Author Topic: Game  (Read 32435 times)

Himu

Re: Obsidian's NEW Game
« Reply #240 on: July 26, 2014, 03:03:44 PM »
Naw. divinity is inspired by Ultima VII, a game from the mid-90's and it's still forward thinking and fresh and doesn't look nor play like a 90's game. Being a tribute or spiritual successor does not excuse making a seemingly outdated product. Especially given how much this made in KS. What you're basically saying is supporting someone making some kick starter for a LucasArts type adventure game, and the game uses a SCUMM interface. :trash For "Ultimate Nostalgia" (tm)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 03:07:04 PM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #241 on: July 26, 2014, 03:38:46 PM »
I'm still getting it because the game I've been excited about is this:

http://m.

And not that outdated looking title in those videos posted on the last page. :trash  :kobeyuck :holeup :beli
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #242 on: July 26, 2014, 04:46:10 PM »
It's like if somebody made a retro platformer that looked and played exactly like old NES games! How crazy would that be?!

But I still don't understand what you're wanting the talking scenes to be like. You want up-close cutscene-type dialogue scenes? Voiced dialogue? What?
dog

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #243 on: July 26, 2014, 04:54:01 PM »
also worth noting the game isn't done yet and the youtube video was poorly compressed.

Himu

« Reply #244 on: July 26, 2014, 04:54:04 PM »
What a terrible comparison, Rumbler.

Most side scrollers are low budget and the nes graphics are a necessity. More than that, no one here is talking
about just graphics and UI, but also gameplay systems, improvements and refinements over gameplay, what's new, evolution to the genre, things like that. Many modern 2d platformers (shovel knight, kero blaster, freedom planet) feature things you could never do on an nes or 16 bit platformer. And when they are tributes, they also feature completely different and in many cases improved gameplay systems. On the contrary, I didn't see one single thing you can't do in BG in that gameplay demo. Meanwhile, Mighty Number 9 is an ode to mega man, and is an honest to goodness new take on the franchise , combining the best of classic MM and MMX while still having its own identity. What's Pillars of Eternity's identity? Because I'm not seeing one from that demo.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #245 on: July 26, 2014, 04:56:16 PM »
also worth noting the game isn't done yet and the youtube video was poorly compressed.

The game not being done yet and the video compression are definitely good points.
IYKYK

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #246 on: July 26, 2014, 05:24:09 PM »
This is the most Himu thread perhaps ever.
vin

Himu

« Reply #247 on: July 26, 2014, 05:27:08 PM »
^ Obsidian fan
IYKYK

Steve Contra

« Reply #248 on: July 26, 2014, 05:29:51 PM »
No shit I'm an Obsidian/Black Isle fan.  Amazingly Obsidian is making a very Obsidian/Black isle game that goes along exactly with what their Kickstarter for an Obsidian/Black Isle game promised. 
vin

Himu

« Reply #249 on: July 26, 2014, 05:37:00 PM »
They can't deliver a Black Isle game beyond what they made in the 90's? Just make it the exact same? :what
IYKYK

Steve Contra

« Reply #250 on: July 26, 2014, 05:41:21 PM »
 :picard
vin

Himu

« Reply #251 on: July 26, 2014, 06:12:42 PM »
:yeshrug

Fine by me. Just find it funny people who give Nintendo fans shit about nostalgia think that demo walkthrough was totally fine.
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #252 on: July 26, 2014, 06:24:44 PM »
But Nintendo isn't really practicing nostalgia, they're creatively bankrupt. Hence why they remake the same games every year; it's not nostalgia if you never stopped doing it. In this case Obsidian hasn't done this in ages, so it's a legit "oh cool, I haven't played this in awhile, would be cool to play it again" feel. Instead of "well they released this shit last year and the year before, it's getting old brehs."

Himu

« Reply #253 on: July 26, 2014, 06:30:07 PM »
Naw. Also, they made a game like this less than ten years ago with Neverwinter Nights 2.
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

Himu

« Reply #255 on: July 26, 2014, 07:20:19 PM »
Those pics aren't the video, Rumbler.
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #256 on: July 26, 2014, 07:40:17 PM »
Meaning they're not heavily compressed, fortunately.
dog

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #257 on: July 26, 2014, 08:16:12 PM »
As usual my problem here is that a lot of energy is being spent talking alot about an unreleased game and not on talking about the actual game and gameplay post release pros or cons. I don't really have a dog in this fight. I'm not overly a fan of Obsidian. And Baldur's Gate isn't my favorite rpg franchise.

This Kickstarter always seemed like a retro niche project and the budget is still very small relative to "big" games. I'll wait to see what people think of the finished product. Debating the art design doesn't really interest me especially over the subject of whether the game is good or not.

Fifstar

« Reply #258 on: July 27, 2014, 09:21:53 AM »
Dunno what people are talking about, the game looks exactly like in the screenshots minus the picture quality? Plus at least in the youtube vid it was all night scenes whoch obviously aren't going to look as impressive as day scenes. Also no idea how you can judge the gameplay from a 20 minute vid  ??? Also, the Baldur's Gate games were much more sophisticated games than a NES platformer and more complex than most modern rpg, much less in need for an update.
Gulp

Himu

« Reply #259 on: July 27, 2014, 10:53:02 AM »
Dunno what people are talking about, the game looks exactly like in the screenshots minus the picture quality? Plus at least in the youtube vid it was all night scenes whoch obviously aren't going to look as impressive as day scenes. Also no idea how you can judge the gameplay from a 20 minute vid  ??? Also, the Baldur's Gate games were much more sophisticated games than a NES platformer and more complex than most modern rpg, much less in need for an update.

You can't judge gameplay from a 20 minute video, but you certainly get an idea, and critique what's going on.

And while Baldur's Gate is sophisticated, I find that a poor excuse. As everything can use improvements and enhancements.

Whether or not the game is good or not has yet to be seen. It could go either way, but I simply didn't find that demo impressive in any way, especially obsidian taking like two years to hype it.
IYKYK

Squiddy

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #260 on: July 27, 2014, 04:22:32 PM »
*Shrug*

The game promised to be a nostalgia bomb for fans of old-school cRPGs, and it looks like that's what the backers are getting. It's fine if you don't like it, but if you backed the game you should have seen this coming.
<コ:彡

Fifstar

« Reply #261 on: August 14, 2014, 05:36:22 PM »
New vid from Gamezcom:

http://www.twitch.tv/twitch/b/557643505 (1:04:40)
Gulp

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #262 on: August 17, 2014, 06:13:41 AM »
This game looks amazing for a 30 bucks project

I hope they put it on iOS too

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #263 on: August 19, 2014, 09:43:38 AM »
I'm downloading Pillars of Eternity's beta on Steam right now, brehs. :omg
dog

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #264 on: August 19, 2014, 09:47:20 AM »
Expecting a brief no nonsense review soon so

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #265 on: August 19, 2014, 11:02:05 AM »
Movement is so much more responsive, fluid, and quicker than in the old Infinity Engine games. That's one of the first things that really stood out to me as soon as I started.
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #266 on: August 19, 2014, 11:43:11 AM »
Took a few pictures while I played for a bit:

Unfortunately, taking pictures through Steam means there's going to be some compression.
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #267 on: January 14, 2015, 01:07:20 PM »
March 26, 2015 announced as the for real release date.
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #268 on: January 14, 2015, 01:28:04 PM »
Which, going by every kickstarted cRPG release besides Divinity OS, means that it will be in actual retail release state about 3 months of patches following that.

Will play it in the summer.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #269 on: January 14, 2015, 01:32:28 PM »
Finally. :rejoice

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #270 on: January 14, 2015, 02:01:38 PM »
Which, going by every kickstarted cRPG release besides Divinity OS, means that it will be in actual retail release state about 3 months of patches following that.

Will play it in the summer.

Add in the Obsidian Quality Difference and it should be out around Christmas.
yar

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #271 on: January 15, 2015, 03:19:09 AM »
Sweet, can't wait for this.

But then again I wont have time to play it.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #272 on: January 15, 2015, 06:42:36 PM »
Sweet, can't wait for this.

But then again I wont have time to play it.

Oh yes you can
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #273 on: January 16, 2015, 02:45:08 PM »
I need to finish Icewind Dale. Got stuck in the first cave, gave up and bought Skyrim :heh

This looks pretty good.