Author Topic: What is your ten favorite movies?  (Read 1406 times)

Wrath2X

What is your ten favorite movies?
« on: December 15, 2012, 03:10:10 PM »
Been meaning to make a thread like this for a while. I've been thinking about this and I think I found the ten films that I love and hold in high regard, true our individual lists for such may potentially change depending on the day/week/whatever I still would like to know what my fellow boritos have as their top ten favorites, seeing as a lot of you have what I would consider as good taste in cinema.

So without further adieu, here are my unranked ten favorite films:

2001: A Space Odyssey

I can never for the life of me imagine any film that can have the amount of scope, mystery and the overall atmosphere of this grand epic. The monolith, how the acts connect, the minimalism, and the mindfuckery of an ending. There is no better example of less is more than this. The incomprehensible feeling of what Bowman went through to evolve. An absolute beauty in cinematography, music, acting and direction.

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Sergio Leone is the master of westerns, you only need to watch this iconic film to see what most other westerns often imitate but never duplicate. Three central characters who are played fantastically by the leads, with what is possibly the greatest soundtrack to any film. Shot beautifully and well paced. There aren't many films on it's level.

Taxi Driver

The quintessential Scorsese film. Started my obsession with great leading performances, especially those with mental issues. This movie somehow paints New York as a shithole but as an endearing shithole, a work of art.

Chinatown

One of the reasons why Jack Nicholson is my favorite actor of all time, my introduction into noir and detective stories. Fantastically written and paced as all detective stories should be. Polanski, despite his infamy, is one of the greatest directors of all time easily. I can't think of many other movies where every second of it is filled to the brim with brilliance.

Heat

Michael Mann is the man. The heist film to end all heist films. With what is probably the best ensemble cast anyone can ask for, fantastic action and amazing sound editing. This ensured that I'd watch every film he's ever involved in.

Blade Runner

What a movie! Excelling at everything a film can excel at, Ridley Scott treated us with a masterpiece.

Dazed And Confused

A movie about nothing where all that's going for it is the setting and the characters, and it uses em perfectly. Outstanding writing and an amazing soundtrack makes this my most watched movie of all time.

Clerks

This is what I think of when I think generation X. Putting all of its eggs in the writing basket, I don't think I've seen any movie that made me laugh as much or quote it as much as Clerks. My favorite comedy movie and the basis of most of my humor. Sarcastic, offensive and at times silly.

Evil Dead

While some seem to prefer the slapstick of 2 or the action of 3, the first is by far my favorite and what i think is the best of the trilogy. It was the first that made me realize that just because something is low budget or b-grade doesn't mean that it can't be legitimately good. Taking the most generic horror film idea and making it the essential horror movie is quite the accomplishment.

Die Hard

I love a good action flick, and this is THE action flick. Setting the template for everything after it and dwarfing all before it. It is the best action movie, the best Bruce Willis movie, the best christmas movie, etc. I can never say that I've ever changed the channel when it was on.

Well there goes mine, and I'm looking forward to reading yours.

Himu

Re: What is your ten favorite movies?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 03:14:37 PM »
I've seen a lot of films over the years, I'm not even sure I have a top 10.

btw that's a good list, and I appreciate you wrote words on why they're special to you.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 03:16:15 PM by Formerly Known As Himuro »
IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 03:22:16 PM »
Off the top of my head and in no particular order:

Welcome Back Mr. McDonald
Tampopo
Battle Royale
Blade Runner
Donnie Darko
The Good, The Bad and The Weird
My Neighbor Totoro
Ben Hur
Tetsuo The Iron Man
Alien
Dune
Wrath of Kahn
Back to the Future
T2

This is excluding anime and I havent even begun to scratch the surface, a top ten list will cause me hours of agonizing :-\

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 03:35:08 PM »
Ben Hur is amazing :heart

I forgot Breakfast Club, A Tale of Two Cities, Topkapi, Dracula, Judgement Night and a butt load of 80s action movies than may not be the best ever but I am very fond of  :(

It would take days to settle my internal debate :(
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 03:36:47 PM by Momo »

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 03:49:56 PM »
It is great having this thread jogging my memory of films I love, it's funny how it all just flows out like a stream once I get going

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 03:54:43 PM »
no order outside of the first four

The Godfather II
The Godfather I
Rear Window
To Kill a Mockingbird
Goodfellas
It's a Wonderful Life
Imitation Of Life (1959 remake)
Forrest Gump
Raiders Of The Lost Ark
Ferris Beuller's Day Off

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 05:01:11 PM »
Some Like It Hot
Rear Window
In the Mood for Love
Almost Famous
Rashomon
野球

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 05:26:05 PM »
die hard 1-10
pcp

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 06:05:34 PM »
The Godfather
Network
The Thing
Die Hard
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
The Battle of Algiers
City of God
Casablanca
Glengarry Glen Ross
AMC

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2012, 06:06:50 PM »
City of God is fucking awesome :rock
🍆🍆

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2012, 06:08:43 PM »
  • Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring
  • The Road Warrior
  • This is Spinal Tap
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey
  • Apocalypse Now
  • Monty Python and the Holy Grail
  • Lost Horizon
  • Blade Runner
  • Raiders of the Lost Ark
  • Once Upon a Time in the West

Something like that.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 06:14:25 PM by Joe Molotov »
©@©™

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2012, 06:10:50 PM »
I love how we're all so goddamn lazy and only Wrath is putting any effort into this thread.
AMC

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2012, 06:13:48 PM »
Allow me to present my arguments:

©@©™

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2012, 06:14:33 PM »
So fucking good. Dat reveal.
AMC

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2012, 06:24:27 PM »
Pan's Labyrinth
Apocalypse Now
Lord of the Rings: FotR
Pulp Fiction
Amélie
This is Spinal Tap
American Movie
Star Trek VI
Fargo
Eastern Promises

Edit: Forgot Once Upon a Time in the West
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 06:26:05 PM by Mamacint »
___

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2012, 06:27:45 PM »
I really need to watch the theatrical cut of Apocalypse Now. For some reason, I originally watched Redux and I haven't been in a rush to watch it again in a shorter form. I guess similar to my experience with Kingdom of Heaven, just opposite cuts.
AMC

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2012, 06:30:10 PM »
American Movie is severely underrated.

It really is, and despite still enjoying it for the lolz, and I hate myself for typing this, there really is something transcendent about the whole thing
___

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2012, 06:40:33 PM »
I really need to watch the theatrical cut of Apocalypse Now. For some reason, I originally watched Redux and I haven't been in a rush to watch it again in a shorter form. I guess similar to my experience with Kingdom of Heaven, just opposite cuts.

Redux is ass. The theatrical cut is long, but it still felt tight though. The Redux is just a bloated mess. The French plantation scene is :zzz.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 06:42:24 PM by Joe Molotov »
©@©™

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2012, 07:19:50 PM »
Apocalypse Now's TC is amazing. I've only heard mixed reviews about the redux version

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2012, 07:48:38 PM »

Playtime - One of the strangest and most delightful comedies ever made. The way this vision of a modern [for the 60's] urban landscape is itself a character in this absurd story is so unlike nearly any other movie ever made. It's as thought Jacques Tati took one of those Tex Avery cartoons about ridiculous futuristic technology [like The House of Tomorrow] and brought it to life.

Ikiru - The sometime-heartbreaking, sometimes inspiring story of one man's struggle to leave some lasting impact on the world [or at least those around him] as he is faced with him impending death. There's obviously a lot of Kurosawa films that could have made this list [and one other does], but there's something about Ikiru's singular focus on a very ordinary man and his year-long struggle to leave something positive behind that really struck a cord with me. He isn't a great man, he isn't a powerful man. He's just an ordinary man who realizes that it's not enough to just slowly plod from one day to the next, what's important is to actually LIVE.

The Godfather - Well, what else can be said here? It's one of the most epic crime dramas ever made. The characters, the tension, the sudden bursts of violence that nevertheless do not constitute the whole of the movie, it's all that and so much more.

Blade Runner - I'll admit that the first time I watched Blade Runner it didn't really make that much of an impact on me. Sure, it looked really great and all that, but...I don't know. I've watched a lot of times since then [including once in theaters] and I've come regard it as one of my favorite movies of all time. Aside from just the way the movie looks, what's really stuck with me the most is Batty's fight for life, because it is that struggle that makes him the most human. To live, to survive, that's what all life is about. And Vangelis's soundtrack is a thing of beauty.

Apocalypse Now - An odyssey into madness. Its trappings are that of a Vietnam movie, but it could just as easily be about any war or not even about war at all. This is as much a movie about a journey into the darkest depths of the mind as it is about a journey into the heart of a forbidding jungle. Few movies have captured that descent so well and no other produced such madness on both ends of the camera. As a companion to this, I would suggest watching Heart of Darkness, because it is perhaps even more so the cautionary tale than the movie is.

2001: A Space Odyssey - Slow and deliberate, and I wouldn't have it any other way. This is the poster child for hard science-fiction and no other movie has done in nearly as well in the realm of space exploration. This is a story about man's struggle to understand the unknown and the unknowable, to look in the face of an intelligence that is so far beyond anything that we understand and try to make some sense of it. It is through this struggle that we grow. Or maybe it's something different. Maybe it's about how our tools are doing us more harm than good and that are only hope for getting rid of violence is to forego our over-reliance on computers and guns and satellites. Maybe that's what it's about. Or maybe not. That a movie can have so many interpretations and themes speaks volumes of the skill of the minds involved in its creation. And I happen to like this bran of scifi, so that certainly helps.

Seven Samurai - I think the reason this works so well and is so far above other movies with a similar setup, is that Kurosawa was willing to let so many of his heroes get killed. They know going into this fight that it's going to be hard and long and most of them probably won't survive, but they do it anyway because they can't sit back and watch a village full of innocent people be destroyed. It's easy to glorify that kind of thing, and I think Kurosawa does do that a little bit, but I also think that he shows that a battle this violent and terrible cannot be fought with losing something, which is seen in the way the farmers fight by ganging up on the injured. There's no black and white in the world, just shades of gray.

Lawrence of Arabia - We have this glorified idea of the stranger in a strange land going native and leading simpler native people's against an oppressive, modern regime. The outcome is always glory and fame. See: Avatar, Pocahontas, Far Cry 3. But that's not what Lawrence of Arabia does. It's built around the same idea, but all that Lawrence has fought for falls apart around him in the end because he just didn't understand the people he was trying to help. He was young, handsome, idealistic, educated. In his mind, he thought he knew what was best for the people of Arabia, but he was ultimately blinded by his own ego and arrogance. That's why this movie stands the test of time, because it defies expectations and challenges romantic ideals. Well, that and it's one of the most sweeping epics ever filmed.

For All Mankind - Well, this one is a documentary. There's no new footage shot, it's just some footage that was already filmed and some background narration. Yet somehow, it's one of the most inspiring films ever made. It's a testament to the best of mankind, the drive to do what should be utterly impossible. And the soundtrack by Brian Eno is just so heartbreakingly beautiful.

Ghost in the Shell - Like Blade Runner, I didn't appreciate GitS the first time I saw it. For whatever reason, I didn't feel that it lived up to the hype surrounding it. I've changed that appraisal in the years since. Something about Mamoru Oshii's direction really speaks to me, somehow it's those quieter moments where it's only the music that really capture the heart of his movies. For GitS, it's the loss of individuality and humanity through cyberization. When everyone is made of metal and wires, when even brains aren't organic anymore, how can you know whether you're human anymore? At what point does humanity end and soulless robot begin? Unlike Blade Runner, GitS is not so much about the struggle to live but about the struggle to know whether one is truly alive or not. If there's no distinction between the fake and the genuine article, does the question even matter?

I hate having to leave out certain movies, but I'll leave this list as it is and not try to cram in something else.
dog

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2012, 08:36:01 PM »
there's so many movies I've seen that putting a list together is really difficult. whenever i'm tasked with doing so the list is almost always different.

Blade Runner
    The Matrix
    The Thing
    LOTR Trilogy
    Alien
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    Michael Clayton
    Predator
    The Professional
    WALL·E
nat

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2012, 08:39:19 PM »
Well I knew The Professional would be on the list.
AMC

drew

• sy
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2012, 08:51:09 PM »
alien
die hard
ghostbusters 2
sukiyaki western django
hanna
the hunter

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2012, 12:36:35 AM »

:fbm

It's impossible for me to watch Forrest Gump and not tear up at least 3 times

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2012, 12:37:22 AM »
In no order:

Tombstone
Serenity
Interview with the Vampire
O'Brother, Where Art Thou?
Anchorman
Young Frankenstein
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Pulp Fiction
Dawn of the Dead (Remake)
Back to the Future
WTF

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2012, 12:55:00 AM »

God I love this scene, and movie. That part always ties my stomach in knots, making me think about a girl from that high school period of mine

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2012, 12:56:19 AM »
In no order

Pulp Fiction
Dawn of the Dead (Romero of course)'
Schindler's List
Lawrence of Arabia
Dr Strangelove
Seven
12 Angry Men
High Noon
Young Frankenstein
Life of Brian

Although honestly in a different mood I could easily sub out about 7 of those for other films I love.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2012, 11:52:01 AM »
Hmm, let's see... in no real order:

Terminator 2
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
The Fountain
Blade Runner
Pulp Fiction
Trainspotting
It's All Gone Pete Tong
Matrix 1
^_^

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2012, 05:29:20 PM »
Some Like It Hot
Rear Window
In the Mood for Love
Almost Famous
Rashomon
This is basically like the trajectory of a starlet.
:{]

Himu

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2012, 05:42:01 PM »
It's impossible for me to do a top 10. I don't have a top 10 favorite movies because there are so many goddamn good movies. But I do have a favorite, and it is Ferris Bueller's Day Off. I will make a write up about it later.
IYKYK

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2012, 05:52:51 PM »
My top 10 could switch up a lot. I just picked 10 of my five-star movies on letterboxd (26 of them).

By the way, if anyone wants invites, I have two. It's a pretty cool site and if you haven't already invested in Criticker, I'd pick it over that. http://letterboxd.com/cajolejuice/films/by/rating/
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 05:54:29 PM by CajoleJuice »
AMC

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2012, 08:29:08 PM »

Ghost in the Shell - Like Blade Runner, I didn't appreciate GitS the first time I saw it. For whatever reason, I didn't feel that it lived up to the hype surrounding it. I've changed that appraisal in the years since. Something about Mamoru Oshii's direction really speaks to me, somehow it's those quieter moments where it's only the music that really capture the heart of his movies. For GitS, it's the loss of individuality and humanity through cyberization. When everyone is made of metal and wires, when even brains aren't organic anymore, how can you know whether you're human anymore? At what point does humanity end and soulless robot begin? Unlike Blade Runner, GitS is not so much about the struggle to live but about the struggle to know whether one is truly alive or not. If there's no distinction between the fake and the genuine article, does the question even matter?

I hate having to leave out certain movies, but I'll leave this list as it is and not try to cram in something else.

But isn't this point also addressed in Blade Runner, several times, but most pointedly during the piano scene at Deckard's apartment, when Rachel doubts her own memories about her piano lessons?

Edit: "pointedly:-[
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 09:01:12 PM by chronovore »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2012, 08:38:14 PM »
Yeah, you could argue that, although I think the focus moves more towards Batty's struggle, especially in the later parts of the film. Batty never questions whether he's real or not, alive or not, he knows what he is and what he wants. And what he wants is to gain more life, or at least live what little life he has to the fullest. Rachel's story feels like a lesser focus, ultimately.

GitS does come at this overall question from a different focus, too. Rather than making robots more like people, people are becoming more like robots by replacing their bodies with mechanical parts. Maybe it's a bit nit-picking, though, to say that one movie does one thing and the other does something else, since they're both dealing with very similar themes.
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2012, 09:04:36 PM »
Yes, true. Rachel's story is effectively transformed by Deckard's encounter with Batty; if he was on the fence about Rachel's humanity, Batty convinces Deckard that their lives are no less valid. In Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, the issue is further muddled by the mood-controlling devices, so that humans are not even experiencing "real" emotions -- though it simply draws focus back to PKD's constant them of validity, reality, and falsity.