Author Topic: Your favorite and your most disappointing games this gen  (Read 1906 times)

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
Your favorite and your most disappointing games this gen
« on: July 04, 2012, 01:25:02 PM »
Doesn't have to be a specific number or anything. But the ones you'll always remember from this gen. Just curious to see other people's.

My favorites

Mass Effect 2 - Hooked me into a sci-game universe like no other game. By far the highpoint of that series for me.
COD 4 - Easily my favorite mp of this gen and a gateway drug to mp games for me in general. I would still play it now if it wasn't all hacked to shit.
Red Dead Redemption - Favorite open world game this gen. The setting and atmopshere and characters help here a great deal because that's important for me in an open world game.
Fallout 3 - Skyrim is certainly up there for me and could easily be there but I actually prefer the world of Fallout more than I do Tolkien type stuff. I think Skyrim is the better game but I like Fallout 3 more if that makes sense.
LA Noire - A personal favorite meaning I know and understand lots of people don't care for it. A very flawed game in many aspects but one that stuck with me in a way that other games didn't.
Dragon Age Origins - My favorite traditional RPG of this gen.
Plants versus Zombies - My gateway drug to casual games. I couldn't stop playing until I finished it.

There are of course dozens of others games I loved and depending on my mood would make that list (Battlefield 3 should probably be there for example) but I sort of limited to a small number to make it mean something.

And now the disappointments

Dragon Age 2 - I get more and more bitter about this one each and every passing day
Brink - A prime example of why never to listen to preview coverage of games in genres that the gaming media doesn't really understand.
Fallout New Vegas - A lot of interesting ideas and I love Fallout but this game annoyed so much with its story. It didn't help that it was a buggy pile either.
Halo 3: A good game. But ultimately one that for what ever reason is my least favorite halo and a game that got completely overshadowed by COD 4. I did not like the campaign either.
Brutal Legend - I love Double Fine but they took something here that should/could have been amazing and instead made an RTS.
Resident Evil 5- At the time I liked it. And its not a bad game per se. It's just that when I look back it wasn't the game I really wanted and it didn't really know what it wanted to be.
Burnout Paradise - Strictly a personal thing. I know lots of people love this one and thinks its the very best thing in racing game in years which is valid. Open world isn't why I personally like burnout though and this game made me realize that.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 01:29:37 PM by Stoney Mason »

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
Re: Your favorite and your most disappointing games this gen
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 01:33:45 PM »
Props:

Fallout 3
Saint's Row 2/3
Dragon Age: Origins
Mass Effect 2
Diablo 3
Skyrim
Super Meat Boy

Slops: 

Dragon Age 2

Not many in my slops category as I don't really play that many games, so when I do bother to fuck around with something chances are it's gonna be pretty good.  I was really, really excited for DA2 but in retrospect should have seen it coming- all the warning signs were there and I chose to ignore them.  Fucking BioWare.
yar

archnemesis

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 01:59:10 PM »
Favorites
• Anno 1404 - This was the first game I played in the series and it's a really great real-time strategy game focused on resource management.
• Demon's Souls - I imported it on a whim expecting something similar to Rune and was really surprised to find this brilliant gem.
• Mount & Blade: Warband - It's the best sandbox game since Sid Meier's Pirates!
• Portal - Excellent game that showed that first-person games don't have to be about shooting dudes.
• The Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom - This is one of my favorite series and it finally got back to being awesome after a long stretch of mediocreness.
• Valkyria Chronicles - A really innovative game that showed that turn-based strategy can evolve just like every other genre.
I could easily add 20 more games that have been really great.

Most disappointing (compared to my expectations)
• Dragon Age - I missed out on the old Baldur's Gate games in the 90's and this was a great opportunity for me to find out what everyone else was raving about. What I found was quite disappointing. The battle system didn't feel engaging and the story/world/characters were all generic and uninteresting and left me wondering why they even bothered designing their own universe.
• Fallout 3 - At its release I didn't have a powerful PC and I ended up getting the PS3 version. It was a big mistake and it soured me on the entire experience.
• Final Fantasy XIII - The series has been in a sharp decline since FFX, in my not so humble opinion, and besides the great battle system it was really underwhelming in every other aspect.
• Final Fantasy XIV - The closed beta was broken. The open beta was a turd. Two years later it still seems like a really crappy MMO. I'll probably give 2.0 a try to see if they can redeem themselves.
• Mass Effect 2 and 3 - The first Mass Effect was an excellent game with a lot of minor issues that could have easily been fixed. Instead Bioware took the series in an entirely different direction that didn't appeal to me.

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 02:01:47 PM »
Some of my favorites off the top o my head:

Dragon Age + Expansion
Darksiders
Lord of the Rings: War in the North
Warhammer anything from Relic
Street Fighter X Tekken
Dynasty Warriors Gundam (1/3)
Fallout 3
Halo Reach
Blaz Blue
Resonance of Fate
Tales of Vesperia
MLB The Show
Divinity II: Ego Draconis
Bioshock 2: Minerva's Den
Fallout New Vegas
Split/Second
Pinball FX/FX2
Final Fantasy: Dissidia Duodecim
Tales of Graces f
Renegade Ops
Mafia II
Ilomilo
Samurai Warriors: Chronicles
Phantasy Star Portable 2
Dantes Inferno
Radiant Historia

LAMES O THE GEN:
Yeah, Dragon Age II - wtf
Split/Second (PSP)
Dynasty Warriors 6/Strikeforce WTFFF phase of Omega Force's existence
El Shaddai
Front Mission Evolved
Infinite Undiscovery
Kingdoms of Amalur: The Reckoning
o_0

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 02:09:31 PM »
My favorites:

Super Mario Galaxy - This is my game of the generation here.  For as much shit as I give Nintendo, they knocked it out of the park here.  Given Nintendo's policy of half assing it, I was worried that this game would suffer the same fate but I was wrong.  This would be very close to my definition of the perfect game had they got rid of the stupid story and the required waggle elements.

Red Faction Guerilla - I played Red Faction on the PS2 when it came out and thought it was bad.  My interest was piqued after hearing a positive review on the Borecast so I Gamefly'd it.  Most open world games aren't that good due to the numerous flaws that quickly drag a game down (see: The Saboteur) but I was very pleasantly surprised.  This is by far the most fun I've had with an open world game.

Borderlands - Another good open world game.  I had a lot of fun with this one and I'm hoping the sequel is just as good.

Warriors Orochi 3 - This game blew my mind.  I've been a Musoufag since I played Dynasty Warriors 3 on the Xbox.  This is one is way above the rest.  Dynasty Warriors 7 and Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 are excellent games as well.  Koei is the undisputed master of this formula (Sengoku Basara isn't that good, sorry) and they really hit their stride with this game.  A shame that it is PSN only in NA for the PS3 but if people haven't picked it up, I highly recommend it.

Blue Dragon - The most fun I had with a RPG this generation.  I know people here will piss and moan that it isn't Skyrim or Fallout 3 but fuck them.  This game is amazing and is probably the best HD sendoff to old school JRPGs I've seen.  Varied, colorful environments, shit tons of secrets, interesting gameplay, and the buttrock boss theme is the icing on the cake.  A shame that the series got dragged down and killed off in the DS realm but this game is worth playing.  You could probably buy this game for $5 at this point.  I think I got it in 2008 or 2009 for $10.

Honorable Mentions: Need For Speed Most Wanted, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Ridge Racer 6, Ridge Racer PSP, DiRT 2

Disappointments

Final Fantasy XIII - This game is not good at all.  The sequel is better but it still isn't that good.  I don't think a series has fallen off as hard as Final Fantasy.

Halo Reach - This game was hyped as a return to form and oh man, is it boring.  Back in the day, my friends and I sperged the fuck out playing Halo.  This game is such a hollow shell of the original that it is almost embarrassing.  I have no interest in Halo 4 as a result because I'm hearing the same comments about the game as I did for Reach ("Hey, its the real comeback.  No, I'm serious, really!")

I don't have many disappointments because I usually wait for months after a game is out until I play it.  As a result, I end up avoiding most of the chaff.
🍆🍆

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 02:24:12 PM »
Way too many! But here goes:

Props:

-Fallout 3/New Vegas [Mixed 60's future scifi with Bethesda RPGs, I didn't have a chance]
-Skyrim [Bethesda, 'nough said]
-Dragon Age: Origins [one of the few modern RPGs that actually feels like the old Infinity Engine RPGs of the 90's]
-Portal 1/2 [great humor, great puzzles]
-Mass Effect 1/2 [Bioware's triumph; great story, great universe, great characters; gameplay is really shaky in the first game but much better in the second]
-Saints Row 2/3 [fun take on open world crime games, emphasis on FUN]
-Dragon's Dogma [Capcom almost got this one just right but a few issues here and there hold it back, nothing that a proper sequel couldn't iron out]
-Dark Souls [utterly amazing in just about every way, love the world and the story [thin though it is], and the emphasis on high difficulty ratchets up the tension]
-Crackdown [loved being able to soar from building to building and then throw cars at guys, made you feel really strong]
-Divinity II: Ego Draconis [pretty janky but still a lot of fun, being a dragon was by far the best part]
-Super Mario Galaxy [Mario in a scifi setting? Somehow it works and works really well, the most fun I had with the Wii by far]
-Deus Ex: Human Revolution [it was hard to get too excited with how Invisible War turned out, but Eidos hit this one out of the park by focusing on doing what the original did but better]
-The Witcher 1/2 [the absolute best RPGs to come out of Europe]
-Dead Island [makes killing zombies a lot of fun, RPG mechanics help set this apart]
-Borderlands [guns and loots, can't get any better than that]
-Jamestown [super-fun shooter from some indie devs]
-Super Meat Boy [one of the best 2D platformers in a long time]
-Left 4 Dead 1/2 [love the way the co-op works so well, conversations between the characters are great]
-Red Faction Armageddon [it's just a game about tearing down every building you come across]
-Diablo 3 [Diablo 3]
-Mirror's Edge [few games can match it in terms of pure exhilaration when you get everything just right during a run]
-Alpha Protocol [it's got a lot of jankiness and sometimes feel unfinished, but I liked the spy setting and the emphasis on RPG mechanics]
-S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl/Call of Pripyat [some of the scariest FPSs of all time, emphasis on realistic gunplay is a nice change, atmosphere is incredible]
-Half-Life 2: Episode 1 and 2 [what can I say?]
-Dead Rising [it's Dawn of the Dead: The Game, loved the RPG mechanics and plowing my way through hoards of zombies using whatever weapon was close at hand]
-Batman: Arkham Asylum/City [perfectly captures what Batman is all about in game form]
-Two Worlds [it's a terrible game, I admit, but I just had so much fun with it]

Slops:

-Dragon Age 2 [Bioware took everything good about the first game and trashed it, everything here now feels cheap and dull]
-Mass Effect 3 [the ending]
-Grand Theft Auto 4 [started out pretty good, but just dragged on for so long and the overly-serious story ended up souring me to the entire experience; not enough side stuff to do]
-Duke Nukem Forever [it's just a really, really bad game, even if you happen to like the humor]
-Red Steel [worst game I've ever paid full-price for, utterly abysmal game]
-Final Fantasy XIII [Pretty Corridors: The Game, my expectations were low but I still couldn't muster the desire to play more than a few hours]
-Metroid: Other M [even taking away the accusations of sexism, the story and cutscenes are still pretty terrible; also, the game itself is just so dull and boring and painfully easy; first-person stuff feels really out of place]
-Gothic 3 [just flat didn't like it and I'm the kind of person who LIKES janky Euro RPGs]
-Star Ocean: The Last Hope [the story just got so bad that the combat couldn't save it]
-Half-Life 2: Episode 3 [the fact that it's not out yet]
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 02:27:28 PM by Great Rumbler »
dog

frod

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 02:26:03 PM »
For disc-based games I only really hugely enjoyed Crackdown and maybe Super Mario Galaxy.

I had a lot more fun with downloaded games, Shadow Complex, Portal, Pixeljunk Monsters (great co-op), Trials, Super Meat Boy, Renegade Ops, Might & Magic Clash of Heroes, GeoWars 2, Pac-Man CE.

Modern AAA gaming seems to involve a lot of walking about doing nothing but travelling to the next bit of the game. It's a bit like if you had to walk through 20 featureless screens inbetween levels in Super Mario World. Having fun seems to be something they try and shove in after they've written an engine, made a (tunnel) world and added the physics and DLC and cover mechanics and brown and grey and whatever else marketing bullshit bullet points they think they should be adding.  :yuck
f u

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 02:39:24 PM »
Favorites:

Cave: For porting so many excellent games to the 360. They're pretty much the only games I play any more.
Ninja Gaiden II: Very unpolished, but still the best 3D action game ever created.
Platinum: For making the best TPS of all time and another great action game in Bayonetta. Hopefully Rising and Max Anarchy turn out well.
Hard Corps: Uprising: One of the best run and guns of all time.
Street Fighter 4: Kinda burned out on this series shortly after AE came out, but I put several hundred hours into it before then and loved every one of them.
Child of Eden: Miz made Rez into a good game.
Demon's and Dark Souls: Best action-RPGs ever.
Catherine: Best puzzle game this gen. Excellent for the most part.
Mega Man 9: One of my favorite MM games.
Shadowrun: Still the best console FPS since Halo CE. Better than most of the modern PC fps as well...
Dead Rising 1: My favorite sandbox game.
Ouendan 1 & 2, & Elite Beat Agents: By far my favorite games on the DS.
Bangai-O HD: Lots of content, lots of variety, and plenty of incredibly well designed stages.
Nier and Ghost Trick: Favorite story-based games.

I kinda want to say Virtua Fighter 5 as well, but I feel like I haven't played it enough yet.

Disappointments:

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2: Was hoping for a polished version of NG2, instead I got a dumbed down version with bad bonus content. Hayashit.
Mario Galaxy: Some stages were fun, but I thought it was mostly boring. (I didn't finish it)
Lost Planet 2: A completely misguided attempt at 'evolving' the series, or whatever the hell they were trying to do.
Uncharted 2: I was really looking forward to playing this due to all of the praise. The cinematic direction is indeed praiseworthy, but the game is not.
Halo Reach: Bungie forcing their stupid armor abilities into the arena playlists ruined multiplayer for me. AFAIK they fixed most of my problems with the game, but that happened long after I stopped caring.
Yakuza 3: Not a bad game by any means, but it was still a disappointment as the 'next-gen' follow up to Yakuza 2.
Duke Nukem Forever & El Shaddai I didn't expect much out of these games, but they were far worse than I thought they would be. I hate both of them, especially El Shaddai.

Most games tend to fall in line with my expectations, so I usually don't wind up being disappointed to be honest.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 02:52:56 PM by iconoclast »
BiSH

Himu

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 02:42:59 PM »
Favorites in no order:

Skyrim - An open world rpg that always surprises and has ample amount of content to be constantly involving. Interesting mythos and world, great setting, allowance of variance in play style, with a very refined take on the "the more you do it, the better you get at it" that remains consistently fun. The best rpg this generation by my estimation, that I have played.

Saints Row 2/3 - If there was one word I'd use to describe these games it'd simply,"fun". But for all of its fun, these games are also some of the better written, and more interesting takes to come from games in years. I said before that Saints Row 2 is easily the most forward thinking game I've ever played, I stick by those words. Saints Row 3 has a unique take on the different genres that make up games and ultimately how shallow a lot of games are. Saints Row is the one series that manages to make me laugh, have fun, and tickle my brain all in one package.

Diablo 3 - clickclickclickclickclickclickclick.

Super Mario Galaxy 1 - Not a reinvention of the wheel by any means, but by far the most interesting reinterpretation of a classic game star in ages. All the mechanics...just work. The level design is top notch, you'll forget you're hustling for stars because each chapter of a level has a unique take on the stage that will send you to a different part of the level rather than redo-ing what you just did five minutes before. A platformer with immense variety and fun, this game makes me smile like a five year old. One of the few games I can play today and it'll instantly make me feel like a kid again, and in a good way. Easily the game of the generation for me, and it's a shame so many haven't played because it's on Wii.

Resident Evil 5 - Say what you want about this, but it really clicked with me. Enough that I got everything within a week, after clocking 50 hours. I rarely do that with games, and RE5 managed to work with me in a way few modern games do: make me a completionist. The level variety, intense moments, and co-op were its greatest parts. I'll admit the bosses could have used work, but they were the only major flaw in a sea of awesome. Plus, ONLINE MERCS.

Super Street Fighter IV - I have not clocked more hours with any game this gen than SSFIV.

Virtua Fighter 5 - Shame online is dead, because this is still the best fighter I've played this gen.

Dragon Age: Origins (pc) - As a big fan of Baldur's Gate turn based, drag to select style of combat, I really enjoyed DA:O . I thought it was the most refreshing wrpgs in ages, even if the overall package was a retread in many ways. Still, it had a lot of ideas that single-handedly fix the "Bioware problem" so to speak. For instance, there is no good or evil, you merely have an approval system, forcing you to play a role, learn the characters' personalities, and appeal to them. It's far more fun than whatever outdated Paragon/Renegade system Mass Effect has.

Dead Rising - I still think the sequel, while good, does not touch on the original's wit and unique spin on this formula. Dead Rising is a brutal game that takes some practice and memorization to be good at. It's the exact kind of game that appeals to me: a very short, but very open game that places emphasis on replays, leveling up, and constantly finding alternative ways to play. I played this game 5-6 times in a row when I first got it, and it was a very nice welcome to the Xbox 360 for me.

Bonus: Ghost Trick, Starcraft 2, Catherine, Super Meat Boy, The Sims 3, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Elite Beat Agents, Mega Man 9, Batman: Arkham City and Asylum, Red Dead Redemption, HL2 Episodes 1 and 2, Portal 1/2, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Warriors Orochi 3, Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3, Dynasty Warriors 7, Fallout 3, SMT: Strange Journey, Crush, Tactics Ogre: LUCT, Ys 1&2 psp, Ys 7, Ys 3 psp, Phoenix Wright games, Ninja Gaiden 2, and more.

Combined with the portables, what a great generation if you want to talk about just GAMES and not the other bullshit (DLC).

Disappointments:

- Grand Theft Auto IV - Starts out pretty good, then turns to shit.
- SSX - Boring. The demo is better.
- Final Fantasy XIII - Horrible pacing, but great battle system, horrible story, but great presentation. A game that for every step forward has one step back.
- METAL GEAR SOLID 4 - Shit, shit, shit, shit.

All of these games I can think of good things about. All of them except MGS4. What an abortion.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 02:48:55 PM by Stringer Bell »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 02:57:19 PM »

:tauntaun :tauntaun :tauntaun :tauntaun :tauntaun
IYKYK

cool breeze

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 03:10:16 PM »
Memorable games I'm happy I own, I'd call my favorites, but not all the best games:

Dead Rising 1
Banjo Nuts and Bolts
Infamous 1
Uncharted 2
MGS4
Mario Galaxy 1
Little King's Story
Sin and Punishment 2
Zelda Skyward Sword
Deus Ex Human Revolution
Crysis 1
STALKER Call of Pripyat
Nier
Vanquish
Bionic Commando
Dark Souls
Alpha Protocol
Mirror's Edge
Mass Effect 2
Assassin's Creed 2
Fallout New Vegas
Bioshock 1
Just Cause 2
VVVVVV
Portal 1
Batman Arkham Asylum

Disappointing, but not hated:

Alone in the Dark
Too many sequels to list
LittleBigPlanet
LA Noire
Bionic Commando
MGS4
Zelda Skyward Sword

Didn't list any DS or PSP games except Pe  Don't know how many I would list.  Ouendan and Chou Mecha MG for DS, Ys 7 and others for PSP.  More disappointing there, like pretty much every Nintendo franchise and the portable MGS games.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 03:13:03 PM by Linkzg »

Himu

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 03:13:24 PM »

:heart
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2012, 03:21:37 PM »
Virtua Fighter 5 - Shame online is dead, because this is still the best fighter I've played this gen.

Psst...VF5 Final Showdown.

Warriors Orochi 3 - This game blew my mind.  I've been a Musoufag since I played Dynasty Warriors 3 on the Xbox.  This is one is way above the rest.  Dynasty Warriors 7 and Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 are excellent games as well.  Koei is the undisputed master of this formula (Sengoku Basara isn't that good, sorry) and they really hit their stride with this game.  A shame that it is PSN only in NA for the PS3 but if people haven't picked it up, I highly recommend it.

Bitch, u crazy   :P
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 03:23:37 PM by bork laser »
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2012, 03:22:49 PM »
I'll get to it after JSR.
IYKYK

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2012, 03:30:39 PM »
lets see

favorites:
HL2 episodes
Company of Heroes
Rock Band series
Mass Effect 1 and 2
Bioshock
STALKER
Burnout Paradise
L4D 1 and 2
Batman: AA and AC
Battlefield BC2 and Battlefield 3
Saints Row: The Third
Skyrim
Witcher 2
Dead Space
Deus Ex: HR
Alan Wake

stinkers:
LA Noire
Resistance 2
Mass Effect 3
Metroid Other M
Crysis 2
Call of Duty World at War

« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 03:41:03 PM by fistfulofmetal »
nat

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2012, 03:49:16 PM »
Favorites

Fallout 3
Oblivion/Nehrim
Dragon Age
Tribes Ascend
The Witcher
Recettear
Titan Quest/Titan Quest Immortal Throne
Battlefield BC2
BLOPS
RDR
Merrio Galaxy
Merrio Galaxy 2
Mount & Blade
Just Cuz 2
Contra 4
Streets of Rage Remake
FEAR
Kings Bounty

Disappointing

Skyrim
Dragon Age 2

I haven't played that many games this gen so yeah..

« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 02:35:52 PM by D3RANG3D »

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2012, 04:26:05 PM »
Faves:

Just Cause 2
Spent over 100 hours on this, the first game I bothered to get a 1000/1000 gamerpoints on. Supergreat, love it.

Super Mario Galaxy 2
A lot better than the first SMG. Still not perfect, but this definitely felt more worthwhile.

Renegade Ops
Was super hyped from the first trailer, and the game delivered. Finished it three times. Also bought the DLC missions.

Hydroventure/Fluidity
Definitely one of the best games I ever played on the Wii. Super charming and really well made. And Richard Jacques music!

also deserves mention:
Super Meat Boy
Bangai-O HD
Wario Land: The Shake Dimension
Trials Evolution

Disappointments:

New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Still not enough of a challenge. Not as annoyingly easy as the DS game, but I expected more.

Forza 4
Spent a shitload of time in 3 (as I did in 1 and 2 before it), but it felt like a job. Only tried the demo of 4, but looked at the list of tracks and decided the series was done for me.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 04:28:03 PM by Hyoushi »
地平線

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2012, 04:56:35 PM »
Sengoku Basara didnt hook me either- I mean stylistically its got a lot of things better than even the latest musou games- but the stages were generally too short, too boring, too easy.
o_0

Rahxephon91

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2012, 05:00:59 PM »
My favorites:

Vanquish-Simply the best TPS this gen. Nothing quite comes close to how much fun this game is.

Valkyria Chronicles-Probably one of the few games this console gen that actually felt like something new to me.

Resonance of Fate-There's just something about this game that felt very involved and fun.

Asura's Wrath-Is it a game? No, but it's some great visual experience.

Xenoblade-Simply a good game.

Final Fantasy XIII- Excellent Battle system and one of the few games this gen to really take me to a imaginative place. Huge flaws, but whatever.

Gundam Extreme Vs-Probably one of the most fun multiplayer games this gen.

Disappointments:

Metal Gear Solid 4-Just shit

MGS: Peace Walker-How to make a truly inept game.

Mass Effect-I expected explorable worlds and a story I could effect, I got none of that.

Dragon Age 2-How to fuck up a sequel to a good game.

Max Payne 3- Annoying characterization and gameplay that just doesn't mix well.

Ghost Recon Future Solider-Simply more CoD then actual Ghost Recon.

Battlefield 3-Still a good game, but lacking in exactly what I want from BF.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2012, 05:48:21 PM »
Sengoku Basara didnt hook me either- I mean stylistically its got a lot of things better than even the latest musou games- but the stages were generally too short, too boring, too easy.

The stages are way better than your typical Koei musou's big-ass open field- the game has way more personality than anything Koei has put out, and really I find all these musou-type games to be on the easier side.  I just want to have some fun beating the shit out of tons of bad guys and the game delivers, but I would say I like SB2 more than SB3.

My favorite musous this gen are SB3, SB3 Utage, Warriors Orochi 1-3 (crazy that all of them came out this gen!), Samurai Warriors 3, and Hokuto Musou.
ど助平

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2012, 06:03:55 PM »
pinball halls of fame beats all of your favourite feggits game

<----

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2012, 07:47:21 PM »
Console only for now...

Favorites:
-Xenoblade (my game of the generation)
-Resonance of Fate
-Nier
-Valkyria Chronicles
-Blue Dragon
-Mirror's Edge
-Bayonetta
-Vanquish
-FFXIII-2
-The Witcher 1
-New Super Mario Bros Wii
-Child of Eden
-Akai Katana
-Sin and Punishment 2
-Kirby Epic Yarn
-Street Fighter 4
-Mega Man 9
-Mega Man 10
-Catherine
-Hard Corps: Uprising
-Lost Odyssey
-Tales of Vesperia

Disappointments:
-Dragon Quest X (finding out it was an MMO is the biggest disappointment of the generation)
-Marvel vs Capcom 3
-FFXIII
-anything Sonic
-Zelda Skyward Sword
-The Witcher 2
-Mass Effect 2 and the last 10% of Mass Effect 3
-LittleBigPlanet
-Metal Gear Solid 4
-Eternal Sonata
-ESPGaluda 2
-Crysis
-anything COD (you think with all its sales the game would be something a bit better than "average corridor FPS with multiplayer not even as good as the original Unreal Tournament")
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 07:51:16 PM by tiesto »
^_^

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2012, 10:40:38 AM »
Final Fantasy 13 would have made my list as I don't really like that game but I either had no expectations or poor expectations going in so I can't rightfully say I was "disappointed"