Author Topic: Apple just can't seem to wrap their head around wifi  (Read 21798 times)

Beezy

Re: Apple just can't seem to wrap their head around wifi
« Reply #120 on: September 24, 2012, 08:43:55 AM »
The JB keyboard is different from the ICS one in that it will try to predict the next word you'll type before you've typed a single letter, based on what you've typed so far.

So, typing "the quick" will pop up "brown" as one of the next suggestions, then "fox" after that. It lets you bang out often-used phrases very quickly.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I typed that example up without knowing if it would actually work, but I just tried it and it does.
[close]

Yeah that's what Swiftkey also does. I can often type a text message by just pressing the space bar.

I need to try the JB keyboard. But I've got a Sprint GS2 which will probably never get it and a Transformer which Asus is dragging their feet on updating.

As well as detailing the update for the Galaxy S III, Samsung also released a full list of devices that will be upgraded to Jelly Bean. The list includes ten phones: the Galaxy S II, Galaxy Note, Galaxy S Advance, Galaxy S II LTE, Galaxy Chat, Galaxy Ace 2, Galaxy Beam, Galaxy Ace Plus, Galaxy Mini 2, and Galaxy S Duos; four tablets: the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Galaxy Note 10.1; and an unknown device, the Galaxy Music (we've reached out to Samsung to confirm the mystery device's identity). As with the Galaxy S III, the timing of the updates will vary depending on your location and wireless carrier.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/24/3381542/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-android-jelly-bean-update-device-list

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #121 on: September 24, 2012, 08:45:24 AM »
Man, I am such a dumbass. I'd rolled back to iOS 5.1.1, but I was reading all these "solutions" around the internet, and since Apple force-downloaded that 2GB  iOS 6 file to my iPad, I figured I'd upgrade again and give some of them a shot. No go, on any of them. I can't even roll back again, it's giving me some "unknown error." So now I have a pretty much useless iPad.

I read somewhere on the Apple board where someone actually suggested buying a new router as a solution.

Yeah.

Sounds very lame. Did you fix it in the end? Or ended up with an iBrick?

nah, it lasts about an hour then loses connection for whatever reason. then i have to reset the network settings and log in again.  just have to wait until they patch it, i guess
sup

Tasty

« Reply #122 on: September 24, 2012, 12:42:12 PM »
The JB keyboard is different from the ICS one in that it will try to predict the next word you'll type before you've typed a single letter, based on what you've typed so far.

So, typing "the quick" will pop up "brown" as one of the next suggestions, then "fox" after that. It lets you bang out often-used phrases very quickly.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I typed that example up without knowing if it would actually work, but I just tried it and it does.
[close]

Yeah that's what Swiftkey also does. I can often type a text message by just pressing the space bar.

I need to try the JB keyboard. But I've got a Sprint GS2 which will probably never get it and a Transformer which Asus is dragging their feet on updating.

As well as detailing the update for the Galaxy S III, Samsung also released a full list of devices that will be upgraded to Jelly Bean. The list includes ten phones: the Galaxy S II, Galaxy Note, Galaxy S Advance, Galaxy S II LTE, Galaxy Chat, Galaxy Ace 2, Galaxy Beam, Galaxy Ace Plus, Galaxy Mini 2, and Galaxy S Duos; four tablets: the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Galaxy Note 10.1; and an unknown device, the Galaxy Music (we've reached out to Samsung to confirm the mystery device's identity). As with the Galaxy S III, the timing of the updates will vary depending on your location and wireless carrier.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/24/3381542/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-android-jelly-bean-update-device-list

Still though... TouchWiz...  :yuck

Beezy

« Reply #123 on: September 24, 2012, 02:09:53 PM »
Yeah, TouchWiz is so different. I can't even figure out how to turn off 4G for my friend's S3. I don't hate it as much as you do though.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #124 on: September 24, 2012, 02:25:23 PM »
it's so odd you're having that wifi issue feelbad.  On four separate iOS devices I've updated to 6.0, none of them have had that issue.  I wonder if its a router incompatibility

which is still shitty on iOS 6's part

Probably, lots of folks are having it with different routers. I've gotten it to where it gives me an hour now before it craps out, then i have to reset my network settings and input everything again. Can't chance doing anything wifi related that i might lose, though.

It's your fault for not using an Apple Airport™ or Apple Airport Express™ with your Apple iPad™.  :smug

How widespread is this is problem?
ど助平

archnemesis

« Reply #125 on: September 24, 2012, 02:29:12 PM »
To keep the wireless signal from dropping on Macbook Air I have to ping the router every five seconds.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #126 on: September 25, 2012, 10:21:05 AM »
Finally got this shit working. I went to the router downloads page, downloaded the zip file of the firmware, and just reinstalled it. Seems to be working fine so far (since last night). So, if you're having wifi issues, try reinstalling your particular router's firmware, even if you're on the latest version like I am.  Won't hurt anything if it doesn't work.  It's a definite iOS 6 bug.
sup

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #128 on: September 25, 2012, 02:22:56 PM »
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/09/google-says-no-plans-for-ios-6-mapping-app-yet/

:violin Apple

Yeah, if I were Google I'd be like "OR we could convince several million people to switch to Android!"
乱学者

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #129 on: September 25, 2012, 02:34:38 PM »
Finally got this shit working. I went to the router downloads page, downloaded the zip file of the firmware, and just reinstalled it. Seems to be working fine so far (since last night). So, if you're having wifi issues, try reinstalling your particular router's firmware, even if you're on the latest version like I am.  Won't hurt anything if it doesn't work.  It's a definite iOS 6 bug.

Wait...how is it an iOS bug if you had to reinstall your router firmware?
ど助平

« Reply #130 on: September 25, 2012, 02:48:31 PM »

It just is, so shut up!

:lol
野球

Tasty

« Reply #131 on: September 25, 2012, 03:23:58 PM »

It Just Works™

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #132 on: September 25, 2012, 04:57:41 PM »

It just is, so shut up!

because it's affecting many different people with many different brands of routers, and there's no guaranteeing what i did will work for everyone who's having the same exact problem i am?

here you go, 18 page thread on it

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4317427?start=0&tstart=0

i swear, you motherfuckers are always looking to "gotcha" somebody
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 05:00:42 PM by Dr. Feelbad »
sup

Tasty

« Reply #133 on: September 25, 2012, 05:22:24 PM »

Pot, meet kettle. :spin

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #134 on: September 25, 2012, 05:28:08 PM »
fuck you, kid

just fuck you

show me where i've tried to "get" you, asshole
sup

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #135 on: September 25, 2012, 05:55:36 PM »
Did you try to hard reset your router before flashing it? Might be easier for some.

Weird issue for sure but glad you got it sorted out.

Tasty

« Reply #136 on: September 25, 2012, 05:59:49 PM »
fuck you, kid

just fuck you

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #137 on: September 25, 2012, 06:03:54 PM »
Did you try to hard reset your router before flashing it? Might be easier for some.

Weird issue for sure but glad you got it sorted out.

yeah, i did all that, erased network settings, etc. reinstalling the firmware was the only thing that worked

fuck you, kid

just fuck you

(Image removed from quote.)

so, you can't
sup

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
Apple just can't seem to wrap their head around wifi
« Reply #138 on: September 25, 2012, 06:21:49 PM »
Andy chan, you're really doing it wrong. Reel it back and reevaluate.
Unzip

Tasty

« Reply #139 on: September 25, 2012, 06:23:53 PM »
Andy chan, you're really doing it wrong. Reel it back and reevaluate.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #140 on: September 27, 2012, 11:52:35 AM »
I hadn't been to Daring Fireball in a while, so I checked in today. Gruber's working overtime to dodge the maps fiasco :lol  Is there an Apple cock he won't suck?
sup

huckleberry

« Reply #141 on: September 27, 2012, 01:21:19 PM »
I hadn't been to Daring Fireball in a while, so I checked in today. Gruber's working overtime to dodge the maps fiasco :lol  Is there an Apple cock he won't suck?

yeah his jaw must be sore as hell.
wub

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #142 on: September 27, 2012, 01:33:56 PM »

It just is, so shut up!

because it's affecting many different people with many different brands of routers, and there's no guaranteeing what i did will work for everyone who's having the same exact problem i am?

here you go, 18 page thread on it

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4317427?start=0&tstart=0

???

What are you talking about, Eel?   :lol  I'd like to know what's up with it.
ど助平

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #143 on: September 27, 2012, 09:16:48 PM »
I keep cancelling the download prompt for iOS 6 whenever it pops up and now iTunes has turned into unstable shitware.  Now I pretty much have to go into Task Manager to force it to close now.  This never happened before iOS 6 was offered.

It's a conspiracy! :hans1
🍆🍆

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #144 on: September 27, 2012, 09:59:38 PM »
My wife, myself, and some other family members have all upgraded to iOS6 on iPhones and iPads.  We haven't had a single problem.  It runs better and I've also noticed that it now allows me to transfer new comics to Comic Zeal much faster than before. 

I have no complaints -because I am ignoring the Apple maps app- and am looking forward to getting an iPhone 5 next week.  My iPhone 4 home button is messed up.  Tried cleaning it with different methods but nothing has worked.
ど助平

Reb

• Hon. Mr. Tired
« Reply #145 on: September 28, 2012, 04:59:57 AM »
My wife, myself, and some other family members have all upgraded to iOS6 on iPhones and iPads.  We haven't had a single problem.  It runs better and I've also noticed that it now allows me to transfer new comics to Comic Zeal much faster than before. 

I have no complaints -because I am ignoring the Apple maps app- and am looking forward to getting an iPhone 5 next week.  My iPhone 4 home button is messed up.  Tried cleaning it with different methods but nothing has worked.

jeez, shill harder dude
brb

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #146 on: September 28, 2012, 10:53:03 AM »
HARDCORE SHILLIN'
ど助平

« Reply #147 on: September 28, 2012, 11:25:07 AM »
I upgraded to iOs 6 last night on the iPhone, the only differences I see are:

1. Maps suck balls, but are pretty hilarious to mess with.
2. People on my Facebook friends list now show up as phone contacts (with their phone numbers)
野球

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #148 on: September 28, 2012, 11:52:16 AM »
I upgraded to iOs 6 last night on the iPhone, the only differences I see are:

1. Maps suck balls, but are pretty hilarious to mess with.
2. People on my Facebook friends list now show up as phone contacts (with their phone numbers)

There are some other small changes.  I like Safari now lets you hide the menus and browse full-screen in landscape mode.  Chrome does this too IIRC...haven't tried Skyfire yet.

You can also reply to incoming calls with text messages now.

Here's the crap Apple thinks is important.  LOLMAPS.

http://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 11:56:41 AM by bork laser »
ど助平

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #149 on: September 28, 2012, 03:41:17 PM »
Just ordered an S3 today. It'll actually be my first ever smartphone.

SO EXCITE
___

Tasty

« Reply #150 on: September 28, 2012, 05:29:43 PM »

SO EXCITE

:wag

Should have gone Nexus.

Enjoy your new phone. :)

huckleberry

« Reply #151 on: September 28, 2012, 08:20:22 PM »
the nexus really is fantastic....so much nicer than having to deal with touchwiz. 

if only there was a way for samsung to differentiate their phones without having to alter stock jelly bean. 
wub

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #152 on: September 29, 2012, 02:11:37 AM »
what's good about the nexus?

edit: just saw there's no microsd slot on the nexus. no sale
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 02:16:15 AM by Mamacint »
___

Tasty

« Reply #153 on: September 29, 2012, 02:55:21 AM »
Jellybeans. :uguu

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #154 on: October 01, 2012, 11:05:17 AM »

SO EXCITE

Yeah, no reason to get the 5 so I'm getting a S3 in December. Unless something better comes out between now and then. Now that my boss has one and loves it, I have no reason to stay with iPhone. I'm not really an app junkie anyway. I just was to be able to text, read twitter, and surfing with a browser that supports flash will be a welcome change.
©ZH

Tasty

« Reply #155 on: October 01, 2012, 11:23:36 AM »
Yeah, no reason to get the 5 so I'm getting a S3 in December. Unless something better comes out between now and then.

Nexus 4. :uguu

Jellybean and above don't support Flash in the browser though.

« Reply #156 on: October 01, 2012, 01:58:15 PM »
I've had my iPhone 4s for about a week now. Never had a smartphone before, but I'm loving it.
野球

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #157 on: October 01, 2012, 04:15:25 PM »
The first smartphone I had was a Palm Treo in 2001(?) or 2002.  Things have definitely improved quite a bit since then!

But I hate how so many smartphone models don't have buttons.  Touchscreens aren't the best for everything.
ど助平

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #158 on: October 01, 2012, 09:01:04 PM »
The only reason I would want buttons is if it's a full qwerty keyboard. Otherwise give me more screen space

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #159 on: October 01, 2012, 09:19:34 PM »
Got my iPhone 5 tonight.  The restore process from my back up was super-quick, but I am currently backing it up again after downloading a few apps and it's going as slow as ever.   :-\

Compared to the 4, the 5 is clearly more powerful.  I tried SFxTK Mobile and it ran incredibly smooth, but for stuff I actually use the phone for on a daily basis, there's no difference.  But the camera is better and I'm looking forward to trying out 4G on the train tomorrow.

Definitely feels like a minor upgrade, as expected.

The only reason I would want buttons is if it's a full qwerty keyboard. Otherwise give me more screen space

I would sacrifice a thinner phone for a slide-out keyboard with arrow keys or even a mini d-pad for games.
ど助平

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #160 on: October 01, 2012, 10:49:53 PM »
Well, for whatever reason, it downloaded (but not updated) iOS 6.  I didn't recall accepting the prompt as I always hit cancel.  So I thought "what the hell" and updated the phone.  Big mistake.  The maps app sucks worse as it completely biffs it on even the most obvious locations.  I'm going to be heading to Chicago tomorrow so we'll see how it works when I'm over there, since I'm not really familiar with the city.  In the past, I could rely on the old app but I printed out a Google Map of directions just in case.

And I'm not going to be a fucking free bug tester and reporter for Apple.  You have to be a BrandNew level  to do that kind of shit.

🍆🍆

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #161 on: October 01, 2012, 10:52:20 PM »
what?

who the fuck said I was a free bug tester
püp

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #162 on: October 01, 2012, 11:25:32 PM »
I'll be updating from my 3G to a 5 in a couple weeks. Sucks about the maps but if it is much faster than my 3G I'll just go in the web browser to use google maps that way. Anyone try the bing maps app? I heard that was an alternative.  :-\
WDW

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
Apple just can't seem to wrap their head around wifi
« Reply #163 on: October 02, 2012, 08:26:01 AM »
http://www.apple.com/letter-from-tim-cook-on-maps/

"Use mapquest, Bing, or you know, google maps' web app (same service we pompously yanked) until we sort our shit out."

What an embarrassing episode.
Unzip

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #164 on: October 02, 2012, 10:35:40 AM »
http://www.apple.com/letter-from-tim-cook-on-maps/

"Use mapquest, Bing, or you know, google maps' web app (same service we pompously yanked) until we sort our shit out."

What an embarrassing episode.

:lol :lol :lol
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #165 on: October 02, 2012, 11:40:42 AM »
Why should I get a nexus over an s3? Give me a detailed answer and not this "jellybeans" one-word answer reply bullshit
IYKYK

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #166 on: October 02, 2012, 11:55:24 AM »
My guess is that Nexus = Pure Android straight from Google, nothing added, removed or touched.

While other Android phones are modified Android with bloatware and shit.

Now that I answered your question, please support Windows Phone 8.

Regards,

A faithful MSfag.

Tasty

« Reply #167 on: October 02, 2012, 12:15:37 PM »
Why should I get a nexus over an s3? Give me a detailed answer and not this "jellybeans" one-word answer reply bullshit

It's stock, and gets updated quicker. S3 is fast but not as it could be because of BarfWhiz. The Nexus is better designed (nice curved screen that is big, but not borderline-Note levels.)

And, well, it comes with Jelly Bean now and has had it for months.

Tasty

« Reply #168 on: October 02, 2012, 12:43:26 PM »

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #169 on: October 02, 2012, 12:43:38 PM »
The S3 has a better camera, processor, and more RAM. It has a slightly larger screen but it feels about the same size in your hand because the bezel is smaller.

The advantage of the nexus is all in the software. It is already on JB and will get the next update soon. The main advantage of JB is that the OS runs a little smoother and you have Google Now which is like a super smart search feature. The GS3 is getting JB soon though.

I'll be a bit surprised if the S3 gets the next android update though. No idea what improvements are planned for it. I don't really have a strong opinion on touchwiz but obviously manufacturers wouldn't be adding this extra software layer unless they knew most people liked it.

Himu

« Reply #170 on: October 02, 2012, 12:44:38 PM »
What is touchwiz and why is it so bad for those of us who have never owned a smartphone
IYKYK

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #171 on: October 02, 2012, 12:46:44 PM »
An extra software layer that adds shortcuts and apps that the manufacturer thought should be standard. It does slow down the phone a little but I don't think that's noticeable on  the GS3 what with a quad-core and 2 gigs of RAM

Tasty

« Reply #172 on: October 02, 2012, 12:49:54 PM »
What is touchwiz and why is it so bad for those of us who have never owned a smartphone

This monstrosity:

Aesthetically uneven is putting it nicely. Gut-wretchingly horrible abomination is putting it more harshly, but more accurately. Slows down the phone, slows down updates, includes a ton of crap you don't want just so Samsung can pretend they're using a totally different OS when they're really not.

Stick with the good stuff:

Tasty

« Reply #173 on: October 02, 2012, 01:11:29 PM »

Himu

« Reply #174 on: October 02, 2012, 01:13:26 PM »
:rofl
IYKYK

huckleberry

« Reply #175 on: October 02, 2012, 03:08:47 PM »
well i have to admit that Andrex was right about the Nexus.  It is absolutely the best android phone I have used...maybe not in term of specs (S3) but stock jelly bean rocks socks.

touchwiz just isn't necessary.....i have no earthly idea why samsung thinks that it is.
wub

Tasty

« Reply #176 on: October 02, 2012, 03:25:30 PM »
well i have to admit that Andrex was right about the Nexus.  It is absolutely the best android phone I have used...maybe not in term of specs (S3) but stock jelly bean rocks socks.

touchwiz just isn't necessary.....i have no earthly idea why samsung thinks that it is.

:bow

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #177 on: October 02, 2012, 03:29:43 PM »
But it's not that bad. Between choosing widgets and backgrounds and even launchers, even the android phones with bloatware on them give you a lot of customizability in making it look and function how you want.

Beezy

« Reply #178 on: October 02, 2012, 04:19:28 PM »
But it's not that bad. Between choosing widgets and backgrounds and even launchers, even the android phones with bloatware on them give you a lot of customizability in making it look and function how you want.
This is true.

Himu, you won't have any problems with the S3. Especially if you've never owned a smartphone before. There might be new phones coming out around the holiday season though.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 04:22:03 PM by Beezy »

Tasty

« Reply #179 on: October 02, 2012, 05:03:33 PM »
Nexus 4 should be announced this month. If you want power, wait for that. If you want the best bang for your buck, get the unlocked $350 GN from Play.