Author Topic: hey tehjaybo: the bore gun nut q&a thread  (Read 20130 times)

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
Re: hey tehjaybo: the bore gun nut q&a thread
« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2012, 07:26:45 PM »
nope, training isn't mandatory. i'm taking it using my own gun since i need to break it in all proper-like
duc

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2012, 07:35:47 PM »
Well maybe i'll buy it and start the background check period at the same time I set up the training. CURSE YOU CRUNCHEON
o_0

MrAngryFace

« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2012, 08:20:16 PM »
oh lord, already looking at guns- putting money down for a gun on the week of the 4th of july-thats pretty FUCKING AMERICAN!
o_0

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2012, 08:39:57 PM »
Do it! Do it! Do it now, maf!

MrAngryFace

« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2012, 08:41:07 PM »
Next week at the earliest
o_0

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2012, 08:45:33 PM »
That's best probably. you can probably find some gun forums and look up experiences with specific models. That's what i do with new guns.

MrAngryFace

o_0

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2012, 10:06:18 AM »
That's not a bad price and it's definitely not a bad looking gun.  see if anyone local has one and go touch it in person.  My biggest problem with buying a gun is actually finding someone with the exact model I want in stock.

MrAngryFace

« Reply #68 on: June 27, 2012, 10:14:37 AM »
I'm going to the same place as Van, if they don't have it I'll just ask to look at similar pieces. The place is listed as a distributor though so that helps a little.
o_0

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2012, 10:19:47 AM »
Nice.  I always prefer to shop in person but be awares, you're usually paying quite a premium to get it in a B&M store.  A pretty standard reference for online pricing is www.budsgunshop.com   They have a good reputation and great prices.  Shipping is usually free.  You just have to pay the FFL fee for wherever you decide to have it shipped (a local store usually).  For example, when I was looking around for my Springfield XD45 the cheapest I could find it new was $699.  But Bud's Gun Shop had it online for $495.  I buy from my local shop fairly often so I was able to talk him down to 600.  I avoid a wait, FFL fee and shipping (although Bud's usually has free shipping) and I get to support a local shop without feeling like I threw away 200 extra dollars.

MrAngryFace

« Reply #70 on: June 27, 2012, 11:44:01 AM »
I'll keep all that in mind- thanks!
o_0

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2012, 10:37:22 AM »
Just got word that my revolver will be shipped on July 5th. 

drew

• sy
« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2012, 10:55:06 PM »
buds has the most fucked layout in the world, not even exaggerating, you'd think a bunch fat shit Bubbas could code better but I GUESS NOT

anyways for dem rifles i use www.centerfiresystems.com

and for dat ammo www.aimsurplus.com

spoiler (click to show/hide)
and for the funnies www.4chan.org/k/
[close]

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2012, 08:42:45 AM »
I don't think Bud's is much worse than most major gun sites.  They all look like they're straight from 2001 and made to look like the FWD emails so many rednecks love.  But I've never had a problem finding something on Bud's.

MrAngryFace

o_0

tehjaybo

• Kentucky-Bore's Last Hope
« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2012, 11:23:36 AM »
Nice!  Glad you took the .22lr advice, it's really a lot better for someone just getting into guns to keep it simple.  They usually have less parts, less issues, and are straight up easier to handle. 

Now, lets get some range pics in!
HURR

MrAngryFace

« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2012, 06:04:47 PM »
Yup, when it comes to something serious like guns im open to advice- and id rather get into the hobby the smart way. The gun shop dude seemed to think it was an excellent choice for someone who was interested in target shooting. Going to sign up for some quick maintenance/safety courses in a few weeks here.
o_0

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2012, 06:57:53 PM »
I've been taking my grandfather's .22 short handgun out to the range for the past couple months, but I want to get something a little bit meatier.

Whats some good options for a starter handgun? Is a 9mm the next step up?

Also, gun related, my dad's birthday is coming soon and my present is a family trip to take a gun safety and concealed class. 
dur

drew

• sy
« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2012, 02:28:48 AM »
9 isn't the next step up, but it is the tinniest of the centerfired calibers suited for defense (which doesn't necessarily make it the least effective one either).  if you just want the next step up shoot a 22 magnum or a 380 acp or something

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2012, 10:00:03 AM »
drew's right that it's not the next step up, but I think it's the best step for most people.  9mm is still large enough so that you get an idea of what larger calibers feel like but it's completely manageable even if you're unfamiliar.  Just still make sure you have someone who is familiar with guns with you.  The first gun my wife ever shot was a 9mm and she shot a .45 that same day ;) 

Huff: Before answering your question about what your options are, what are you planning on using this gun for?  Target shooting?  Concealed?  Home defense?

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #80 on: July 02, 2012, 11:26:26 AM »
drew's right that it's not the next step up, but I think it's the best step for most people.  9mm is still large enough so that you get an idea of what larger calibers feel like but it's completely manageable even if you're unfamiliar.  Just still make sure you have someone who is familiar with guns with you.  The first gun my wife ever shot was a 9mm and she shot a .45 that same day ;) 

Huff: Before answering your question about what your options are, what are you planning on using this gun for?  Target shooting?  Concealed?  Home defense?

Target shooting mostly. I'm pretty familiar with guns (we have plenty of shotguns and rifles), just not with handguns.
dur

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #81 on: July 02, 2012, 02:03:31 PM »
got mah sig in today. will take some pics before i rub my cock all over it.
duc

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2012, 02:04:40 PM »
then i'm gonna have some hott hott fantasies about killing hobos, tweakers, college boys, and browns that break into my house to molest my wife and steal my other gunz. i might even write a letter about it to guns&ammo! hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngh
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 02:12:41 PM by Van Cruncheon »
duc

MrAngryFace

« Reply #83 on: July 02, 2012, 04:32:10 PM »
GUNS!
o_0

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #84 on: July 06, 2012, 03:00:50 PM »
Got in my Smith and Wesson 686p and went and picked it up during my lunch break.  Good god.  I'm in love.  I'll post better pics when I get home...

MrAngryFace

« Reply #85 on: July 06, 2012, 04:07:57 PM »
that is an awesome looking gun mupes
o_0

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #86 on: July 06, 2012, 04:49:23 PM »
that is an awesome looking gun mupes
Thanks!  I'm on a revolver kick right now, so my next gun is going to be a Colt Python...

Fucking expensive though  :o  So it will probably be another 6 months or so before I get it and I'll just go shooting until then

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #87 on: July 06, 2012, 09:27:00 PM »
:-O
duc

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #88 on: July 06, 2012, 09:39:14 PM »
Took some better pics after picking up ammo on the way home tonight.  Tomorrow night I'm going to polish it to bright stainless steel but I couldn't wait to take pics...

tehjaybo

« Reply #89 on: July 07, 2012, 02:57:19 AM »
That, sir, is the hotness.
HURR

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #90 on: July 07, 2012, 04:49:18 AM »
http://www.falsebaysportshooting.co.za/

Open day next week, there will be rifles, handguns, carbines, black powder guns all sorts of shit. A friend asked me to come along, but I've never even touched a gun and am questioning if it will be worth driving for like 2 hours to shoot shit up.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #91 on: July 07, 2012, 09:27:29 AM »
That, sir, is the hotness.
I can't wait to shoot it! :hyper  I might have to wait until next weekend though.  My indoor range won't allow the caliber and the outdoor range is closed this weekend for repair. Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

http://www.falsebaysportshooting.co.za/

Open day next week, there will be rifles, handguns, carbines, black powder guns all sorts of shit. A friend asked me to come along, but I've never even touched a gun and am questioning if it will be worth driving for like 2 hours to shoot shit up.
That seems awesome.  I'd go

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #92 on: July 11, 2012, 10:18:53 PM »
Gorgeous! What model is that?

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #93 on: July 12, 2012, 10:19:44 AM »
Not bad at all.  Berettas are extremely well priced.  I've been eyeing a PX4 for a while now

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #94 on: July 19, 2012, 11:31:54 AM »
So I stopped a pawn shop to see a WW2 Auto Ordnance 1911A1 that was listed on gunbroker.  I wanted to see it in person.  It's not in the nicest area so there was this thugged out looking girl there and she was trying to sell a car radio.  While she waiting for the pawn broker to go in the back to look it up we shared what had to be one of the most embarassing moments of her life.  She was wearing basketball shorts and sagging them so low that she took a step and they just fell off.  She almost tripped on them and said "oh shit" and pulled them back up and then we locked yes for a milisecond and pretended nothing happened.  Awkward.

Anyways, the 1911 had been refinished so was worthless as a collector.  But that scene was worth the trip

MrAngryFace

« Reply #95 on: July 20, 2012, 11:40:09 AM »
blargh, gotta make sure I dont let slip I might go targeting shooting soon- anti gun stuff is fired up after last night
o_0

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #96 on: July 20, 2012, 11:44:24 AM »
It's going to cost over $100 to get a pistol permit here in NY.  :-\
©ZH

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #97 on: July 20, 2012, 11:47:20 AM »
speaking of which, i need to set up a date to go the range here
duc

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #98 on: January 23, 2014, 05:28:58 PM »
Model?  Good jon, bro. 

drew

• sy
« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2014, 07:51:39 PM »
you dun goofed

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #100 on: January 31, 2014, 09:45:34 PM »
Nice. The mini 14 is such a fun gun.

drew

• sy
« Reply #101 on: January 31, 2014, 10:08:30 PM »
I wish I had a place like that to shoot, where you could just ride up, set up, and do whatever the fuck you wanted, so jelly right now.

drew

• sy
« Reply #102 on: January 31, 2014, 11:56:51 PM »
nice, again so jelly. i want a place where you can set up targets (not just paper) wherever you want and maneuver however you want.  I shoot at a club up here that is outdoor 50/100 yard, nothing sounds better than a 7.62 AK going off with 100 yards of lawn in front of you and a 30 foot burm behind that :bow2

tehjaybo

« Reply #103 on: February 07, 2014, 08:18:19 PM »
 :drool :drool :drool

Most of my collection is down in London still, but yours puts it to shame anyway.  Just a couple of 1911s and a Remi 870 at my apartment.
HURR

drew

• sy
« Reply #104 on: February 07, 2014, 08:51:51 PM »
not bad, not a fan of neutered shotguns with wood furniture, I think a shotgun should have a full magazine tube that extends to the length of the barrel - because why limit yourself?  Also don't like the red dot on the mini 14, i think that rifle wants to be used with irons, although that stock pouch is hot, very WW2 GI, suits the rifles well.

oh and nice grip pod, Brevik. ;)

anyways here's me

and some more photos

spoiler (click to show/hide)

here's one from a range trip with my buddies last Fall, all the way to the right is me, before installing the picatinny rail system

and another one from the same trip, shows the outdoor range i was talking about itt

here's the Armslist picture I used to sell my M9 to fund my Kalash purchase, don't miss it a bit although it was a solid piece, slide felt like it was on ball bearings even with minimal lube
[close]

I have a Surefire light being shipped to me right now, the upper handgaurd is an optic specific cover and is destined to have a Primary Arms micro red dot mounted on top.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 08:53:31 PM by drew »

drew

• sy
« Reply #105 on: February 07, 2014, 09:21:08 PM »
Jesus they issue those things? no wonder we're losing the war on terror!

+1 for a scout setup, Jeff Cooper, while not always right, definitely knew a thing or two...but I'd hate to see you get rid of that forward section.  Maybe look into a mini red dot like the Burris fastfire II or if you don't like money the Trijicon RMR.  I thought about putting a burris on my rifle but I love the look of an Aimpoint mounted forward on an AK.

drew

• sy
« Reply #106 on: February 07, 2014, 10:46:59 PM »
good choice, Ultimak is a solid, AAA company and product, I considered them but ultimately went with Midwest Industries system. Krebs is another company with the same quality AK fore end solutions.

just out of curiosity why would you want to go with an M14 platform over an AK? Also why stick with the mini 14 when you have an AR now?

drew

• sy
« Reply #107 on: February 11, 2014, 12:10:40 AM »
all solid reasons, I can see why you'd want to go that route.  Have you ever looked at the M1A socom?  I finger fucked one in a gunshop last year and it was very nice, although you would have a loss of range and velocity due to the shorter barrel (obviously).

never looked down an ACOG before, last time I went to the range up here one of the guys in the stall next to me had an F2000 with one on top, I should have asked him if I could shoulder it and look down range with it, that would have killed two birds with one stone for me, I'd get to check out an F2000, which maybe I'll never get another chance to and check out the scope.  BTW he said he paid $2,800 for the rifle by itself :-X

If I could have any optic I would want the Elcan this guy shows in this video:

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #108 on: February 05, 2016, 09:15:32 PM »
This thread has been dead for like a year.  Thought I'd bump with my pickup today.  Finally got the .308 Winchester I've been yearning for...

Weather willing I'll be hitting the range tomorrow.  It's a heavy motherfucker at 8 lbs empty and before I put the aftermarket handguard and foregrip.  The grip is also uncomfortable as fuck so I'm going to swing by a local shop tomorrow and pick up something to replace it.  I moved my optics from my mini 14 so I also need to start looking for a proper one.  I haven't shopped for a scope in a while since I've mainly been buying handguns.  Any suggestions that won't break the bank for long range target practice would be appreciated.

tehjaybo

« Reply #109 on: February 06, 2016, 12:42:43 AM »
:drool

Mups I want to come
with you to the range.  That looks sexy!
HURR

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #110 on: February 06, 2016, 09:48:14 AM »
 :D I wish you would!! I thought of you when I bought it. It shipped from Lexington

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #111 on: August 17, 2016, 07:16:31 PM »
Just got this in today!  Colt Defender in .45...

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #112 on: August 17, 2016, 08:44:41 PM »
:drool
©ZH

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #113 on: September 29, 2016, 09:55:21 PM »
I picked up a Remington 870 today. Not the sexiest, but it is one of the most reliable shotguns. I got it in a 28 inch barrel for trap shooting. So i also picked up a trap thrower that was originally $150. I got it for $47 after some discounts and coupons.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #114 on: September 30, 2016, 08:36:40 AM »
Always liked the 870

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #115 on: October 29, 2016, 10:58:06 PM »

Picked this beauty up this morning.  DPMS Tactical Precision Rifle.

Nice rifle.  Groups great and the recoil was so little.  Follow up shots were easy as hell to take.

The only downside of breaking it in this morning was that I wasted a lot of ammo trying to sight it in.  I just threw on an old red dot that I had on my Ruger Mini 14.  Took a lot of ammo and a lot of frustration before I realized that the wind adjustments on the red dot didn't work.  At about 10 feet it was off by about 4 inches to the left.  At 50 yards we were off like 20 feet to the left.  Oh well.  Thankfully it was fun to shoot but now I've got to look for a red dot or a low powered scope.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 11:29:35 PM by Mupepe »

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #116 on: November 03, 2016, 08:33:54 AM »
I found a demo unit of a Redfield Revolution on clearance at a local store so I picked that up last night and mounted it with some Leupold aluminum scope rings on a .9" riser.  Perfect height for my cheek weld.  Just gotta go sight it in.  Since Redfield is made by Leupold it's basically a rebranded VX-1 from what I've read and Leupold's awesome lifetime warranty applies to Redfield products. 

I also forgot to mention a couple of months back when I bought a Marlin 922 22LR (below is actually the Magnum version but it looks the same).  Great cheap way for plinking and practicing trigger pull/breathing/etc.  Accurate as hell.  At 50 yards I was shooting a hair above MOA with the cheapest ammo I could find.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #117 on: November 03, 2016, 09:05:26 PM »
What's the reason you can't?

It is really fun if you're a tinkerer. So many little things for you to work on and improve. Lots of experimentation if you decide to go further and mod them or reload your own ammo. Also, people who actually shoot and not just bro collect Glocks and AR's tend to be really nice and welcoming.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #118 on: November 03, 2016, 09:27:13 PM »
You could start by renting them and taking some basic firearm handling classes.  Go from there.  They'll teach you how they work, safety and basic shooting.

Have you ever looked up 3 gun IDPA matches on YouTube? That's what I'm just starting to get into now. Really fun stuff!

« Reply #119 on: November 03, 2016, 10:12:18 PM »
What's the reason you can't?

It is really fun if you're a tinkerer. So many little things for you to work on and improve. Lots of experimentation if you decide to go further and mod them or reload your own ammo. Also, people who actually shoot and not just bro collect Glocks and AR's tend to be really nice and welcoming.

It's mostly that I don't trust myself with gun access.

I love the tinkering aspect the most. I love shit like that and I like the idea of shooting targets. Never anything living.

For the price of a nice AR you could get an old motorcycle. Much more rewarding hobby and people don't think you're (as much of) a weirdo.