Author Topic: XBL Turds with Gold |OT| - Best game ever Dark Souls now free  (Read 12530 times)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: XBL Turds with Gold |OT| - Best game ever Dark Souls now free
« Reply #180 on: June 05, 2014, 03:37:49 AM »
Is charlie murder good
It has an unobtainable achievement, so no

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I have no idea, Dishwasher was technically a well coded game, but I couldn't get past the presentation  :yuck
[close]
Sceneman's back! I was beginning to get worried about you, boo.

Dishwasher is a decent game, if you can get past the "angry teenager drawing on his school binder" visual aesthetic. Then again, I hated it for including OCD-tripping Achievements which weren't a multiple of 5, and I ended up playing a friend's copy and staying up until 2:30 AM on the last night of a USA trip just so I could get my score on it back to a number which wouldn't mess up my Gamerscore total.

:maf Stupid brain. Stupid nonstandard Achievements. :maf

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #181 on: June 05, 2014, 11:04:24 AM »
I'm walking around in the tutorial of Dark Souls and some huge demon has his way with me repeatedly. This is the whole point of the game, right? I'm not sure this janky Japanese attempt at a WRPG is for me.

Something to keep in mind: DS is challenging but pretty much always fair. If something seems impossible or unreasonably difficult the explanation is almost uniformly "You're doing it wrong."

I think DS's dumb reputation as "hardest game everrrrrr" contributes to a lot of confusion about the game.
zzzzz

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #182 on: June 09, 2014, 03:03:59 AM »
Well, "fair" is a bit of a stretch.

The game starts players out next to a topmost elevator landing, and two directions they can go on the surface. The elevator leads to an overpowered area where it is difficult or impossible to damage the ghost enemies, and one of the two remaining paths leads to a graveyard where skeletons, traditionally the easy fodder of D&D games, will make mincemeat of low-leveled players.

So, giving a player 2/3rds of their options as repeated, painful deaths is not really fair, but it does give the player an immediate example of what the entire rest of the game will be like.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #183 on: June 09, 2014, 01:03:02 PM »
Well, "fair" is a bit of a stretch.

The game starts players out next to a topmost elevator landing, and two directions they can go on the surface. The elevator leads to an overpowered area where it is difficult or impossible to damage the ghost enemies, and one of the two remaining paths leads to a graveyard where skeletons, traditionally the easy fodder of D&D games, will make mincemeat of low-leveled players.

So, giving a player 2/3rds of their options as repeated, painful deaths is not really fair, but it does give the player an immediate example of what the entire rest of the game will be like.

You can't access the elevator without first going the way you're supposed to, and it's the fault of the player for just hurling themselves repeatedly at the skeletons without stopping and saying "hey, maybe this isn't the way I'm supposed to go. I'll look for other paths."

Dark Souls is a game about a) observing your surroundings and b) observing your enemy. If you do that the game is entirely fair.
zzzzz

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #184 on: June 09, 2014, 01:24:50 PM »
Oh wait, you're talking about New Londo. I forgot about that. Haha, ok 2/3 paths = death, but still! The player should already have learned from the Asylum Demon that seemingly impossible = find new route.
zzzzz

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #185 on: June 09, 2014, 07:37:53 PM »
Oh wait, you're talking about New Londo. I forgot about that. Haha, ok 2/3 paths = death, but still! The player should already have learned from the Asylum Demon that seemingly impossible = find new route.
That's a very good point!

I just replayed the opening yesterday, and in the three years since I last played it, boy have I lost all muscle memory; I entirely suck at this game. Of course, there's something to be said about Japanese developers taking the nearly standardized control scheme for a third person, on-foot adventure game and deciding to change everything up. This interface is SO CLUNKY.   I don't have the patience for this game at this time.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #186 on: June 09, 2014, 08:41:40 PM »
Being able to use a mouse in the DS2 PC menus is pure  :lawd
zzzzz