Author Topic: Thi4f: Next-Gen Lockpicking  (Read 4799 times)

a slime appears

• retro king
Thi4f: Next-Gen Lockpicking
« on: February 24, 2014, 10:01:36 AM »

:mouf

As resident Thief fan numero uno I'm jumping into this mess with arms wide open. Anyone else picking this game up tomorrow?

Here are a couple of excerpts from reviews:

Quote from: RPS
For the vast majority of the time, I had so much fun. It didn’t need to match its predecessors to achieve that. I have spent the last three days crouched in shadows, terrified of light, giggling with glee as I evade the gazes of patrolling enemies (some of whom even deliver a proper Thiefy “Doo be doo be doo”!), and stuffing every twinkly candlestick and golden pair of scissors I could find into my trousers.

Some will be furious about one aspect or other, and they will be loud about it on the internet. The context sensitive jump/climb/swoop button is going to be the launch pad that fires a lot of people out of the game in abject fury. But the truth is, I’ve had a fantastic time playing it. For where it falls short, it far more often had me crouched in a shadow, heart racing, waiting for the perfect moment to dart past a guard’s routine. It may be the fourth best Thief game, but it’s a damned fine game in its own rights.

Quote from: GameSpot
As Thief seesawed up and down, my enjoyment of it followed suit. Each time I thought I might fall in love, the game doused my passions with a new annoyance. There was the bug that had me swimming in place on top of some boards I'd leapt to. (Thank goodness for reloadable checkpoints!) There were the times I scratched my head wondering why I couldn't take cover behind one crate but could behind an identical one. (The rules of locomotion are never absolutely clear.) But then the love affair was rekindled the moment I pinched out a candle's flame and yanked a dowager's earrings from her lobes unnoticed. (Unrealistic, certainly, but joyful nonetheless.) Whether you are new to the series or cut your teeth on Thief's particular brand of stealth when it was still novel, I'd wager your feelings will waver as often as mine did. The Thief-franchise-inspired Dishonored waves the stealth flag far more confidently than this reboot does. Garrett is not yet on his way out, but he's been shown the door.

Quote from: Joystiq
Thief is best when it sticks to the involving, slow-paced stealth that made its ancestor such a tense affair. In its subtle moments, Eidos Montreal gives your creeping a sense of closeness and texture, in a game where you almost always have your nose pressed against things. Much like Garrett, Thief succeeds while quiet, fingers reaching out and almost – almost – touching an irresistible spread of glittering prizes.

Quote from: Kotaku
When placed alongside the new ground broken by games like Far Cry 3, Mark of the Ninja, Gunpoint and Dishonored, Thief feels rigid, dull, and largely devoid of complexity or opportunities to improvise. The game's eight main story missions play out with remarkable similarity: First Garrett infiltrates a building through one of a few possible entrances, always, of course, with the door closing behind him. He then makes his way through a couple floors' worth of hallways and open rooms, bypassing or ambushing a few guards. Cue a cutscene, then some more closed-in areas, then another cutscene. Occasionally there will be a puzzle, which often as not the game will happily solve for you. ("To reset the lock, I have to press both buttons before the timer runs out," Garrett once explained to me, unbidden. Thanks, Garrett.)

Quote from: Play
It all feels like a brilliant framework held back by a few unsavoury elements. The hub-based world and other problems would’ve been less apparent if there was actually a decent narrative to prop the game up, but instead we’re left with a half-baked tale that feels shallow and dissatisfying by the time you reach the end. Still, there is still plenty to be happy about here, with a wealth of great gameplay flares and a strong aesthetic. If there’s a sequel, then opening the world up and allowing the characters some room to breathe will work wonders.

Quote from: Corvo
:kobeyuck (Image removed from quote.)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 10:09:41 AM by demi »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Re: Next-Gen Lockpicking
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 10:05:39 AM »
Already bought it!

And if it's at least as good as Dishonored, I'll be more than happy.
dog

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Re: Thi4f: Next-Gen Lockpicking
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 10:41:03 AM »

fat

archnemesis

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 10:43:06 AM »
I'm a big fan of the older games and yet I'm not at all excited for this. I'll reconsider purchasing it if it gets a lot of positive user impressions.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 10:55:44 AM »
Will be playing this eventually, but it's not going to be day-one for sure. There were/are some really enticing pre-order offers though...

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 10:58:42 AM »
Can we get Deus EX HR2 now?

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 11:39:59 AM »

I think you mean, D4us Ex.
©@©™

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 12:49:22 PM »
I'm doing my part by buying THI4F. Support the studio to keep the good times rolling!

I think you mean, D4us Ex.
:lol

D4us Ex: Yo self before you wreck yo self.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 12:52:36 PM »
EGM gave this a 3.5/10. :what :holeup
dog

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 01:00:54 PM »
I don't really trust the good reviews on this one

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 01:04:20 PM »
It's OK, I'll be the ultimate judge of THI4F.

:expert

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 01:06:40 PM »
That 17 minute gameplay video looked boring as fuck.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 01:08:53 PM »
EGM gave this a 3.5/10. :what :holeup

::) I preferred it when mags gave out inflated scores instead of these bs controversy-generating deflated scores
pcp

cool breeze

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 01:11:12 PM »
sounds alright and i'll play it eventually.  most reassuring is that it's still primarily a stealth game, just simplified and hollywood about it.  so, thief is to thief as star trek is to star trek.

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 01:21:43 PM »
Not gonna go dig, but hasn't there been several reports of problems during the development of this game (meddling from on high, key devs leaving, etc)? Not particularly shocked if it turned out kinda bad as a result.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2014, 01:23:23 PM »
3.5 means not even functional trash basically

Two types of games get 3.5/10: barely functional garbage and over-hyped AAA games that the reviewer is "taking a stand" against.
dog

FatalT

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2014, 02:40:38 PM »

Two types of games get 3.5/10: barely functional garbage and over-hyped AAA games that the reviewer is "taking a stand" against.

Stop it. STOP IT! You're influencing my purchasing decision and I HAVE THE PURCHASING POWER HERE, NOT YOU! STOP IT!

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2014, 02:52:05 PM »

Which one does Alien: Colonial Marines fall under?  :heh
©@©™

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2014, 02:59:36 PM »
TRU has $10 GC if you buy Thiaf.
fat

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2014, 03:29:12 PM »
Thigh-AF. ah-ef. That is how you say.
Hi

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2014, 05:12:41 PM »
Thigh-AF. ah-ef. That is how you say.

Meh-ef.

Which one does Alien: Colonial Marines fall under?  :heh

Colonial Marines was functional garbage.
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2014, 06:43:40 PM »

And fantastic games that are too difficult for the reviewer (God Hand).

Sho Nuff

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2014, 06:47:45 PM »
The EGM guy was complaining about how the sword combat was bad. Ummmm...yeah

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2014, 06:56:46 PM »
The EGM guy was complaining about how the sword combat was bad. Ummmm...yeah

I never even used the melee combat in Dishonored. :lol
dog

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2014, 07:39:35 PM »
Rock Paper Shotgun review is pretty good. Sounds like a decent game but not worth my time right now.
itm

Bebpo

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2014, 08:33:52 PM »
I've never played any of the Thief games since the first one.  I like stealth gaming and respect the series, but I find stealth way harder in first person.  Prefer Splinter Cell, MGS, Mark of the Ninja cheating stealth where you can see the whole area most of the time and make your path like a boss.  In first person games with stealth sequences I always get caught out of nowhere and it pisses me off  :maf

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2014, 05:04:08 AM »
I hope the commercial failure of this (giant ass budget / development quagmire) game doesn't further push Square Enix towards smartphone F2P and big studio dissolutions.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2014, 07:12:18 AM »
I'm gonna go ahead and say that it totally will
pcp

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2014, 12:30:33 PM »
Seemed okay from the little bit I played earlier [about 30 minutes], although textures in some parts looked REALLY low-quality. Not sure if that was just a glitch or what.
dog

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2014, 12:56:28 PM »
Got my copy.

:mynicca

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2014, 04:21:30 PM »
Having played it for a VERY LITTLE BIT, it's pretty goddamn casual streamlined and this tutorial lady is AWFUL. Not a fan of the writing either; too modern for my tastes and not enough of the Looking Glass™ style quirk. WHERE'S THE TAFFER?

I'm doing custom Master difficulty and turned every handicap on except for getting your saves deleted when you fail/die and disabling mid-chapter saves. I also turned off practically every UI element I could except item highlights. I love stealth games but I'm not some goddamn gaming savant.

I'm gonna try streaming my play-through but demi is already mocking me for fucking around in the tutorial and failing.

:snoop

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2014, 07:46:55 PM »
I hope the commercial failure of this (giant ass budget / development quagmire) game doesn't further push Square Enix towards smartphone F2P and big studio dissolutions.

When would Square-Enix ever blame a western developer for their current woes? Even if this project was over-budget, and ends up underperforming, I'm sure S-E will react reasonably, and support the studio.

:goty2

Himu

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2014, 08:05:30 PM »

No. S-E will fund Thief 5 and double Thi4f's (ugh) budget. Look at Tomb Raider. Their logic in an over budgeted software that they consider a bomb despite selling 4 million copies is to give it another sequel.
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2014, 08:39:29 PM »
Thie5
dog

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2014, 08:54:00 PM »
Game built around co-op.

Thief5

Rahxephon91

« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2014, 09:02:55 PM »
Thief Party for ios.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2014, 09:30:57 PM »

No. S-E will fund Thief 5 and double Thi4f's (ugh) budget. Look at Tomb Raider. Their logic in an over budgeted software that they consider a bomb despite selling 4 million copies is to give it another sequel.

After publicly blaming TR and Hitman and Sleepeh Dawgs for their financial shortfall, they did accede to sequels for each, but you can bet the budget reigns are not going to allow for five year plans.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2014, 10:17:10 PM »
I like what I've played of Th4444444f so far. Haven't noticed any glitches other than a weird thing where they textures didn't load properly in the very first part of the prologue [:piss CliffyB :piss2] and the game itself is pretty fun, and I do love me some sneaking around and stealing stuff games. Other than that initial texture glitch, the game looks fantastic, solid art design for the fake Victorian London and lots of detail everywhere.

One thing, though, having played the Dishonored DLC recently, they really should have just got Michael Marsden to voice Garrett:

« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 10:27:11 PM by Great Rumbler »
dog

Himu

« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2014, 10:24:46 PM »
Goddamit, Rumbler. Cliff is going to google his name in a few hours, see you called him out, and join the Bore in retaliation you fuck
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2014, 10:26:19 PM »
I will fight him and win.
dog

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2014, 09:31:37 AM »
Buy Thief at Newegg and get free Domino's pizza:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832166148

:phil

Sho Nuff

« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2014, 11:57:00 AM »
Mmmmmmm what a great promotion, Thiefourth and a slice of pie

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2014, 03:59:38 PM »
What a steal!
©@©™

FatalT

« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2014, 04:18:21 PM »
What a steal!

What you did there. I see it.

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2014, 09:34:47 PM »
I'm going to preface this with saying I like the game. It's fun and at its core it does feel like Thief. With that said...

This is the worst Thief game in the series. Which isn't a terrible thing; I just feel they missed the mark for what makes a great Thief game. At every turn I get the sense that the management behind this title aren't die hard fans of the series or they completely ignored what made the games so compelling. Not that Thief was ever some holy grail of game design (it's up there) but there were several core tenants* that they completely ignored or reduced in favor of making it appeal to a much broader crowd. It's also pretty shocking just how limited and small a lot of the levels are for a game that I assumed was built for PC and next-gen consoles in mind. They do a lot of clever gimmicks to hide room loads (opening a window or passing through a narrow passageway) but the levels still feel rather small since you're always booking from one cramped gameplay encounter to another. It's not that this new Thief omits any core stealth gameplay mechanics; it just doesn't do it as well as the previous games.

Dishonored is a much better game. Arkane Studios understood stealth and executed really well which isn’t surprising considering Harvey Smith was at the helm. Dishonored literally does everything better than Thief and I actually didn't really appreciate just how much Arkane nailed it until I got my hands on Thief. I still like Thief, but man does playing it really brings to light just how vast the gulf between utilitarian and great game design is. Even simple design concepts like gently illuminating the path towards the next player objective or providing ample player experimentation with newfound abilities is nowhere to be found. Instead we have an over-reliance on HUD markers and your usual next-gen lazy bullshit design methodologies** to make up for subtle player direction. Even the art direction is superior in Dishonored and I'm finding myself preferring the visuals of that game to the new Thief, even with it's sharp 1080p resolution and pretty nice environment effects. I could also talk about the awesome powers you have in Dishonored but I get that Thief preferred to keep their powers centered on improving established mechanics instead of new ones. However Dishonored's Blink was a really smart improvement to the stealth genre, I thought.

Thief actually does get a lot right. One of the things I find really enjoying is the sense of physicality Garret's character exhibits when moving around. I dare say this is the best "feeling" first person game out there with every directional change, dash, and movement having a sense of real weight. Even complex actions like getting behind a corner and peering around (handled rather daftly in Deadly Shadows by switching to third person) is effortless and even fun in the new Thief. I also like the changes to make Garret feel far more acrobatic and capable making environment navigation and combat no longer a chore. Although stealth was and still is king, it's nice to finally play a Thief game where I can play the character as well as his background indicates. Other nice changes are the upgrades the player has at their disposal to improve Garret's "Focus" abilities. Implementation is super game-y but it's nice to customize my actions to my specific play style. That customization even extends to the difficulty where you can turn on or off as many gameplay rule sets as you'd like so you can play the game a-la Thief classic or go full on with the new changes. There are more examples but those are the biggest off the top of my head.

Well typing all that out felt a bit cathartic considering how long I waited for a proper Thief sequel.

:whoo

* Multiple player paths, intriguing background story, fantastic NPC script, finely tuned balance between player empowerment and vulnerability, expansive level design, etc.

** Various in-game cues to indicate action, on-screen text explaining simple controller commands, overdrawn tutorials teaching basic gameplay concepts, limiting player action and abilities until they are properly taught, overtly linear level design, forced cinematic encounters spoon feeding story, player overwhelmed with gameplay options with minimal strategic difference, etc.
[close]

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2014, 02:43:37 AM »
The level design is still compromised because this is actually a cross-gen title. They don't draw much attention to it, but there are 360 and PS3 versions of the game.

Does it touch Far Cry 3 as far as first person physicality goes? That was the last game, besides Dishonored, which impressed me with how nice the motions of my character felt.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 02:52:07 AM by Rufus »

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2014, 10:05:58 AM »
The level design is still compromised because this is actually a cross-gen title. They don't draw much attention to it, but there are 360 and PS3 versions of the game.

Does it touch Far Cry 3 as far as first person physicality goes? That was the last game, besides Dishonored, which impressed me with how nice the motions of my character felt.
Oh I know but the original design was strictly PC and next-gen consoles only. At least that was the official PR line at the beginning. I'm not privy to the crazy restructuring the game had gone through over the years but I assumed they wouldn't have modified a lot of that to make sure the experience is consistent across all platforms. Or hell, maybe it always was that small to begin with (UE3 does have some shitty limitations), which is kind of crazy to me regardless. The levels aren't that small (Deadly Shadows still wins) but I just wish more emphasis was placed on larger more open ended environments instead of these small playgrounds they have now. Clearly the processing power is there, it's just a matter of engine flexibility and art asset footprints among other things, being managed correctly.

In terms of first person physicality in comparison with Far Cry 3 I think it's about on par. The slower nature of Thief brings to light a lot of subtler movements and camera animations that are present in both games. Although you understand, others may not so I realize that celebrating "character physicality" may seem a bit silly. However for a first person game the more effort you put into a camera system that is reactionary and tries to mask the robotic analog stick movements the more immersed players feel. It worked fantastically in Far Cry 3 and I think it works pretty well in this game since its coupled with seamless actions such as leaning and dashing which really makes you feel like you can manipulate the environment design to your benefit instead of stumbling around it.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2014, 11:10:33 AM »
Graphic comparison

fat

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2014, 02:36:15 PM »
ps4 looks miles best like usual
USA

FatalT

« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2014, 02:38:34 PM »
I'm gonna play this when I get my new graphics card tomorrow but I finished downloading it and installed it.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2014, 11:22:45 AM »
Thourf is basically Dishonored but not as good [which is weird, given how much Dishonored stole wholesale from the Thief series], except some people didn't like the slightly cartoonish character designs in Dishonored so that's one thing that Thourf has going for it. But, yeah, I'm way more excited about the prospect of a Dishonored 2 right now than I am a hypothetical Thivef, which S-E probably won't fund anyway.
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2014, 02:52:02 AM »
Thourf is basically Dishonored but not as good [which is weird, given how much Dishonored stole wholesale from the Thief series], except some people didn't like the slightly cartoonish character designs in Dishonored so that's one thing that Thourf has going for it. But, yeah, I'm way more excited about the prospect of a Dishonored 2 right now than I am a hypothetical Thivef, which S-E probably won't fund anyway.
I waffled on picking this up on the 360 S-E sale they had going; kind of glad I gave it a pass, since I still have Dishonored in the queue.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2014, 09:11:42 AM »
I will say that I don't think Thief is bad, and it is getting better the deeper I get into it. So, it's certainly worth playing down the road when it's not as expensive and you've played all the other major stealth games released recently.
dog

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2014, 09:19:28 AM »
I waffled on picking this up on the 360 S-E sale they had going; kind of glad I gave it a pass, since I still have Dishonored in the queue.

Dishonored is a better game in every way possible and super fun, so play that when you can. One of the better stealth games in recent memory and the blink ability lets you warp around an environment which turns stealth from a "wait-and-see" game to something more proactive. Doesn't sound that big on paper but it radically changes a player's approach to this genre and I think it's a brilliant design choice.

I will say that I don't think Thief is bad, and it is getting better the deeper I get into it. So, it's certainly worth playing down the road when it's not as expensive and you've played all the other major stealth games released recently.

Yeah, I completely agree. It really isn't a bad game and they do get a lot right. I'm actually still playing it right now and the game does get better the further you go in (and the more of the skills you upgrade). The one thing that's really dragging the game though is the completely shit overworld design. I went from liking it to hating it over the course of the game. So many fucking load points, dull art design, and navigating is a complete fucking chore.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2014, 09:35:47 AM »
Ugh, those load points. I hate coming up against one of those when I'm trying to navigate around. And you're right about the bad overall design of the overworld, it makes getting from one place to another really super hard for no reason. Too much of it just looks exactly the same and there's often no direct routes, forcing you to go up and down and through turns and narrow choke points.

I really liked the ruined library beneath the brothel, though, that's the best location I've seen by far. Heavy on atmosphere and foreboding as you make your way down. More of the game should have been like that.
[close]
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2014, 09:37:13 PM »

Dishonored is a better game in every way possible and super fun, so play that when you can. One of the better stealth games in recent memory and the blink ability lets you warp around an environment which turns stealth from a "wait-and-see" game to something more proactive. Doesn't sound that big on paper but it radically changes a player's approach to this genre and I think it's a brilliant design choice.

(snip)

Does this mean you shift your location around when someone's getting too close, rather than just clenching your sphincter and hoping they don't notice you?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2014, 09:45:37 PM »
Pretty much, yeah. Thi4f doesn't really have any ability or mechanism for getting you from out of a corner when an enemy is approaching, you just have to wait and hope that you've hidden yourself well enough.
dog