Author Topic: Dell Venue 8 Pro looks hot  (Read 22897 times)

Arbys Roast Beef Sandwich

• •••
Dell Venue 8 Pro looks hot
« on: October 04, 2013, 05:03:44 PM »
http://techcrunch.com/2013/10/03/dell-may-have-a-winner-with-its-windows-powered-venue-8-pro/

What's the scoop on Bay Trail, boritos? This looks pretty rad considering that it can run full Windows apps on a smaller formfactor.
うぐう

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
Re: Dell Venue 8 Pro looks hot
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 05:22:22 PM »
No HDMI out, though :(

Toshiba's got one for $30 more that has the HDMI out, releases in November
sup

Tasty

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 05:23:54 PM »
Nexus 7. :aah

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 05:34:16 PM »
Everyone is saying that Bay Trail is finally gonna fix everything that was wrong with Atom. I can't comment without trying one for myself late this year but yeah, most OEMs are back in the game with Win 8.1 devices.

• •••
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 05:36:11 PM »
The Toshiba one seems a little chunkier than this thing though.. Dell's tablet is pretty much Android Tablet size.

I did consider the new Nexus 7 for a while, but was gunshy because my 2012 Nexus 7 turned into a slow POS after a few updates. I understand it's the Tegra 3's fault more than anything, but still...

Baytrail does seem nice though, it can even run TF2 somewhat  :leon

うぐう

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 10:34:58 AM »
No HDMI out, though :(

Toshiba's got one for $30 more that has the HDMI out, releases in November
Why do you know so much about this stuff? How many PCs do you buy a year?

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 02:11:42 PM »
:lol I don't buy much at all, I just keep up with the tech news sites and play with stuff I see in stores

I do regularly sell off stuff to buy other stuff, though

Right now I have a cheap Hisense Sero 7 Android tablet, an iPad Mini, and a Surface RT. Still rocking the PC I built in 2010.
sup

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 06:26:52 PM »
I getcha. I am so out of the loop on tech anymore. I used to be a walking spec sheet for Apple gear and the last 3 generations of consoles. Now, it is like I've flushed all that, as well as not kept up with the current stuff.

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 07:58:26 PM »

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 09:02:07 PM »
Yeah, looks great, but I need that HDMI
sup

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2013, 09:06:19 PM »
Won't USB to HDMI work? I've seen couple of such cables for Android/iPad tablets.

• •••
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2013, 12:34:57 AM »
Only if the chipset supports MHL.
うぐう

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2013, 03:12:02 AM »
Quote from: Zeknurn
I went through the thread and grabbed all the impressions. It seems like a solid device and by having video out via usb it fixes my main issue with it.

• The display is good, in fact better feeling than I thought given the relatively low resolution. The stylus is shipped but hasn't arrived yet.
  • Ice Storm Extreme score is 8684. [Nexus 7 7061]
  • It is light! It feels like the 2013 version of the Nexus 7 actually. The screen is way better then the Acer W3's.
  • Yeah, it seems to be pushing 1920x1080 just fine through a DisplayLink adapter from StarTech.
  • I also have 12.3 GB free out of the box. A micro USB port is on the side and the windows button is on the top. Kind of odd haha.
  • The build quality is good. If you've ever felt the new Nexus 7, it basically feels the exact same. The back is rubbery and it is very thin. Had a tiny bit of light bleed on the bottom of the screen but nothing out of the ordinary for an IPS display.
  • Oh, I also had most of the Clover Trail tablets. You can definitely tell that there is a speed difference between those and this one. Bay Trail looks promising so far! No more stutters while surfing or anything like that. Everything is fluid and fast.
  • Yeah. This generation is Atom in name only. The feel is so much better...
  • The cable is very short...I would guess around 4 feet.
  • I had the Acer W3 so I'm used to the 8 inch form factor. I actually like it a lot. It's amazing how much it can do even though it is so small. The actual tablet is much lighter than the W3 and that also helps. Some of the icons can be hard to click on but with scaling improvements in 8.1, it isn't so bad. The screen is really nice with wide viewing angles so that also helps. Once the pen comes and if it works, this tablet will become amazing. Imagine inking on OneNote in an 8 inch form factor while running other x86 programs in the background. It's pretty cool. I read a lot of medical books and having a light tablet that I can read and annotate with is very exciting. We shall see on Monday!

By the way, Civ 5 is installing via Steam haha. I REALLY think this test will be a bust, although some benchmarks peg this processor as competitive with the Ivy Bridge i3 in the x202E.
  • Didn't think you'd ever see Civ 5 playing on an 8 inch tablet did you? =) Works well!! I used low settings for everything with 1280 x 800 resolution.
  • It gets VERY warm near the bottom where the CPU is but other than slightly slow turns, it plays Civ 5 like a champ! This is awesome!!
[Frame rate is in the teens but it doesn't matter with Civ. The processor seems to handle the background tasks pretty well early in the game. Later on I'm not so sure. I do have other games but I am about to run out of space on this HDD ugh. I'm curious to see how Starcraft 2 plays on it. DiRT 2 will probably play well too. Civ 5 is just more fun because it is optimized for touch.]
  • Problem...the tablet does not recognize non-powered external hard drives...ugh! Flash drives work though...this is like the TPT2 all over again

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=87650074&postcount=2569

Source: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/dell/59202-venue-8-pro-owner-s-lounge.html
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 03:25:17 AM by MCD »

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2013, 06:46:40 AM »
These fuckers made it 399€ for the base model over here.

Fuck them.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2013, 06:15:04 PM »
this guy did some gaming tests on the Asus t100, which has the same guts as this Dell and all the other 8" win8.1 tablets, so expect pretty much the same performance:

http://www.youtube.com/user/th3drow?feature=watch

this one impressed me:

sup

• •••
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2013, 10:43:56 PM »
Holy crap, Fallout 3 even runs semi-decently.
うぐう

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2013, 10:48:12 PM »
yeah, this thing's shit hot.
duc

hampster

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2013, 11:57:54 PM »
I saw this thread a few weeks ago and ignored it. It wasn't until Eel mention on the Cruncheons that it is a full 8.1 tablet that I got interested. It definitely looks hot, I'm thinking a christmas present to myself :-[ I would love to load one up with a selection of indie games from steam/desura. It seems up to the task but the somewhat poor performance of bastion in the Eel's youtube link has me wondering how often I would run into stubborn games
Zzz

• •••
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2013, 11:44:37 PM »
http://i.imgur.com/GirBgqD.jpg

This thing is fucking awesome. Runs indie games and older PC games like a champ.
うぐう

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2013, 11:48:39 PM »
Where'd you get one? Earliest they'll ship 64gb ones on the website is Nov 11.
sup

• •••
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2013, 11:54:48 PM »
Walmart had 'em. I was at the electronics deparment and spotted a boxed unit behind the glass lockup.
うぐう

Beezy

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2013, 02:54:38 AM »
Oh shit. I wonder just how hot it gets while gaming though.

• •••
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2013, 10:47:00 AM »
Oh shit. I wonder just how hot it gets while gaming though.

It gets acceptably warm, but not completely hot. Don't think my iPad ever got as hot as this guy did after an hour of Fallout 3 though.
うぐう

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2013, 11:11:44 AM »
That Civ V pic gave me a chub. I'd really like to know how bad it crawls after 300 turns.
©ZH

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2013, 12:28:04 PM »
You can install some FO3 mods for low-spec rigs and get better performance. I bet if you spend a few minutes tweaking it out you can get the framerate at a steady 30
sup

• •••
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2013, 02:25:18 PM »
Yeah I was looking into those last night, I should get those set up and see if they make a difference. But even without those mods installed, on low settings the framerate hit 30fps at times but would dip to around 20, which is... really not that awful considering how tiny this fuckin thing is. Just blown away at the amount of tech companies can now stuff in such a small package.

I was also able to get an external display via HDMI hooked up with one of these things we had at work: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009V53L06/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=
うぐう

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2013, 12:08:27 AM »
Imagine what's gonna be available in five years.  Fuck, I can't wait until they can put my brain into a robot and I can leave this shitty, fleshy container behind.
yar

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2013, 12:27:13 AM »
@Arbys

Is Atom really different and better now? I still have nightmares from Atom.

• •••
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2013, 12:37:06 AM »
@Arbys

As someone who's owned a few Atom netbooks, the answer is YES. Atom is pretty real now... I guess Intel isn't messing around this generation. I would put the performance at about the same as a Core 2 Duo-era processor which in hindsight isn't saying much but very impressive given that the CPU is passively-cooled (?) and runs at a much lower wattage. Windows 8.1 and pretty much every non-gaming app I've thrown at it works really snappily, much more so than the Surface RT I owned for all of three weeks.

Really I sound like a shill for this fuckin tablet but I'm in love. Best gadget I've purchased in the last three years.

Also, a present for himumu:

« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 12:43:30 AM by Arbys Roast Beef Sandwich »
うぐう

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2013, 01:20:32 AM »
Nice. Surface 1 drove me crazy at times when updating or downloading so to gear it's better than that is awesome.

Thanks, Arbys.

And oh, can I assume the performance is at least close to Tegra 4 here:

Would definitely seal the deal for me.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2013, 03:06:42 AM »
ordered one.
duc

Reb

• Hon. Mr. Tired
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2013, 04:39:29 AM »
I hope this doesn't come out in Holland until I get my buying impulse under control.

Do I really need a third tablet?
brb

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2013, 02:19:41 PM »
Whoa, this thing is pretty fast for the size. I thought Surface 1 was okay for what I'm using it for (word processing and web), but this is quite a leap forward. Still setting it up, gotta backup and delete the recovery and mount an sd card, but after just 15 minutes with it I'm already impressed.
sup

huckleberry

« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2013, 02:57:21 PM »
i am super interested in one of these, especially after listening to you guys talk about it on the cruncheons.
eel and drinky please give detailed impressions.
wub

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2013, 03:30:13 PM »
I know we will!
sup

hampster

« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2013, 06:14:26 PM »
Whoa, this thing is pretty fast for the size. I thought Surface 1 was okay for what I'm using it for (word processing and web), but this is quite a leap forward. Still setting it up, gotta backup and delete the recovery and mount an sd card, but after just 15 minutes with it I'm already impressed.

Which did you get? The dell or one of other 3 you mentioned on the cruncheons?
Zzz

« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2013, 07:06:54 PM »
@Arbys

As someone who's owned a few Atom netbooks, the answer is YES. Atom is pretty real now... I guess Intel isn't messing around this generation. I would put the performance at about the same as a Core 2 Duo-era processor which in hindsight isn't saying much but very impressive given that the CPU is passively-cooled (?) and runs at a much lower wattage. Windows 8.1 and pretty much every non-gaming app I've thrown at it works really snappily, much more so than the Surface RT I owned for all of three weeks.

Really I sound like a shill for this fuckin tablet but I'm in love. Best gadget I've purchased in the last three years.

Also, a present for himumu:

(Image removed from quote.)

Man, the foliage in Shenmue still doesn't look too bad.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2013, 07:11:54 PM »
The Dell, it's the only one out right now.

Seems I can't use a microSD card to create a recovery drive and copy the partition so I can free up 7GB of space, so now I have to wait until the USB OTG cable comes in and use a flash drive. Only 10.2 GB free space right now :(

sup

« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2013, 08:02:41 PM »

Seems I can't use a microSD card to create a recovery drive and copy the partition so I can free up 7GB of space, so now I have to wait until the USB OTG cable comes in and use a flash drive. Only 10.2 GB free space right now :(

Do you know how much SkyDrive storage is free with a standard account?

I got 25 GB with my phone, and I love it. I think with the Metro app, it doesn't store everything on your device, just downloads it when you need it. So maybe that might help a bit.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2013, 08:12:33 PM »
http://i.imgur.com/GirBgqD.jpg

This thing is fucking awesome. Runs indie games and older PC games like a champ.

Nice, glad it looks good on there cause I sure as hell aint debugging shit
fat

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2013, 08:18:27 PM »

Do you know how much SkyDrive storage is free with a standard account?

I got 25 GB  with my phone, and I love it. I think with the Metro app, it doesn't store everything on your device, just downloads it when you need it. So maybe that might help a bit.

Says I have 7 GB
sup

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2013, 01:13:57 AM »
Free SkyDrive accounts give 7GB storage nowadays, they used to provide 25 GB back when they didn't have a usable sync client. People who were already using the service before they reduced the quota got to keep their free 25GB
QED

MCD

• Fastest selling shit

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2013, 07:57:41 AM »
Yeah, I agree with most of that. Screen auto-brightness is an odd complaint, as you can easily turn it off.  It really comes down to what you expect out of it, and what you're going to use it for. I sold my iPad Mini yesterday evening, as I didn't really have a use for it after I bought this, but it won't be a replacement for some folks.

I'll save extended talk for the next Cruncheons, but since that might be a while (after PS4 launch), I'll mention a couple of things here.

First of all, the desktop is tiny, so if you're going to be using desktop programs a lot without a KB/M you might want to get a stylus and save yourself quite a bit of frustration. I'm gonna order that $35 "active" stylus off Dell's website.

Secondly, curb your expectations for the gaming. Yeah, it runs some surprising stuff, but graphics-intensive games will make it run pretty hot. You're not going to be playing those for any length of time. Indie stuff and old PC games are fine, some make it get a bit warm but not uncomfortably so.

Battery life is pretty good, considering the size of this thing and that it's running a full desktop operating system. It's going to fluctuate moreso than an iPad or Android tablet, of course. From a 100% charge last night, it's at 58% right now with around 3 1/2 hours of active normal use (web browsing, downloading and installing updates and programs).

Also, remember to update your BIOS and drivers. The latest versions are on Dell's website.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 08:01:08 AM by Eel O'Brian »
sup

huckleberry

« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2013, 10:36:28 AM »
i watched a youtube video of a guy last night trying to change the resolution of a youtube video playing in chrome on the venue. it was hilarious how many times he tried to tap on one thing and ended tapping another. still looks pretty damn sweet though.
wub

• •••
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2013, 02:02:40 PM »
Yeah battery and standby times are weird. I don't know if it's because Windows Update does a bunch of things in the background while the tablet is on sleep mode but I'm getting really good standby times on some days and garbage on others.

I bought the stylus and it is TRASH for any sort of handwriting applications. A WACOM this is not, but it works in a pinch if you need to draw things or use it as a pointer device (sidenote, it works awesome for old adventure games and slower dungeon crawlers like the first two Fallouts -- not sure if it's the best input device for say, a Diablo 2 or Path of Exile). I do love that I can beam what I'm drawing straight onto a projector we have at work with a DisplayLink dongle.

i watched a youtube video of a guy last night trying to change the resolution of a youtube video playing in chrome on the venue. it was hilarious how many times he tried to tap on one thing and ended tapping another. still looks pretty damn sweet though.
Touch recognition is hit and miss thanks to how small it is. I think the way iPads and Android tablets work is that they make an approximation of what you're supposed to be touching depending on where it registers your fingerpress, whereas Windows is more precise.
うぐう

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2013, 02:20:28 PM »
Touch in Windows 8 works the same way, it's just that (as with DPI scaling) desktop apps need to be updated to support it (which many might never be). I've heard Chrome in particular has major problems with both touch and high DPI on Windows.
QED

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2013, 02:07:59 AM »
Eel, you seem to run through a lot of hardware. Do you end up spending money, or does selling it rapidly mean it doesn't cost you much to stay on the upgrade treadmill?

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2013, 08:24:40 AM »
I spend a little, but I almost always sell the previous piece to offset the cost. For instance, I sold my iPad Mini for $250 to help pay for this, so out of pocket I paid about $75 (counting tax).
sup

hampster

« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2013, 12:06:41 AM »
Eel, does the video out over USB work well?
Zzz

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2013, 12:19:43 AM »
haven't tried it
sup

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2013, 09:19:17 AM »
sup

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2013, 11:39:46 PM »
this tab's the perky nubian tetas. been using it at work for just about everything, even some once-off unit test builds. bay trail's the real shit.
duc

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2013, 11:40:04 PM »
dp
duc

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2013, 12:09:37 PM »
Taking my 32GB back to Wal-Mart, Amazon has the 64GB for $327, which is only $6 more than I paid for the 32GB with tax. If you're thinking about getting one of these, absolutely spring for the 64GB.
sup

• •••
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2013, 12:31:03 PM »
Dell has the 64gb for $299 now. They credited me $50 for bitching about it.
うぐう

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2013, 04:12:10 PM »
Dell has the 64gb for $299 now. They credited me $50 for bitching about it.

Why do these not have HDMI-out?   :'(
ど助平

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2013, 06:15:03 PM »
Lenovo IdeaTab Miix2 8-Inch is also now available on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-IdeaTab-Miix2-8-Inch-Tablet/dp/B00F2ENTYI

Difference between it and the Dell:

Quote from: Wpcentral
The Miix2 though sports an 8 MP rear camera (versus 5 MP for the Dell) and a 2 MP front camera (versus 1.2 MP for the Dell). The Miix 2 also features the unique Veriface Face Recognition Software, so you can just login with your mug and the Miix 2 also weighs less (0.77lb versus 0.87lb for the Dell). Finally, the Dell is a matte black with a soft-touch paint while the Lenovo is a silver-metal.

And from the comments there:

One difference is in the CPU/RAM combination:

Miix 2 uses the Intel z3740 with 2 GB LPDDR3. (http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/tablets/ideatab/miix-series/miix-2/#techspecs)

Dell uses the Intel z3740D with 2 GB DDR3L-RS. (http://www.dell.com/us/p/dell-venue-8-pro/pd)

The CPU in the Miix 2 is better. Found a summary here (http://wimages.vr-zone.net/2013/08/intel-bay-trail%EF%BC%8Dt.png).

http://www.wpcentral.com/now-shipping-lenovo-ideatab-miix2-8-inch-tablet-amazon

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2013, 06:39:04 PM »
battery life is worse on the lenovo
sup

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2013, 06:41:47 PM »
For real? Shitbin then.