Author Topic: We got some people with UK knowledge here, right?  (Read 33663 times)

Bebpo

We got some people with UK knowledge here, right?
« on: February 05, 2013, 01:11:59 AM »
DCharlie, Groo, anyone else from that area,

If you're going to stay in Belfast for 3 weeks in a school dorm, and that's your base, how possible is it to basically explore a ton of Ireland & UK and see lots of cool stuff in that time period without spending a fortune?

Bebpo

Re: We got some people with UK knowledge here, right?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 01:49:25 AM »
I've never been to Europe.  I'd like to do most of main Ireland/UK stuff in this trip so if I did a Euro trip next year I could skip UK and focus on other countries. 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 03:18:34 AM »
for 3 weeks? psssh, at college (Belfast!) me and some friends once went literally to every county in Ireland in a single day (drinking a beer in each, for charity). It's a TINY little place. You can get to Dublin in one shot now on the train in a couple of hours, which is all you need to get started.
vjj

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 03:35:18 AM »
I live in Dublin, just 2 hours away by train. Come chill brah, I got views over Dublin Bay and a spare bedroom so you can stay for free :pimp

I'll show you some sights and we can go hiking or something. When are you coming over?

It will be a great base for the UK/Ireland.

Things one should see in Ireland:
-Giants Causeway
-Cliffs of Moher
-Connemara
-Dublin
-Killarney
-Ring of Kerry

UK:
-London
-Brighton
-Highlands
-Wales
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 03:44:54 AM by Premium Lager »

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 10:29:14 AM »
Cajole probably has the most UK knowledge here

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 10:47:08 AM »
Europe is tiny (think less states and they're all smaller) and easy to get around, you can cover a lot in 3 weeks. 

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 11:04:11 AM »
Europe is tiny (think less states and they're all smaller) and easy to get around, you can cover a lot in 3 weeks.

Yep. The train system is pretty awesome.

I've spent a lot of time in the Cambridge area if you find yourself there. I've got recommendations.
野球

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 11:24:38 AM »
Europe isnt smaller if you count our overseas empires.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
[close]

Bebpo

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 06:52:44 PM »
I live in Dublin, just 2 hours away by train. Come chill brah, I got views over Dublin Bay and a spare bedroom so you can stay for free :pimp

I'll show you some sights and we can go hiking or something. When are you coming over?

It will be a great base for the UK/Ireland.

Things one should see in Ireland:
-Giants Causeway
-Cliffs of Moher
-Connemara
-Dublin
-Killarney
-Ring of Kerry

UK:
-London
-Brighton
-Highlands
-Wales

My friend's doing this: 
http://www.qub.ac.uk/schools/IrishStudiesGateway/

July 22nd-Aug 9th.

I'd either do that program and go to some classes, skip some class depending on the day (depends on if I need to recover in class from the night before, or it's a nice day and I want to be out exploring), or I'll just get a hotel nearby and go separate from her group (her group is a bunch of college guys/girls & her professor from her college here).

Kosmo, hanging with you and hiking and stuff would be awesome.  Hopefully you're in town during that timeframe :)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 06:54:21 PM by Bebpo »

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 07:10:56 PM »
to be clear

you cannot get from Ireland to the UK and back on the same fucking day

you would have to travel AROUND the UK

if you stay in Ireland, you will see Ireland
乱学者

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
Re: Re: We got some people with UK knowledge here, right?
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 07:13:52 PM »
strokes beard.
Unzip

Bebpo

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 07:18:38 PM »
to be clear

Yeah, I understand that after looking at the Ferry times (though can get to northern UK in a couple of hours it seems).  Would likely go to UK a couple of times and stay for a few days each time.  Maybe 1 weekend trip to Scottland, one southern trip to London.  Then do day trips out of Belfast to see much of Ireland during the week.  Mainly just want to cut down on expenses of double dipping hotels since already get a permanent room at belfast for 3 weeks with this scenario.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
Re: Re: We got some people with UK knowledge here, right?
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 07:21:59 PM »

strokes beard.

Stop touching Cajole's gf!
yar

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 07:34:48 PM »
to be clear

Yeah, I understand that after looking at the Ferry times (though can get to northern UK in a couple of hours it seems).  Would likely go to UK a couple of times and stay for a few days each time.  Maybe 1 weekend trip to Scottland, one southern trip to London.  Then do day trips out of Belfast to see much of Ireland during the week.  Mainly just want to cut down on expenses of double dipping hotels since already get a permanent room at belfast for 3 weeks with this scenario.

also why would you go to school

you are an adult

if you want to go to the UK for 3 weeks, just fucking go

and get a hotel or use airbnb.com

adult lyfe
乱学者

Bebpo

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 07:45:11 PM »
Because the dorm room package is likely cheaper than a hotel (expedia check shows hotels near Queen's college are $200-300/night; dorm comes to about $110/night)?  Plus if you just want to chill for a few hours, you have interesting cultural classes you can attend?  Also, a chance to socialize with other foreigners hanging out in the area (going to the pub as a group) versus wandering around alone or with a friend? 

I get what you're saying and normally I'd do that, but I think there's some good advantages to doing it this way vs. solo traveling.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 07:47:17 PM by Bebpo »

Bebpo

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2013, 08:51:41 PM »
Yeah, sorry, I don't feel comfortable living in a room in a stranger's house alone for 3 weeks and I'd rather be at a dorm with a private bathroom/shower than a hostel.   

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2013, 09:01:31 PM »
We usually stay at BnBs when we're in my hometown - there just isn't enough space for the whole family to stay at my parent's. It's pretty great, really - a lot nicer than a hotel if you get on with the hosts. After a few days, the owner of the place was minding our kid while we ate and cooking off-the-menu meals to order and such. It's a lot easier to negotiate directly with the owner than talking to some concierge who will quote you the handbook.
vjj

DCharlieJP

• the ex-XFE, now 3rd in-line for SFE
  • Icon
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2013, 10:51:39 PM »
I'm in the UK now - as i'm unemployed i felt it was the best way to be around a county full of people also similarly inclined!

"Professionally Unemployed" as the local's like to call it.

8)
Oh and plus billions to the B&B suggestion - there's a few sites that rate each one and , in general, they're pretty awesome if you hit a place with a great host. I would not touch a dorm with a shitty stick.

Ideally ignoring costs :

From Belfast you can get to Stranraer or Liverpool from Scotland/England - i'd personally suggest a loop :

Belfast to Liverpool - day in Liverpool/trip to Chester - day in Manchester - South to London, 2 days in London - Up to York for the day - Newcastle for a day - Edinburgh for 2 days - Loch Lomond for day - Glasgow for a day - back to Stranraer for Ferry back.

For short burst 3 day trips -
Scotland Edition : Stranraer by Ferry then Glasgow and Edinburgh + Lock Lomond.
England : basically - ferrying it will make it impossible as Liverpool basically puts you in the North. So... you'd be looking at Liverpool/Chester/Manchester/York and the Lake District - all nice and all that, but - lets face it - London is the place to go in England, everywhere else is a footnote (not true, but hey) - The other option is to take an EasyJet budget (or, if you don't value your life or sanity or sanitation - Ryan Air) airline price and go directly into London. From there spend three days. There's so much to see in London - but it gives you the option to day trip out once.

Please note - trainfares are STUPID expensive - and if you want to travel before 10am? Lol... oh so Lol. My train ticket to the nearest City to my home town was 109 quid - which isn't that bad - but if i wanted to travel before 10am it becomes.... 420 quid. TE;DP.

Anyways, if you happen to be in the UK - or if any of you UK Scrotes are around - i'll be strangling hookers shopping in London from the night of the 19th until the morning of the 21st of THIS MONTH. Though i'm tempted to extend my holiday out a bit :O Dolite mandate and all that !

<Holly> ADDITIONAL </Holly>

I plugged in Easyjet to see how it would be cost wise :

Belfast Intl to London Gatwick
Dep Mon, 18 February 2013 20:55
Arr Mon, 18 February 2013 22:15

London Gatwick to Belfast Intl
Dep Fri, 22 February 2013 08:30
Arr Fri, 22 February 2013 10:00

Subtotal flights and options for all passengers:£60.98

Pretty good prices and worth it given the train from the ferry at Liverpool would cost you around 90 quid anyways.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 11:17:19 PM by DCharlieJP »
O=X

Bebpo

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2013, 12:11:46 AM »
Thanks dudes.

Maybe I'll look into BnBs, but honestly people scare me.  I'd rather deal with lifeless robot concierges.  I'm from America, we learn to be afraid of everything.

Sorry to hear about that DC, I thought you were like king of your workplace in Japan?  Can't believe they let you go.  That really sucks, especially since you've got a family.  So you're only going to be in the UK for this month?  Would love to see you again.  Been too long!  You're a great, great guy and it's always a pleasure to spend time with you :)

If I'm going to London it sounds like I'll probably just fly on Easyjet.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2013, 12:12:31 AM »
was going to add that the UK is piss-boring but DC just proved that for me
vjj

DCharlieJP

• Icon
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2013, 12:26:35 AM »

unless you like shitty weather, crap food, fighting/aggro, castles/history, The Beatles etc... yeah - the UK is largely a bit dull. I always get excited when i come back home but it wears down in 2 days - i'm already over that hump and i'm here for a few weeks more. The one huge bonus is that you can see the stars at nighttime and dream that you might get Alien abducted the feck out. Still... no one has tried to start a fight with me yet ! Another bonus is that a day lasts for a Tokyo Month. Did i say bonus? :/

Sorry to hear about that DC, I thought you were like king of your workplace in Japan?  Can't believe they let you go.  That really sucks, especially since you've got a family.  So you're only going to be in the UK for this month?  Would love to see you again.  Been too long!  You're a great, great guy and it's always a pleasure to spend time with you

Thanks for the concern and compliments but seriously - it's probably the best thing that's happened to me in the last 3 years (new son excluded). I'm in the UK as it's a golden chance to see my folks and it also means i can do some study whilst i'm here and job hunt without two small children crawling all over me :) I'm really excited - i love change and i -still- don't know what to do with myself. After 13 years in an insanely stressful job it's taken the last 2 weeks to get used to having very little to worry about. :) The basic thing now is what to do next - i have one mild opening (game industry :O ) and a few more solid ones (back to finance - front line - more pay than at previous company) but i really don't know what to do - i feel i've gotten my life back so to go back to finance feels like throwing away a chance to do something i enjoy. Plus - japanese unemployment benefit works out at 7200 yen a day for 240 days.... whilst the wife isn't too happy about me possibly sitting on my arse for 1-2 years, my ARSE is all for it! All i need to do in those two years is write the most amazing iphone game ever, learn N1 level japanese and win the UK Lottery! SIMPLES!
O=X

Bebpo

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2013, 01:41:36 AM »

unless you like shitty weather, crap food, fighting/aggro, castles/history, The Beatles etc... yeah - the UK is largely a bit dull. I always get excited when i come back home but it wears down in 2 days - i'm already over that hump and i'm here for a few weeks more. The one huge bonus is that you can see the stars at nighttime and dream that you might get Alien abducted the feck out. Still... no one has tried to start a fight with me yet ! Another bonus is that a day lasts for a Tokyo Month. Did i say bonus? :/

I really enjoy that stuff.  I probably explored half the castles in Japan.  We don't have much of it here in California.  We also don't even have green fields.  It's more like Fallout Mojave and cities here.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
AMC

DCharlieJP

• Icon
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2013, 02:21:47 AM »
yeah, i wasnt really into history at school, but now i'm pretty interested.

Hence i suggested York and Chester. :)

Of course, London is absolutely packed with history
O=X

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2013, 02:33:37 AM »
the UK is so fascinating that DC's Bore-posting rate has risen x1000 in the past 2 days
vjj

DCharlieJP

• Icon
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2013, 02:35:16 AM »
it's the only thing that keeps me away from the knife drawer

O=X

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2013, 02:45:17 AM »
Yeah I was just about to post that BnB's are effin cheap here. Bebpo you said a 100 a night for a hostel? It's like 50 bucks for a BnB.
As DC said, public transport is super expensive in the UK, so book ahead like 1/2 weeks. In Ireland buses are cheap so don't worry.

Just come on over to dooblin and Ill show you a good time  :)

Also Charlie, where you at boo? Im flying to London/Brighton next sat.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2013, 02:50:34 AM »

Thats really only cause you're from the UK. I feel the same about Holland.

I really like the UK/Ireland, the whole mood is something like out of a movie. Even after almost 3.5 years here. I'd love to be able to move to London from Dublin.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 02:54:18 AM by Premium Lager »

DCharlieJP

• Icon
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2013, 02:57:19 AM »
I'm in Whitehaven, Cumbria at my folks.

I'm in Blackpool this weekend but not hitting London until the 19th
O=X

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2013, 02:59:36 AM »
Are you shitting me? You live next to the Lake District?  :maf

DCharlieJP

• Icon
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2013, 03:01:11 AM »
yeah, well - my folks do - i've not lived here since i was 18.

But yeah, the Lake District frigging rules (when the weather isn't shit)
O=X

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2013, 03:15:15 AM »
Have you ever been on the Isle of Man? I've been looking at ferry tables, but im not sure what there is to do, except the TT ofc.

DCharlieJP

• Icon
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2013, 03:19:26 AM »
I've never been - you can see it from the port too - but , even though it's the shortest point to Isle of Man and even though we have a fully usable port, there's only ever been a ferry there for a few months back about 6 years ago.

Crazy . So you have to go Stranraer or Liverpool. :/
O=X

Big Barry Jazz

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2013, 05:53:31 AM »
If you stop by Oxford I'd be happy to give you a tour. I hope you enjoy architecture, museums, and dodging massive crowds of tourists. On second thoughts don't bother. We have far too many visitors here already.

All i need to do in those two years is write the most amazing iphone game ever, learn N1 level japanese and win the UK Lottery! SIMPLES!

Dream a little bigger, man. EuroMillions or bust.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2013, 06:01:28 AM »
Man I hate losing in Euromillions when there is some mega jackpot!

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2013, 06:29:03 AM »
If people start rioting in Belfast again, get in doors hide under a table, practice your irish accent and never answer questions on matters of religion or the Union

Just kidding, you'll be fine.

Also, if you happen to venture over to Liverpool - I will look for you, I will find you and I will get you drunk. That's where I am. Obviously.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2013, 06:48:14 AM »
You're in Pool radiohead?

I'm feeling like a UK/IRELAND Bore drinkfest :drool

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2013, 06:51:29 AM »
You're in Pool radiohead?

I'm feeling like a UK/IRELAND Bore drinkfest :drool

Aye short flight or ferry away :)

I've only been to Dublin once, with enough notice I'd be happy to hop over there. Last time I was over there I was going to the Oxegen festival at Punchestown

DCharlieJP

• Icon
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2013, 08:05:49 AM »
There's a chance i might be venturing to Liverpool - let me figure something out.
O=X

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2013, 08:50:07 AM »
let me be really clear

a dorm is a stupid idea

you are not 19

don't stay in a dorm

give yourself the freedom to actually visit the UK
乱学者

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2013, 11:09:28 AM »
I would have to agree with our man here, but if are traveling alone you could mean nice people in dorms.

BUT you might not get any sleep.

DCharlieJP

• Icon
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2013, 11:12:11 AM »
Dream a little bigger, man. EuroMillions or bust.

got my ticks for tonight, going to be spunking on all the draws whilst i'm here.
O=X

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2013, 11:20:31 AM »
do you consider having your stuff stolen an important part of any international trip? if so please proceed to stay in a dorm
乱学者

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2013, 01:38:35 PM »
Bebpo, you're making that phat lawyer cash.  You're a rainmaker.  Stay at a nice hotel or B n' B.  Money ain't a thang.   :pimp

Can't say I see the difference between the staff when it comes to staying at a bed and breakfast and a hotel- if you don't want to be bothered, let them know.
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2013, 01:40:38 PM »
So I'm looking into BnBs and am I understanding it right, that it's a room in a person's home and they're still living there while you come and go?  I feel like that kind of setup would be problematic for coming home at 2-3am from the pub or even later after night adventures. 

I lived in a dorm once when I was 19 and in Japan for 6 months and it was pretty fun.  Met a lot of cool people and had good experiences.

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2013, 01:44:01 PM »
If you're afraid of BNBs, many rooms on airbnb.com are standalone apartments. You meet the owner at the start of your stay, get a key, do not see them for the rest of your trip. We used it on our honeymoon and had a clean apartment 3 minutes from King's Cross in London for $140 / night.

BNBs also get you great cooked breakfasts, local advice and guidance, etc. BNBs are the UK way; avoiding BNBs in the UK is like avoiding motels in America.

Pubs close at 11 PM anyhow: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_call_(bar_term)#United_Kingdom

also, spoiler, you aren't 19

TIME BEPPU~ PLEASE

EDIT:

let me just re-iterate

if you stay in a dorm in Belfast, you will see Belfast. maybe 3 days in Scotland, 3 days in London, and a ton of time, energy, and sorrow getting to both.

if you want to see "the UK," ditch the dorm and be flexible in your accomodations. move your homebase.

also, DO NOT STAY IN A DORM
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 01:47:18 PM by Howard Alan Treesong »
乱学者

Bebpo

« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2013, 01:47:01 PM »
Hmm, that's interesting.  Does that mean there's not much of a nightlife in Ireland/UK? 

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2013, 01:48:00 PM »
So I'm looking into BnBs and am I understanding it right, that it's a room in a person's home and they're still living there while you come and go?  I feel like that kind of setup would be problematic for coming home at 2-3am from the pub or even later after night adventures. 

Depends on the place- last time I was at a BnB (in Italy) the staff had their own living quarters completely separate from the rest of the people staying there.  They didn't care when anyone came back.

I lived in a dorm once when I was 19 and in Japan for 6 months and it was pretty fun.  Met a lot of cool people and had good experiences.

You're not 19 anymore.  Do you really want to be the "old guy" who is completely out of place amongst all those teenagers?  Dorms  :yuck
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2013, 01:50:06 PM »
I haven't stayed at many BnBs, but thinking about it, I don't believe I've ever stayed at one that was the equivalent of a regular house with a room just being rented out.  People usually convert their houses to suit guests.
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2013, 01:52:27 PM »
Ok, maybe I'll try the BnB route.  The hard thing is going to be coordinating where I'm going ahead of time, especially since I'm traveling with my friend who may need to be at the school in Belfast for Week 1 & 3 to get school credit.

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2013, 01:53:10 PM »
yeah, we stayed at one BNB and two airbnb.com apartments. the bnb room we had was actually completely detached (like a guest house), but the rooms in the house were on a separate floor, each had their own bathroom, etc.

BEBPO YOU ARE NOT A FUCKING TEENAGER ANYMORE

ACT YOUR FUCKING AGE

OKAY

IT'S EMBARASSING

THANK YOU

WHY IN THE NAME OF FUCK WOULD YOU STAY IN A DORMITORY
乱学者

Bebpo

« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2013, 01:56:11 PM »
While I'm not acting like a teenager, I am going with someone who "is" and is staying in the dorm so I'm just trying to figure out what is easiest and cheapest to have a good trip.

Bebpo

« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2013, 01:57:15 PM »
Also, if I go the BnB route, I guess that opens the trip up to expanding beyond Ireland/UK into other European countries.  Hmmmmm, will need to see what I can fit in without making my schedule feel rushed and packed.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2013, 01:59:11 PM »
While I'm not acting like a teenager, I am going with someone who "is" and is staying in the dorm so I'm just trying to figure out what is easiest and cheapest to have a good trip.

You're going on a trip with a teenager who has to go to school?
ど助平

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2013, 02:06:38 PM »

You're going on a trip with a teenager who has to go to school?

yes. he intends to go on this Ireland/UK trip with another guy's girlfriend, they are "just friends." she's a teenager. Bebpo is not.

Bebpo, I am REALLY SORRY to air your sexy laundry in public, but this is the WORST POSSIBLE IDEA EVER IN THE HISTORY OF IDEAS and apparently several pages of people telling you that is not getting through your skull so it's time to go Full Nuclear Option

and oh my christ

PLEASE DON'T GO ON THIS WORST POSSIBLE TRIP OF WORST POSSIBLE PROPORTIONS

I just told Joe what you were planning (not even mentioning the girl) and he said

/faceplant
that is distinguished mentally-challenged and let me tell you not even the most obvious reason why
if he wanted to do this trip
he should just stay at a B&B or hotel or whatever
it's not like he's hard up for cash last I checked

YOU ARE BETTER THAN THIS

PLEASE BE BETTER THAN THIS
乱学者

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2013, 02:18:36 PM »
Oh, my.

No.  No no no no no no no no no.

Don't do it.

Bebpo   :(
ど助平

« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2013, 02:19:54 PM »
Really bad idea, man. Go to the UK, but don't go like this.

I feel like you're really trying hard to cling on to some lost sense of youth. You're in your early 30s, there is nothing wrong with that. Embrace it.
野球

Bebpo

« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2013, 02:22:16 PM »
 ::)

Ok, before anyone gets misled by Treesong's post, I better clear this up.  I'm going with one of my best friends, who yes, is female, yes, is 20, yes, has a boyfriend (who is another one of my best friends as well), and yes, we are just friends.  I have zero interest in her at all on anything besides a friend level.  We hang out regularly all the time, sometimes with her bf, sometimes just the two of us.  Her bf's totally cool with that and says I'm the only guy he trusts her with.  Probably because he knows the girls that I like, and she is not my type at all.  It just happened to work out that I'd been planning a Europe trip for about a year (was supposed to go last fall with duckroll, but he backed out) and she's going to be doing a UK/Ireland trip in the summer so we said "hey, why not travel together and hang out in Europe so we're both not doing solo trips".  All my other friends can't afford a Europe trip (including her bf; and I've asked like 10+ people to come on this trip along with us).  I think Treesong is one of the the only three or so friend I have out of hundreds who actually has a decent paying job.  Most my friends are unemployed, contract employees, or make min wage.

Bebpo

« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2013, 02:25:07 PM »
Oh, my.

No.  No no no no no no no no no.

Don't do it.

Bebpo   :(

Really bad idea, man. Go to the UK, but don't go like this.

I feel like you're really trying hard to cling on to some lost sense of youth. You're in your early 30s, there is nothing wrong with that. Embrace it.

Too late.  Thanks Treesong for making everyone think the situation is totally different than it is.