Author Topic: I'm declaring Dee Reynolds the funniest female character currently on TV  (Read 4230 times)

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
... That is, unless someone has objections.

I've been rewatching some Always Sunny episodes on Netflix and I can't get over how funny this incredibly immoral character is. I have many favorite moments that I can't find quick video compilation, but the tipping point for this thread was the  Billboard episode (s04e03) where she dresses up as Crazy Paddy and later as Martina Martinez:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/37649

http://www.hulu.com/watch/37642

Now while I love those videos, I do think they're more it's one her more-slapstick performances. But overall, I maintain that she's one of the funniest written characters on TV. Kaitlin Olson is very talented, and in my search for good videos I ran into her audition video which told an interesting story of how the character was originally written and how much she transformed.

But back to my points, do you guys think any recent roles or women funnier? Zooey Deschanel and Jessica Walter are the only two names that came to mind- eh to the former, while the latter is a solid contender. Why not go back further a bit, how does she stack against someone like Julia Louis-Dreyfus (one of my all time favorites).

I'm just focusing on the characters, from acting to lines, so this is now about the shows or the sum-of-the-parts.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 10:58:50 AM by Shaka Khan »
Unzip

drew

• sy
HOLY SHIT wait the guy who plays mac came up with the show?

Mandark

• Icon
I don't feel strongly enough about any of them to make a specific case, but Parks and Rec has a ton of funny females.  Amy Poehler and Aubrey Plaza are the obvious ones, but Mo Collins as Joan Callamezzo is fantastic.  Ditto Archer, though obviously it's voice acting and they benefit from the amazing editing of the show (since none of their dialogue is recorded as a cast).

So how has there not been a Daria movie starring Aubrey Plaza yet?

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
Oh shit, I totally forgot about Amy Poehler. :(

Aubrey is someone who's slowly being typecasted into the same role, judging by that one movie I saw and a couple of trailers. And going by a couple of interviews and public blunders that character is herself. But Poehler is definitely up there. Parks and Rec has a lot of funny character, unfortunately not many them are regulars or fleshed out. Aubrey's one note is starting to wear thin and Rashida is not written funny.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 03:27:16 AM by Shaka Khan »
Unzip

Himu

I don't feel strongly enough about any of them to make a specific case, but Parks and Rec has a ton of funny females.  Amy Poehler and Aubrey Plaza are the obvious ones, but Mo Collins as Joan Callamezzo is fantastic.  Ditto Archer, though obviously it's voice acting and they benefit from the amazing editing of the show (since none of their dialogue is recorded as a cast).

Seriously.

Marry me.

i'm putting an engagement ring right on your end table, to remind me you get on your goddamn knees.
IYKYK

Himu

Also, Sunny is on netflix?!?!
IYKYK

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
Yeah, seven season are on there. Which is okay since the 8th wasn't so hot, imo.
Unzip

Himu

i thought it started going down around season 5. haven't watched since six.
IYKYK

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
Seven and six has their hits and misses, I agree.
Unzip

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
Oh man Himu, if you stopped watching the show past season 6 do yourself a favor and jump straight to season 7's finale, the two-part School Reunion episode(s). That one was really good.
Unzip

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
I think we all know the real answer to this question

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
The best zingers. :bow
Unzip

nudemacusers

I don't know about 'funniest' necessarily (but I kinda agree), though she is definitely tops when it comes to physical comedy and going out of her way to be scary as shit:

classic dry heave also:

﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
(Image removed from quote.)

That wasn't her, actually. But I do agree that physical humor is one of her strengths. I have to hand it to her for always being down to whatever humiliating, demeaning crap they put her character through. She also gets hit a lot, as I just remembered her getting hit by a chair Rickety "The Terrorist alalalala" Cricket in the wrestling episode. There's a joke (or argument if you're feeling serious) about misogyny in there.

I just started watching the High School Reunion episode, I forgot how everyone's character is being cranked up in this. It highlight's Dee pretty well, mostly as a giant cunt, but what's what I love about her.
Unzip

nudemacusers

oh yeah, i just lazily googled dee gifs haha

but this is a classic too

the part where she loses a chunk of scalp ugh haha
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
That Jersey episode, especially Dennis and Dee's part of it, was really great. :lol
Unzip

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
I think we all know the real answer to this question.

Which, having hung out with the Atlanta riff-raff actor/professional drinker crowd before, is always crazy for me to think of Amber Nash as Pam.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 05:54:14 AM by Creepy Old Guy »
yar

Tucah

Not really going to disagree with Dee being the funniest overall but I'm definitely going to back Parks and Rec for having some pretty fantastic, funny female characters - outside of Rashida Jones they're pretty much all hits. Pam from Archer is definitely way up there too.

I was going to make a mention of Liz or Jenna from 30 Rock but then I remembered that it's not currently on TV anymore  :'(

Polari

• Hello darkness my old friend I come to talk to you again

Eh, I'm not really a big Plaza fan. She's a total babe and all, but I don't really find her shtick that funny. Definitely give you the other two though, and I thought Jenny Slate was good as Jean-Ralphio's sister. I feel bad for Rashida in that show, Ann's such a bummer of a character.

Also:

Tucah

If we can consider streaming on netflix as currently on TV, then I'd go with Lucille Bluth.

Completely forgot that AD was back on Netflix, unquestionably my answer now.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
ASSHOLES THE CORRECT ANSWER IS JULIA LOUIS-DREYFUSS AS VICE PREZNIT SELINA MEYER
duc

I think we all know the real answer to this question.

Which, having hung out with the Atlanta riff-raff actor/professional drinker crowd before, is always crazy for me to think of Amber Nash as Pam.

Ding ding ding.

We have a winner.

Pam.
野球

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
ASSHOLES THE CORRECT ANSWER IS JULIA LOUIS-DREYFUSS AS VICE PREZNIT SELINA MEYER

FUCKING HBO WHY YOU GOTTA ELUDE US POORS!
Unzip

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
After creating this thread I went back to some of my favorite scenes of Dee to sum up her appeal, and then I noticed the pattern: She's either being a total cunt or being humiliated by physical, verbal, and ultimately emotional abuse then going "GODDAMMIT!" over and over. That still leads to come classic and funny moments, but it makes me feel really bad as well. Then again, that's probably why she exists in the first place.

Last night I watched the High School Reunion episode (which is still funny) then went straight to season 1. The difference was jarring-- the characters were more subtle and less caricaturish back then, which is something I kinda miss about the show today. I still appreciate Dennis full-on sociopathy nowadays, but it's more dumb fun than anything. The hints and teases of that in past seasons were more enjoyable, imo.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 02:06:01 PM by Shaka Khan »
Unzip

helios

I don't like the implications of that

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
It was bound to happen, Shaka. This happens to every show that gets big and lasts a long time, the characters become caricatures of themselves. Always Sunny seems to have handled the transition well imo.

I generally agree with this, but I guess it stuck out more since the show used to pride itself as "Seinfeld on crack." This is nowhere near the case anymore, for better or worse.
Unzip

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
Sunny did progressively move further and further away from reality which was disappointing to a degree but whatever.

The show has always been uneven and at times over-eager to prove how crass it can be but that being said, it always manages to deliver 3 or 4 episodes during a season that are among the funniest things ever. Even within weaker episodes there will be moments that are little gems. 

Himu

Liz Lemon is my idol
IYKYK

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
This has more to do with the show than Dee, but since I looked up some a lot of clips on youtube when I made this thread this 40 minute blooper compilation (seasons 2-7) was atop the recommended videos:

It just goes to show how loose their scripts are sometimes. Also, how difficult it was to read those ridiculous lines in some of my favorite scenes.
Unzip

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
Cheryl is better than Pam
itm

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist

:'(
Unzip

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon