Author Topic: New Double Fine game "Hack N Slash"  (Read 1158 times)

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
New Double Fine game "Hack N Slash"
« on: March 22, 2014, 02:16:40 AM »

Kind of neat, the sword is like a USB stick that lets you hack the game
WDW

Himu

Re: New Double Fine game "Hack N Slash"
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 02:22:52 AM »
Looks like a decent Zelda clone but it is double fine so I am wary.

Gotta say that visually it is one of the more striking 2d games I've seen in a while.
IYKYK

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 05:44:32 AM »
I'm in! But it's Il Doppio Fino, so I was in by default.

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 04:14:14 PM »
I really like the concept of re-writing the game's variables as the gameplay. Count me in.
SRY

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 09:05:37 AM »
I saw the Experimental Gameplay Workshop presentation in person and it was pretty badass. However I'm super surprised by everyone thinking it was some kind of new announcement. The game began as part of Double Fine's Amnesia Fortnight 2012 prototype spree and formally announced as a real game in early December. It's been known for over a year!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 09:22:14 AM by a slime appears »

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 11:43:57 AM »
atleast theyre rhyming their game titles with "Here some trash" so people can kinda get a idea what theyre buying
USA

cool breeze

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 12:15:24 PM »
great name

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 08:19:17 PM »
Doublefine's a sweet developer with a lot of talented people, not just Schafer. I'm happy the Amnesia Fortnight stuff has blossomed into a venue where individual artists can get their own visions out into the world.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 08:24:56 PM »
I wish more developers would do things like that, seems like a really great opportunity to simultaneously give people a little break from their usual work, let them work on brand new ideas, and build teamwork within the company.
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 09:01:15 PM »
I wish more developers would do things like that, seems like a really great opportunity to simultaneously give people a little break from their usual work, let them work on brand new ideas, and build teamwork within the company.

I agree, and at the same time I recognize why most companies don't do it. DF took this approach as a survival tactic; it has thankfully worked out for them. At companies where things are running "smoothly enough," taking the company offline for a couple weeks to do something else is rarely feasible due to the overall multi-project schedule, and the financial bottom line is that there's no readily apparent benefit to the financial hit.

One company I worked at shipped a AAA game, and had another project incubating. The incubating team suddenly was "gifted" with about 50 people from the just-wrapped-up AAA team. No warning, just "hey, deal with a 230% HEADCOUNT increase." Over the next few weeks, those staff were brought back piecemeal to the AAA team before the incubating team was also redistributed to the AAA team or laid off. The "gift" was actually just a financial move to keep the AAA team's running cost down and attributing write-off for a month-plus of 50 people's salaries to a game they'd already decided to kill.

I'm kinda happy to be away from all that, lately.

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 07:23:32 PM »

What Chronovore said but most studios out there are either beholden to a publisher or work-for-hire shops that can't afford to do these little vanity projects in hopes that something takes off. Double Fine just happens to be in the INCREDIBLY RARE situation to have an enormous fanbase that support the studio and their games. Most independent developers don't have that kind of luxury.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 07:53:40 AM »

What Chronovore said but most studios out there are either beholden to a publisher or work-for-hire shops that can't afford to do these little vanity projects in hopes that something takes off. Double Fine just happens to be in the INCREDIBLY RARE situation to have an enormous fanbase that support the studio and their games. Most independent developers don't have that kind of luxury.

Yeah, that's true as well. Schafer seems to have god mode engaged. Everything seems to come up just right at just the right time. A lot of it is proactive movement from the management there, he also seems to be able to ride popular trends as they're happening.

I mean, let's face it, whether or not Broken Age delivered on its promises, the idea of Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert returning to the point-and-click adventure genre was irresistible to any nostalgic gamer. Though Ron ended up leaving before starting on it, and though the project spiraled out of scope, requiring a revised schedule and division into parts, neither move seemed to slow supporters' enthusiasm (or wallets) for subsequent projects. It's uncanny.