Author Topic: Cruncheons 44: Soul Sacrifice,Guacamelee,Riptide,Blood Dragon,Gunslinger,XBONE  (Read 10835 times)

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
http://cruncheons.podbean.com/mf/web/u6pznb/Cruncheons44.mp3

SEGMENT ONE

Doug sits in the corner as Robert, Arian, and Kevin discuss the newly announced all-seeing all-knowing doubleplusgood Xbox One. He joins back in for some discussion of the Wii U and Ubisoft's apparent $15 downloadable game initiative.

SEGMENT TWO

(1:15: 20) Puzzle and Dragons, revisited
(1:17:45) Soul Sacrifice + Vita talk
(1:23:10) Guacamelee!
(1:29:50) Dead Island: Riptide
(1:33:55) Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
(1:37:00) Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
(1:45:35) Don't Starve

We'll talk to you again soon!
sup

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
Oh yes.

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
 :xbone
vin

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
I half want to leave work right now and listen to this. Gonna be a classic.

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
This is a must listen.
Unzip

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
Audio from my end is a bit off, sorry about that. I left something plugged into my USB hub and it caused interference with my headset (didn't hear it while I was recording).

Next time we'll record in the clouds.
sup

Phoenix Dark

You did record in the clouds, you just don't know it yet *mind blown*

I'm paying all my bills in the cloud now, it has saved me tons of money.

Tasty

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
sup

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider

Phoenix Dark

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
Unzip

Himu

Now we have an avatar for drinky when he comes back!
IYKYK

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
Icon Andrex
Leper Drinky
Ban Malek

Phoenix Dark

"The last console I probably will ever buy is a WiiU"
 :xbone

we've come full circle

Phoenix Dark

Damn Frag, let someone else talk  :dead

this nicca fillibustering the Xbone discussion

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
duc

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
ANDREX

YOU BEAUTIFUL SON OF A BITCH
püp

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
never went anywhere, just had work x life to attend to!
duc

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
well, that's a shit excuse not to post on forums if I ever saw one.

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
Completely agree with Robert re: Don't Starve, after a certain period of time the challenge in the game disappears and it becomes like a shitty job without a purpose. You know you've got to get your food, make sure you're prepared for winter, know where to go to deal with the puppies, etc... but you're doing it all with no real end game available. It's just more of the same things you've been doing for the past 40 odd days, with no variation. Even the creator has stated that you're not mean to last past 100 days or so. I've found story mode pretty weak as well since the maps it drops you into are more sadistic than challenging (I had one map with no grass, couldn't build a fire).

I haven't tried any of the caves so I can't comment on that addition but it sounds good, and I would still recommend it. Definitely an interesting work in progress though.
itm

cool breeze

Random question for the person (can't match voice with names) who said they might buy a PS3 this year.  In a hypothetical situation where the PS4 could play natively PS3 games, with the PS4 launching between $400 to $500 and the PS3 dropping to $200, would you have bought the PS4 over the PS3?

The others talked about backwards compatibility as it applies to owners looking to upgrade.   

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
well, that's a shit excuse not to post on forums if I ever saw one.

i find that the busier i am with responsibilities, the more time i spend on forums.

if i'm not here, i'm probably having a good time.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
Random question for the person (can't match voice with names) who said they might buy a PS3 this year.  In a hypothetical situation where the PS4 could play natively PS3 games, with the PS4 launching between $400 to $500 and the PS3 dropping to $200, would you have bought the PS4 over the PS3?

The others talked about backwards compatibility as it applies to owners looking to upgrade.

That was Robert, but I'm also looking to buy a PS3 at some point this year as a streaming/blu-ray box.  For me the answer is no, as I'm just not really interested in a console beyond a "let's play random crap we missed from last gen for cheap" bonus to the blu-ray/streaming.
yar

hampster

I figured the $15-20 spinoff game would take off years ago when that Dead Rising game came out on XBLA but it never did yet DLC has continued to grow. I guess DLC is easier and/or brings in bigger returns than you guys guess.

Anyway this was an excellent episode. I was listening to another podcast and they said there was a $99 360 rumor going around. I could see myself getting than well before a new console to grab some of the stuff I missed (assuming that's not $99 with a two year live subscription). The old consoles are still priced pretty high - I wonder if sony and microsoft plan to drop the price and make them the entry product or just phase them out to get people onto the new consoles
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 12:30:15 AM by hampster »
Zzz

Human Snorenado

• Icon
I think we're all pretty much on the "MS/Sony will continue to support current gen consoles for the next year and a halfish" with big stuff like sports, your CODs, GTAV, etc.  At least I am.  I would expect price drops between now and the release of the new consoles.
yar

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon

Doug sidelined himself so I had to kind of be even more assertive than normal, and I'm already blabbery enough already.

I also, as someone who is at the point in their career where business unit strategy is something I have to help plan and execute, have some strong opinions about the MS conference and really wanted to drive home that while the Xbox is about revenue and that is going to come from games and subs, the product itself has to be poised in such a way to push MS' real corporate competitors, which in no way include Sony and Nintendo.

Older consoles are great for revenue. Both PS3 and 360 have an upsell subscription service with continuity to their new product line and have digital purchases that are also direct revenue with very little overhead.
hex

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
Holy shit andrex.

10/10

Phoenix Dark

Doug sidelined himself so I had to kind of be even more assertive than normal, and I'm already blabbery enough already.

I also, as someone who is at the point in their career where business unit strategy is something I have to help plan and execute, have some strong opinions about the MS conference and really wanted to drive home that while the Xbox is about revenue and that is going to come from games and subs, the product itself has to be poised in such a way to push MS' real corporate competitors, which in no way include Sony and Nintendo.

Older consoles are great for revenue. Both PS3 and 360 have an upsell subscription service with continuity to their new product line and have digital purchases that are also direct revenue with very little overhead.

Good point. Based entirely on the conference, I can't say I'm convinced Microsoft can compete with Apple, Samsung, etc. Or Roku.

Steve Contra

vin

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
Steve Contra should be a guest on the show sometime.
©ZH

Steve Contra

Steve Contra is horribly awkward on the phone, skype, or any other device that requires him to talk not in person.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
He can also be awkward in person
[close]
vin

Phoenix Dark

I would be interested in Words of Wisdom segment from Contra, if he does it while drunk on an alcohol The Bore chooses.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
I would be interested in Words of Wisdom segment from Contra, if he does it while drunk.

Shit, I could do that.  And would be glad to.  Anyone else want to hear from Uncle Triumph on a future episode?  (Robert obviously doesn't, but anything that makes him shake his head sadly is funny in my book)
yar

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
Steve Contra is horribly awkward on the phone, skype, or any other device that requires him to talk not in person.

He can also be awkward in person
[close]
Why did malek change his name to Steve Contra?

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon

Good point. Based entirely on the conference, I can't say I'm convinced Microsoft can compete with Apple, Samsung, etc. Or Roku.

They are in a weird position where on one end they have good business with huge margins catering to corporate information technology, and on the other end they have all of these services and products fighting for every damn nickel and dime in the consumer space (outside of Office and Windows, the cornerstone of the entire company whose interest spans all business units).

I actually think they are much better positioned than either Apple or Samsung for the long term. Neither company has the kind of broad unified services offerings that MS does (Google is the only real competitor there). The problem with MS is finding a consumer product that will electrify consumers to adopt that services platform. Xbone is obviously part of that strategy. Nokia is part of that too, but that hasn't worked out very well. Same for the current releases of Windows RT.

Samsung is going to wake up one day and find out that Huawei or some other Chinese company just destroyed them or they will destroy themselves with trying to tread too far away from Google. Apple has the crushing need to keep innovating a new consumer product regularly to stay relevant and has done nothing to develop a full services platform like MS and Google have despite having literally infinite money.
hex

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
I wonder how hard it is for drinky not to talk about the xboner

Himu

I wonder how hard it is for drinky not to talk about the xboner

pretty easy if he wants to keep his job.
IYKYK

Oblivion

Glad you guys are still making these, even though I haven't heard any for a while.

But what is the deal with Robert doing the intro instead of Kevin? Blasphemy! :punch

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
Need an ETA on the E3 edition.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
"See Mirror's Edge 2 release date"

this weekend maybe
[close]
yar

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
"See Mirror's Edge 2 release date"

this weekend maybe
[close]

seems a good time for another episode of indefensible.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 09:53:57 AM by headwalk »

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
Took you a while to catch that. :lol

Frag, your new avatar on GAF is adorable. Hummingbirds are amazing.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
"Maybe this weekend" leaves to much to chance. Please edit it to "Definitely this weekend" to reflect your true intentions.
©ZH

Human Snorenado

• Icon
...I might have said non-horrible things about Nintendo.  Clearly I'm getting soft in my old age.
yar

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
I will try to get it up tomorrow evening.
sup

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
Aw yeah.  :aah

hampster

:rejoice

...I might have said non-horrible things about Nintendo.  Clearly I'm getting soft in my old age.

There is a lot of shit you could throw at Nintendo but I'm happy at least one company is trying to make games for family & kids even if most of that market has moved on to iOS and F2P PC games.
Zzz

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
I will try to get it up tomorrow evening.

:hyper

:wag