Author Topic: Anime-Booru Desu~ |OT|  (Read 860793 times)

Rahxephon91

Re: Anime-Booru Desu~ |OT|
« Reply #10740 on: June 19, 2021, 06:25:31 PM »
Welllll, I still haven't seen Thunderbolt S2 since I heard it was not so good.

And I just found out that Hathaway is 3 movies and this is just the 1st one? Hype kinda deflated cause they could still fuck up the rest.
Well I was wrong about that. Don't know where I got it that Thunderbolt staff was involved.

Still, I just watched it and I actually thought it was pretty solid. And this is coming from someone who doesn't consider themselves a traditional Gundam fan. I like Gundam a lot actually, but find most western fans takes on it to be pretty bad. I don't think UC gundam is the end all be all and in fact, I find a lot of it bad. Zeta is poorly paced and filled with non-human characters. I like the AU series because they can have unique spins on Gundam.

That said, I thought this movie was very good.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10741 on: June 19, 2021, 07:10:47 PM »
Vivy ended.   It holds up through the end.   Watch it~

I'm a few episodes behind on it, but it's been really good. Definitely a surprise of this season.
dog

« Reply #10742 on: June 20, 2021, 04:45:05 PM »

I'm a few episodes behind on it, but it's been really good. Definitely a surprise of this season.

A satisfying conclusion.  I'll definitely be looking for shared creative staff showing up on other projects.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10743 on: June 20, 2021, 07:59:41 PM »

A satisfying conclusion.  I'll definitely be looking for shared creative staff showing up on other projects.

Wit Studio's been doing really great work. Attack on Titan, The Rolling Girls, Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, Ancient Magus' Bride, Vinland Saga, Great Pretenders...all above average or better series.
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #10744 on: June 20, 2021, 09:56:33 PM »

Wit Studio's been doing really great work. Attack on Titan, The Rolling Girls, Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, Ancient Magus' Bride, Vinland Saga, Great Pretenders...all above average or better series.

Everyday on the way to  the station, I walked past their offices when I lived in Mitaka for 6 months, in 2019. They smoke a WHOLE BUNCH.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10745 on: June 21, 2021, 04:45:23 PM »
Animation quality directly correlates with packs of cigarettes smoked. It is known.
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10746 on: June 27, 2021, 08:42:55 PM »

Mappa da GOAT does it again! :rejoice:
dog

Rahxephon91

« Reply #10747 on: June 27, 2021, 08:49:17 PM »
That looks really good.

I've read a little bit of the manga. It has a trippy indie vibe to it.

Wish it came out when I was a teen.

Bebpo

« Reply #10748 on: July 03, 2021, 02:49:20 AM »
So all the Gundam: Hathaway's Flash praise was pretty bullshit.

Back in the day I read the summary of the novels and boy were they fucking stupid and edgy in a Mark Millar Gundam way. And yep, while the directing/animation/art is pretty good here, the story & script are just dumb as shit. There is no way to make this story any good. Also crazy nonsense talking gundam girl is pretty annoying archetype in 2021.

Bebpo

« Reply #10749 on: July 03, 2021, 03:14:05 AM »
Also, my recollection of Hathaway's Flash every time it was in a videogame was just people yelling MAFTY! every couple mins.

Movie is pretty much the same.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #10750 on: July 03, 2021, 03:27:24 AM »
I didn't really find it edgy. While the female character is bad in a Tomino way, I guess I wasn't annoyed because she clearly is serving a function.

I don't know, I liked Hathaway as kind of naive protagonist whose clearly not that great at this whole thing. That's what was compelling to me.

Bebpo

« Reply #10751 on: July 03, 2021, 03:37:03 AM »
It's edgy in a 1989 Tomino kill-them-all depression where he thinks a great concept for a sequel to CCA is what if Bright Noa's kid became a terrorist leader because he's so fucked in the head from living through the various OG wars (including Quess damage from CCA).

Which is just a stupid af story concept. I mean CCA was already pretty trash outside the fights/animation, especially the Quess stuff.

He's not even a smart terrorist like Char. He's like "durrr, I'm gonna kill the federation heads and then humanity will all agree with me to go to space!", it's just a really dumb plot idea overall.

It also doesn't go anywhere from what I remember and the ending is fucking stupid.

And the Xi Gundam and Penelope Gundam are both pretty terrible ugly Gundam designs. 

I feel like there's a reason they sat on these novels for 20+ years before deciding to adapt them. They're just bad. Even for Gundam bad.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #10752 on: July 03, 2021, 04:33:50 AM »
I'm not seeing that.

I don't think that is edgy in itself. My takeaway is that Hathaway is clearly a kid that has grown up with legends and these ideas his whole life. He's a product of the UC and has been living with the concept of Newtypes and whatnot much more than the average person. People like Armuro and Char are real to him, even though yes in CCA he didn't spend that much time with them. But it's clear to me he is very close to the myths of those characters. I mean wasn't it Armuro who "spoke" to him before he takes charge of the Gundam. He's a guy who kind of seems like he doesn't know what he's doing.

This story seems to be the aftermath of CCA and as someone who was directly involved, it makes sense that a story would focus on how that entire era has left the next generation. So I don't think it's a stupid concept.

I also don't think he's supposed to be a smart terrorist. You have the scene on Earth where the cab driver is telling him this whole conflict is pretty dumb and pointless. You have Kenneth comparing Mafty to Char and how naive and arrogant it is. And Kenneth isn't 100% framed as a villain either. You also have Hathaway make dumb choices because not only can he not read people, he also seems unsure about being Mafty. He also still has feelings about Quess, which sure an annoying character, but still understandably left a mark. Gigi may also be annoying, but she's supposed to remind him of Quess. She also underlines his insecurity when compared to Kenneth.

I feel like the Penelope pilot is another mirror, especially in dialogue where Kenneth says "this could have been you" basically. Like yeah, Hathaway you could have been an ace Federation pilot, but you're becoming an idiot.

I don't know where it will go. I read the summaries from a blog that claimed the "famous dark ending" isn't exactly what it's always said to be online. It still sounds a bit overdramatic, but I liked the movie because it seems to be smaller scale, but also focused on a character that I feel is interesting because of how flawed they are. I'm not a big UC head and I am someone who enjoys themes and can gloss over plot. I liked the direction in this and felt like it had a more realistic direction than other UC shows. I don't know, I enjoyed it.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 04:41:10 AM by Rahxephon91 »

« Reply #10753 on: July 04, 2021, 07:14:16 PM »
Just finished Odd Taxi, probably one of the best anime shows I've seen in years. Ending the series with that ending scene though...  :existential

« Reply #10754 on: July 08, 2021, 02:55:21 PM »
I loved the first Hathaway's Flash film and kinda thought your complaints about Hathaway and Mafty in general are essential to the plot. He's trying to be Amuro but also idealistic like Char and it's highly problematic (he looks like Amuro, dresses like him on the outside layer but then he has the deep red vest underneath), along with his trauma suffered during the events of CCA. He's also a product of privilege and being allowed to chase his ideals regardless of whether the regular person even cares (ie. the conversation with the taxi driver).

edit: Cool to see AVClub talking about the film with similar thoughts:
https://www.avclub.com/mobile-suit-gundam-hathaway-reckons-with-the-privilege-1847228242
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 03:26:54 PM by Mr. Gundam »
野球

« Reply #10755 on: July 10, 2021, 10:36:21 AM »
I loved the first Hathaway's Flash film and kinda thought your complaints about Hathaway and Mafty in general are essential to the plot. He's trying to be Amuro but also idealistic like Char and it's highly problematic (he looks like Amuro, dresses like him on the outside layer but then he has the deep red vest underneath), along with his trauma suffered during the events of CCA. He's also a product of privilege and being allowed to chase his ideals regardless of whether the regular person even cares (ie. the conversation with the taxi driver).

https://www.avclub.com/mobile-suit-gundam-hathaway-reckons-with-the-privilege-1847228242

I basically agree with this takeaway, but couldn't sum it up so succinctly.  Like it's pretty clear he's struggling with his ideals, and the actual wants and needs of the _engine_ he's set in motion.  It's also clear there are bad actors co opting his movement, further muddying the waters of public perception.  I'll have to check out this av club article soon, thanks for the link.

Edit:
I think the article unravels a little at the end, but it's mostly on the mark
The bit about burning bridges etc isn't actually what's going on, from what I could tell, he resolves to follow through with his plans, but it's clearly stated that the only reason he was where he was is because of another weird ideal he holds which is
spoiler (click to show/hide)
wanting to see / meet / interact with the politicians he's out to kill because he doesn't want his victims to be faceless to him.
[close]
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 10:48:52 AM by pancakesandsex »

« Reply #10756 on: July 13, 2021, 12:48:25 PM »

I basically agree with this takeaway, but couldn't sum it up so succinctly.  Like it's pretty clear he's struggling with his ideals, and the actual wants and needs of the _engine_ he's set in motion.  It's also clear there are bad actors co opting his movement, further muddying the waters of public perception.  I'll have to check out this av club article soon, thanks for the link.

Hathaway's comment about Anaheim playing both sides shows the military industrial complex in full force doing what it does best. The Earth government may be shit, but the people making Gundams aren't any better.
野球

« Reply #10757 on: July 13, 2021, 10:56:18 PM »

Hathaway's comment about Anaheim playing both sides shows the military industrial complex in full force doing what it does best. The Earth government may be shit, but the people making Gundams aren't any better.

That's reinforcement / re-iteration of established commentary on that from other iterations of gundam as well, not just like, a one off comment.  Good stuff.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot™

MMaRsu

« Reply #10759 on: July 20, 2021, 07:15:38 PM »
Whats a anime that is good and is about dragons (not killing them preferably?)

Or also a cute anime about cats

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10760 on: July 20, 2021, 07:32:03 PM »

dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10761 on: July 20, 2021, 07:39:33 PM »
dog

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #10762 on: July 20, 2021, 09:40:55 PM »
Dragon Pilot on Netflix has draggos.
©@©™

« Reply #10763 on: July 20, 2021, 11:03:22 PM »

Or also a cute anime about cats

Miss koboyashis dragonmaid

Chii’s sweet home
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 03:56:11 PM by pancakesandsex »

MMaRsu

« Reply #10764 on: July 21, 2021, 05:35:06 AM »

Why is he walking on two legs tho wtf...

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot™
« Reply #10765 on: August 04, 2021, 06:19:17 PM »

« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 02:10:39 PM by D3RANG3D »

Beezy

« Reply #10766 on: August 23, 2021, 10:57:09 AM »

Tasty

« Reply #10767 on: August 23, 2021, 11:04:15 AM »
Need to see it in motion.

Netflix is 0-1 on these live-action adaptations for me (Death Note.)

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #10768 on: August 23, 2021, 11:52:08 AM »
Faye looks like a visiting character from NCIS: Ganymede
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10769 on: August 23, 2021, 03:09:07 PM »
Hopefully they get a trailer out pretty soon.
dog

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10770 on: September 19, 2021, 09:05:28 PM »
ど助平

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot™
« Reply #10771 on: September 23, 2021, 10:08:29 AM »

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot™
« Reply #10772 on: September 29, 2021, 01:17:33 PM »

:rejoice

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #10773 on: September 29, 2021, 01:37:00 PM »
Wow, it's been a minute since the first season.
©@©™

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10774 on: September 30, 2021, 07:24:47 AM »
Wow, it's been a minute since the first season.

Season one aired in 2013!

:titus
ど助平

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot™
« Reply #10775 on: September 30, 2021, 11:39:08 AM »
Japan's been in the lets remake and or make sequels to shit from 10-20+ years ago tip lately.  :lol

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot™
« Reply #10776 on: October 02, 2021, 11:37:31 AM »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #10777 on: October 02, 2021, 01:28:44 PM »
©@©™

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot™
« Reply #10778 on: October 02, 2021, 02:39:32 PM »
dub  :nope

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot™
« Reply #10779 on: October 04, 2021, 11:45:23 AM »

:dead

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10780 on: October 07, 2021, 08:33:36 PM »

dog

Beezy

« Reply #10781 on: October 07, 2021, 09:03:24 PM »
Both look underwhelming. :(

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot™
« Reply #10782 on: October 12, 2021, 12:40:15 AM »

Crunchyroll's fauxnime debut is actually coming out :o:lol
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 05:46:48 PM by D3RANG3D »

« Reply #10783 on: October 13, 2021, 08:08:09 PM »
For anyone more familiar with the game - Is the Shenmue anime looking like it's covering the first game?  Is there stuff from all 3 so far?  Might it have an ending where the original never will, y'know, like X TV or something.....?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10784 on: October 13, 2021, 08:33:05 PM »
For anyone more familiar with the game - Is the Shenmue anime looking like it's covering the first game?  Is there stuff from all 3 so far?  Might it have an ending where the original never will, y'know, like X TV or something.....?

There's definitely some stuff from 2 in the trailer.
dog

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot™
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 05:53:30 AM by D3RANG3D »

Rahxephon91

« Reply #10786 on: October 20, 2021, 01:18:13 PM »
Blade Runner looks lame after the anime short from 2049.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #10787 on: October 26, 2021, 01:54:18 AM »
Blade Runner looks lame after the anime short from 2049.
It looks exactly like everything I was afraid a sequel would be. Man, wow, I couldn't even finish the trailer.

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #10788 on: October 26, 2021, 04:30:38 AM »
Wonder if chainsaw man is gonna be 2021 or will slip to 2022.

I've rewatched Hunter X Hunter, Bleach Naruto and Eyeshield 21 recently the Ninja war arc is such a fucking mess, like all over the god damn place.

As for Bleach, it ends so weirdly, I cannot believe how many filler eps there are for those two especially. I have basically just used filler lists so I skip that shit.

Hunter X Hunter is so good, cannot wait for that to return either. Although the Ant saga is such a weird way to end things lol.

Beezy

« Reply #10789 on: October 26, 2021, 10:23:53 PM »
I still say the casting for Faye and Spike could've been better, but it looks decent.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot™
« Reply #10790 on: October 28, 2021, 05:30:43 PM »

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot™
« Reply #10791 on: November 03, 2021, 12:56:01 AM »

Bebpo

« Reply #10792 on: November 09, 2021, 05:32:29 PM »
https://twitter.com/onepiecenetflix/status/1458192148642234371

Pretty good casting outside Sanji

Nami looks ...really close, damn. I guess she was the most normal looking character outside her waistline.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot™
« Reply #10793 on: November 09, 2021, 05:33:45 PM »
One Piece is garbage enough :yuck

Beezy

« Reply #10794 on: November 20, 2021, 08:08:15 PM »

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot™
« Reply #10795 on: November 20, 2021, 08:16:43 PM »
 :yuck

« Reply #10796 on: November 28, 2021, 06:10:05 AM »

Exclusive Global Premiere of the first 12 episodes on Netflix starts from December 1

Jojo Stone Ocean springing up with 12 episodes in December. Pretty weak OP though.