Author Topic: Sales Bore | Media Create And Other Sale Numbers |OT|  (Read 1197698 times)

a slime appears

• retro king
Why can't they go back to making FF like in the 32 bit age.

Pre rendered backgrounds etc.

That would look gorgeous in HD and it wouldn't cost that much money either!

before going back to make a FF like in the 32 bit age, they should go back to make FF game in the first place

I laff'd

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
I dont get it

Cerveza mas fina

• filler

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
The only thing I get from that is that AAA is fucked beyond saving.

I dont get it
The excuse for FF13 being Tempest-RPG without any towns was that it was difficult to do in HD, i.e. SE was/is so in-efficient that they couldn't afford to have any.

Himu

Post a release calendar full of :zzz worthy AAA games no one here is going to play brehs
IYKYK

SantaC

would gotten a PS4 if it was backwards compatible. But nope, guess I gotta hold onto my PS3 for Persona 5, Tales of Xilila 2 and Tales of Zesteria.

So many good jrpgs left to buy.

Rahxephon91

Transistor should be pretty damn good. It sure looks colorful.

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
Bastion was a beautiful snorefest. Expecting the same out of Transistor.
Unzip

Raban

• The baby...
I hope that's not the case, but I'm not holding my breath.
SRY

hampster

With Child of Light at the end of the month and Transistor in May, its a good time to be a person who enjoys shallow yet exceptionally pretty games :)
Zzz

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
Bastion was horrible.

That narrator  :yuck

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
With Child of Light at the end of the month and Transistor in May, its a good time to be a person who enjoys shallow yet exceptionally pretty games :)

Pretty much.
Unzip

MCD

• Fastest selling shit

magus

• LIKES FF7
Bastion was horrible.

THE POSTER POSTED A VULGAR IMPRESSION OF AN INDIE GAME, HE GOT REPLIED WITH AN UNFUNNY ATTEMPT AT PARODY
<----

archie4208

PS4 gets a bunch of Steam sloppy seconds.  Woohoo.

Bastion was horrible.

I spent more money on the Bastion announcer for Dota 2 than the actual game.   :goty2

Takao

Is Wolfestein a shooter with Doge's cousin???

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Is Wolfestein a shooter with Doge's cousin???

Yes.
dog

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
I've only played the demo of Bastion... didn't seem that bad but wasn't too compelling. When it comes to indie XBLA games that are 2D and heavily inspired by Japanese action RPGs, I had more fun with the Wakfu demo :P

Is it even worth it to play Bastion at this point?
^_^

Still nothing on either system that I want.

Hooray for the PS3 still seeing lots of future releases.
野球

Mupepe

• Icon
I got rid of my ps4 yesterday. I was offered more than what I paid and I hadn't turned it on in weeks. Nothing except ff xiv is coming out for it that I can't get on the x1. I guess I'm back to being just an xbot again

cool breeze

Still nothing on either system that I want.

Hooray for the PS3 still seeing lots of future releases.

I already have a PS4 and there's only Destiny that interests me this year, and I'd much rather play it on PC.

first years tend to be shaky (wii excluded, being an extension of the gamecube) but it seems worse this time around.

DCharlieJP

• the ex-XFE, now 3rd in-line for SFE
  • Icon
The Show, give me The Show.

Now.
O=X

a slime appears

• retro king
There's no software available on the new systems that make them worth buying and there won't be until this holiday. I own and both next-gen systems but even then I cannot recommend the console to anyone and my livelihood depends on their success.

That's actually pretty disconcerting, I think.

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
The first year usually belongs to interesting B-games while the big boys are winding up.  Retail console B-games are mostly dead now, so this is the outcome.

interesting B-games are all on mobile now
I mean, something like Monument Valley would have been XBLA wankery just 5 years ago
and have you PLAYED Hitman Go?
乱学者

Himu

Monument Valley is basically Echochrome: The Colorful Ripoff, so the comparison to xbla wankery really isn't off the mark.

PS4 still doesn't have an exclusive racing game out. Racing games on new console tradition. That is how far we have fallen.
IYKYK

cool breeze

360 still had some notable "next gen" games during its first months, like Oblivion and GRAW, and before the PS3 released.

other than launch games and infamous, ps4 and xbox one are dead until maybe august, depending on what's shown at E3.  for multiplatform next gen games I think there's only Batman in fall.

Takao

something like Monument Valley would've been echochrome five years ago

Himu

Mobile is catching up in quality, and fast.

Also, I kinda disagree with Oscar about the B games being big in the first year. Then again, I usually buy systems on year 2 or year 3 when there's games I want out. Like, I know with ps2, there was nothing out for a long time. ZOE1 came out a full year after ps2 came out. There was Tekken Tag Tournament and that came out in Ocotober 2000, but Onimusha also came out March 2001, Dark Cloud came out in May 2001. I don't think ps2 was worth buying until summer 2001, and by 2002 it was must have as all the big boys came out Fall 2001.

So it took ps2 roughly a year and a half to get going, from March 2000 to September 2001 (when Devil May Cry came out).

I think realistically speaking, we shouldn't expect the new consoles to be good until like 2015 at the bare minimum.
IYKYK

a slime appears

• retro king
The first year usually belongs to interesting B-games while the big boys are winding up.  Retail console B-games are mostly dead now, so this is the outcome.

I'd say what we're getting are A-studios working on B-games because there's no time or budget for the platform holders to authorize those kinds of expenses early on. ALSO A LOT OF PORTS.

What we're really seeing are third party publishers, usually on-board with every new generation, really taking a step back and asking themselves if the cost investment is worth releasing a game for a ridiculously small pool of people. They've been enjoying a massive consumer base for years, why shift gears suddenly?

Also I find it hilarious that the "handheld ghetto" publishing strategy has taken over the game industry. What used to be a secret to getting rich quick to fund your big console games is now the status quo for the publishing community at large.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 02:19:25 PM by a slime appears »

There's not even a shitty Gundam game out for the PS4. Just a nebulous announcement of one coming sometime in the future. That would get me to buy a PS4.
野球

Tasty

This "it needs to sell 10 mil copies or we don't greenlight it" mentality of the pubs is getting incredibly annoying.

Tasty

Well that's more to my point. Stop giving a small number of games huge budgets, pubs. Make more games with smaller budgets instead. Less risk, more diversity. Everyone wins! Other than dudebros of course. Fuck dudebros.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
They buy a lot of games, unfortunately. Live by the dudebro, die by the dudebro.

Takao

Oh man, ATV Offroad Fury. That's a blast from the past. Sony released a tonne of those.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
So far, I've been enjoying small budget games more than the one big budget game I played this year [Thief].
dog

Tasty

So far, I've been enjoying small budget games more than the one big budget game I played this year [Thief].

I'd question the tastes of anyone for whom this wasn't the case.

Indies. :rejoice

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon

I generally enjoy sampling from the pupu platter of small budget indie shit, but I've found that I need a "lifestyle" type game to sink a shit ton of grinding time into. Shit like D3, PAD, possibly MLB the Show.
yar

Raban

• The baby...

I'd question the tastes of anyone for whom this wasn't the case.

Indies. :rejoice
I was gonna list how I'm an exception to this but then I remembered you, and nearly everyone on this board, already question my taste so I guess I don't need to bother :lol
SRY

Takao

A trend I've noticed to start off this gen are boxed releases of things that should be DD-only. Apparently there are physical PS4 versions of The Pinball Arcade, Putty Squad, and Trials Fusion. The latter might do decently because of the brand, but I don't know why anyone thought the first two should be on a BD.

Tasty

I generally enjoy sampling from the pupu platter of small budget indie shit, but I've found that I need a "lifestyle" type game to sink a shit ton of grinding time into. Shit like D3, PAD, possibly MLB the Show.

Agree with this. Monhan and Pokemans :rejoice

headwalk

• brutal deluxe

i have migratory paths for which game i dump the majority of my time in to. it was dota until a month or two ago when me and my friends all started finding our way back to counterstrike and i've never been happier.

it just never stops giving.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon

Agree with this. Monhan and Pokemans :rejoice

yar

Tasty

Embrace your inner :expert

Himu

Mobile is catching up in quality, and fast.

Also, I kinda disagree with Oscar about the B games being big in the first year. Then again, I usually buy systems on year 2 or year 3 when there's games I want out. Like, I know with ps2, there was nothing out for a long time. ZOE1 came out a full year after ps2 came out. There was Tekken Tag Tournament and that came out in Ocotober 2000, but Onimusha also came out March 2001, Dark Cloud came out in May 2001. I don't think ps2 was worth buying until summer 2001, and by 2002 it was must have as all the big boys came out Fall 2001.

So it took ps2 roughly a year and a half to get going, from March 2000 to September 2001 (when Devil May Cry came out).

I think realistically speaking, we shouldn't expect the new consoles to be good until like 2015 at the bare minimum.

I never said they were big.  I said that it's what people survived on in year one of prior gens.  For example, on PS2, stuff like Smuggler's Run, Red Faction, Timesplitters, Kessen, ATV Off-road Fury, Ring of Red, MDK2, and so on.  All decent B-games that helped plug the gaps between bigger releases, which is something we obviously don't have happening this time.  Was it worth buying for those?  Probably not, but if you had the console already, they were worth buying.

Like, I don't know what you're disagreeing with here.  B-games have almost died out as retail products on consoles, that's pretty much a fact.  B-games give people something to play in the absence of A-games, not really arguable.  The first year of a system's release is usually short on A-games, also a fact.

They were important for plugging holes, which is how something like Smuggler's Run ends up selling over 600k.  They're not here now, so things feel more empty for day one owners.

true enough.

b-games are extremely lacking these days. I forgot about Smuggler's Run.
IYKYK

Himu

I think there's more choice than ever with games these days. I don't like most AAA games, so I don't play AAA games. For my tastes, most of my most played games this gen have been dd. Mobile is starting to pick up too and I'll probably be mobile only for a few months sometimes next year looking at its current trajectory with a few console helpings. :yeshrug
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 04:10:01 AM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

Himu

I forgot bout all those games. Yeah, ps4/xbox one schedule is nothing like that. Wow.
IYKYK

Himu

Definitely not disputing that.
IYKYK

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
I think there's more choice than ever with games these days. I don't like most AAA games, so I don't play AAA games. For my tastes, most of my most played games this gen have been dd. Mobile is starting to pick up too and I'll probably be mobile only for a few months sometimes next year looking at its current trajectory with a few console helpings. :yeshrug

more choice than ever, but it's also scattered across more platforms than ever.  it's kind of a problem situation.

i have more choice than ever on a single platform.

gaming will sort itself out, it's proprietary gaming devices that are fucked.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
Spread across platforms but seriously dudes:

1. You have a phone
2. You have a pc/laptop

So it's not so bad.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
The PC version of Dark Souls 2 seems to be selling pretty well.

PC wins again, suck it Console fegs.

No, but really: I'm wondering how many of those are PC people that waited, how many are double-dippers/"superior version" and how many are "GfWL EW" people that bought it due to steamworks.

Still, good brisk first-day player count for them. Hopefully it goes higher over the course of the week and even higher during sales.

archie4208

I think the playerbase will peak after this weekend.  It's still primarily a single player game.  But ~60k concurrents is pretty crazy, especially considering DS1 peaked at 10k.  (Granted that was a late and godawful port).

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
I think the playerbase will peak after this weekend.  It's still primarily a single player game.  But ~60k concurrents is pretty crazy, especially considering DS1 peaked at 10k.  (Granted that was a late and godawful port).

The PC version of DS1 sold around 300k.

And DS2 has peaked at 68k concurrent so far today.
dog

Pringo

The PC version of DS1 sold around 300k.

You're way off here. It sold approximately 1.3 million on PC.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/04/steam-gauge-addressing-your-questions-and-concerns/2/

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
The last official numbers said that the game, overall, had sold 2.37 million worldwide as of April 2013 [the PC version was August 2012]. So, either Ars Technica's estimate is way off, or it sold a lot more copies on Steam between April 2013 and now. Maybe Oscar's got more details, but that's all I can dig up.
dog

Pringo

or it sold a lot more copies on Steam between April 2013 and now

I think that's quite possible. The game was on sale for $5.99 a few times between April 2013 and now where I'm assuming it sold quite a few copies.

http://www.steamprices.com/us/app/211420/dark-souls-prepare-to-die-edition

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
And it still hasn't even been officially released yet.
dog

Pringo

April 2014 NPD

Notes:
-"PS4 software combined with Xbox One software sales are up over 40 percent compared to sales of the PS3 and Xbox 360 through their first six months. Wii U software sales were up over last year by over 80 percent," said NPD analyst Liam Callahan.
-Xbox One has an attach rate of 3.
-Xbox One sold 447,000 games.
-Xbox 360 sold 2.2 million games.
-The Xbox One and Xbox 360 combined accounted for 53% of all software sales.

Hardware:

Xbox One: 115K
Xbox 360: 71K

Notes:
-"Life to date, sales of PS4 and Xbox One hardware have more than doubled the combined sales of PS3 and 360 hardware through their first six months of sales,” said NPD analyst Liam Callahan.
-"Xbox One continues to outpace Xbox 360 sales in the same historical time period by selling over 76 percent more units in the first six months on the market." - Microsoft

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
I'm guessing by the position Minecraft is in software sales are  :paul
vin