Author Topic: Drakengard 3 - This Silence Is Mine  (Read 4459 times)

ZephyrFate

Drakengard 3 - This Silence Is Mine
« on: December 17, 2013, 01:51:19 AM »

Surprised this even got a localization chance from S-E, and it'll be out around the same time as Lightning Returns. Hopefully they can nab the same localization team (8-4) that worked on NIER to get this game out.

Let's hope it's as totally fucked up as the first Drakengard game

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Re: Drakengard 3 - This Silence Is Mine
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 10:02:22 PM »
You have to preorder it before March 4 [the release date is May 20], you don't get the Japanese voice DLC. :goty
dog

Rahxephon91

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 10:35:34 PM »
Also the handler is Digital River which I've heard some people have had some experiences with.

Is this the new way to release physical copies of niche games? The JoJo PS3 game is also getting a "straight from the publisher" only physical release here. I guess it makes sense, still kind of sucks. Sure you can download these games, but I still like to recommend people these niche games and have them go pick them up.

Well I like having physical copies so I'll be pre-ordering it. Don't really care about the DLC though.

I'm still on the fence about this game though. It looks like butt and apparently runs like it as well.

Speaking of Drakengard. This is awesome.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 11:04:04 PM »
It's not as bad graphically as its predecessors were in their era, and the cutscenes are really nice to look at in S-E fashion. It runs slightly better than its predecessors, and likely better than Lightning Returns, so there's that. The gameplay is silky smooth which is something you really couldn't say about Cavia games, and the music is great.

I'd get the game.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 08:10:19 PM »
I don't really agree with that. Drakengard 1 had solid visuals for a PS2 game. The character models were pretty good and the presentation in that game was actually pretty top tier. Drakengard 2 was far cheaper looking no doubt, but still they looked like PS2 games. Drakengard 3 looks pretty bad relative to current PS3 games. Dosen't help that the framerate is supposedly awful. Yeah the cutscenes look good, some nice animation for sure.

Also, I would say Drakengard 2 has good and smooth gameplay.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 04:39:04 AM »
It has OKAY gameplay. I know, I 100% both games. D2 has smoother combat but Drakengard 1 was fucking abysmal looking graphically. Nice CGI, decent face models (That were only rendered for cutscenes and not on the models themselves), and then absolutely ugly everything else. It was really, really ugly for 2003. Drakengard 2 was even worse in 2006.

It didn't even look as good as Dynasty Warriors 4.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 09:39:43 AM »
Has anyone here actually played D3 yet? If it's good, I wouldn't mind preordering well in advance to get the extra DLC, but I'd hate to waste that money on a kinda-decent/kinda-janky game that's only notable for having a crazy story.
dog

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 12:52:08 PM »
This and Dark Souls II are my most wanted games this year.

Glad to hear the game is good. Don't really care for the graphics. The first two games looked pretty bad, but the crazy story and awesome music made me enjoy the games very much.

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 02:44:46 PM »
Got shipping notification yesterday, totally forgot about it.
野球

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 04:24:30 PM »
I got my DLC code, but I haven't got a shipping notification yet.
©@©™

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 04:34:40 PM »
I didn't get a DLC code because I preordered on day one (October). Apparently it was only good if you ordered from February on.

Cause that makes sense.
野球

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 05:47:48 PM »
Zero is totally awesome. Top-tier yandere waifu. :lawd
dog

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 06:05:10 PM »
I want to protect her.
©@©™

Rahxephon91

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2014, 06:53:01 PM »
I already hate all these characters, including Zero. She is giving me Kaine from Nier vibes.

Jesus is this one ugly mess of a game. Even those cheapo moe rpgs run and look better.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 06:57:15 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2014, 09:55:30 PM »
This game is trashy and bad, but God help me, I like it.
dog

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2014, 12:09:42 AM »
trashy and bad Japanese action game? sounds like my steez!
SRY

Himu

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2014, 12:12:02 AM »
How is the action?
IYKYK

ZephyrFate

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2014, 03:44:21 AM »
Zero is Kaine from Nier and that's so fucking amazing and awesome.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2014, 04:53:15 AM »
How is the action?
It's ok. Just a decent controlling hack n slash game. Just seems to run like garbage for no reason.

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2014, 02:39:46 PM »

Is this a plot point or just a thematic similarity?
野球

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2014, 02:48:19 PM »

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Kaine's costume from Nier was a preorder bonus.
[close]
dog

Rahxephon91

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2014, 03:38:51 PM »
The worst character from Nier is now the main character in her own game.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2014, 03:47:41 PM »
Do strong, independent women make you feel inadequate, Rahx? :hitler
dog

Rahxephon91

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2014, 03:49:36 PM »
No, those are my favorite characters.

I love the Major in Stand Alone Complex.

I love Revolutinary Girl Utena. Espcially the movie.

The Boss is one of the best character in MGS.

I did a school report on how awesome the modern Batwoman is.

I just hate Zero and how obnxious she comes off as.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 03:53:27 PM by Rahxephon91 »

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2014, 04:08:04 PM »
I love the Major in Stand Alone Complex.

I legit didn't know she had a name until the end bit where the dude with the goggles shouts her name. Major this, Major that #nonames

so affecting tho  :stahp
[close]

ZephyrFate

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2014, 04:13:11 PM »

Is this a plot point or just a thematic similarity?
It's the DLC outfit and also the Lunar Flower connection.

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2014, 04:14:39 PM »
honestly i hate kaine too, she swear enough to bring the game to GTA level, her whole backstory is dumb as fuck and i think she gets fataly impaled at least 3 fucking times

but really the whole story of nier is...

« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 04:18:17 PM by magus »
<----

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2014, 07:31:34 PM »
Got my copy in the mail today. Think I'll take a little break from Super Robot Wars Z3-1 and try it out.
野球

Rahxephon91

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2014, 09:20:18 PM »
Yep, a holy goddness in this world is going to call someone an asshat.

The cursing in this game is overdone and feels unnatural.

I hate this game.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 10:38:46 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2014, 10:16:36 PM »
:patel
dog

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2014, 10:21:32 PM »
This game is trashy and bad, but God help me, I like it.

Sounds like a Drakengard game alright. :shaq

ZephyrFate

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2014, 02:24:04 AM »
I fucking love how trashy this game is and I love it more as RahXephon bitches about it.

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2014, 12:57:52 PM »
What's the Japanese equivalent of Eurotrash gaming? Cause this is it, and it's great.
野球

Himu

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2014, 01:02:09 PM »
Eurojnk -> Japanjank
IYKYK

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2014, 01:02:34 PM »
Eurojnk -> Japanjank

This game is beyond jank, though.
野球

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2014, 01:05:25 PM »
What's the Japanese equivalent of Eurotrash gaming? Cause this is it, and it's great.

Kusoge
dog

« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2014, 01:18:43 PM »

Kusoge

It's beyond kusoge. It needs a new word.
野球

Himu

« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2014, 01:18:56 PM »
:lol
IYKYK

« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2014, 01:19:30 PM »
It transcends kusoge. Most kusoge titles really aren't so self-aware.
野球

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2014, 01:29:33 PM »
Sankusoge. Triple K.

Himu

« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2014, 01:51:21 PM »
shin kusoge

super shit game
IYKYK

« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2014, 01:59:08 PM »
I like neo kusoge. Harkens back to the 80's heyday of awesome crazy anime.
野球

ZephyrFate

« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2014, 08:27:46 PM »
All the graphical/performance issues can be directly attributed to the fact that it was made by the programmers of Deadly Premonition. The art design is pretty great, though. But I feel like if this game was made by the guys who made NIER it might not have so many graphical issues. The worst part of NIER's graphics engine was the ridiculous bloom.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2014, 09:35:53 PM »
You'd think, though, that just about anybody could take a platform exclusive game running on UE3 and get it to run just fine.
dog

Rahxephon91

« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2014, 09:38:35 PM »
I guess once you stop expecting a Drakengard game and accept that this is a comedy that's over the top it becomes actually good. Even the combat is kind of fun when it's not falling apart.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2014, 10:16:03 PM »
You'd think, though, that just about anybody could take a platform exclusive game running on UE3 and get it to run just fine.
Have you played Deadly Premonition? That game was a fucking mess. However, it didn't have nearly the framerate issues that Drakengard 3 has. I guess they just didn't particularly care much when they threw the game together -- DP didn't have much in the way of action, and what was there was Resident Evil 1-esque clunky. Given a game with lightning-quick movesets and lots of stuff on-screen, I guess they just collectively shit the bed. My question is how did it even pass QA?

« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2014, 05:03:47 PM »
I guess once you stop expecting a Drakengard game and accept that this is a comedy that's over the top it becomes actually good. Even the combat is kind of fun when it's not falling apart.

I'm not sure I follow you because I expected a Drakengard game and I pretty much got a Drakengard game.  I'm not incredibly far, but as of midway via chapter 2, it's 100% the overly chatty depraved mess I was looking for.

Btw if you turn off the annoying blood on the screen effect I think it runs a bit better.  Might just be placebo though.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2014, 05:50:41 PM »
The previous Drakengard games had actual dark stories that took themselves seriously. Drakengard 3 is like light chocolate. It's not really macabre an dosen't take itself very serious. It's twisted, but more of a black comedy. It's really not like the other two games. It dosen't even seem to care about it's story that most. It dosen't seem like at all the previous Drakengard games to me.

I could be the only one who took the previous two games seriously, but I did and thus some of things in the game were far more disturbing. Thier maybe twisted things in three, but the tone is so knowingly played for laughs that nothing in this game comes off dark or disturbing. Also the story dosen't seem to take itself seriously and so I don't. I expect a Drakengard game to have a story and tone I take seriously, 3 does not.

Which is fine. They even said not to expect a game like any of the previous games.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 05:55:34 PM by Rahxephon91 »

ZephyrFate

« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2014, 06:11:50 AM »
Drakengard 2 had a milquetoast story that occasionally went dark and then came right back around to boring jRPG. The only standard D3 had was the original Drakengard. Maybe NIER. But it lacks a lot of the pathos NIER had and is funnier than the rest of the games. I enjoy D3's plot for not really adhering to any particular formula than its own.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2014, 06:13:25 AM »
Also the original Drakengard is a dark comedy. If you took it seriously, you definitely experienced the game wrong. It's a series of Increasingly Worse Things Happening until it gets to a breaking point of insanity. At the very last ending, the twist is meant to make you fucking laugh your ass off. The dissonant soundtrack doesn't help matters. There is nothing in the original Drakengard to take seriously. There is, however, a lot to be disturbed by.

« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2014, 11:21:17 AM »
Also the original Drakengard is a dark comedy. If you took it seriously, you definitely experienced the game wrong. It's a series of Increasingly Worse Things Happening until it gets to a breaking point of insanity. At the very last ending, the twist is meant to make you fucking laugh your ass off. The dissonant soundtrack doesn't help matters. There is nothing in the original Drakengard to take seriously. There is, however, a lot to be disturbed by.

The first 2 definitely "play it straight" for the most part, so there IS a tonal departure in that respect, definitely taking some cues from Nier.  I still feel I'm getting what I came for though.  Broken people pursuing broken ideals in a broken world, delivered via a rough around the edges action game and sometimes dragons.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2014, 01:29:46 PM »
2 plays it straight to a fault -- 1 gets so relentlessly dark you can't help but find it farcical after the first ending.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2014, 03:33:36 PM »
It's always funny to see people tell others they experienced something wrong. Kind of a real asshole move honestly. I didn't experience D1 wrong at all. I experienced it exactly the way I wanted to which is the correct way as far as I'm concerned. I've never seen anyone refer to it as a black comedy either and really don't care if that's what you think the game is. Oh boy the last ending out of five endings is silly, it must now be a comedy. I guess Silent Hill games are comedies as well.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 03:49:38 PM by Rahxephon91 »

ZephyrFate

« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2014, 05:49:51 PM »
It's not just the last ending. The endings get progressively dark to the point of absurdity. The first ending is the only one that feels "serious." A story that gets darker just to get darker in theme and tone by having the world progressively break itself no longer takes itself seriously.

Silent Hill games have dark comedy elements as well -- but their endings tie back to choices made in the game. Drakengard's endings unlock just because you unlocked a previous ending (final ending aside), and each one bends the universe's own rules more and more until you get giant hungry space babies. If you took the space babies seriously, then, lol.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 05:52:15 PM by ZephyrFate »

Rahxephon91

« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2014, 06:04:29 PM »
Regardless of how ridiculous it gets that dosen't change the fact that it's still played very seriously. There's nothing presented in a humorous way. Just because you find the ridiculousness funny dosen't mean I have to find it funny. The point is this is different then Drakengard 3 which is not only tongue in cheek in most instances, but also willingly presents it's ridiculousness with a wink. That's not like the previous two games, hence why I see it as different.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2014, 06:41:30 PM »
Drakengard 3 is incredibly meta in critiquing its own plot, but Drakengard 1 was not a paragon of serious tone.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2014, 10:03:58 PM »
I finished Branch A today, which would probably be considered a Bad End, now it's time to go onto Branch B and see how things play out from there.
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2014, 10:30:37 AM »
I really don't like the way some Japanese games force you to go through lots of arbitrary, time-consuming junk to get the "real ending." In the case of Drakengard 3, you have to collect every single weapon in the whole game, which would likely require me to play for at least another 5 hours or so. At this point, though, the game was already running on borrowed time and I was only playing it more to get the rest of the story. So, yeah, not gonna happen. I'll just find the ending on Youtube and call it good.

Still, D3 was enjoyable for the most part, even if the combat wasn't particularly good. More games should steal liberally from the Batman games, because an animu action game like D3 with Batman's fluid, insanely-fun combat would be exceedingly great.
dog

ZephyrFate

« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2014, 02:53:37 PM »
The final ending is
another rhythm game like the final ending of D1, only harder.
[close]

I'd just watch it on Youtube. It's also the most trollish ending Cavia could come up with.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2014, 01:28:44 AM »

:jawalrus