered to my folk's house, and they stuffed it in the mailbox at 9:00 PM.  Just...weird.
ど助平

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2011, 12:08:55 AM »
seems good!

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
Re: [360/PS3] King of Fighters XIII
« Reply #66 on: November 26, 2011, 06:51:39 PM »
Got this today. I just spent a few hours in training/mission mode trying to get a feel for some of the characters, since I'm still pretty new to KoF (the only one I spent more than a few hours with was '99). So far I like: King, Kim, Robert, Shen, and Terry was okay too. I want to use K', but he has a lot of combos that rely on doing his slide cancel (214K -> 214K) almost immediately, and I'm not fast enough to do it. I hope there's some shortcut or buffer that I'm not aware of. I also tried using Elizabeth for a while since I like her character design, but I absolutely hate her playstyle so I won't bother with her. :(

I still haven't even played a real match, but so far the game feels really nice. Gonna spend a lot more time with it tomorrow most likely.
BiSH

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #67 on: November 26, 2011, 11:59:27 PM »
Been playing a few versus matches against my brother and friend, game feels really solid so far. I'm pretty much lost when it comes to move canceling and some of the deeper gauge functions, though.
^_^

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: November 27, 2011, 06:10:25 PM »
The one thing to keep in mind is that this not Street Fighter.  "DURR HURRRR DERP," I know, but so many people online just don't get it and ultimately fail.  Hard.   The way that normals and special work is different...yes, I can punch you out of your super.  No, doing it again probably isn't a good idea.  No, attempting to turtle in KOF is bad bad bad.  But please  let me do hops and CD attacks to take your dumb ass out.   :P

K' seems to be this game's flowchart Ken, too.  More so that Kyo.
ど助平

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #69 on: November 27, 2011, 09:26:31 PM »
i like this game. feels like garou. this > umvc3

shame about the flat, ugly-ass stages
duc

« Reply #70 on: November 27, 2011, 10:14:45 PM »
I'm interested in this but I don't think I can justify buying more than one fighting game a generation, and that will probably be UMvC3.  I know it will probably just end up sitting there unplayed.  If it sells reallllly shitty I'll probably give it a pity purchase.
ǚ

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #71 on: November 27, 2011, 10:42:49 PM »
Raiden has the best alt costumes. One of them is clearly Tiger Mask, and his 10th one is Venom, which is kinda odd but awesome nonetheless. I also like Yuri's green/white Misawa costume. :bow wrestling
BiSH

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: December 05, 2011, 12:52:31 PM »
Anyone catch KOF XIII on the NEC stream last night?  Good shit!
ど助平

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2011, 03:29:26 AM »
Some info on the upcoming online patch:
According to ATLUS and developer SNK PLAYMORE, the patch will seek to make the game's network infrastructure more consistent for users, ensuring that the evaluation given connections is more accurate to the actual play experience. Moreover, the patch will introduce ranked host-side filtering, eliminating the frustration of match hosts unable to avoid matches with players with poor connections. In addition to a number of other improvements, the update will also address a number of rare glitches reported since the game's release. No release date currently exists for the update, but ATLUS reports that the developer is making every effort to release the patch as soon as possible.
http://atlus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9865

Which is nice and all, but I hope they try to improve the actual connection quality a little. This game deserves better online play.
BiSH

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2011, 08:07:28 AM »
Three (and the rare four) bar connections generally work well enough, so a little improvement should bring everything up to speed.

Having double-dipped I'm also finding way more people online on PS3.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2012, 01:37:40 PM »
Patch is up for PS3!

The patch is only for PS3 at the moment. The Xbox360 will be getting it as well, but there's no solid date as of yet.

Ranked Match Filtering: one of the most requested additions; players may now set conditions for their opponent's connection. When a player who doesn't meet the standby conditions tries to enter the Ranked match, a warning message will be displayed and the match cancelled.
    Improved Filtering: filtering functionality in general is dramatically improved. Previously, certain connection data was insufficiently filtered and the player had a chance of connecting to opponents with poor connection quality. Now, more aggressive filtering should ensure that players are only matched with opponents who meet their filter settings.
    Improved Connection Antenna: the computation behind the players' connection antenna, the meter indicating the quality of a player's connection, has been improved, resulting in a more accurate and consistent measurement.
    Temporarily Saved Custom Match Settings: players may continue searching for opponents with the same settings as long as the player remains in the PLAYER MATCH/RANKED MATCH menu.
    Character-specific Bug Fixes: NESTS-Style Kyo and Iori with the Power of Flames no longer become unresponsive under certain circumstances.
    Additional refinements, fixes, and more!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 01:39:26 PM by lyte edge »
ど助平