Author Topic: XBL Turds with Gold |OT| - Best game ever Dark Souls now free  (Read 12532 times)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: XBL Turds with Gold |OT| - Toy Soldiers Cold War exists, play it maybe
« Reply #120 on: March 19, 2014, 11:34:22 PM »
Another case of buying something on disc, and never playing it. Crap!
It turned out, for whatever reason CivRev was download was blocked for Japan, so I was unable to bag it. Ah, well.

Dungeon Defenders is hella fun co-op
Hey, yeah. Are you doing local co-op?

Sceneman, update the thread title!

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
I should get into this now, while the online is busy

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
Yeah local co-op with my little dude. He loves the tower defense element, I love having a giant sword to slice through bitches. It works out great

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
Worthless sale :piss

I was all geared up to poo poo Dungeon Defenders, but it's actually really good!

There's a deceptively meaty game under the facade of cutesy XBLA game, seems to be very competent RPG wise, which is awesome. The tutorial guy had a very soothing voice. I can see myself getting hooked on this. Needa get my buns online and beat all levels with 4 players. The game is clearly designed for co-op, it was quite arduous running around a big map to set up all the defenses between rounds with just one dude.

Tons of stats and worthless loot :lawd It's better than Borderlands so far, because it's not trying to be especially funny.

I found the game terrible initially as I picked Monk class who starts off useless and is clearly support class only (his starting towers don't even damage enemies), so I made a Squire and he is way more powerful to start with. My main criticism for the game was your guy moves way slow, but  found thats something you can upgrade so no biggie.

Co-op with me Chronovore :noah
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 03:58:37 PM by The Sceneman »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
YOU HAVE MY AXE!

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Hitman Absolution is April 1
fat

Raban

• The baby...
SRY

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
That's the more recent one right? Sweet, I've never played a Hitman game before.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
YOU HAVE MY AXE!

Cool, I can show you the ropes!

Game is crazy addicting once you get into the swing of things. I couldn't put it down this weekend!

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Apparently this one is vastly different from the previous ones. So I would probably play this one and Blood Money side by side to compare the two.
fat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Hitman Absolution
« Reply #131 on: March 30, 2014, 11:04:46 PM »
Apparently this one is vastly different from the previous ones. So I would probably play this one and Blood Money side by side to compare the two.

Yeah, I've had Blood Money on standby forever, so I'll be able to do the same. Exciting! I haven't played Hitman since the second one!

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
so we're sure Hitman is the game? Can't find any mention of it online. Guess we'll have to trust demi :rejoice

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Hitman Absolution (Retail) & Deadlight (XBLA)
fat

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
Never played hitman, so will download and...never play

Already own Deadlight from some $3 bundle...will continue to never play
sup

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
oh god, Deadlight. I made the mistake of buying that when it came out. Never has a game started so well and gotten consistently worse, like a perfect downward trend

Probably one of the worst games I've played on 360

Jim Sterling says it best:

I don't think I've ever seen a game that manages to start so strong and get progressively worse. Even the story falls apart, opening as a decent little homage to The Walking Dead before devolving into straight rip-off territory, gleefully pilfering the best bits of other zombie stories and making them less interesting. As Randall starts spewing quasi-philosophical soundbites and experiencing labored flashbacks to his wife and child, one sees only a contrived attempt to make the game seem "deep" and "emotional." Really, it just comes off like a developer ticking a check box, making sure it's got the token amount of angst and the factory-standard dream sequences, just enough to fool the public into thinking it's artistic. By the time Deadlight reaches its "twist" ending, the reveal has been telegraphed so blatantly by the preceding emotional parade that it comes off as corny and insulting.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 05:49:43 PM by The Sceneman »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
I didnt hate it as bad as people did. Its not a bad choice for free.
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Hitmonchan is free
fat

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
The kicking fiend! OP updated.

Gonna give it a whirl tonight, hopefully an easy 1k.

yeah Deadlight isn't the worst game on XBLA, but it's one of the worst I've paid full price for.

Still worth playing for free, and piss easy 400/400 to boot :larry

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: XBL Turds with Gold |OT| - Shitman Assolution available now
« Reply #139 on: April 01, 2014, 07:41:30 PM »
This is the first Squeenix game which hasn't been blocked from international purchase. Usually they get very protection-y about their IP-region-locking.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: XBL Turds with Gold |OT| - Shitman Assolution available now
« Reply #140 on: April 21, 2014, 09:00:58 PM »
Update OP for DEADLIGHT.

And post a warning about the utter mediocrity which will be foisted on anyone foolish enough to download. Will post impressions in the Deadlight dedicate thread.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
Ah, for free you can't go wrong - the game starts well and goes consistently downhill. EASY completion so that you may keep your OCD in check.

I still havent played Hitman! I want to complete Lara Croft and Dead Island before I start another GWG title - this promotion while excellent has essentially created a backlog nightmare for an OCD cheevo whore like myself.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
I thought you were playing Lara Croft and GoL with QuietID, no?

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
I beat Lara Croft couch co-op with my homegirl Ellie - the last achievement requires collecting all the items and is a bitch/grind

last couple of Dead Island cheevos are grind based too, to be honest I may say fuck the achievement game - it's too stressful and time consuming and I have too much stuff to play. OCD still holding me back mayne

:tocry

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
Hitman is a super chill game but I can see you getting really addicted to the achievements/challenges.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
stolen from the other thread; thanks, whoever posted this first!
« Reply #145 on: April 28, 2014, 09:37:23 AM »

:lol

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
First game is apparently "Dust: An Elysian Tale"
fat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Ha! I thought you were making a landfill joke about the cart conditions.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
No, I dont care about that stupid landfill thing. OMG AN URBAN LEGEND, BROUGHT TO U BY XBOX (tm)
fat

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
It would be unusual if Dust was the first game as they normally do Games on Demand then XBLA on the 16th?

Its a great game though, I already have 400/400 as I picked it up on sale recently. I'm not against something I've already played being on GWG this month - trying to catch up on so many games and achievements  :'(

oh and I started Hitman. What a weird game. Pretty chill and enjoyable though. Who wants to boost this multiplayer social contracts thing
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 09:12:09 PM by The Sceneman »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
May GWG:

Dust: A Furry Tale (XBLA)

Saints Row 3 (Retail)
fat

Raban

• The baby...
my Live runs out at the end of this month but I'm glad I'll be able to scoop SR3 (I already have Dust), at least now I can shoot for the 1000 in it. And maybe co-op with some boritos
SRY

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
I already 1500 Saints Row 3 - get Saints 4 and I'll play
fat

Raban

• The baby...
doesn't that game run like ass on 360?
SRY

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
I dont give a fuck, I'm mothafuckin demitrius.
fat

Raban

• The baby...
SRY

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
SRIV ran fine for me on my slim 360 aside from locking up a couple of times. :-[
Hi

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
I already 1500 Saints Row 3 - get Saints 4 and I'll play

Yep I've maxed out both of these games already, which is kind of a relief tbh, as I'm trying to mop up my backlog currently

chronovore

• relapsed dev
SRtT -- SWEET!
I'm always happy to have a digital copy of something I own; not swapping discs appeals to my chair-affixed buttocks.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Dust is downloading. Apparently it's a Metroid-like game?

Deleted Dungeon Defenders and deleted its history: never managed to unlock an Achievement in the 4 hours I played it.

Raban

• The baby...
It's closer to something like Muramasa than Metroid. Really mashy hack-n-slash combat takes the center stage.
SRY

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Games With Gold for JUNE

- Dark Souls (Retail)
- Charlie Murder (XBLA)
- Super Street Fighter 4 AE (Retail)

- Max: Curse of Brotherhood (XBONE)
- Halo: Spartan Assault (XBONE)

Free games with Games with Gold**. Since Games with Gold launched on Xbox 360 a year ago, over 12 million people have enjoyed great free games, resulting in nearly 200 million hours of free fun playing Games with Gold titles. We’ve been learning from your feedback and have focused on making improvements each month to the selection of titles. To celebrate the one-year anniversary of Games with Gold for Xbox 360 and as a thank you for helping shape this program, members will receive an additional free Xbox 360 game in June. The Games with Gold titles for Xbox 360 in June are “Dark Souls,” “Charlie Murder” and a bonus game of “Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition.” We’re pleased to bring Games with Gold to Xbox Live Gold members on Xbox One in June. Members will have subscription-based access to free games ranging from top hits to breaking indie stars. The program will launch on Xbox One with “Max: The Curse of Brotherhood” and “Halo: Spartan Assault.” A single Gold membership will get you access to the free games for both Xbox One and Xbox 360.
fat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
I had to take a peek and see if Charlie Murder had any 4- and 6-pt Achievements, like Dishwasher did. Thank goodness, it doesn't:
http://www.trueachievements.com/Charlie-Murder/achievements.htm

I spent way, wayyyy too much time on Dishwasher, just trying to get my Gamerscore for it back to a multiple of 5. Damned OCD-riddled brain. :maf

Street Fighter I own on an unplayed disc, I think. But Capcom will probably region-IP-block my download. Dark Souls I already have, but hope I can grab a digital copy.

How are there three titles for June?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
It's actually Dark Souls / Charlie Murder - the "bonus" game is SSF4AE

They did this before in August.

http://majornelson.com/2013/07/31/games-with-gold-for-august-crackdown-dead-rising-2-dr2-case-zero/
fat

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
I had to take a peek and see if Charlie Murder had any 4- and 6-pt Achievements, like Dishwasher did. Thank goodness, it doesn't:
http://www.trueachievements.com/Charlie-Murder/achievements.htm

I spent way, wayyyy too much time on Dishwasher, just trying to get my Gamerscore for it back to a multiple of 5. Damned OCD-riddled brain. :maf

Street Fighter I own on an unplayed disc, I think. But Capcom will probably region-IP-block my download. Dark Souls I already have, but hope I can grab a digital copy.

How are there three titles for June?

There are 3 titles becuase its the anniversary of the promo apparently. Digital versions of Dark Souls and SFIV is grrrreat, I'll be snagging those. Will probably play a lot of Street Fighter! Im hoping the Dark SOuls DLC is discounted too, as they often do that as a tie in to GWG. Not for fucking World of Keflings though  :maf
Nope - but Charlie Murder has an unobtainable achievement :rofl

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: XBL Turds with Gold |OT| - Dust is free, play it if you haven't already
« Reply #165 on: June 02, 2014, 08:12:09 PM »
Dark Souls is up; change OP, kthxbye.

Takao

« Reply #166 on: June 02, 2014, 09:09:39 PM »
Dark Souls is free right now, even for those that don't subscribe to XBLG.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #167 on: June 02, 2014, 10:58:47 PM »
Wow, that's surprising!

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #168 on: June 03, 2014, 07:58:03 PM »
I digitally bought this for $15 last winter and never played it. :(

I bought it at launch for ¥6000 and never finished it. Still may never finish it. I'm going to give it another stab though.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #169 on: June 04, 2014, 12:02:55 AM »
I bought it on Steam for $7.50 without knowing it was a bad port and never played it either. :(
AMC

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #170 on: June 04, 2014, 01:37:51 AM »
I bought it on Steam for $7.50 without knowing it was a bad port and never played it either. :(

Aren't there readily available means of fixing it?

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
Re: XBL Turds with Gold |OT| - Best game ever Dark Souls now free
« Reply #171 on: June 04, 2014, 12:32:32 PM »

I'm just focusing on the $7.50. haha
AMC

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #172 on: June 04, 2014, 12:33:54 PM »

Kinda. There are resolution mods and framerate mods, but they're not great. For example, if you slide down a ladder too fast with the 60fps mod you'll fall through the floor into oblivion.
zzzzz

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #173 on: June 04, 2014, 01:10:39 PM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #174 on: June 04, 2014, 09:56:30 PM »
Yeah, there was a fairly hefty system update for 360 yesterday, too. I'm guessing it was whatever infrastructure changes were necessary for getting the previously Gold-gated items available under Silver memberships.

It sure would be nice if XBL on 360 would show me what the XBone players on my Friends list were doing. It just says, "Xbox One" and then leaves me to wonder. It doesn't seem like it should be hard to blit the game's cover art and status to 360 players.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #175 on: June 04, 2014, 10:00:42 PM »
If you have a phone, just install the Xbox One Smartglass version.
fat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #176 on: June 04, 2014, 10:07:44 PM »
Sure, OK, thanks for that.

I just mean when I'm on the Dashboard, there is no information about what a portion of my fList is doing, other than they're on the new system. It seems like just putting the game's info up there would be a neat way to get 360 owners more interested in joining their friends, make more system sales.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #177 on: June 04, 2014, 10:20:40 PM »
I'm aware of how the system works, I'm sure they just aren't compatible, due to the underlying information. Probably some type of XML incompatibility or something. Even the two webstores are different between the two machines.

You arent missing out. They're either "Watching TV" or "Watching Netflix"
fat

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #178 on: June 04, 2014, 11:13:06 PM »
Is charlie murder good

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #179 on: June 05, 2014, 01:52:10 AM »
It has an unobtainable achievement, so no

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I have no idea, Dishwasher was technically a well coded game, but I couldn't get past the presentation  :yuck
[close]