Author Topic: Path of Exile- f2p arpg goes open beta 1/23  (Read 16327 times)

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Re: Path of Exile- f2p arpg goes open beta 1/23
« Reply #240 on: October 05, 2013, 12:53:29 PM »
I'm imaging a Trigger Build with Molten Shell. Sweep/Leap Jump for fast kills and the aoe from the trigger would make you a god damn nuclear bomb
:bow

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #241 on: October 06, 2013, 03:10:22 AM »
Figured I'd come back a bit earlier, so I created a character on the Onslaught league. Basically it's a hardcore league where all enemies movement, attack and cast speed are 20% faster. Was trying out a tank build with a 1H Marauder, did pretty damn well...until I was just about to reach the final boss of Act I. Those red octopus things that explode...they came out of nowhere and destroyed me.  :lol

:'(

archie4208

« Reply #242 on: October 06, 2013, 07:52:52 AM »
If only melee feedback still didn't suck dick.  :fbm

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #243 on: October 06, 2013, 12:53:51 PM »
If only melee feedback still didn't suck dick.  :fbm

It definitely sucks in the beginning when you have a slow ass weapon, but gets better as you progress. When I died I was using a Cleave/Internal Blow build. Internal Blow has an appropriate thump feel, especially when you see the enemies explode.

BTW I like that they've nerfed ranged without decreasing ranged damage. Forcing players to get up close to certain enemies is a great idea

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #244 on: October 24, 2013, 03:55:07 PM »

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #245 on: October 24, 2013, 04:12:39 PM »
Pretty much anything will work during the first act.  Midway through the 2nd, you want to have a good idea of what you're doing.

I always encourage people to just fuck around and do what you want with your first character, then when you realize that it won't work, give in and go use one of the basic templates/guidelines for a build that you think looks interesting.  Yes, the skill tree is massive, but no, not everything is viable, and you're not a beautiful and unique snowflake, so your totally awesome idea likely isn't viable, and yes you're going to have to give in and use something someone else thought up in order to progress through the content, no there is no justice, nor is there an Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, or pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
yar

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #246 on: October 25, 2013, 01:12:27 AM »
The biggest thing to get your head around is how things synergize between passives, skills and item mods. Once you now how to improve your skills this way the passive tree (aka skilldrasil) is going to look a lot less daunting and you'll know what kind of gear is best for your character. Planning out a build is going to be much much easier.

For instance, I've started a Scion on the Nemesis league because she's new. I'm going to use Spectral Throw throughout, which is what she starts with.

Since it's an "attack" (as opposed to a spell or trap) and a "projectile" (as opposed to melee), these modifiers will scale it:

Damage Modifiers: Spectral Throw is classified as an Attack and will benefit from x% increased Attack Speed but not from x% increased Casting Speed. It benefits from x% increased Projectile Damage and x% increased Weapon Physical Damage but not x% increased Melee Damage.
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Spectral_Throw

Ideally you would want to pick up as many of these as you can on the passive tree. If you do that, you're going to end up in the Ranger's starting area on the passive tree and subsequently pick up a lot of DEX nodes. Which is just as well, because Spectral Throw is a dexterity skill and you will need more and more DEX level up the gem. Dexterity incidentally also opens up pure Amor-Evasion hybrid armour (STR-DEX), pure Evasion (DEX) armour and weapons like swords (STR-DEX). So an obvious path would be to specialize in that kind of gear and pick up additional nodes that synergize with those. I use two-handed weapons for my build, but I don't want to specialize until I find a really strong weapon. If it's a sword, I'll be picking up X% sword damage nodes. If it's an Axe, axe nodes and possibly one or two strength nodes so that I can use it. For now, I could be picking up X% two handed weapon damage nodes as well, but I'm forgoing those in favor of X% life nodes for now.

At this point it will become obvious that a Ranger might be a better start for a character using Spectral Throw. It's not necessary but something to keep in mind for future builds, since different classes can reach specific nodes much easier or earlier than others. Generally however, every class can do anything with the right build and gear, but the way there is going to look different. Often you'll level using different skills and gear and/or a passive build you more or less arduously spec out of.

There is more to it, but this is the basic approach. :>