Author Topic: Anime-Booru Desu~ |OT|  (Read 1266391 times)

Bebpo

Re: Official Manly Anime Thread of Joseph Joestar Vs. Vampires
« Reply #720 on: January 05, 2012, 10:26:27 PM »
Wow, I didn't realize you get the entire DtB S2 + OAVs in BD and DVD for $26 with great packaging to boot.  This release is a steal.  Will be lending the dvd version to my friend who watched S1 but then gave up on anime.  I don't think S2 will change his mind, but maybe he'll actually watch it.

« Reply #721 on: January 05, 2012, 10:57:54 PM »
RELEASE FIRST SEASON OF DTB ON BLU-RAY YOU MOTHER FUCKING BITCHES

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Yes, I've been drinking.
[close]
野球

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #722 on: January 05, 2012, 11:06:40 PM »
I tragically realized yesterday that Bandai USA going tits up means there'll never be a cheap S2 box for Code Geass. Fucking sucks since I'd been waiting on that happening before buying the second season.  :(

http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/oatu=ODlsVWcJWZmpU/browse/item/93972/4/0/0

It comes out on February 7th for $30.

I think I'm gonna cave and buy the Geass season sets, no way in hell we're getting Blu-rays ever.

Why would you do a thing like that  :-\

Yeah, really.  He should just download the blu-ray rips.   :P

I'm more concerned that the 2nd season of K-on is never going to come over now.  Here I thought it already had!  Dammit, I hate owning incomplete shows.  Not that the 2nd season is worth owning outside the last 4-5 eps, but the multiple endings were nice.

Oh really?  I still haven't made it through season two yet.  Couldn't finish it...I'm somewhere between 14-16.  Enjoyed the first season though.
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #723 on: January 05, 2012, 11:47:33 PM »
The last 6 eps of Season 2 has some really great episodes in it.  Best part of the season for sure.  So if you're already that far you might as well finish it eventually.  I wish I could find the Cromartie MAN TEARS comic about the finale from the gaf thread when it aired. 

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #724 on: January 06, 2012, 12:55:13 AM »
:rock :rock :rock :rock :rockUNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ:rock :rock :rock :rock :rock

:rock :rock :rock :rock :rockUNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ:rock :rock :rock :rock :rock

dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #725 on: January 06, 2012, 12:56:08 AM »
Decided to start DtB Season 2 tonight, ended up blowing through four episodes in a row. :rock
dog

« Reply #726 on: January 06, 2012, 01:03:33 AM »
Why oh why isn't the first season on blu-ray?
野球

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #727 on: January 06, 2012, 01:37:50 AM »
So far Dtb2 is awesome, it's basically an anime version of Leon: The Professional.
dog

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #728 on: January 06, 2012, 01:45:56 AM »
does it have collarbones
萌え~

Bebpo

« Reply #729 on: January 06, 2012, 02:16:10 AM »
It has hobo hei
redhead loli
rockman
samurai girl

It's up to you to decide if those are what you want out of life.

Probably no point?  Wasn't it made during the 480p 4:3 digital era?  Those shows aren't worth rebuying on bluray, just buy the super cheap by now dvd sets for stuff made during that era.  It's the best it will ever look.

« Reply #730 on: January 06, 2012, 11:41:28 AM »
It has hobo hei
redhead loli
rockman
samurai girl

It's up to you to decide if those are what you want out of life.

Probably no point?  Wasn't it made during the 480p 4:3 digital era?  Those shows aren't worth rebuying on bluray, just buy the super cheap by now dvd sets for stuff made during that era.  It's the best it will ever look.

It's out on Blu-ray in Japan and from the sounds of it was actually done as a 16:9 HD show.
野球

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #731 on: January 06, 2012, 12:26:36 PM »
Umm...DTB Season 1 was broadcasted in HD along with Gundam 00.

Native 720p at least.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #732 on: January 06, 2012, 12:35:23 PM »
So wait, Bebpo is unaware of HD anime streaming AND he thinks anime from 2007 was still airing in 480i, 4:3? :lol
dog

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #733 on: January 06, 2012, 03:14:40 PM »
So wait, Bebpo is unaware of HD anime streaming AND he thinks anime from 2007 was still airing in 480i, 4:3? :lol

Bebpo is getting senile is his old age.
ど助平

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #734 on: January 07, 2012, 12:00:20 AM »
I tragically realized yesterday that Bandai USA going tits up means there'll never be a cheap S2 box for Code Geass. Fucking sucks since I'd been waiting on that happening before buying the second season.  :(

http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/oatu=ODlsVWcJWZmpU/browse/item/93972/4/0/0

It comes out on February 7th for $30.

I think I'm gonna cave and buy the Geass season sets, no way in hell we're getting Blu-rays ever.
Oh shit, awesome, thanks for the heads up. I netflixed the first season and for a DVD release it looked pretty damn good on my 720p set.  :-[
Hi

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #735 on: January 07, 2012, 09:56:25 PM »
Bodacious Space Pirates [Moretsu Pirates] - Episode 1

The name conjures up images of something utterly abysmal and depressing, which is unfortunate because that's not what the show is like at all. Rather than drawing on the current trends in anime [moe slice of life and fan service escalation], it actually draws more from anime during the 90's [On ANN it was likened to Martian Successor Nadesico, which I think is a good comparison especially considering they share the same director]. The story is that a teenage girl suddenly finds out that her father was a [legal] space pirate and that's he's recently died, leaving the girl as the sole inheritor of his pirate ship. Overall, it's a fine productions, with decent animation [even if nothing really happens], detailed backgrounds, and an art style that doesn't try to do too much. Nothing much happens in the first episode, just setup for the rest of the series. The next few episodes should give a good idea of where the show's going, but for now it looks to promise lots of lighthearted space adventure that won't make you feel depressed for having watched it.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 09:58:37 PM by Great Rumbler »
dog

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #736 on: January 07, 2012, 10:00:03 PM »
somebody told me to download Senki Zesshou Symphogear

its shit

end review

now im downloading wasting bandwidth on nisemonogatari
萌え~

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #737 on: January 07, 2012, 10:04:50 PM »
Symphogear is my next show to watch, my expectations are low but I'm sure I'll still be disappointed.
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #738 on: January 08, 2012, 01:01:58 AM »
Nisemonogatari kind of sucked.  It suffers from the same problems as the Kurenai OAVs and lots of sequels.  Basically it's a sequel just because, even though everything was concluded in the original and there was no need for a sequel.  Ep1 was just fanservice "oh remember these characters?" and just fillerish in general and not as well written, directed, and the music is worse.

The movie should actually be pretty good since there's still the prequel story to tell and that has a point.  But a sequel?  There's nothing to care about.  What kind of plot can they even do at this point without feeling contrived and lame. 

Eh, will keep watching, but don't have much faith in it now.  Would rather they just continued the plot of the original where he meets a new girl each arc and has to solve her supernatural short story.  It wouldn't be very creative, and would be more of the same, but it'd still be better than what nisemonogatari looks to be about.

Hoping Eureka 7 AO isn't going to suffer from this.  At least since it's hundreds of years after E7 it can't be "hey look at these characters hanging out!"

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #739 on: January 08, 2012, 03:14:09 AM »
Holy shit, the dream of the '00s is alive on Adult Swim on Saturday nights. FLCL, Bebop, and The Big O are all still airing.
Hi

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #740 on: January 08, 2012, 03:28:31 AM »
everybody at shaft should just make houses or something
萌え~

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #741 on: January 08, 2012, 12:43:57 PM »
Holy shit, the dream of the '00s is alive on Adult Swim on Saturday nights. FLCL, Bebop, and The Big O are all still airing.

:bow
dog

Himu

« Reply #742 on: January 08, 2012, 01:39:41 PM »

:bow
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #743 on: January 08, 2012, 04:14:51 PM »
Did anyone actually finish Penguin Drum?  Thinking about going back to the shows I was watching last season (No.6, Penguin Drum) before checking out other stuff.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #744 on: January 08, 2012, 05:45:12 PM »
Did anyone actually finish Penguin Drum?  Thinking about going back to the shows I was watching last season (No.6, Penguin Drum) before checking out other stuff.

Yeah, I finished it. Ending felt just a bit too "easy" in some ways, but it was still really good.
dog

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #745 on: January 08, 2012, 11:18:55 PM »
looked way to cutesy for my tastes so avoided

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #746 on: January 09, 2012, 12:21:06 AM »
looked way to cutesy for my tastes so avoided

Some of the aesthetics might be cutesy, by the content is far from. It's more like a dark fairy tale, without all the Tim Burton/Hot Topic stuff.
dog

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #747 on: January 09, 2012, 12:51:58 AM »
I'll give it a try, the nostalgia thread has got me watching sabre rider :lol

Bebpo

« Reply #748 on: January 09, 2012, 03:34:32 AM »
15 mins into Aquarion Evol and it's Macross F 2

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #749 on: January 09, 2012, 05:57:47 PM »
i've jumped from blackjack to astroboy just for variety sake,at the start of each book there are some comments by tezuka and in one he comments about how a scene where astroboy get smashed against a wall was judged too violent for the american market but personaly i'm more amused by the fact that one of the stories features hitler and nazi's :lol
<----

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #750 on: January 09, 2012, 06:25:15 PM »
I wish there was more hard-scifi like Planetes, but it's a real aberration [even including American TV shows and live-action movies].
dog

« Reply #751 on: January 09, 2012, 07:18:05 PM »
15 mins into Aquarion Evol and it's Macross F 2

:rock

Ranks still sucks. Team Sheryl FTW.
[close]
野球

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #752 on: January 09, 2012, 07:25:24 PM »
My god episode 10 was a heart wrencher

If you think that's a heart wrencher, just wait until you get to the last few episodes.
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #753 on: January 09, 2012, 10:08:44 PM »
Ok, Aquarion Evol was pretty good!  Looks like we may have the first enjoyable mecha series since Gundam OO S1.  It seems worse than Aquarion in every way, but that's expected since anime isn't as good anymore.  But!  It's still fun and has that Aquarion feel.  You can tell the plot is going to be really lolz as they try to write in a sequel to a story that doesn't make a sequel the easiest thing to write, but at least they're trying.  Mecha design is alright.  Attacks are decent so far.

Will be watching this.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #754 on: January 09, 2012, 11:50:48 PM »
Nisemonogatari kind of sucked.  It suffers from the same problems as the Kurenai OAVs and lots of sequels.  Basically it's a sequel just because, even though everything was concluded in the original and there was no need for a sequel.  Ep1 was just fanservice "oh remember these characters?" and just fillerish in general and not as well written, directed, and the music is worse.

The movie should actually be pretty good since there's still the prequel story to tell and that has a point.  But a sequel?  There's nothing to care about.  What kind of plot can they even do at this point without feeling contrived and lame. 

Eh, will keep watching, but don't have much faith in it now.  Would rather they just continued the plot of the original where he meets a new girl each arc and has to solve her supernatural short story.  It wouldn't be very creative, and would be more of the same, but it'd still be better than what nisemonogatari looks to be about.

Hoping Eureka 7 AO isn't going to suffer from this.  At least since it's hundreds of years after E7 it can't be "hey look at these characters hanging out!"
I disagree. You have to remember with a new season new viewers will come in so they have to ease the characters in for them.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #755 on: January 10, 2012, 12:37:01 AM »
Ok, Aquarion Evol was pretty good!  Looks like we may have the first enjoyable mecha series since Gundam OO S1.  It seems worse than Aquarion in every way, but that's expected since anime isn't as good anymore.  But!  It's still fun and has that Aquarion feel.  You can tell the plot is going to be really lolz as they try to write in a sequel to a story that doesn't make a sequel the easiest thing to write, but at least they're trying.  Mecha design is alright.  Attacks are decent so far.

Will be watching this.

So this is a sequel?  Had no idea.
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #756 on: January 10, 2012, 01:00:13 AM »
Yeah, takes place 12,000 years later and looks to tie in heavily with the original.  Pretty sure everyone will be reincarnations or clones of the original cast, lol.  I'm just glad that my favorite badass instructor dude:

Is in the show in some form. Personally I hope it's actually the same guy 12,000 years later and not his great-great-great-12,000-year-grandson/reincarnation/clone.  Been a while since I watched Aquarion but wasn't he an immortal guy or something.  I should rewatch the final ep of Aquarion to refresh.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 01:13:44 PM by Bebpo »

Bebpo

« Reply #757 on: January 10, 2012, 01:17:15 PM »
And predictably, everyone on anime-gaf hates Aquarion Evol while they froth at the mouth for the next moemoe schoolgirl slice of life. 

And apparently people have never even heard of Aquarion??  Dude, that was only 2005. 

You know, suddenly it becomes very apparent why the anime threads there are 100% junk...the posters are like twelve and started watching anime in 2009 and have no frame of reference for growing up on awesome 90s anime.  Instead they grew up on semi-awful moe digital shit.  Bleh.

« Reply #758 on: January 10, 2012, 01:21:08 PM »
I tried watching Aquarion a couple times, but it was a little too creepy for me. The orgasmic gattai was too much.
野球

Bebpo

« Reply #759 on: January 10, 2012, 01:28:28 PM »
You got that it was a joke right?  The series is 75% comedy/parody, 25% super robot epic.  I don't find Aquarion creepy at all.  There was an episode about smelling feet!  Show was hilarious with great characters, music, awesome attacks, and a decent story.

« Reply #760 on: January 10, 2012, 01:29:55 PM »
You got that it was a joke right?  The series is 75% comedy/parody, 25% super robot epic.

Yeah, but I still wasn't feeling it. Too much comedy/parody for me.
野球

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #761 on: January 10, 2012, 01:34:55 PM »
I watched the first episode of the original series, but couldn't get into it.
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #762 on: January 10, 2012, 01:38:37 PM »
The first couple of episodes are kind of bad.  I gave up after ep1 myself, but later went back and watched further and found a great show.

This review on amazon sums it up well:
The first several episodes of "Aquarion" are not very engaging -- they speed by too fast, don't really make you care about the characters, and basically consist of the same pattern: Apollo does something feral and/or stupid during training, Silvia and/or Sirius are disgusted, the Cherubim attack, but Our Heroes (including Apollo) save the day and learn a valuable lesson in the process. Also typical anime cliches (accidental kiss, Benedict-and-Beatrice soulmates, and big strompy robots).

But after the first five or six episodes, something happens -- the series gains a sense of humor that infuses its rather cheesy overarcing storyline. Kawamori lets the story unfold gradually, and with a sly sense of spoofery and occasional bittersweet moments (Apollo's friendship with Baron) instead of pompous seriousness. Silly attack names ("Unlucky Bottom Attack!"), comical deus ex machinae (Our Heroes are saved by a cry of "DINNER!"), piroetting alien mecha, lots of pseudomystical stuff, cosplay, and a Yoda-like commander who exists solely to teach the heroes Important Life Lessons and spout cryptic sayings at the worst times. And I must admit, those orgasmic mecha merges are pretty funny.

"Aquarion" takes a long, long time to get off the ground. But once the satire kicks in, this mecha series becomes a gorgeously animated, fluffy brand of brain-candy.

It also has a great Yokko Kanno soundtrack.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 01:40:29 PM by Bebpo »

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #763 on: January 10, 2012, 01:52:25 PM »
Sorry but the sister wanting to merge with her brother and all the weird ass naked moaning in the first few eps of aquarion turned me off immediately
o_0

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #764 on: January 10, 2012, 01:53:33 PM »
And predictably, everyone on anime-gaf hates Aquarion Evol while they froth at the mouth for the next moemoe schoolgirl slice of life. 

And apparently people have never even heard of Aquarion??  Dude, that was only 2005. 

You know, suddenly it becomes very apparent why the anime threads there are 100% junk...the posters are like twelve and started watching anime in 2009 and have no frame of reference for growing up on awesome 90s anime.  Instead they grew up on semi-awful moe digital shit.  Bleh.
My only posts in animeGAF threads was bitching about animeGAF itself. It didnt take long for me to realize the opinions and discussions I would source from there would be somewhere below general shounen anime boards yet slightly above general moe crap boards. I've been watching anime since I was 5, have been on anime boards since around 12, while I have seen worse it's not worth my time to talk anime with people well below my usual standard of discussion :/

/uguu snob

Bebpo

« Reply #765 on: January 10, 2012, 01:55:51 PM »
And this is where I realize I'm probably the only person on the internet who actually finished Aquarion.  No wonder I'm the only one hyped about the sequel!

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #766 on: January 10, 2012, 02:06:16 PM »
And this is where I realize I'm probably the only person on the internet who actually finished Aquarion.  No wonder I'm the only one hyped about the sequel!
Naah, I finished it and got that it was a throwback/homage/parody. I liked it but it didnt stand out much for me because 2005 I was more enchanted reading/watching Beet the Vandal Buster, Pani Poni, Basilisk, FMP, School Rumble, Karas, Tsubasa, Gunparade, Mushishi, hell even though I dislike it Eureka Seven left more of an impression.

If GoA launched today though, it would have much less competition and I would have probably remembered it better. Victim of it's time IMO.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #767 on: January 10, 2012, 02:07:35 PM »
Oh and Tenjou Tenge too, still pissed they dont continue the story. Didnt even care it was heavily censored, was fun as fuck to watch.

« Reply #768 on: January 10, 2012, 03:06:10 PM »
Aquarion just had too much humor for me. Kind of like Full Metal Panic. I loved the first season and Second Raid, but Fumoffu was just too silly for me.

Gurren Lagann was a nice balance.
野球

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #769 on: January 10, 2012, 03:09:21 PM »
Fumoffu was just too silly for me.

Get out.
dog

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #770 on: January 10, 2012, 03:09:52 PM »
Aquarion just had too much humor for me. Kind of like Full Metal Panic. I loved the first season and Second Raid, but Fumoffu was just too silly for me.

Gurren Lagann was a nice balance.
I just pretend Fumoffu is an entirely different anime. I dislike GL for various reasons, it's one of two animes I really spaz out about.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #771 on: January 10, 2012, 07:16:28 PM »
Sorry but the sister wanting to merge with her brother and all the weird ass naked moaning in the first few eps of aquarion turned me off immediately

:nsfw :lol :japancry

Holy crap, wtf Japan?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #772 on: January 10, 2012, 07:22:57 PM »
:lol
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #773 on: January 10, 2012, 08:21:30 PM »
I can see how that might seem strange out of context.

Me?  I can't stop laughing  :lol

one of the big jokes with aquarion is having robot GATTAI be a play on human GATTAI aka. sex
[close]
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 08:23:14 PM by Bebpo »

« Reply #774 on: January 10, 2012, 08:24:31 PM »
What the shit.

Yoko Kanno + MECHA cannot cancel that shit out.

one of the big jokes with aquarion is having robot GATTAI be a play on human GATTAI aka. sex

No shit. They even showed the penetration in that clip.
野球

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #775 on: January 10, 2012, 08:27:36 PM »
I can see how that might seem strange out of context.

Me?  I can't stop laughing  :lol

[close]

Vandread did it better. :smug
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #776 on: January 10, 2012, 08:31:29 PM »
What the shit.

Yoko Kanno + MECHA cannot cancel that shit out.

::)

This is a show about PUNCHING PEOPLE INTO THE MOON.  You're taking it too seriously.

« Reply #777 on: January 10, 2012, 08:37:03 PM »
If you can hate on Macross F, I can hate on Aquarion.
野球

Bebpo

« Reply #778 on: January 10, 2012, 08:52:34 PM »
But I don't hate Macross F!

I just don't care for Macross much in general because Planes != Giant Robots to me
[close]

« Reply #779 on: January 10, 2012, 09:00:01 PM »
;)
[close]
野球