Author Topic: Dark Souls 2 |OT| of only the most hardcore gamers on the planet  (Read 17137 times)

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
Re: Dark Souls 2 |OT| of only the most hardcore gamers on the planet
« Reply #120 on: March 20, 2014, 06:11:02 PM »
three out of four great souls embraced, this fucking game :noah lost sinner :whew :lawd

demi, seriously thank you so much for buying it for me :heartbeat :heartbeat :heartbeat this is gonna be like my favorite 360 game by the time I'm done

Lost Sinner is so much

probably my favourite Dark Souls boss of all time (so far). So badass. I'm rocking full Lost Sinner armour set, you can buy it from the vendor in Majula

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #121 on: March 20, 2014, 07:53:57 PM »
You can get her armor!? :gladbron
SRY

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #122 on: March 20, 2014, 09:51:26 PM »
well its rags with a mask and shackles, but yeah lol. Its light and the stats arent bad, looks great with my shield and stick. I'm rocking a way more hobo style than most players lol

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #123 on: March 20, 2014, 10:02:52 PM »
My merchant wasn't the selling them and I couldn't figure out why, turns out you need to spend at least 1000 souls before he sells you special armor. The Lost Sinner's armor is EXPENSIVE, but I was able to get the mask.

What a kooky game. I love how populated Majula gets the further you play.
SRY

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #124 on: March 20, 2014, 10:20:41 PM »
Yeah I dropped like 30 stacks on that shit :win

FatalT

« Reply #125 on: March 21, 2014, 01:25:53 AM »
The latest DS4 Tool fixes the PS4 controller on Dark Souls for PC. I'm at Sen's Fortress now. Beat Quelaag, awww yiss. I tried to fight Sif but lost so I'll work on that another time. I played for 6 hours straight today. :X I love Dark Souls. can't wait for the PC version of 2.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #126 on: March 21, 2014, 02:16:27 AM »
Sif is one one of the biggest PITA bosses in DS1. Worse than the Dynamic Duo

archie4208

« Reply #127 on: March 21, 2014, 09:04:10 AM »
Beat it.  Good stuff.

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #128 on: March 21, 2014, 12:31:50 PM »
Sif is one one of the biggest PITA bosses in DS1. Worse than the Dynamic Duo
Really?  I killed Sif the first time.  Ornstein and Smaugh though :(
vin

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #129 on: March 21, 2014, 01:01:34 PM »
Yeah I never had problems with Sif. Capra Demon was way harder for me.
SRY

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #130 on: March 21, 2014, 02:22:55 PM »
sif is sort of annoying because if he hit you right he hits you twice and that often either put you close to death or kill you

honestly i never had much problem with any of the boss except for ornstein and smough and the bed of chaos like sure a few death here and there but i think i died more times on ornstein and smough than on all other bosses put together

seriously fuck ornstein and smough
<----

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #131 on: March 21, 2014, 03:55:25 PM »
they're so fun though :noah
SRY

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #132 on: March 21, 2014, 04:10:05 PM »
So is it as good as the first?

Steve Contra

« Reply #133 on: March 21, 2014, 04:55:18 PM »
Finally got back into this.  Killed the Dragonrider boss.  Felling like Dark Souls again.
vin

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #134 on: March 21, 2014, 05:07:18 PM »
Most of the impressions I've read from people who've beaten it say it's as good but that they like the first game more.

Personally I find the sequel to be way better. The level design is improved, the enemies are a lot more fun to fight, and From just generally made a lot of changes that are in service of making the game more enjoyable and less like work. People often compare Dark Souls to the original Legend of Zelda, and following that analogy, Dark Souls 2 is A Link to the Past.

Without Miyazaki there's definitely this je ne sais quoi that's noticeably absent. But ultimately the game just has more thought put into the balance and design, which adds up to a much better experience for the player.
SRY

Himu

« Reply #135 on: March 21, 2014, 05:08:56 PM »
Finally got back into this.  Killed the Dragonrider boss.  Felling like Dark Souls again.

Did they patch?
IYKYK

archie4208

« Reply #136 on: March 21, 2014, 05:19:00 PM »

Yes, but it's not particularly better.

The systems are more refined than DS1.  From learning from their mistakes.  Less annoying farming for Titanite is a godsend.

The level design is better and worse than DS1.  There is nothing as brilliant as Anor Londo, but there is nothing as godawful as Lost Izalith.  DS2 has more consistently good level design but is somewhat less exciting.

The game feels laggier than DS1, but I'm attributing that to the PS3 version running like garbage.

DS2 ~ DS1 > Demon's Souls

El Babua

« Reply #137 on: March 21, 2014, 05:25:24 PM »
It seems whatever someone's first souls game was, is their favorite.

Demon's Souls is still da bes so far. The entirety of the Tower of Latria may just be the single greatest example of level design. I'm enjoying DS2 more than the first. Online actually works and the level design is overall pretty good, nothing outstanding so far, but not as inconsistent as the first Dark Souls.

I just made it to

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sinner's Rise and Huntsman's Copse. Now THIS is the dinginess I was looking for. No Man's Wharf was the Disney ride version of Blighttown, animatronic ship and all. (Still a good level though)
[close]

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #138 on: March 21, 2014, 11:53:28 PM »
It seems whatever someone's first souls game was, is their favorite.
I am the exception to this rule! I legitimately enjoy Dark Souls 2 a lot more than its predecessor, which was my introduction to the series. I don't agree with some of the folks here that it doesn't have as memorable areas. I played the first game through to New Game+++ and after all that time, I definitely got to know the levels intimately. I'm confident the same will happen with the second as my first impressions of the levels are much, much more positive this time around.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 11:55:27 PM by Raban »
SRY

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #139 on: March 22, 2014, 06:18:36 AM »
be honest guys

how rage inducing is this game?
<----

archie4208

« Reply #140 on: March 22, 2014, 07:04:54 AM »
be honest guys

There are a few bosses that pissed me off
The Rotten :piss2 :piss2 :piss2
[close]
but nothing too bad.

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #141 on: March 22, 2014, 05:18:01 PM »
Darklurker can be rage inducing if you're pure melee. By far the hardest boss in the series imo.
BiSH

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #142 on: March 23, 2014, 08:41:36 PM »
Word is that Darklurker and the area he's the boss of is a total nutbuster. Pretty scared to be honest!

Game is nothing but :lawd. Better than DS1 probably, definitely smoother and more consistent.

I been rocking lots of PVP in the bell towers, fun stuff. I like how the levels are designed with PVP in mind, lots of tricks and traps. My favourite thing is landing on someone when they try and escape through the floorboards in Belfry Luna. Bell Covenant is well worth it, you get chunks and slabs as prizes.

I like to rock the Porcine Shield during PVP to psyche out my opponents, the item description is one of the best:

"A strangely porcine shield. The pig head looks eerily authentic, but is an imitation. Though the shield's defensive capacity is ordinary, it may spook an unsuspecting foe."

LMFAO, what does that even mean. I love how a lot of the copy in this game seems a little lost in translation.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #143 on: March 23, 2014, 08:54:14 PM »
be honest guys

Not as bad as DS1.

The first level got me bad because I had joined the "hard mode" covenant without knowing what it was, and I was wondering why the first enemies were destroying me  :lol

Other annoying bits so far were the stupid chariot boss and the exploding zombies in the bastille. Other than that the game has been pretty gravy

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #144 on: March 23, 2014, 10:12:29 PM »
So, I beat it. For the most part I really enjoyed it but I think there's a pretty noticeable drop in quality at the end. That, and I felt the story didn't wrap up as nicely as it does in the first game.

Still, I definitely find the majority of the game to be more enjoyable than the first. The pacing is better and the game is constantly trying to push you to the next thing which keeps it from testing your patience more than it needs to.

EDIT: I will probably try and fuck around in NG+ and look for the hidden bosses, but honestly I'm kinda waiting for the PC version so me and my PC gaming friends can co-op through the game for ultimate shenanigans.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 10:24:41 PM by Raban »
SRY

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #145 on: March 24, 2014, 12:26:43 AM »
Did you get those vocal emote items? They make multi so much fun

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #146 on: March 24, 2014, 11:22:08 AM »
Yes, I loved hearing Gough's voice again. Very good!
SRY

Steve Contra

« Reply #147 on: March 24, 2014, 01:23:57 PM »
I realized that I had had beat like a fourth of the game with the Champion's Covenant :(

It does mean I'm really good now.
vin

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #148 on: March 24, 2014, 01:31:38 PM »
I'm holding out for the PC version. Assuming it's optamized and doesn't run like shit on my ROG. It's either that or I'm waiting for a PS4 version. It's either that or I'm going back to the PS3 version like a bitch. 
Unzip

El Babua

« Reply #149 on: March 29, 2014, 11:15:05 PM »
Almost 40 hours in. Why are there a bonfires every thirty feet?
[close]

This is not SUPER HARDCORE!  :maf

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #150 on: March 30, 2014, 12:08:36 AM »
I think it's partially because they force you to warp when you need to level up, so they don't want to deprive the player of being able to spend their souls when they want. It's just an added bonus that the bonfires restore health, flasks and durability
SRY

El Babua

« Reply #151 on: March 30, 2014, 12:31:40 AM »
It just kinda destroys the sense of desperation present in DS1 and Demon's Souls. I'm enjoying myself, thinking "oh shit how am I gonna get out of this precarious situ- oh a bonfire".

Keep in mind I may still be early on

At the top of Earthen peak, about to fight the Medusa boss. Only got one of the four major soul lords.
[close]

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #152 on: March 30, 2014, 12:52:49 PM »
No, bonfires stay plentiful from start to finish. But there are a couple areas that have less, like No Man's Wharf and Dragon Aerie. Personally I kinda dig that they at least give you the option, but I got in the habit of only lighting bonfires and not actually resting at them while I was making my way through an area. It wasn't often that I felt like I needed them.
SRY

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #153 on: March 30, 2014, 03:27:38 PM »
yeah, the game definitely feels easier overall, more bonfires does help of course, theres also the fact I'm a vet of DS1 and know the ins and outs of the gameplay.

Eh, hard mode (Covenant of the Fittest) is there for people that want it.

I have 2 Great Souls embraced and almost up to the 3rd, but I've been playing other stuff the past week. Time to get back into this and finish the shit off
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 03:29:54 PM by The Sceneman »

Steve Contra

« Reply #154 on: March 31, 2014, 02:16:20 PM »
I went into the Lost Sinner fight with a half bar of health thinking I'd have to figure the fight out before I used an effigy but I ended up killing her the 1st time and only getting hit twice. 
vin

Steve Contra

« Reply #155 on: March 31, 2014, 04:34:35 PM »
Also what happens to the various merchants throughout the game?  I need the guy who sells poison stuff and he disappeared after the first time :(
vin

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #156 on: March 31, 2014, 06:37:01 PM »
Also what happens to the various merchants throughout the game?  I need the guy who sells poison stuff and he disappeared after the first time :(

He moves to a cave in the first poisoned area of Harvest Valley after you speak to him at No Man's Wharf. Then he permanently moves to the Door of Pharros, I think.
BiSH

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #157 on: April 02, 2014, 11:08:17 PM »
So I decided to go back in with my endgame character and fight the Darklurker, shit is really tough. I feel like I can beat him using Great Lightning Spear alone but I keep getting impatient/greedy and dying in the most humiliating ways possible. As people have mentioned before, the impact is worsened when you have to fight through the tougher-than-usual enemies on the way to the boss, but I think I finally got the hang of the setup at the Shaded Woods portal, so that's the one I've been rushing.

It's quite the contrast hopping between this and Diablo 3.
SRY

Steve Contra

« Reply #158 on: April 08, 2014, 02:30:26 PM »
Almost finished, so far it's a step down from DS1.  The world isn't nearly as cool, shit is just levels off the hub with no connections, no boss has made me cry yet (some are stupid easy) and none of the levels save running through No Man's Wharf the first time have that feeling that you're going to fucking die at any second.  Still pretty good though, and I finally got a message that's been rated hundreds of times.
vin

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #159 on: April 23, 2014, 12:34:55 PM »
From a PC Gamer write-up in conjunction with Durante:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/17/dark-souls-2-pc-port-mod-god-durantes-verdict/2/

In short, everything indicates that the 5 GB difference [between the PS3 and PC version] is caused by higher quality asset data, and a preliminary analysis of the content of these archive files confirms this assumption.

With Dark Souls 2, From Software and Namco Bandai deliver a PC version of their game which not only fulfills all the standard expectations in terms of resolution and framerate support, but also adds additional options beyond that. Crucially, they have included high-resolution texture assets which generally fit even the expectations of gamers who play beyond 1080p.

One might also claim that, even if they never acknowledged the modding of their first port, they did certainly learn from it. Whether it is large changes like the inclusion of ambient occlusion, higher resolution textures and good mouse controls, or smaller but equally useful additions such as the ability to turn off the UI or skip the introduction logos, there is a lot in Dark Souls 2 at launch which modders only added to the PC port of the first game over time.

While it is not quite the (almost generational) leap which was initially shown in previews, Dark Souls 2 on PC is a better experience and a more beautiful game than even a fully modded Dark Souls 1, and it also performs well on a wide range of hardware. It adds effects which greatly enhance the visual impact of some scenes, such as dynamic godrays, improves the resolution of environment textures, greatly improves shadow resolution and filtering, and maintains the highly detailed equipment models, textures and ambient specular reflections which were a hallmark of the original Dark Souls’ graphics.

Of course, we wouldn’t be PC gamers if we were not always looking to get even more out of our games. In future articles we will look at some tweaks using generic tools in order to further improve Dark Souls 2’s graphics, and later on investigate its technology in more depth to determine what else might be possible with game-specific modifications.

:obama
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #160 on: April 24, 2014, 08:48:21 PM »
Already died twice. This game is super-hard, you guys! :'(
dog

archie4208

« Reply #161 on: April 24, 2014, 09:29:41 PM »
The PC version makes the console one look like an alpha.  I'm playing on medium and it still looks significantly better.  Also 60 fps and 3 second load times.  :drool

From did good.

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #162 on: April 24, 2014, 09:52:15 PM »
mfw I see half my steam friends list playing this game
:mynicca
SRY

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #163 on: April 25, 2014, 12:02:44 AM »
The PC version makes the console one look like an alpha.  I'm playing on medium and it still looks significantly better.  Also 60 fps and 3 second load times.  :drool

From did good.

Indeed. I'm glad I waited instead of dropping $60 on the PS3 version.

Though I'm gonna have to downgrade eventually to double-platinum it like I did Dark 1. Not looking forward to sub-par 24 FPS.  :'(

FatalT

« Reply #164 on: April 25, 2014, 01:14:35 AM »
This is the real Dark Souls. I'm using SweetFX and the nVidia Inspector to make the graphics look even better than they would normally. MAX SETTINGS AND 60 FPS AND PURE AWESOMENESS YO!

I'm 4 hours in and at No Man's Wharf. Going through a bit quicker than I did on the PS3 since I have a general idea of what I'm doing and where to go now.

archie4208

« Reply #165 on: April 25, 2014, 07:26:45 AM »
pfft.  I killed
Lost Sinner
[close]
after 4 hours.  Casuals.   :wag

Also they nerfed her hardcore.  I beat her on my second try.  The only reason I died the first time is because I was goofing off with the Greatsword.
[close]

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #166 on: April 25, 2014, 08:44:50 AM »
Don't forget to download GeDoSaTo to downsample the fuck outta this

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=807472
nat

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #167 on: April 25, 2014, 12:32:45 PM »
originally started with Explorer and had a terrible time. daggers are awful.
restarted as Swordsman and having much more fun.
nat

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #168 on: April 26, 2014, 03:12:01 AM »
lol, you can find a weapon to replace a dagger in like 5 seconds. git gud

j/k

I need to git gud myself, I've spent an hour trying to get all the loot in the giant salamander area in Forest of Fallen Giants, those things are raping me!!!

I need to knuckle down and beat this already. I got hooked on Terraria again in the interim  :'(

Steve Contra

« Reply #169 on: April 26, 2014, 02:25:57 PM »
lol, you can find a weapon to replace a dagger in like 5 seconds. git gud

j/k

I need to git gud myself, I've spent an hour trying to get all the loot in the giant salamander area in Forest of Fallen Giants, those things are raping me!!!

I need to knuckle down and beat this already. I got hooked on Terraria again in the interim  :'(
Poison arrows
vin

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #170 on: April 26, 2014, 03:13:35 PM »
Daggers just suck and the Explorer class starts at such a low level in dex and strength it can't use any weapons you pick up. shit class.

Swordsman is badass. Starts with two upgraded swords. Managed to kill the knight you find sitting at the tree early on. (then died shortly after and lost all the souls LOL).

if you're bored watch my first hour as Swordsman:

nat

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
nat

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #172 on: April 27, 2014, 11:15:33 AM »
the movement and animations don't feel as tight as DS.
nat

SantaC

« Reply #173 on: April 27, 2014, 02:28:59 PM »
this is fucking dumb. I got a VAC ban in original CS 8 years ago and cant play DS2 online!

reading Vavle own FAQ on this, you should not be banned in Dark Souls 2. Hey I paid full price on this fucking piece of shit service.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #174 on: April 27, 2014, 03:16:44 PM »
DS2 is not even VAC secured.
©@©™

SantaC

« Reply #175 on: April 27, 2014, 04:12:26 PM »

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #176 on: April 28, 2014, 11:37:25 AM »
summoned some peeps and demolished Heides Tower :rock
nat

Space Jam is Canon

« Reply #177 on: April 29, 2014, 07:19:17 AM »
I just finished NG+++++, the last two runs being SL1 Champions and Champions no death/no bonfire, and before I put this shit back on the shelf forever, I feel like I need to special fellow out and do a braindump. For PC folks just starting, these are the most useful things I learned about PvE:

-  Strike weapons in this game are silly -- most enemies in the game are weak to them, so the standard mace can literally carry you through the entire game. As a result, Cleric is prob the casual's best bet as a starting class. Can't go wrong with a STR/FTH build, especially since nearly every boss in the game is weak to Great Lightning Spears.

-  Carry a dagger.  It has an obscene backstab damage multiplier, meaning a +10 uninfused dagger will dispatch pretty much anything in the game that can be backstabbed. It's always worth holding one, irrespective of your build. 

-  For infusions, the rule of thumb is to consolidate your damage type. For each element imbued on a weapon, each of the enemy's individual resistance to that element are factored into the damage output. Meaning if you have a Dark Avelynn with lightning bolts, your damage will be much lower on average than someone who has a Lightning Avelynn with lightning bolts.

-  Mundane is a fun infusion to mess with, and you can make some very powerful combinations with it, but requires all your stats be at least 30 to be worth using.

-  DEX scaling is nonexistent at the moment, so avoid it

-  Make sure you give yourself a ranged option. DEX builds have bows, STR have crossbows (can be aimed when two-handed), casters have magic (can be aimed with binoculars).

-  Between the scarcity of 100% physical resist shields, the increase in unblockable attacks, and the addition of agility, From's made it clear that shields are a fucking bandaid that you need to rip off. Getting your agility to 100+ is much more important, as the increased i-frames in your roll and faster estus chug is way more dependable than the board on average. If you don't want to learn how to dodge, be a caster.

-  Sorceries are worth the investment, although I think they've been toned down a bit. Last time I checked, I was one-shotting most bosses with Soul Geyser. Homing Crystal Soulmass, Crystal Soul Spear, and Soul Greatsword are all good stuff, too.

-  Miracles are better this time around. Great Lightning Spear has infinite range, AoE, and you get a ton of charges. Sunlight Spear is also okay, but not really worth the investment. Heals are also nice, but the rest are mostly situational or PvP-oriented.

-  Hexes are mostly shit, with the exception of Dark Fog, Great Resonant Soul, and Resonant Weapon. The Resonant Weapon hex is the best weapon buff, and the cost (2000 souls) is trivial later on. If you're not a hexer, you can spice down the requirements to 10/10 with no penalty. GRS hits like a train for barely any cost, and Dark Fog paired with the Bat Staff catalyst is AoE poison that almost instantly procs.

-  Pyromancy is a high damage, low investment option just like in the first DS -- scales with INT/FTH by a small amount. Only use and upgrade the standard Pyromancy Flame you find in No Man's Wharf, as the other option, Dark Pyromancy Flame, scales to hollowing and requires a ring slot to be worth the marginal damage increase it confers. As far as spells, Flame Swathe is really all you need for PvE -- high base damage + large AoE

-  You no longer need to artificially cap your soul level like in previous games for co-op/PVP. The determinant for player matching now is based on soul memory, which is the total accumulated value of all souls you've absorbed, whether they be spent, lost, or saved. You're placed in a quadrant based on your current memory pool, but nerds are still trying to figure out how its delimited. Being a sunbro increases the range for coop by an unknown amount. It's all very fucking stupid

-  NPC summons got buffed big time in one of the recent patches, and have a much easier time soloing bosses. Wouldn't recommend using them if you want to preserve the challenge, as the bosses aren't very hard as it is.

-  Never waste your time farming for souls. There's a spot near the end of the game where you get a consistent yield of 500k, 2 twinkling titanite, a fire seed and a bonfire ascetic, making it self-sufficient. Takes like three minutes.

-  There's an item you can burn at bonfires, Bonfire Ascetic, that will increase the difficulty of the corresponding zone to NG+ after you've taken out the boss. It's worth doing this a few times in your first run, as the NG+ iterations of bosses will drop +2 rings, some of which are incredibly useful. Ones of note:

Chloranthy Ring +2 (Undead Chariot): stamina regen
Southern Ritual Band +2 (Scorpioness Najka): +3 attunement slots
Clear Bluestone Ring +2 (Skeleton Lords): 55% increase in casting speed
Covetous Silver Serpent Ring +2 (Mytha): for farming

-  Baby mode: spec INT/FTH, get Great Resonant Soul, Dark Caitha's Chime+10/Chime of Want +5, and the game becomes a joke, but you should probably just get good instead, breh
[close]
slam

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #178 on: April 29, 2014, 09:07:49 AM »
DS2 is not even VAC secured.

It is now:lol Durante's "tool" will probably get you banned.  :lol :lol

I just finished NG+++++, the last two runs being SL1 Champions and Champions no death/no bonfire, and before I put this shit back on the shelf forever, I feel like I need to special fellow out and do a braindump. For PC folks just starting, these are the most useful things I learned about PvE:

-  Strike weapons in this game are silly -- most enemies in the game are weak to them, so the standard mace can literally carry you through the entire game. As a result, Cleric is prob the casual's best bet as a starting class. Can't go wrong with a STR/FTH build, especially since nearly every boss in the game is weak to Great Lightning Spears.

-  Carry a dagger.  It has an obscene backstab damage multiplier, meaning a +10 uninfused dagger will dispatch pretty much anything in the game that can be backstabbed. It's always worth holding one, irrespective of your build. 

-  For infusions, the rule of thumb is to consolidate your damage type. For each element imbued on a weapon, each of the enemy's individual resistance to that element are factored into the damage output. Meaning if you have a Dark Avelynn with lightning bolts, your damage will be much lower on average than someone who has a Lightning Avelynn with lightning bolts.

-  Mundane is a fun infusion to mess with, and you can make some very powerful combinations with it, but requires all your stats be at least 30 to be worth using.

-  DEX scaling is nonexistent at the moment, so avoid it

-  Make sure you give yourself a ranged option. DEX builds have bows, STR have crossbows (can be aimed when two-handed), casters have magic (can be aimed with binoculars).

-  Between the scarcity of 100% physical resist shields, the increase in unblockable attacks, and the addition of agility, From's made it clear that shields are a fucking bandaid that you need to rip off. Getting your agility to 100+ is much more important, as the increased i-frames in your roll and faster estus chug is way more dependable than the board on average. If you don't want to learn how to dodge, be a caster.

-  Sorceries are worth the investment, although I think they've been toned down a bit. Last time I checked, I was one-shotting most bosses with Soul Geyser. Homing Crystal Soulmass, Crystal Soul Spear, and Soul Greatsword are all good stuff, too.

-  Miracles are better this time around. Great Lightning Spear has infinite range, AoE, and you get a ton of charges. Sunlight Spear is also okay, but not really worth the investment. Heals are also nice, but the rest are mostly situational or PvP-oriented.

-  Hexes are mostly shit, with the exception of Dark Fog, Great Resonant Soul, and Resonant Weapon. The Resonant Weapon hex is the best weapon buff, and the cost (2000 souls) is trivial later on. If you're not a hexer, you can spice down the requirements to 10/10 with no penalty. GRS hits like a train for barely any cost, and Dark Fog paired with the Bat Staff catalyst is AoE poison that almost instantly procs.

-  Pyromancy is a high damage, low investment option just like in the first DS -- scales with INT/FTH by a small amount. Only use and upgrade the standard Pyromancy Flame you find in No Man's Wharf, as the other option, Dark Pyromancy Flame, scales to hollowing and requires a ring slot to be worth the marginal damage increase it confers. As far as spells, Flame Swathe is really all you need for PvE -- high base damage + large AoE

-  You no longer need to artificially cap your soul level like in previous games for co-op/PVP. The determinant for player matching now is based on soul memory, which is the total accumulated value of all souls you've absorbed, whether they be spent, lost, or saved. You're placed in a quadrant based on your current memory pool, but nerds are still trying to figure out how its delimited. Being a sunbro increases the range for coop by an unknown amount. It's all very fucking stupid

-  NPC summons got buffed big time in one of the recent patches, and have a much easier time soloing bosses. Wouldn't recommend using them if you want to preserve the challenge, as the bosses aren't very hard as it is.

-  Never waste your time farming for souls. There's a spot near the end of the game where you get a consistent yield of 500k, 2 twinkling titanite, a fire seed and a bonfire ascetic, making it self-sufficient. Takes like three minutes.

-  There's an item you can burn at bonfires, Bonfire Ascetic, that will increase the difficulty of the corresponding zone to NG+ after you've taken out the boss. It's worth doing this a few times in your first run, as the NG+ iterations of bosses will drop +2 rings, some of which are incredibly useful. Ones of note:

Chloranthy Ring +2 (Undead Chariot): stamina regen
Southern Ritual Band +2 (Scorpioness Najka): +3 attunement slots
Clear Bluestone Ring +2 (Skeleton Lords): 55% increase in casting speed
Covetous Silver Serpent Ring +2 (Mytha): for farming

-  Baby mode: spec INT/FTH, get Great Resonant Soul, Dark Caitha's Chime+10/Chime of Want +5, and the game becomes a joke, but you should probably just get good instead, breh
[close]

Funny, I heard Hexes are actually good. But I've been struggling with the first boss for hours now since I need to level up more as a Depriaved or something to do decent damage. Bleh.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #179 on: April 29, 2014, 11:33:39 AM »
everything about how the game feels is worse than the previous game.
nat