Author Topic: The REAL Football Thread - EPL returns August 18  (Read 41550 times)

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
i hope swansea own those stupid rags. i hope we beat newcastle tho of course and qpr :piss

rags :piss
USA

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
that was a pretty terrible game i thought, just because united was garbage
AMC

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
its amazing how cisse is better than almost every premiere league striker this year and he cost only 8 million.

newcastle woudl be smart to keep him and really groom him to be the next shearer as long as he doesn't get demba ba-ed and be good for a few months then start producing nothing.
USA

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
also lol @ alan pardews reaction. it pains me to want to beat them so bad this sunday tho  :'(
USA

Himu

Re: The Soccer/Football Thread (EPL Playoffs!)
« Reply #244 on: May 02, 2012, 10:28:56 PM »
Still haven't watched the Man U and Man City game or yesterdays Liverpool game. Been avoiding this thread and all footie news source I browse so I don't get spoiled.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #245 on: May 03, 2012, 12:54:20 AM »
Finally watched Man U and Man City. Well deserved win City. Amazed I haven't been spoiled up to this point.
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #246 on: May 03, 2012, 01:02:27 AM »
So this Messi guy is Jordan status, huh

Himu

« Reply #247 on: May 03, 2012, 01:03:14 AM »
Forgot to mention about that Messi trick hat and that Real Madrid won the La Liga Cup. Anyone see that match?
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #248 on: May 03, 2012, 01:07:50 AM »
Messi hat trick:

GOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Atletico Bilbao and Real Madrid highlights:

http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos/athletic-bilbao-0-real-madrid-3-longer-highlights/

So this Messi guy is Jordan status, huh

68 Goals, 28 assists in 57 Games. Top scorer in Champion League and La Liga. Wouldn't say he's Jordan status yet, but considering his age, maybe you're right. (he's 24).
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 01:11:25 AM by Stringer Bell »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #249 on: May 03, 2012, 01:19:08 AM »
Awesome videos from this past week since I've been on blackout:

Muamba got a standing ovation after his collapse the other month. Beautiful.

Also, Real is doing a 40 million pound bid for Van Persie.
IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #250 on: May 03, 2012, 01:19:58 AM »
Messi is much bigger than Jordan, if talking "status as best in the sport" he has that already too.

Himu

« Reply #251 on: May 03, 2012, 01:24:10 AM »
IYKYK

Mandark

• Icon
Re: The Soccer/Football Thread (EPL Playoffs! Messi = Jordan of futbol)
« Reply #252 on: May 03, 2012, 02:02:29 AM »
Man, I'm not one of those cranks who will never talk about a current player as if they might be the greatest of all time, but that goal record doesn't in itself make him the footy MJ.  It's not like Gerd Muller was the consensus GOAT before this, or even in the conversation.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #253 on: May 03, 2012, 02:08:50 AM »
Man, I'm not one of those cranks who will never talk about a current player as if they might be the greatest of all time, but that goal record doesn't in itself make him the footy MJ.  It's not like Gerd Muller was the consensus GOAT before this, or even in the conversation.

god dammit, let a casual fan understand this sport in layman terms. Now, who is Kwame Brown of soccer, substituting a lack of hands with a lack of feet

Himu

« Reply #254 on: May 03, 2012, 02:15:44 AM »

Exactly why I said I don't think he's the MJ of the sport yet, but I added it to the title to get people posting in this thread and it worked.  :P
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #255 on: May 03, 2012, 02:22:34 AM »

god dammit, let a casual fan understand this sport in layman terms. Now, who is Kwame Brown of soccer, substituting a lack of hands with a lack of feet

PD, there's a lot of players people consider the GOAT in soccer: start with Zinedine Zidane, Ronaldo, Pele;etc.

People are jumping on the Messi GOAT hype train but many still say the same about Ronaldo and Zidane.
IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #256 on: May 03, 2012, 03:25:04 AM »
As much as I hate Ronaldo, he has made a difference in 3 different clubs already and for Portugal. Messi? He has so far only been good at Barca. I haven't seen him play good for Argentina.

Himu

« Reply #257 on: May 03, 2012, 03:27:06 AM »
i'm talking about this ronaldo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronaldo

though i prefer cristiano to messi as well

:bow
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 03:29:04 AM by Stringer Bell »
IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #258 on: May 03, 2012, 03:51:46 AM »
I knew you were talking bout fat Ronaldo!

I met him once you know, I ran onto the pitch when he was warming up to play against my hometown team and asked him for a autograph. This was in 96. He snubbed me though.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #259 on: May 03, 2012, 06:10:54 AM »
Look you purposefully obtuse buttholes.

Messi is the best football player playing right now, that is why I am calling him the Jordan of football, as Jordan was regarded as the best player playing during his career.

The GREATEST player of all time is an entirely and very long, hard, difficult conversation.

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #260 on: May 03, 2012, 08:44:20 AM »

:rofl
地平線

Himu

« Reply #261 on: May 03, 2012, 09:30:39 AM »

Messi is the best football player playing right now, that is why I am calling him the Jordan of football, as Jordan was regarded as the best player playing during his career.

The GREATEST player of all time is an entirely and very long, hard, difficult conversation.

Jordan is considered the GOAT basketball player, dude.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #262 on: May 03, 2012, 09:31:10 AM »
Messi is not the jordan of futbol, get your head out of you ass himu.

Exactly why I said I don't think he's the MJ of the sport yet, but I added it to the title to get people posting in this thread and it worked.  :P

I knew you were talking bout fat Ronaldo!

I met him once you know, I ran onto the pitch when he was warming up to play against my hometown team and asked him for a autograph. This was in 96. He snubbed me though.

Was he on hookers and blow then? How fat was he?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 09:36:03 AM by Stringer Bell »
IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #263 on: May 03, 2012, 09:42:55 AM »

Jordan is considered the GOAT basketball player, dude.
I'm talking specifically as to how Jordan was referred to during his career, Messi is comparable.

Himu

« Reply #264 on: May 03, 2012, 11:43:48 AM »
rofl so much anger. I love that.

One thing I can say about messi over the likes of Zidane, Pele, Ronaldo;etc is that I actually LIKE him. Like, personally. He seems like a good guy, he's not too cocky. At least that's my observation, though I could be wrong.

I think the Barcelona team in general is just pure class. When they lost to Real and Chelsea, they didn't have fits like Mourinho. No, they took it like men. I think that Pep had a good impact on Messi. When Pep retired as head coach of Barca, he just did it with pure class, explained his reasons, and never sounded like he was DESERVING of all these accolades. It's particularly interesting how he kicked Ronaldinho and Deco out of the club, especially because of their impact on the young Messi.

But I prefer watching Cristiano play more than Messi, he has more flash. But I can't say that I respect him more as a person.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 11:45:58 AM by Stringer Bell »
IYKYK

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #265 on: May 03, 2012, 03:01:07 PM »
As much as I hate Ronaldo, he has made a difference in 3 different clubs already and for Portugal. Messi? He has so far only been good at Barca. I haven't seen him play good for Argentina.

Huh?  Ronaldo was completely goalless in the qualifiers for 2010, and when the actual tournament rolled around he scored one goal.  Against North Korea.  There were a ton of stories about it.

Plus Messi did really well during the WC.  He basically gifted all of Higuain's goals and would have scored multiple times against Nigeria if Enyeama hadn't been standing on his head in goal.

In any case, I think club performance has to be considered a better indicator these days.  The WC comes once every four years, and you might get only two tournaments in the prime of your career, with only the guarantee of three games played in each.  With injuries, coaching disasters (France this last WC), and other random stuff it's really, really easy to underachieve in such a small sample size.  Even Pele left a tournament from being battered (in that case he was the MJ, and all the other teams were the Pistons implementing the Jordan Rules).

Himu

« Reply #266 on: May 03, 2012, 03:09:51 PM »
That's a great point. Since the WC is only once every 4 years and it's THE footy event, it's hard to other sports where they have their big event on an annual basis. Of course, there's still the Champions League, and other league play such as La Liga, EPL, Serie A;etc

In that aspect, Messi and Barca has clearly outdone other teams.

I mean, look at this:

Since Pep signed onto Barca, they won a total of 12 titles in just 4 years. That is insane.

IYKYK

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #267 on: May 03, 2012, 03:19:05 PM »
The obvious equivalent is the Olympics, where there are plenty of stories about favored athletes who could never quite win it in their two or three shots.

In one way it makes for a very compelling story, to have so few opportunities and to wait so long training and anticipating.  But it's unfair to label those who underachieved as losers and chokers, talk radio-style.  I honestly feel really bad every time I see a story about an athlete being injured just weeks before the Olympics, before they could participate in some sport where it's the only time they'd ever be on a large public stage.

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #268 on: May 03, 2012, 04:41:18 PM »
why does everyone forget about maradona  :'(
USA

Himu

« Reply #269 on: May 03, 2012, 05:11:06 PM »
The obvious equivalent is the Olympics, where there are plenty of stories about favored athletes who could never quite win it in their two or three shots.

In one way it makes for a very compelling story, to have so few opportunities and to wait so long training and anticipating.  But it's unfair to label those who underachieved as losers and chokers, talk radio-style.  I honestly feel really bad every time I see a story about an athlete being injured just weeks before the Olympics, before they could participate in some sport where it's the only time they'd ever be on a large public stage.

Yep. I'm really down that USA mens didn't make it to the olympics. Even Messi's Argentine team didn't make it.
IYKYK

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #270 on: May 03, 2012, 05:22:10 PM »
neither did englands though they had to join forces with wales and scotland to make a team. The olympics football are a joke really. It's more of a U-18 tournament so that s why the mens side didn't qualify
USA

Himu

« Reply #271 on: May 03, 2012, 05:24:04 PM »
I read about the Great Britain Olympic team and it sounds like a real cluster fuck and that the hosting country is hell bent on booing their own team. :lol
IYKYK

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #272 on: May 03, 2012, 05:25:08 PM »
nothing english people hate more than scots
USA

Himu

« Reply #273 on: May 03, 2012, 05:26:21 PM »
I dunno bout that. What about Ireland?  :D
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #274 on: May 03, 2012, 05:30:46 PM »
FOX Soccer posted this on their facebook.

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #275 on: May 03, 2012, 06:29:31 PM »
I find it REALLY hard to score in FIFA 12. like, the midfielders and defenders bunch up towards the goal and it seems it takes luck for me to score a goal. Then again, I play against the computer who is a cheating bastard.

IYKYK

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #276 on: May 03, 2012, 06:52:27 PM »
yeah play online. it's stupidly easy to cheese the keeper AI though even online if you just run onto the wings and cross down and shoot. the keeper isn't smart enough nor are the defenders to cover the strikers at the same time.
USA

Himu

« Reply #277 on: May 03, 2012, 08:57:24 PM »
I like going down the sidelines into the defender centre and trying to find holes in defense by wearing them out through passing but even that doesn't seem to be enough sometimes.

Maybe I should work on my crosses.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #278 on: May 03, 2012, 09:42:37 PM »
maradona was at the man u and man city match. he seemed pleased with city's win.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #279 on: May 03, 2012, 09:47:00 PM »
mother fucker went through 3 DEFENDERS.

IYKYK

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #280 on: May 03, 2012, 09:57:15 PM »
maradona was at the man u and man city match. he seemed pleased with city's win.

sergio agueros his son in law
USA

Himu

« Reply #281 on: May 03, 2012, 09:58:19 PM »
I agree about Cristiano. Not an all time great, but a great player nonetheless.

Who coached the Argentina national team?
IYKYK

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #282 on: May 03, 2012, 10:01:20 PM »
maradona
USA

Himu

« Reply #283 on: May 03, 2012, 10:01:44 PM »
This year? Even for the Olympics?
IYKYK

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #284 on: May 03, 2012, 10:03:39 PM »
oh i dont know theyre going ot lose anyways
USA

Himu

« Reply #285 on: May 03, 2012, 10:06:22 PM »
they didn't even qualify!
IYKYK

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #286 on: May 03, 2012, 10:18:06 PM »
more people are prob concerned with euro 2012 (obv not argentina) and world cup 2014 to deal with the olympics
USA

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #287 on: May 04, 2012, 04:06:21 AM »
yeah play online. it's stupidly easy to cheese the keeper AI though even online if you just run onto the wings and cross down and shoot. the keeper isn't smart enough nor are the defenders to cover the strikers at the same time.

... that's where most the goals come from in real soccer! ;)

Get down towards the byline and whip in a cross

I see there's an Englishman in the thread!

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #288 on: May 04, 2012, 05:53:32 AM »
Typical Ronaldo

Fifstar

« Reply #289 on: May 04, 2012, 06:05:10 AM »
Everybody knows the Best Footballer Of All Time is Kaiser Franz.
Gulp

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #290 on: May 04, 2012, 08:39:24 PM »

newcastles away kit for next year official i beliebe
USA

Himu

« Reply #291 on: May 05, 2012, 12:21:12 AM »
is your town really that rural that they have to take kit photos on a farm
IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #292 on: May 05, 2012, 07:57:57 AM »
Nice mountain :)

:rock

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #293 on: May 05, 2012, 09:04:42 AM »
Fucking FA cup starting later this year, kick off is 2:15am local time. First time in years I wont be watching live.
itm

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #294 on: May 05, 2012, 05:23:33 PM »
thank god liverpool lost hopefully kenny is sacked
USA

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #295 on: May 05, 2012, 06:08:25 PM »
that caroll header was a goal though

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #296 on: May 05, 2012, 06:17:33 PM »
u guys see this?

USA

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #297 on: May 05, 2012, 06:30:25 PM »
wtf?

whats the joke?

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #298 on: May 05, 2012, 06:31:15 PM »
he might be leaving to go to the erediversie :)
USA

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #299 on: May 05, 2012, 06:33:37 PM »
 :lol

theres no vilem 1 though, Willem 2 on the other hand... would be about right for him  :-X