Author Topic: Sports gaming ghetto thread  (Read 69772 times)

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
Re: Sports gaming ghetto thread (really this thread is only for me)
« Reply #180 on: July 01, 2012, 10:19:40 PM »
Divac  :lol
©ZH

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #182 on: August 21, 2012, 10:45:58 PM »
There is NBA Live 13 footage up on youtube that is quickly being taken down by EA copyright claims but its looks pretty terrible. That better be "early" footage or EA is gonna have another nba elite situation on their hands.

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #183 on: August 22, 2012, 04:09:54 AM »
Looks early, the player models clearly don't have the level of detail/lighting. But the animation is even worse than the models.
itm

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #184 on: August 22, 2012, 08:22:37 PM »
Any thoughts about what will be different in EA's UFC game? I am curious how much they'll bring over from EA Sports MMA.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #185 on: August 23, 2012, 09:17:28 AM »
Any thoughts about what will be different in EA's UFC game? I am curious how much they'll bring over from EA Sports MMA.

Not sure. Whatever they do I'm sure it will very accessible and mainstream which could good or bad. I'm one of the few weirdos who liked some of the things EA Sports MMA did even though I understand why a lot of people didn't like and it agree with the complaints about the flaws. I just think accessible is a better approach for MMA or wrestling games.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #186 on: August 27, 2012, 12:41:10 AM »
I wasn't really sure what was supposed to make the EA MMA game more accessible, though. The gauges were one thing, but I never managed to get one of the submission gauges to make any sense to me: UI fail. Also, the vibration feedback, muddying the player's perception of what was coming at them, seemed like a good idea, but I'd have been happier if EITHER UFC or EA MMA had some kind of working feint mechanic.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #187 on: September 10, 2012, 12:24:10 PM »

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #188 on: September 11, 2012, 09:47:46 AM »
Ten minutes of gameplay:

Stoney Mason

« Reply #189 on: September 11, 2012, 12:46:00 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #190 on: September 13, 2012, 04:20:37 PM »
Meanwhile...at EA:

NBA Live 13 is effectively delayed indefinitely. While EA Sports may say the game isn't, technically, delayed because it was never given a release date, the publisher today acknowledged many had expected it to release Oct. 2 alongside competitor NBA 2K13, and said it's giving the NBA Live development team more time to shore up a game that left E3 roundly panned and had gone AWOL in the three months since.

The release of that trailer above, however, at least pushes back speculation that the entire project would be scrapped, the fate that befell its predecessor, NBA Elite 11, back in 2010. But EA Sports provided no guidance on when this game would release, whether that would be in the month of October or even 2012. A release on Oct. 2 would seem to be off the table, though.

An EA Sports spokesman also would not comment on rumors that the game would be released as a download-only version over Xbox Live Marketplace and the PlayStation Store.

"The team is making steady progress, and we're continuing our work on NBA Live," Andrew Wilson, the executive vice president in charge of the EA Sports label, said in a statement. "We remain focused on rebuilding this franchise for the future."

Another statement from EA Sports acknowledged that customers had been anticipating an Oct. 2 release but "our plan is to release at a later date. We will share more information in the future."

pilonv1

« Reply #191 on: September 13, 2012, 09:21:09 PM »
They need to cancel it. It's beyond dead
itm

Stoney Mason

« Reply #192 on: September 14, 2012, 10:50:42 AM »
nba live

:lol

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #193 on: September 14, 2012, 04:13:53 PM »
That's a name I haven't heard in a while. Wasn't the last one '08?
©ZH

benjipwns

« Reply #194 on: September 14, 2012, 04:17:27 PM »
No, Live came out until Live 10. Then they changed to NBA ELITE 11 to launch a new brand, but that had a poor reception with Jesus Bynum, so got delayed, then cancelled. They took the NBA game away from EA Canada and gave it to Tiburon. Tiburon spent nine months in pre-production doing fuck who knows...then started development on this Live 13 last fall.

I'm starting to wonder if Tiburon said "you're fucked, let us start for next gen" and EA was initially on board and then 2K11-12 started setting sales records so they were told to try and kitbash something together from Live 10/Elite 11.

According to people who know this type of stuff there's Live 10 models/assets/animations and some other stuff yanked from Elite 11 in all these Live 13 videos.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 04:20:11 PM by benjipwns »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #195 on: September 14, 2012, 04:26:01 PM »
Once you strip out nostalgia, EA hasn't made a good simulation basketball game in so many years its crazy. They have no clue where to start. If I was them I would just concentrate on the NBA JAM/NBA Street portion of the market and grow that.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #196 on: September 24, 2012, 10:37:32 PM »

pilonv1

« Reply #197 on: September 24, 2012, 11:38:27 PM »
Apparently some of those are wrong :lol

ust fyi... some of the controls are incorrect in this trailer:

Bounce Pass = LT+A
Behind the Back = RS away from hoop

As for shots, the trailer just shows how to execute some of the new shots with the face buttons. Shot Stick controls are completely different. For example:

Hop Step Layup = LT+Double Tap RS left or right
Euro Step Layup = LT+Throw RS one way then back the other
itm

Stoney Mason

benjipwns

« Reply #199 on: September 25, 2012, 07:10:53 PM »
According to some posts on OS it seems Dr. J, Kareem, and Webber are not returning.

2001 Sixers are the only new classic team.

Himu

« Reply #200 on: September 25, 2012, 07:13:43 PM »
FIFA 13 is out.
IYKYK

pilonv1

« Reply #201 on: September 25, 2012, 08:18:48 PM »
2k13 demo is pretty good but the stick dribbling and using LT for shotstick makes it tough to learn.
itm

Stoney Mason

« Reply #202 on: September 25, 2012, 08:29:22 PM »
It's definitely fun. There are some clear improvements. Passing seems a bit better and the animation selection for inside shots is a lot better.

My complaints are hopefully tuning ones that can be addressed by difficulty level and the big patch they always do after the game releases. Right now the game seems very offensive. Lebron is draining three's in the demo and adding back stuff in like the hopstep has made driving the lane and getting a decent shot pretty easy. I always wish they would add more defensive tools to a basketball game rather than just offensive tools

Stoney Mason

« Reply #203 on: September 27, 2012, 04:53:38 PM »
 :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

NBA Live 13 has been cancelled by EA Sports, according to EVP Andrew Wilson.

“After a lot of consideration, we have made the decision to not launch NBA LIVE 13,” said Wilson. “I’d like to give you a bit of perspective.

“When we started the process of bringing back NBA LIVE, we knew it was going to be a long journey. We started by moving the game to a new studio. We brought in some of the best new technology that has helped fuel innovation in our other games. We launched an even deeper level of engagement with our community to gather more feedback directly from fans. And we built a whole new development team to bring it all to life. We felt like we were on the right path.

“We also made a commitment to deliver a high quality experience — this is what our fans expect and what we demand of ourselves at EA SPORTS. But making great games is not easy, and we’re just not there yet on NBA LIVE 13. Having continued to look at the game over the past few days, it’s clear that we won’t be ready in October. And rather than launch midway through the season, we’re going to sit out the full year and stay focused on making next year’s game great. This decision puts us on the right track for success well into the future in a rapidly changing industry.

“I’m disappointed that we have not yet met our high expectations with NBA LIVE, but I remain motivated about where we’re going. We’re committed to delivering new innovation in online, and our progress in the visual presentation of the game continues to take big strides. We also know that a great game starts with great gameplay, and this remains a huge priority for us.

“This wasn’t an easy decision, but it’s the right one for our fans. I hope you’ll agree when you’re able to play the game next year.”

A first look at the game was released by EA last week, alongside the news that while  an early October release had been originally planned, the game would instead be released “at a later date.”

The game was noticeably absent from E3 2012 this year, and EA Sports explained it away has the title “deserved its own time” and promised to show it at a later date.

In early August, EA Tiburon said it had hoped to provide hands-on time with the game this summer, and an XBL Rewards listing suggested it would be released in digital instead of physical form.

The franchise is expected to return next year with what we assume will be NBA Live 14.

pilonv1

« Reply #204 on: September 27, 2012, 05:31:28 PM »
Hardly surprising. Just a train wreck of a series now.
itm

Stoney Mason

« Reply #205 on: October 02, 2012, 10:05:52 AM »
Annoying. The digital distribution version of NBA 2k13 on pc won't drop until the 16th. You can buy it right now off of psn though if you have playstation plus.

>:(
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 10:07:49 AM by Stoney Mason »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #206 on: October 03, 2012, 03:29:37 PM »
Got it for the PC and played a number of games against my nephew.

It's a fun game that is a little too offensive happy for my tastes compared to some years past but if you're a casual guy its probably the most inviting version of the game ever. It's definitely fun even with it being too offensive imo. The problem for me is that the dribble moves with the superstar players are too powerful and combined with the easy hop step button now its very hard to stop a player who knows what he is doing from getting in the paint at will.

Just as I expected from the demo the hopstep like it was 2k11 just invites you to abuse it nearly every time you want to get into the lane to score. This is all based on All-Star level difficulty with it set to simulation instead of default settings. I imagine on default its even harder to play defense. The inevitable post game patch should pretty much be tailored towards the defense.

Fortunately the shooting isn't as over powered as I feared although its easier than it was last year and the boost for being wide open and getting a good release is pretty high but I think people like that as its frustrating to miss wide open shots too much.

As expected the Lakers are utterly unstoppable. I guarantee if you play online you will get a constant stream of nothing but Lakers players.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 03:34:29 PM by Stoney Mason »

pilonv1

« Reply #207 on: October 03, 2012, 07:44:14 PM »
Is My Team mode available for PC?
itm

Stoney Mason

« Reply #208 on: October 03, 2012, 08:02:10 PM »
Is My Team mode available for PC?

Nope.

And no All Star Weekend DLC

pilonv1

« Reply #209 on: October 08, 2012, 06:53:12 PM »
http://www.vgrevolution.com/2012/10/nba-2k13s-vc-a-dangerous-precedent-for-gaming/

Sort of sums up my feeling on VC. I had some points left from my XBL Rewards so I bought 10k (240pts, who cares). But it's ruined MyTeam mode and the way they drip feed you VC in MyCareer is hopeless.
itm

Stoney Mason

« Reply #210 on: October 08, 2012, 10:54:19 PM »
My nephew was complaining about how slowly they dole out the points in my career also.

pilonv1

« Reply #211 on: October 08, 2012, 10:57:01 PM »
It's terrible. Plus you only get 10 more VC for winning a game in MyTeam.
itm

Stoney Mason

« Reply #212 on: October 08, 2012, 11:11:06 PM »
That's too bad. Maybe they will patch that. I had been waiting to try out my career until I felt really comfortable with game and the new moves.

I've found that in human versus human games, Superstar difficulty set to simulation helps controls a good deal of the cheese in driving the ball. Although I think those settings effect the post game a bit too negatively.

pilonv1

« Reply #213 on: October 08, 2012, 11:31:05 PM »
Unfortunately online is set to Pro or something equally stupid. Too many steals and inside scoring is incredibly easy.
itm

Stoney Mason

« Reply #214 on: October 08, 2012, 11:35:28 PM »
Yeah the default difficulty is terrible because they toned it down to make the game more accessible. It's nearly impossible to stop anybody on defense who has half a brain. I'm fine with that but they could have at least upped the online default difficulty.

benjipwns

« Reply #215 on: October 13, 2012, 03:58:25 AM »
PCDD now listed as delayed to October 30th.

2K is aware there's a free DD version that's been out for two weeks now right?

Stoney Mason

« Reply #216 on: October 13, 2012, 10:10:44 AM »
Yeah really dumb. They've basically ceded all sales to piracy on that platform.

benjipwns

« Reply #217 on: October 13, 2012, 10:20:56 AM »
Even worse is that a good number of the modders who create all those backend Steam sale double dippers and stuff are Chinese pirates who openly post the pirate version of the game alongside their mods.

2K strips features, waits on patches, now delays the easiest way for a lot of people, even Americans this year since they apparently only shipped for pre-orders and a few extras on PC (Amazon has a PC retail copy taking up to two weeks now),  etc.

NBA Live got a lot of its PC sales from Europe back before Europe was even the market it is now. Especially those games up to 2000 where the PC versions were massive compared to the console iterations. Hell, they hired the admin of the top fan site. Then they degraded into shoddy console ports. 2K started with shoddy console ports and can't seem to figure that out.

*Standard PC disclaimer, they sell five million on consoles, maybe come close to 50,000 on PC in a best case scenario.

Fifstar

« Reply #218 on: November 25, 2012, 07:18:44 PM »
Got NBA 2k13 as it was cheap on german Amazon. This is my first game in the NBA2k series and my first basketball game since uh, NBA  Live98 or so? Anyway, this game is confusing the hell out of me, seems like everything on the pad has 10 different functions  ??? Any tips on how to get started? And what's is up with that VC crap? Just read up about it and it seems more like doing work than playing a game if everything has to be unlocked.

Also, is there a way to reboot My Player? I picked a dumb size/position combination as I didn't care at first (just wanted to play the game), but it seems like I can't change it now, is there an easy way to start over? This online account system kinda sucks...
Gulp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #219 on: November 25, 2012, 10:47:41 PM »
As far as learning moves there is a training session thing in the practice menus that shows you nearly every move and then has you attempt them. I would definitely do that first to sort of understand how the system is put together. You won't remember all the moves but it will show you everything so that you know what you eventually need to learn.

Then I would pick about three dribble moves and three post moves and concentrate on remembering those. Then go play your mode of choice and work in and practice those moves. After. A few games when you've got those down pick out a few more and do the same. It's best to slowly incorporate the moves and understand when they work and when they don't work.

Fifstar

« Reply #220 on: November 26, 2012, 04:57:26 PM »
Thanks Stoney. Did the full practise today (lol at the shoes as a reward) and I'm slowly getting better.

Did you play the My Player Mode? Seems like you get a pretty low amount of stat points to upgrade your player, would I be better off to use a trainer?
Gulp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #221 on: November 27, 2012, 01:01:55 AM »
Thanks Stoney. Did the full practise today (lol at the shoes as a reward) and I'm slowly getting better.

Did you play the My Player Mode? Seems like you get a pretty low amount of stat points to upgrade your player, would I be better off to use a trainer?

It's definitely an incredibly slow grind to get more points in my player this year. I wouldn't blame anybody if they used a trainer or hack. I didn't but I understand why others would.

benjipwns

« Reply #222 on: December 17, 2012, 03:30:49 AM »
Good news about NBA Live:
http://instagram.com/p/TOsIjaPK58/
@youngced7 huge over haul....they are doing a lot of work on it, and have a whole new team

pilonv1

« Reply #223 on: December 17, 2012, 04:14:18 AM »
Second verse same as the first
itm

benjipwns

« Reply #224 on: December 23, 2012, 01:36:23 AM »
2K13 PC is going to be $15 on Amazon on Christmas Day. Activates on Steam.

And EA had that guy delete the tweet about their Live 14 mo-cap session and the "new team" since they're "going dark" about Live until their big "comeback blitz" like last year.

benjipwns

« Reply #225 on: January 04, 2013, 08:42:34 PM »
2K13 PCDD (Steam key) is on sale for $15 on Amazon again until the 9th. If you have one of those $5 credits it'll apply and you can get it for $10.

First version of a NCAA mod just came out: http://www.nba-live.com/ncaa-2k13-v1-0-released-for-nba-2k13-pc/

Stoney Mason

« Reply #226 on: January 06, 2013, 11:10:12 AM »
Picked up WWE 13 as it got a price drop to 30 bucks at gamestop. I'll post some impressions later. Haven't played a wrestling game in a number of years but this game seemed to get pretty good impressions so I was tempted to pick it up.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #227 on: January 07, 2013, 10:34:37 PM »
I put in some time on WWE 13.

I had heard really positive things about this edition.

All I can really say is that I hope THQ going down finally means the license is going to someone who knows how to make a strategic wrestling game because WWE 13 is not that. Honestly it doesn't feel far removed from those original Smackdown versions I played back in the day. It still doesn't flow well. It still doesn't have a good strategy to it. It's just not especially good. The animation system is still stiff and lousy.

It has all the things that would make it a good package. A large roster of wrestlers. A lot of match types. A great download a created wrestler feature. A lot of reverence for the WWE in general. But it still just doesn't feel very good even after all these years. If it actually played well it would be a fantastic product as it has all the bells and whistles.

It doesn't help that default the game is a reversal-fest. Playing with two human people is just stupid. You can reverse everything due to a huge timing window. Fortunately there are sliders where you can reduce the timing window on a lot of aspects of the game but it still doesn't fix the fundamental issues, the game has. 

benjipwns

« Reply #228 on: February 01, 2013, 07:12:13 PM »
North America's longest-running sports video game franchise celebrates its 25th anniversary this year, as Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: EA) has officially announced Madden NFL 25, launching on August 27. This year's game will feature the Madden NFL 25 name when it launches in August, plus a new fan Cover Vote will pit the NFL's greatest legends against today's hottest stars.

"There's no better way to celebrate and mark the culmination of 25 years of innovation than by naming this year's game Madden NFL 25," said Cam Weber, General Manager of American Football for EA SPORTS. "This year's game will push the boundaries with gameplay and feature innovations that will lay a very strong foundation for the next 25 years of this storied franchise."
http://investor.ea.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=737413

Stoney Mason

« Reply #229 on: March 19, 2013, 01:20:48 PM »
Bought FIFA 13 on a lark since I've always heard how good this series has become. Haven't bought a soccer game in many years so this should be interesting...

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #230 on: March 19, 2013, 01:49:42 PM »
fifas fun. what system u get it on
USA

Stoney Mason

« Reply #231 on: March 19, 2013, 01:55:36 PM »
Sexbox

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #232 on: March 19, 2013, 02:58:35 PM »
o i wouldve played u if u had it on pc
USA

Stoney Mason

« Reply #233 on: March 20, 2013, 11:55:14 AM »
Played with some friends online for about 2 hours last night. Game seems really good. I was impressed.

Although I suck ass.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #234 on: March 21, 2013, 11:24:18 AM »
My defense is okay but man my offense stinks.

Doesn't help that I don't follow soccer in real life so I don't have any strategies.

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #235 on: March 21, 2013, 11:31:53 AM »
defense is notoriously shit in FIFA, the best way to deal with it is pres the D-Pad to the left until "Ultra Defensive" is on, then press I think it's D-pad up and select "Counter Attack". That usually works.
USA

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #236 on: March 21, 2013, 12:43:11 PM »
I got up to league 2 in Ultimate Team, i'm not bad I just hate how easily exploitable it is
USA

cool breeze

« Reply #237 on: July 11, 2013, 12:09:16 PM »

Surprised this NHL 94 mode isn't an XBLA game.  I used to be big into these NHL games until 98.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #238 on: September 16, 2013, 11:08:50 PM »
EA SPORTS NBAVerified account
‏@EASPORTSNBA
Hey Guys, first thing I want to let you know is that #NBALIVE14 will be in stores on November 19th for both Xbox One & PS4.

What a scam.

Stoney Mason