Author Topic: Educate Yourself! - GDC 2014  (Read 1750 times)

a slime appears

• retro king
Educate Yourself! - GDC 2014
« on: April 07, 2014, 05:33:37 PM »
GDC has uploaded a large collection of sessions for free on their website.

I've listed all the most interesting sessions I saw in-person/online and links marked with a were the best sessions of GDC 2014 in my opinion. Please enjoy for for free what I paid $1,000 for! :'(

Slideshows of Sessions:

Video Recorded Sessions:

Other Recorded Sessions:

POST EDITS:
  • Removed duplicate link to the Everquest Next session.
  • Removed the "Meanwhile, In Japan" pdf link since it was just a header image and contained no content.
  • Added a note indicating that the Final Fantasy XIV session's PDF is not working. Keeping it in the list in the hopes they'll upload a working copy.
  • Added a note indicating that the Splinter Cell session's PDF not on the sever. Keeping it in the list in the hopes they'll upload a working copy.
  • Added "Volition's Challenge: Defining Project Vision" to the Slideshows of Sessions list.
  • Added Jim Crawford's session to the Other Recorded Sessions list (Frog Fractions guy).
  • Added "Experimental Gameplay Workshop" to the Video Recorded Sessions list.
  • Replaced the "Behind the Realm Reborn" Slideshow Session with a link to the Video Recorded Session.
  • Added "Hearthstone: 10 Bits of Design Wisdom" to the Video Recorded Sessions list.
  • Added "Jiro Dreams of Game Design" to the Video Recorded Sessions list.
  • Added "How to Turn a New Leaf at the Animal Crossing" to the Video Recorded Sessions list.
  • Replaced the "Puzzle and Dragons Postmortem" Slideshow Session with a link to the Video Recorded Session.
  • Replaced the "Revival from the Great East Japan Earthquake by Fukushima Game Jam" Slideshow Session with a link to the Video Recorded Session.
  • Added "There and Back Again: Koji Igarashi's Metroidvania Tale" to the Video Recorded Sessions list.
  • Added a YouTube link for "Building Customizable Characters for Bungie's Destiny" in the Other Recorded Sessions list.
  • Added a GDC Vault link for "Classic Studio Postmortem: Lucasfilm Games" in the Video Recorded Sessions list.
  • Added "Come Rain or Shine: Rain Postmortem" to the Video Recorded Sessions list.
  • Moved "Crafting a Next-Gen Material Pipeline for The Order: 1886" link to the Slideshow Sessions list.
  • Added "Flash Forward" to the Video Recorded Sessions list.
  • Replaced the "From Indie to AAA to Indie: The Rebirth of Design" Slideshow Session with a link to the Video Recorded Session.
  • Added "Making Weird Games for Weird People" to the Video Recorded Sessions list.
  • Added a YouTube link for "Narrative Legos" in the Other Recorded Sessions list.
  • Added "My Year at OUYA: The Ups, Downs and Future of a New Content Platform" to the Slideshow Sessions list.
  • Added "IGF Awards 2014 Ceremony" to the Video Recorded Sessions list.
  • Added "Game Developers Choice Awards 2014 Ceremony" to the Video Recorded Sessions list.
  • Added a YouTube link for "Game Developers Choice Awards 2014 Ceremony" in the Other Recorded Sessions list.
  • Updated intro text to indicate that the best sessions are now marked accordingly.
  • Added "Indie Soapbox" to the Video Recorded Sessions list.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 04:47:30 PM by a slime appears »

Raban

• The baby...
Re: Educate Yourself! - GDC14 Talks
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 05:43:27 PM »
thanks for the dope-ass links, slime. Will definitely check these out when I get time
SRY

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 06:44:28 PM »
1500 Nights of Failure: The Shenmue Postmortem
©@©™

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 08:24:26 AM »
thanks for the dope-ass links, slime. Will definitely check these out when I get time

You're welcome! ;)

It actually did take me a while, copying and pasting the names, speakers, and companies together into a coherent list. Although, truth be told, I really did it for myself as an easy means to keep track of everything I want to watch and have watched.

a slime appears

• retro king
Re: Educate Yourself! - GDC 2014
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 03:43:43 PM »
Not sure if any of you care but I've been updating this list (mainly for my benefit) to be a handy list of the most interesting sessions at GDC.

However for those of you who do care there are a couple of new session links you might want to watch:
- Nintendo's Animal Crossing session
- Koji Igarashi's Metroidvania Tale
- Taro Yoko's (Drakengard, Neir) session
- Square's FFXIV session
- Blizzard's Hearthstone session
- The GDC staples: Experimental Gameplay session, IGF Awards, Game Developers Choice Awards

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 03:48:28 PM »
Yeoman's work, slime.
©ZH

hampster

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 04:32:22 PM »
Being a little generous with the number of aren't we slime?
Zzz

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 04:34:16 PM »

Nope.

Lemme drop some perspective:
- There was a total of 620 sessions at GDC 2014
- All links here represent less than 10% of what was available (curated by me)
- Starred links only represent 3% of all sessions (again, curated by me)
- There were a lot of important sessions/post-mortems from game industry icons this year
- Fucking watch 'em, I swear they're good!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 05:17:57 PM by a slime appears »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 05:35:37 PM »

Dont be rude, asshole.
fat

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 08:18:57 PM »
seriously! thank you so much, slime!
SRY

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 12:12:46 AM »