Author Topic: Your disappointment of the year so far  (Read 1865 times)

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
Your disappointment of the year so far
« on: August 13, 2011, 09:26:32 PM »
Brink & Dragon Age 2.

If I was forced to pick one I would have to say Brink. While DA 2 was flawed, rushed, and disappointing, it wasn't actively broken like Brink was and still is to this day.

Himu

Re: Your disappointment of the year so far
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 09:43:24 PM »
zero disappointments so far
IYKYK

cool breeze

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 10:00:45 PM »
LA Noire

less so,
Infamous 2 was really good and I liked it a lot.  It was still disappointing because a lot of what I liked in the first game isn't there.
Pilotwings Resort because the core mechanics are fun BUT WHY IS THIS $40.  better question: why did I spend $40? there is so little content, and less variety in what's there.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 11:13:40 PM »
Shadows of the Damned & DNF. Shadows of the Damned was fun but incredibly flawed. Expected better. DNF was just a turd plain and simple
◕‿◕

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 11:17:07 PM »
LA Noire.
i wasn't really anticipating it until all the pre-release hype got crazy. i fell for it and bought it. it's the first game in a very long time that i regretted buying  game and sold because i had no interest in continuing.
nat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 12:28:49 AM »
I guess the 3DS by default, although I've spent a shitload of time on a few of the games I have for the thing.

Have avoided stuff like DNF, LA Noire, and Dragon-Age 2.
ど助平

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 01:45:44 AM »
Marvel vs. Capcom 3 - There's a really good fighting engine here, but it's bogged down by X-factor. Including a mechanic in the game that lets just about any character insta-kill any other character with basic combos is just mind numbingly stupid. Beyond that, Phoenix is absurdly broken and the netcode is relatively poor. It's still a good game though - better than most of the stuff that came out this year. I just had really high expectations and the game came nowhere near them.

L.A. Noire - The story was enjoyable for the first half, but it nosedives after you get out of homicide. The detective work is too handholdy as well.

Earth Defense Force Insect Armageddon - Strip out all of the tactical challenge that makes EDF a great game and you're left with Bug Killer Musou. Boring.

Shadows of the Damned - A solid game, but I expected a more interesting story and cast of characters to come from Suda. Mikami must've done his best while overseeing the gameplay, but it's certainly nowhere near the same level as RE4 and especially Vanquish, so it's just kinda eh. Some levels are awful (horizontal shooter sections are shiiiiiiiiit), the game is short, and it has no replay value. Glad I rented it.

Otomedius Excellent - The easiest shooter ever just got even easier. Why.

On the other hand, here are some games that exceeded my expectations:

Bangai-O HD - I didn't like the DS game, so I was kinda wary going into this. But I'm glad to say that this game is MUCH better - it has a ton of extremely creative, well designed missions, it's challenging, and it's only $10. It's not as good as the DC version, but as an alternate take on the formula, I couldn't be happier with it.

Strania: The Stella Machina - I liked Grev's previous games, but I've never been a big fan. Strania is on another level though. Great music, great stage design with lots of variety, lots of weapons, nicely balanced difficulty, great soundtrack, lagless online co-op, and a good scoring system. I loved Bangai-O, but this is probably the best $10 you can spend on any DDL service. Oh, and you can pick up its sequel as a $5 DLC add-on. Ridiculous value.

Akai Katana Shin - I always thought I was going to like this game, but its poor performance in the arcades and the Shin mode demo made me temper my expectations quite a bit. But when I finally got the game and credit fed through Zetsu mode, I was completely blown away. Everything about the game is extremely well designed: the stages, the scoring system, the art, the graphics, the music, the enemies and bullet patterns, the pacing - literally, everything is A+ quality.

I guess I should've known better. Yagawa's games always seem to do poorly in the arcades even though all of them are so good. Maybe that's why they had him work on Daifukkatsu Black Label... so one of his games would finally make some money.
BiSH

Herr Mafflard

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 05:11:53 AM »
Probably Crysis 2. While I was certainly disappointed with Brink and DA2, I could still derive some sort of enjoyment from playing them. Crysis 2 was just boring to play through; fun is one word I wouldn't associate with any part of it--and didn't help that I was playing the empirically fun Bulletstorm at the same time, either.

Game I wasn't expecting much from but turned out somewhat enjoyable: FEAR 3. That's not to say game is really good or anything, in fact the second half of it sucks, but it sure as hell has decent gunplay that the folks at Crytek could of done well to take into consideration for their own game.

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 05:31:34 AM »
Red Faction: Armageddon

Would agree with this.  Didn't play DA2 but I wasn't that interested in the first place.
itm

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 05:42:34 AM »
DA2. Horrible game. Makes me lose faith in Bioware in general.

La Noire. So stunning, yet the core play of interrogation was like gambling.

Fallout NV. Just didnt click as 3, felt less cohesive and tight.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 05:44:38 AM by Premium Lager »

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 06:13:11 AM »
if all the old ass games that i've been playing count,blue dragon and lost odyssey,i was excited like a little kid when they announced them yet now that i've finaly played it i can't help but point and laugh at my old self
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 06:16:59 AM by magus »
<----

drew

• sy
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 10:46:51 AM »

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 10:50:49 AM »
Marvel vs Capcom 3 - was a huge fan of the second one and I liked SF4 a whole lot, so I was real hyped when this was announced. Unfortunately, I didn't like the small character roster (which was missing many favorites from MvC2) nor the X-factor, or the air combo system. Even the art style wasn't too much to my liking.
^_^

Stoney Mason

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 12:21:17 PM »
Brink - What an amazing sounding game that was completely broken and deeply flawed at launch and still is fucked up on consoles. Then they release DLC which is only free for a short time, like anyone would be stupid enough to play for it or the game in the future.

There are two things that tickle me about brink. First is all the hipsters who jumped on the bandwagon because Brink was going to show how to do a "proper fps".

The second is how those dudes (Splash damage) don't understand anything about consoles. I booted up the game yesterday for the first time in a long time and got all the updates. So I hop into a game and my team is outnumbered with about 6 humans on one side and only two on the other. They never did fix this. The game doesn't autobalance between matches. So those lop-sided numbers continue from game to game with one team dusting the other because people join and see its unbalanced and quit and because the bots are terrible. And because the population is low I kept quitting the game trying to find another and then joining the exact same unbalanced game. I immediately popped it out and drove down to gamestop and traded it in. Should have done that a long time ago. That's actually the reason why I made this thread because I got so annoyed.

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2011, 12:55:06 PM »

Pretty much.

I've been extra careful this year with my purchases.
Unzip

Tasty

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2011, 12:55:24 PM »
I think the only game I've even bought this year is Pokemon White. So no disappointments whatsoever, other than not buying any other games of course. I'm sure I'll get a couple clunkers next month when I get my 3DS.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2011, 01:01:58 PM »
inFamous 2 - I even got this for free and it was a turd

Brink - Mostly because I was convinced it would have a single player game and play like Mirror's Edge

RFA - I dont think I was disappointed in this, but it is a very huge step back from Guerilla, and now RF is dead because of it

Homefront - Because I really liked Frontlines, I'm sure if I wasnt locked out from the MP I would have enjoyed it more
fat

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2011, 01:03:48 PM »
I don't think I've really played anything this year that I've been disappointed with, mainly because I've avoided buying the games that looked poopy [Brink, Dragon Age 2, Duke Nukem Forever, ect.].
dog

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2011, 01:08:02 PM »
inFamous 2 - I even got this for free and it was a turd

Oh yeah, I got inFamous 2 for free too but haven't started the game yet. So whether it ends up disappointing remains to be seen.
Unzip

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2011, 03:06:48 PM »
Nothing really since the only stuff I bought were two Musou games and a bunch of cheap PSP titles that even if they disappointed, I was only out a few dollars.

I wanted to check out the new Red Faction since I was a big fan of Guerrilla but I guess it didn't turn out so well.
🍆🍆

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2011, 03:54:12 PM »
3DS.  I was very excited all the way up until shortly after launch day when the grim reality set in.   

pilonv1

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2011, 08:15:13 PM »
I don't think I was disappointed with inFamous 2. More like apathetic because it wasn't that much better than the first.
itm

Stoney Mason

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2011, 10:59:49 PM »
Just to balance the ledger the game I've enjoyed the most so far this year is Dead Space 2.

As far as an under-rated title I would say Operation Flashpoint: Red River.

etiolate

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2011, 11:05:26 PM »
I haven't had any gaming letdowns this year, but I am pretty selective. I'll be trying out Bastion soon and after that I think Zelda is the only game on my to-do list for this year.

I guess Capsized is the one game I would consider underwhelming. A lot of issues with visual design in the game.

pilonv1

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2011, 11:15:49 PM »
forgot one

Sho Nuff buying a 3DS
itm

Beezy

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2011, 11:27:08 PM »

Pretty much.

I've been extra careful this year with my purchases.
same here

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2011, 11:59:57 PM »
Prince of Persia 2008. Can I do that? It's just such an insanely beautiful setting, easily keeping pace with the visuals on 2011 games, and the gameplay and story are just... super lame. I'm going to go buy the original trilogy, or that one that game out with the movie.

If a 2008 game is against the rules, and I suppose it should be, I'll say LA Noire. I finished the tutorial and haven't been even marginally tempted to put it back in. I really wanted to like it, but it just feels like a King's Quest style adventure with Euphoria physics weighing down movement.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2011, 12:01:44 AM »
LA Noire

less so,
Infamous 2 was really good and I liked it a lot.  It was still disappointing because a lot of what I liked in the first game isn't there.
Pilotwings Resort because the core mechanics are fun BUT WHY IS THIS $40.  better question: why did I spend $40? there is so little content, and less variety in what's there.

What was wrong in inFamous 2? I've been thinking about grabbing it.

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2011, 12:06:49 AM »
Is InFamous 2 still full priced? I'd pick it up for like $30.
野球

cool breeze

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2011, 12:29:19 AM »
if we're talking best games, for me it's...Zelda Ocarina of Time 3DS   :supergay

I really liked the new games I played like Portal 2, Dead Space 2 and Infamous 2 too.  Haven't bought too many games in 2011.

The only other games I can think of are LittleBigPlanet 2, which I'm more or less neutral on, and I think that's it.

edit:  Frozen Synapse is up there too! I forgot that was released in 2011.

LA Noire

less so,

Nothing really, but I think pilnov's apathy response is more apt.

I still think it's great.  It's more "I really liked Infamous 1, had modest expectations for the sequel, and the sequel didn''t deliver"

Stoney Mason

« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2011, 12:50:39 AM »
I'll say LA Noire. I finished the tutorial and haven't been even marginally tempted to put it back in. I really wanted to like it, but it just feels like a King's Quest style adventure with Euphoria physics weighing down movement.

I totally get why some people don't like LA Noire. I certainly had my issues with it although I did enjoy it. For me it scratches a very specific itch that games like Police Quest scratched and none have attempted to scratch since. So for that reason I like it quite a bit personally but it is easily one of the more divisive games in recent memory because there are definitely a lot of fundamental issues with it. Sort of like Heavy Rain in that sense.

Tasty

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2011, 01:56:30 AM »
Oh I guess I bought Ivy the Kiwi right at the start of this year, and I still haven't finished it, so I guess that wins by default. Even though it is a fun and charming game.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2011, 05:05:41 AM »
Will join Demi and Stoney with Brink. As some of us discussed in the Steam thread, there's a lot of good ideas there, the execution is just so poor. I managed to get a couple good multiplayer games after unlocking stuff though during the free weekend and you can really see the potential during those. Coulda been a contender.

Other than that, maybe Homefront? Not that I expected much or even played all that much of it but it was one of those "I expected average" and was still disappointed things.

I'm quite behind this year on games though so I don't have all that many.

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2011, 05:24:29 AM »
Prince of Persia 2008. Can I do that? It's just such an insanely beautiful setting, easily keeping pace with the visuals on 2011 games, and the gameplay and story are just... super lame. I'm going to go buy the original trilogy, or that one that game out with the movie.

If a 2008 game is against the rules, and I suppose it should be, I'll say LA Noire. I finished the tutorial and haven't been even marginally tempted to put it back in. I really wanted to like it, but it just feels like a King's Quest style adventure with Euphoria physics weighing down movement.

i asked in the random gaming thread,but someone told me that the ending of prince of persia 2008 is very stupid and i'm curious to know how it ends
<----

benjipwns

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2011, 05:31:22 AM »
I played on PC so I didn't get the Epilogue DLC, but people seem to consider the original as the better ending in which:
spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Prince re-releases the evil bad guy, who consumes the world, so that he can save The Princess. Who had been sacrificed earlier to seal in the bad guy and save the world.
[close]

The DLC apparently borderline rectons everything.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 05:41:07 AM by benjipwns »

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2011, 07:13:46 AM »

It's pretty much the same game in a lot of respects. The core elements are improved like controls, shooting, movement and climbing. However the campaign is less varied and focuses more on combat and big scripted sequences that feel really janky at times. Basically its trying to be Uncharted 2 but doesn't have the budget to back it up. They removed a lot of the cool platforming sections as well.

I actually liked the inclusion of the literal angel and devil character's that represented the good and bad paths. I think its a far better solution to that concept than in the first game.

Overall it depends on how much you enjoyed the first game. If you loved it than it will probably not.disappoint you too much.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 08:25:38 AM by fistfulofmetal »
nat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2011, 07:45:23 AM »
Glad to hear it. I was pretty damned enthused with the first game, and will eventually pick it up if it's just "more of the same." Actually, the cutscenes not being ventriloquist dummy type mouth and pose animation. In 1, it was a little unsettling when the police pulled a gun on me prior to every mission description. Maybe they felt a little insecure?

i asked in the random gaming thread,but someone told me that the ending of prince of persia 2008 is very stupid and i'm curious to know how it ends

Christ, I accidentally clicked on benjipwns' spoiler and read a few words before realizing it was about the PoP game! EEEP! I will probably not pay for the Epilogue DLC, since the main game has been almost a chore at times. I love looking at the vistas, but the game is kind of a grind.

benjipwns

« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2011, 08:04:56 AM »
I absolutely love PoP 2008 but it has some real flaws. I saw someone on GAF mentioning the other day that it's all about the vistas and the rhythm of the "platforming" which is where I agree. It's entirely deceptive with the platforming because you do get an advantage from perfect timing but lose very little if you're off. When you're going through an area to get to the stupid random "guards" at the halfway point you can tell it because if you do it perfectly you'll get there and can one button dismiss them, otherwise you have to waste your time with the weak parry crap. And the bosses become a beyond grind because of the combat system and the scaling, which is another potentially good idea that fails in execution.

The end of the game is really one of those gaming convention rejections in favor of a specific style you think would send GAF and the like wild if it was, say a PS3 exclusive. But most people probably bailed out early for understandable reasons. I talked to a few people IRL a year or so ago who gave up on the game without ever knowing you could teleport to locations you had cleared. (They were complaining about how you had to "backtrack" everywhere to get back to areas.) And they never saw the later puzzles either.

When AC2 came out I hoped that the new PoP would get the upgrade that AC did from the first game to the second. But then, the movie tie-in.

:lol Sorry for rambling away from the thread topic about a game most people aren't going to like.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 08:10:07 AM by benjipwns »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2011, 08:26:43 AM »
I liked every bit of that post.

Yeah, I was just thinking this morning, "hey, this is kind of a 'rhythm platformer' -- in that sense, it works..."

I recall a rumor that Assassin's Creed stemmed from an attempt to make PoP into an open-world game, and the various troubles that caused.

It's funny, because AC1 is just boringly repetitive in its gameplay after the first hour, because the auto-traversal stuff is, well, "auto." Then in AC2 they have the tombs, which are essentially PoP levels. And here we are with PoP 2008, a big open map, and the main complaint is the standard OWG one: people get tired of traversing it from one end to the other for a mission. :rofl

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2011, 02:23:39 AM »
I'm actually playing Red Faction Armaggedon right now and it's kinda poopy. RF2 is to RF1 as RFA is to RFG. The destruction is worse, and loses the spotlight to poor shooting mechanics. The levels are bland and ugly. There is infinitely less variety. Bleh bleh bleh.
zzzzz

ch1nchilla

« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2011, 07:13:45 PM »
LA Noire - Shit is boring as hell.

MvC3 - Looked beautiful and I'm sure it's a good game but the sheer pace of the gameplay stood as a barrier to entry for me, and the shit ass online play setup (played the PS3 version in Japan) prevented me from ever getting any real practice, since 95% of my online playtime was spent refreshing the game search. Amazing how Tecmo could get the net code right for Dead or Alive 4 in 2005, yet Capcom does a terrible job in 2011.  :japancry

Tucah

« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2011, 08:11:52 PM »
Dragon Age 2 - I don't think I need to elaborate.

Also LBP2, I was kind of neutral on the first game but for some reason thought I'd like the sequel a lot more. I didn't.

Portal 2 is probably my favorite game of the year so far. Expanded upon the concepts of the first game perfectly, it's exactly what a sequel should be.

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2011, 08:22:18 PM »
Front Mission Evolved - What a waste

Naruto Ninja Storm 2 - instead of getting a repeat performance of the first first two great x360 games we get a sequel to the not as good PS3 game. Lame Shit.

God Eater Burst- I heard some hype about this....got it...garbage
o_0