Author Topic: Board games / Card Games  (Read 1473 times)

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
Board games / Card Games
« on: August 04, 2014, 04:37:25 PM »
Whatcha playing guys? Im kind of trying to build up a collection to have some nice things to play with my wife and friends. There is something nice about board games, lots of manuals and stuff, things you dont get anymore with video games.

I got Talisman recently which I used to play as a kid and its really fun to play it again.

Then this week I bought the Lotro Card Game which im reading the
manual for now. Looks fun too for a few nights.

Might want to pick up Eldritch Horror too, anyone played this? Looks so cool.

magus

• LIKES FF7
Re: Board games / Card Games
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 04:53:31 PM »
i play lot of boardgames online, like...

www.boardgamearena.com
http://innovation.isotropic.org/
www.yucata.de
www.brettspielwelt.de

if you do try boardgamearena i especialy recomend through the ages and race for the galaxy, innovation (the game of the second link) is also another good one

I got Talisman recently which I used to play as a kid and its really fun to play it again.

did you know talisman has a steam version? i got it but to be honest i was pretty disappointed, the developer can't seems to be able to go more than a week without some sort of bug going on and many many many games had to be stopped because everyone suddenly found themself unable to do anything, the way they handle DLC is somewhat shady too, when you buy DLC you get the expansion and the character, you can use the expansion with player that don't own it (which is nice) but only the player that own the expansion can play as the expansion character (which make some game feels unfair)
<----

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 02:17:44 AM »
We've got Catan, Agricola, Carcassione, and Cards Against Humanity.
野球

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 02:42:59 AM »
I saw that Talisman is on iOS too and some other games, but I'd rather play them physically.

Wouldn't mind games like Catan either, but I know it so well already. As long as there is no Risk, which is always a boring stalemate.

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 01:02:10 PM »
I saw that Talisman is on iOS too and some other games, but I'd rather play them physically.

Wouldn't mind games like Catan either, but I know it so well already. As long as there is no Risk, which is always a boring stalemate.

if you decide to buy it this is what you can expect

that said, give a try to the sites i linked, there is a LOT of games so even if you want to play them physically it's still a good way to try new games
<----

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 02:58:51 PM »
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective.

Get this, play with your friend or loved ones....heck, you can play it alone. It's without a doubt one of the most intelligent games I've ever played.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 03:20:17 PM »
I'm actually playing Pathfinder weekly/every other week or so. I will never see another vagina in my life.

Also have Cards Against Humanity, Catan, Power Grid, Dominion, Ascension, 7 Wonders, etc.
yar

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 03:48:33 PM »
Got Eldritch Horror as I hoped for my birthday and we played a game.

This game is really tense! Its a coop boardgame for 1-8 players where you try to stop 1 of the 4 ancient ones from awakening. We played against the easiest noob one Azatoth that the game recommends for first timers and lost out in the end by 1 turn. It seemed we had things under control till the last 2/3 turns where things escalated quickly. Me dying mid game and having to pick a new character without any equipment I picked up along the way didnt help either.

Id def recommend this one.

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 05:26:22 PM »
that sounds like ARKHAM horror, i tought you were confusing game but there is an actual game called eldritch horror... uh... now i'm confused myself

anyway i played arkham horror and i really like co-operative game but it takes forever to play and setup and several aspect of the game are complicated for the sake of being complicated

if you want a simpler co-operative game why you don't try pandemic the board game?

EDIT:

it looks really similiar to arkham horror but the map is different, i guess it's some sort of pseudo-sequel? :ohhh
<----

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 05:31:58 PM »
Eldritch is similar to Arkham I heard, but simpler.  Its quite new too.

Really like it Magus, dont feel its too complicated really. Try it out im sure you will like it.

Ive played Pandemic before its cool.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 05:32:43 PM »
Iirc its a completely new game, but similar. Read up on it :)

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2014, 07:51:34 PM »
I played Super Fight last night. Good times.
野球

archnemesis

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2020, 07:47:32 AM »
I picked up some new games for my vacation.

Scythe comes highly recommend, has beautiful art, and a board that reminds me of the excellent Terra Mystica. Players compete for dominance over an alternate history 1920s Eastern Europe by collecting resources, exploring, building, and fighting with mechs. Each game mechanic is simple enough, but there are so many of them that I also picked up the Digital Edition from the Steam sale to help me faster get a hang of the rules. I won my first game without having a strategy and I really look forward to playing it again against more experienced opponents.

As a kid I played a lot of Bondespelet (The Farming Game). It's more fun than most board games for kids and as a bonus it will teach them about seasons, crop types, and the importance of planning ahead. This summer I get to introduce it to my own kids.

Building habitats for animals using magnetic tiles on a dodecagonic Planet is a gimmick that should attract players of all ages. Hopefully it will offer enough strategic decisions to feel rewarding for me as well.

The most popular game at the moment is Bärenpark that we recently started playing even though I picked it up for Christmas. Players take turns placing tiles creating their own bear park. Rules are simple enough that anyone can play. The combination of placing puzzle tiles, competing for resources, and completing the park before any other player offers a lot of variation and challenge.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2020, 12:54:51 PM »
why you don't try pandemic the board game?

tfw you see this post in 2020 :existential
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2020, 01:07:16 PM »
Cones of Dunshire

e- Wait this is a real thing now isn't it I can't use this joke anymore :existential

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2020, 08:47:59 PM »
why you don't try pandemic the board game?

tfw you see this post in 2020 :existential
My pandemic legacy campaign spilled into IRL