Author Topic: Apple to Mac users: "No games for you! (unless they're from the App Store!)"  (Read 1569 times)

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
http://gamasutra.com/view/news/40354/Next_Mac_update_blocks_unapproved_nonApp_Store_games_by_default.php

Apple's next major operating system update for Macs will, by default, block users from running games and applications not downloaded from the Mac App Store or created by a developer registered with the company.

A new feature in the update called Gatekeeper automatically prevents users from running games that are from unregistered developers and that they've downloaded from the web -- similar to how iPhone or iPad owners can't install apps that don't originate from the App Store.

Users can choose to remove that restriction, increase security by allowing only Mac App Store programs to run, or load an app anyway by right-clicking on it and hitting open, but when they first install Mountain Lion, Gatekeeper will refuse uncertified, non-Mac App Store titles by default.

So basically everything on Steam won't run unless the person makes a configuration change to their system and it's not known how far buried in the system Apple will hide the option yet.
CBG

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
what a fucking joke

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
If only Steve Jobs were here to save us from this tyranny.

Oh wait, I don't an Apple computer, so I don't care.
dog

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
lol come the fuck on apple
püp

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
Maybe everyone will just turn that shit off first thing, like UAC

...probably not tho

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
If only Steve Jobs were here to save us from this tyranny.

Oh wait, I don't an Apple computer, so I don't care.

lol. Steve Jobs is all for this kind of shit. He would have charged his own mother to publish an app to the app store

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
Maybe everyone will just turn that shit off first thing, like UAC

...probably not tho

well people like you and me would know about this BS and turn it off straight away.

The majority of Mac using plebs though...

For instance I know someone who knows someone who bought a new Mac to replace his iMac which was about ~3 years old, as he thought his iPhone 4 would not be compatible with it. Someone at the Mac Store actually told him this was the case. WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
The sad thing is that in the last year, there have been a lot more PC/Mac simultaneous releases thanks to SteamPlay.
CBG

Himu

Oh my god, fuck you apple
IYKYK

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
No doubt Apple will have a 5 minute unskippable video detailing how to select between the three different boxes choosing your security level.

I fail to see the problem, this is incredibly transparent. Yeah it's a double edged sword for sure. On one hand it does provide a great deal of security, and on the other it plays right into Apples pocket pushing more people towards the App store. Fuck the ethics of it though, MS should 100% do the same thing. If you don't like commercial sensibilities go download linux....
◕‿◕

Tasty

Lol just got through an argument about this in the Chrome thread of all places. Didn't think about its effect on Steam.

This definitely won't be an end to Apple's locking down of OS X, in fact it's just the beginning (well, the real beginning was the Mac App Store.)

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
How far do you think they're willing to take it with OSX? OSX is very open relative to windows, adding some layer like this for everyday users changes nothing for me or for anyone else who really cares about the 'openness' of the system. Remember at it's core it is Darwin which means I can use all the open source toolchains I was so used to from years of using *nix systems.

edit: also I think it's pretty safe to say that stuff installed through Steam will be on the list of identified developers
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 11:09:43 PM by quietID »
◕‿◕

chronovore

• relapsed dev
No doubt Apple will have a 5 minute unskippable video detailing how to select between the three different boxes choosing your security level.

(Image removed from quote.)

I fail to see the problem, this is incredibly transparent. Yeah it's a double edged sword for sure. On one hand it does provide a great deal of security, and on the other it plays right into Apples pocket pushing more people towards the App store. Fuck the ethics of it though, MS should 100% do the same thing. If you don't like commercial sensibilities go download linux....

Oh, my. A solution. Not only that, but there will likely be a message when installers run, telling users where to change the settings, and a button to take them directly there.

I should have expected nothing less than this from a Manabyte thread. Dude is the king of empty bombast and FUD.

Himu

:american

In apple I trust
IYKYK

Rman

Read before you post.  lol.

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
Can you not read or something? It allows any executable signed by a registered developer, not just App Store stuff.

I fail to see the problem, this is incredibly transparent. Yeah it's a double edged sword for sure. On one hand it does provide a great deal of security, and on the other it plays right into Apples pocket pushing more people towards the App store. Fuck the ethics of it though, MS should 100% do the same thing.

They kind of are, Windows 8 has an application reputation feature that can block (or make you jump through a hoop to run) downloaded executables that haven't built up a reputation and aren't signed by a developer who's built up a reputation.

QED

recursivelyenumerable

Can you not read or something? It allows any executable signed by a registered developer, not just App Store stuff. Getting a signing certificate from Apple is free and not dependent on App Store registration.

I fail to see the problem, this is incredibly transparent. Yeah it's a double edged sword for sure. On one hand it does provide a great deal of security, and on the other it plays right into Apples pocket pushing more people towards the App store. Fuck the ethics of it though, MS should 100% do the same thing.

They kind of are, Windows 8 has an application reputation feature that can warn about (or block outright, if it's configured that way by an admin) downloaded executables that haven't built up a reputation and aren't signed by a developer who's built up a reputation.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 12:17:13 PM by recursivelyenumerable »
QED

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
This really isn't any different than Windows Vista/7's UAC, where it's like HERP I DON'T WANT TO RUN THIS UNLESS YOU PUSH A BUTTON SAYING YOU WANT TO RUN THIS, WHICH YOU PROBABLY ALREADY DID OR IT WOULDN'T BE TRYING TO RUN.
©@©™

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
lol manabyte

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
if you can disable it, that's fine, but i'm not happy about UAC on my macbook   :maf

recursivelyenumerable

er, UAC on Windows is basically just running as standard user, which has been the default on Macs since OS X was first introduced hasn't it?  ???

These features are something different.
QED