Author Topic: The Game Crowdfunding Thread  (Read 293400 times)

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
Re: Kickstarter mania aka Give me your money plebes
« Reply #420 on: April 14, 2012, 11:40:42 AM »
The design docs for the Jane Jenson kickstarter are up along with the voting.  Voting concludes on Sunday morning.

As I expected and said previously, Moebius is destroying the other two at like 70% votes, with Gray Matter 2 getting 25% and Farming Adventure getting 5%.  Gray Matter didn't get word of mouth and Moebius is quote "a sci-fi Fringe version of Gabriel Knight" which is a very crowd appeasing statement.

It looks like she might hit 300k and Moebius will get made.  Really don't see it hitting 600k, so GM2 is gonna be out.

I'll probably jump on this kickstarter.  Will try to play Gray Matter first.  And from that poll I would've picked that sci-fi adventure game too. 

Tangentially related but an alien inspired adventure game that plays like clock tower would be awesome.  One might exist and I've just never heard of it.  Echo night beyond and enemy zero capture some of it.

Live A Live (Square, SFC) has a virtually combat-free chapter where you are a robot on a spaceship trying to escape from an evil AI and an alien behemoth... it's basically 2001 and Alien thrown in a blender.
^_^

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #421 on: April 15, 2012, 02:24:51 AM »
For additional money, I wonder if the Shadowrun group would switch up to something other than Friz Quadrata...

Haha ... I was like "dude, you're the definitive SF RPG franchise and you're using the WoW font? learn to typeface"

Yeah, well, actually that's the typeface /they/ started with first. Don't blame me if Blizzard apes that the way they aped Games Workshop characters in their early work.  ;)

Himu

« Reply #422 on: April 15, 2012, 02:31:30 AM »
Kickstarter is one of the coolest things ever. This is the best thing to happen to games in a LONG TIME if these titles really deliver.
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #423 on: April 15, 2012, 04:51:17 AM »
Kickstarter is one of the coolest things ever. This is the best thing to happen to games in a LONG TIME if these titles really deliver.

*looks into crystal ball*

You probably want to go back to wishing for Shenmue 3 instead
yar

Himu

« Reply #424 on: April 15, 2012, 04:59:51 AM »
Not really. Shenmue III would likely suck looking at Online. I don't like the direction Suzuki was supposedly taking the series.
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #425 on: April 15, 2012, 05:44:29 AM »
Oh.

My.

GOD.

Just read the past couple of pages.  HoF this already.
yar

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #426 on: April 16, 2012, 02:12:04 PM »
So So glad I clicked on this thread.
©ZH

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #427 on: April 16, 2012, 02:24:11 PM »
Jane Jensen Game - $174,289 out of 300,000 - 32 Days to Go
Leisure Suit Larry -  $351,518 out of 500,000 - 15 Days to Go

And there's this: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/willieshi/island-visitors
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #429 on: April 16, 2012, 03:35:16 PM »
The magic is in your mind.
©@©™

Timber

« Reply #430 on: April 16, 2012, 03:38:15 PM »
So inXile made some last-minute changes to the $30 tier to get people to up their pledge. It now comes with an Avellone-authored novella and a video dev blog. Kind of a sleazy move not to make a bunch of videos available to half your backers considering the precedent set by Double Fine.
w/e

Takao

« Reply #431 on: April 16, 2012, 03:41:31 PM »
Meet the team:
Willie Shi is a creative entrepreneur with over 18 years of experience in the web, mobile and gaming industry. He learn new stuffs super lightning fast, He is at least 10 times faster than most programmers/developers. Additionally, he cofounded 8land group in 2009.
we are based in heart of silicon valley.

:bow:

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #432 on: April 16, 2012, 03:42:10 PM »
Willie Shi>>>Jonathon Blow

"Willie Shi is a creative entrepreneur with over 18 years of experience in the web, mobile and gaming industry. He learn new stuffs super lightning fast, He is at least 10 times faster than most programmers/developers."
乱学者

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #433 on: April 16, 2012, 03:43:58 PM »
So inXile made some last-minute changes to the $30 tier to get people to up their pledge. It now comes with an Avellone-authored novella and a video dev blog. Kind of a sleazy move not to make a bunch of videos available to half your backers considering the precedent set by Double Fine.

I don't think that's "sleazy" at all - put the videos (and the physical copy, and the digital/print versions of the novella, and...) at whatever tier you like.
乱学者

Timber

« Reply #434 on: April 16, 2012, 03:46:59 PM »
Haha this Island Visitor thing is amazing.

"How well the game gonna be designed, it all depend on how much we could pledge on kickstarter. the more money we get, the greater the game!"

If we merely meet our goal, we will fuck this up!
w/e

Timber

« Reply #435 on: April 16, 2012, 03:48:05 PM »
I don't think that's "sleazy" at all - put the videos (and the physical copy, and the digital/print versions of the novella, and...) at whatever tier you like.

I would probably feel the same way if I had pledged more than 15 bucks  :'(
w/e

Timber

« Reply #436 on: April 16, 2012, 03:54:17 PM »
"you are now become a hero of Island visitors. and most importantly, you will be forever a history of Island Visitors! At this level, that is what make this game different from the crowed."

"plus your voice heard. let's make this game together and better. make a fancy story of yours. if your story has been chosen as one of our game scene, your name will be credited in our game design session. It definitely look good on your resume."

omg
w/e

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #437 on: April 16, 2012, 04:12:06 PM »
So it's going to be an adult vn title with you and angelina jolie on an island

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #438 on: April 16, 2012, 04:35:40 PM »
You have to fight mad crazy animals.
©@©™

Takao

« Reply #439 on: April 16, 2012, 05:53:43 PM »
if you guys give me money i will maybe give you something in return

but that something is a surprise

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #440 on: April 16, 2012, 06:02:25 PM »
Are you a famous game developer with a long track record of awesome games?
dog

Takao

« Reply #441 on: April 16, 2012, 06:10:45 PM »

I am a not famous game player with a long track record of playing awesome games. That's got to count for something, right?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #442 on: April 17, 2012, 12:37:46 AM »
Wasteland 2 kickstarter is on its last stretch. Here's hoping they reach their $3 million goal!

Looks like it's going to be really close. With 7 hours to go, they're sitting at about $2,920,000 [including Paypal money].
dog

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #443 on: April 17, 2012, 01:36:34 AM »

No, but neither is anyone who has done a kickstarter yet, because people with those qualifications get lots of money thrown at them by publishers to develop games.  Let's be real here.
yar

Damian79

« Reply #444 on: April 17, 2012, 02:05:25 AM »
notsureifserious.gif

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #445 on: April 17, 2012, 02:52:18 AM »
creepyoldobvioustroll.gif

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #446 on: April 17, 2012, 02:55:25 AM »
None of the people who have gone the kickstarter route have a LONG TRACK RECORD OF AWESOME GAMES.  Wasteland 2 guy worked on... Wasteland 1.  Fuck, even Schafer's track record is spotty, although I do believe that I will heartily enjoy whatever adventure game they shit out. 

Sorry to rape you guy's parade and spoil TEH REVOLOOSHUN before it's even begun, but yeah, facts be facts and shit.
yar

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #447 on: April 17, 2012, 02:57:17 AM »
Who would you consider devs that have a long record of awesome games then?

Damian79

« Reply #448 on: April 17, 2012, 02:59:42 AM »
Ok now i know you are trolling.

Even if kickstarter's current dev pool isnt that great.  Plenty of awesome developers cant makes games any more especially when it comes to rpgs.  And if they do they have to try and cater to the masses with shit like Fable.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #449 on: April 17, 2012, 03:52:47 AM »
Ok now i know you are trolling.

Even if kickstarter's current dev pool isnt that great.  Plenty of awesome developers cant makes games any more especially when it comes to rpgs.  And if they do they have to try and cater to the masses with shit like Fable.

I am 100% not trolling.  I am really looking forward to a lot of the games that will come out of this process, too, exactly because I grew up playing awesome old school rpgs that don't get made anymore.  I will play the Banner Saga and probably love the shit out of it.  If you guys are expecting polished, perfect products to come out of this, you're deluding yourselves.  Play what comes out and if it tickles your nerd prostate, love it warts and all.  But don't lie to yourselves, you'll only be buying into the GET HYPE, GET LET DOWN bullshit that gamers love to engage in.  You'd think we'd learn, but nope.  Guess this shit is fun for some people.

Momo- I'm a hypercritical bastard, so probably uh... Mikami and uh... Mikami.  Everyone else tends to let out a stinker every once in a while (Aonuma) or is no longer on top of their game (Miyamoto, Bioware, pretty much everyone who used to be awesome).  I have really enjoyed the past several games that Bethesda have put out, but I am not going to sit here and tell you that they're perfect or for everyone.  They've got some issues and not everyone enjoys their games.
yar

Damian79

« Reply #450 on: April 17, 2012, 04:08:55 AM »
It can still be polished ie not buggy, it definitely wont be high end games thoguh.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #451 on: April 17, 2012, 04:13:36 AM »
Right, I agree.  Still, I don't think snickering at the idea that the Kickstarter dev community is full of people WITH A LONG TRACK RECORD OF AWESOME GAMES is trolling.
yar

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #452 on: April 17, 2012, 04:16:07 AM »
You're basically going off reputation and not actual records there =P

Sure the kickstarter guys are lower profile than Mikami, Kamiya, Romero and the like, but some of their records quality wise surpass a lot of well known devs. Their sales record/potential is the reason they have to kickstart instead of having money thrown at them, not their lack of quality.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #453 on: April 17, 2012, 04:35:14 AM »
I think you missed the part where I said

Momo- I'm a hypercritical bastard

So let me lay it out for you:  the entire sum of all of the work done by all of the kickstarter devs isn't as good as Resident Evil 4.  You're free to disagree, but you'll be wrong, and you'll also be a tremendous weeaboo regardless, so whatever.
yar

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #454 on: April 17, 2012, 04:37:01 AM »
Also, I might be bored and trolling now.
yar

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #455 on: April 17, 2012, 06:09:41 AM »
I think you missed the part where I said

Momo- I'm a hypercritical bastard

So let me lay it out for you:  the entire sum of all of the work done by all of the kickstarter devs isn't as good as Resident Evil 4.  You're free to disagree, but you'll be wrong, and you'll also be a tremendous weeaboo regardless, so whatever.
Me arguing that a bunch of low profile western devs have a better quality record than well known Eastern ones makes me a weaboo? :lol
I wasnt sure if you meant hypercritical as in judging harshly or hypocritical so I pretty much just said stuff. 
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 06:11:15 AM by Momo »

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #456 on: April 17, 2012, 08:26:31 AM »
Grim Dawn is an action role-playing game for PC and a spiritual successor to Titan Quest. For the past two years a small team of former Iron Lore veterans at Crate Entertainment have been developing Grim Dawn with their own, improved version of the Iron Lore engine and tools; the same technology used to create Titan Quest.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crateentertainment/grim-dawn

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #457 on: April 17, 2012, 10:06:54 AM »
I think it's fair to say that Brian Fargo, Tim Schafer, and Jane Jensen are developers that a fair number of people know about and have a track record for developing/producing more games than one that people really liked.

Edit: Oh, I see that this has already run its course. Never mind, then!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 10:09:51 AM by Great Rumbler »
dog

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #458 on: April 17, 2012, 03:27:46 PM »
You guys are right, I can't wait for this wave of games to come out and be objectively the best of all time ever.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
You guys are fucking dumb.  Except Oscar.
[close]
yar

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #459 on: April 17, 2012, 03:32:30 PM »
relevant_image_macro.jpg
dog

Fifstar

« Reply #460 on: April 17, 2012, 05:09:53 PM »
Are Jane Jensen's games held in high regard in the USA? They were always trashed in german gamemagazines, especially in comparison to LucasArts adventure games.
Gulp

Bebpo

« Reply #461 on: April 17, 2012, 05:43:46 PM »
GK1 is for sure.  Won GoTY in some mags.

GK2 less so.  Was awesome, but fmv turned off some.

GK3 even more less so.  Was pretty good, but 3d turned off some.

Gray Matter, no one played it so no one reviewed it.  Except the Xbox magazines who played it using a X360 controller and bitched about how it sucks for a X360 game.

So...sorta.

I think there's a wiiiide disconnect between German adventure game fans and English adventure game fans although I blame it on the language gaps and cultural differences in writing humor.  Some of the really highly rated German adventure games get trashed in America and vice versa.

Bebpo

« Reply #462 on: April 17, 2012, 05:46:39 PM »
I think the best adventure games I played in the first half of the VGA 90s (pre-Full Throttle/Grim Fandango) were Gabriel Knight 1, Kings Quest VI, Sam & Max, and Monkey Island.  I liked Sierra/Lucasarts fairly equally. 

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #463 on: April 17, 2012, 05:48:29 PM »
Are Jane Jensen's games held in high regard in the USA? They were always trashed in german gamemagazines, especially in comparison to LucasArts adventure games.

Weird. Over here King's Quest VI is generally regarded as one of the best of the series, and the Gabriel Knight series (especially 1 & 2) are regarded as some of the best adventure games.

Here's Adventure Gamers' Top 100 Adventure Games list:
http://www.adventuregamers.com/article/id,1401/p,22

They have GK2 at #3, GK1 at #16, GK3 at #32, and King's Quest VI at #13.
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #464 on: April 17, 2012, 05:48:40 PM »
What are some adventure games that are highly rated in Germany?

I think the best adventure games I played in the first half of the VGA 90s (pre-Full Throttle/Grim Fandango) were Gabriel Knight 1, Kings Quest VI, Sam & Max, and Monkey Island.  I liked Sierra/Lucasarts fairly equally. 

I agree, to some extent, though I'd take LucasArts overall. But Sierra had a much broader ranger of titles and far more series going on than LA.
dog

Fifstar

« Reply #465 on: April 17, 2012, 06:03:55 PM »
I think the magazines I read the most back then had a connection to Lucasarts, guy that wrote for two of them also translated some Lucasarts games before, might have had something to do with it.

But generally, Monkey Island 2, Indy 4, Grim Fandango and Day Of The Tentacle are regarded as the absolute top adventure games here, while the Sierra games are seen as "cool scenarios but illogical puzzles and unfair (mostly in regard to puzzles that lead to death)".
Gulp

Timber

« Reply #466 on: April 17, 2012, 06:17:13 PM »
But generally, Monkey Island 2, Indy 4, Grim Fandango and Day Of The Tentacle are regarded as the absolute top adventure games here, while the Sierra games are seen as "cool scenarios but illogical puzzles and unfair (mostly in regard to puzzles that lead to death)".

I'm moving to Germany.
w/e

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #467 on: April 17, 2012, 06:22:19 PM »
I think the magazines I read the most back then had a connection to Lucasarts, guy that wrote for two of them also translated some Lucasarts games before, might have had something to do with it.

All those games are doodoo. Shivers > all that wank
fat

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #468 on: April 18, 2012, 03:54:12 AM »
Is it possible to play GK3 on a modern gaming rig? It is the only one I never played.

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #469 on: April 18, 2012, 06:57:39 AM »
not exactly a kickstarter project but this looks like the most revelant thread to put this in it so....

http://guysfromandromeda.com/new-game/

oh and also

http://tmd.alienharmony.com/rw/index.htm
<----

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #471 on: April 18, 2012, 10:07:17 AM »
Is it possible to play GK3 on a modern gaming rig? It is the only one I never played.

Yes, and it's $6 on GOG too.
©@©™

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #472 on: April 18, 2012, 10:20:43 AM »
Space Quest :bow

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #473 on: April 18, 2012, 10:24:57 AM »
people should support grim dawn
USA

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #475 on: April 18, 2012, 01:35:53 PM »
His will be the first "big" Kickstarter to not get funding, and the only one of those that have been started so far. Both Leisure Suit Larry and Jane Jensen still have a way to go, but they both are close enough and have enough time that I'll be really surprised if they don't hit their goal.

Edit: Forgot about Republique. That's unlikely to make it either.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 01:43:57 PM by Great Rumbler »
dog

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #476 on: April 18, 2012, 02:03:58 PM »
I would rather kickstart this:

Wollstonecraft

A Snicketesque girl-power adventure featuring Ada Lovelace and Mary Shelley at 11 and 14 in 1826 London, for ages 8-12.
©@©™

Bebpo

« Reply #477 on: April 18, 2012, 02:09:11 PM »

Warning, it looks like this:

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #478 on: April 18, 2012, 02:50:23 PM »
I do not think I want to play GK3 anymore

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #479 on: April 18, 2012, 03:57:42 PM »
Grim Dawn > Torchlight 2 > Path of Exile.

Shit could be good.