Author Topic: Please share your triumph of the day  (Read 799721 times)

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
Re: Please share your triumph of the day
« Reply #2940 on: June 25, 2016, 04:36:10 PM »
My brother told me today he's a deist and no longer a Christian. :ryker

My sister on the other hand is hopelessly religious. She's smart but thinking outside the box isn't her forte.  :doge

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #2941 on: June 25, 2016, 04:45:34 PM »
Ask him if god made a mechanical watch or a quartz one.

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #2942 on: June 25, 2016, 04:55:10 PM »
Knowing him, he'll eventually abandon the whole notion of god. He's slow and methodical when it comes to changing his mind.

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #2943 on: June 25, 2016, 06:06:05 PM »
You can infer it that way but I didn't say that.

Her intelligence is much more in the lines. She's studying to become an engineer, for example.

On the other hand, my brother and I are more likely to think outside of the lines. He's very into creative writing and I'm more into art and design.

Novelty is our driving force. Convention is hers.

Tasty

« Reply #2944 on: June 25, 2016, 06:12:25 PM »
Writers are smarter than engineers? :confused

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #2945 on: June 25, 2016, 06:16:02 PM »
Writers are smarter than engineers? :confused
No. What I'm saying is that there's different types of intelligence.

One is not necessarily better than the other. They're just different ways of perceiving and interacting with the world.

edit: Also, it is possible to be an atheist and never think outside the box/lines.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 06:22:56 PM by Pallando »

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #2946 on: June 25, 2016, 06:17:38 PM »
What else is wrong with your sister? Is she into weird sex shit?
serge

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #2947 on: June 25, 2016, 06:45:53 PM »
That's for no one to know except my sister.  :donot

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2948 on: June 25, 2016, 07:03:27 PM »
and me. 

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #2949 on: June 25, 2016, 08:40:45 PM »
You can infer it that way but I didn't say that.

Her intelligence is much more in the lines. She's studying to become an engineer, for example.
I was going to make a joke about her becoming a great engineer, but then I thought it too smug. :doge

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #2950 on: June 25, 2016, 10:33:03 PM »
Engineers have the stereotype of thinking they can do anything if they read a book about it tho.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2951 on: June 26, 2016, 02:42:25 AM »
Upgraded to an ssd

holy fuck the speed difference  :whew
I've been toying with the idea of putting a small SSD in my ancient iMac to give it another year or two of life. I have trouble parting with old hardware.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #2952 on: June 26, 2016, 12:03:44 PM »
Upgraded to an ssd

holy fuck the speed difference  :whew
I've been toying with the idea of putting a small SSD in my ancient iMac to give it another year or two of life. I have trouble parting with old hardware.

Same. I have an old hdd which is actually from a computer I had in college; I used it when building my current computer, years ago. It's rather slow but the idea of moving files to a new drive seems like a huge hassle. Maybe I could just move my games, music, etc to the ssd though....that seems easier.

kick51

« Reply #2953 on: June 26, 2016, 01:18:21 PM »
went to dust my pc and guess what?  it wasn't all that dusty  :smug

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #2954 on: June 28, 2016, 12:28:00 PM »
Wife's been having some health issues lately. Decided to take her out on a quiet get away weekend to some hot springs. It was great to get her mind off the stresses of life for a bit :rejoice
que

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2955 on: June 28, 2016, 12:49:12 PM »
and me. 

why would you like this, Pallando.

SMH

PlayDat

« Reply #2956 on: June 29, 2016, 11:57:40 AM »
This might be a little premature, but I got a job offer on Monday.  The interview was by phone.  Less than a half hour later they called back with the offer.  They told me the salary, signing bonus, and the start date.  I'd definitely accept, but they offer was only verbal.  They said to expect an email with more details.  It hasn't come yet.  I sent them my own email yesterday and they said there's some kind of delay in getting the offer approved.  They promised to update me by tonight.

The only jobs I've had before this were a paid internship and some service jobs I did while I was in school.  Is it normal for hiring to take more than a day?  I've been holding off on actually celebrating until everything is official.  I've been job searching for the past 11 months and I just want this to be over already.

My one certified triumph: got a new laptop last night!  The old one died from water damage last month.  Shout out to Wirecutter.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #2957 on: June 29, 2016, 12:19:59 PM »
For the job I have right now - I met my manager and was given a verbal offer in June. I didn't get the official paperwork to sign until early August.

So yeah, sometimes it can take awhile.
nat

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2958 on: June 29, 2016, 12:26:29 PM »
I wouldn't worry too much : Unless the people or the company is shifty, they wouldn't go as far as a precise verbal offer when they could only tell you they'll be in touch if they wanted time for reflexion. I mean, considering what you told, they're not trying to bait you out of another offer or position. In your place I would try to keep regular updates on how things are advancing, maybe every week or two ?
ὕβρις

PlayDat

« Reply #2959 on: June 29, 2016, 01:28:11 PM »
Thanks for your responses.  I'm feeling better about things now.  They seem like a respectable company.  They're multinational, based outside of the US, and have thousands of employees.  I had never heard of them until about three weeks ago.    The work they do isn't all that sexy so you don't really see articles about them.

I'm gonna try to relax a little bit.  The past year has been super busy.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2960 on: June 29, 2016, 06:52:46 PM »
Thanks for your responses.  I'm feeling better about things now.  They seem like a respectable company.  They're multinational, based outside of the US, and have thousands of employees.  I had never heard of them until about three weeks ago.    The work they do isn't all that sexy so you don't really see articles about them.

I'm gonna try to relax a little bit.  The past year has been super busy.
If they're a big, well-known company, commonly HR will be the slowest of their corporate appendages. Especially if they feel like they hold the advantage.

If you're feeling pressured for time or just feeling cocky, let them know that you're still interviewing elsewhere, or even that other offers are coming in. THIS TRICK CAN BACKFIRE, and I'm completely horrible at not telling the truth, so I wouldn't/can't use this stunt, but other people I know have used it.

PlayDat

« Reply #2961 on: June 29, 2016, 07:59:59 PM »
Got the offer email.  There was a strange complication keeping them from sending it, but they sorted things out today.

Was literally trembling as I read the offer.  I didn't want to get too mushy but fuck it, I'm going in.

The 22 year long wind up to adulthood is finally over.  First gen immigrant.  Dark skinned black.  Had so many chances to fuck up.  I've seen it happen to family and a bunch of people in my neighborhood.  The high school and college dropouts, criminal records, lives tragically cut short, unplanned pregnancies and a ton of other crap.  The job is in the midwest.  I'm moving out ASAP and plan on visiting rarely.

I'm in a public library right now so I'll wait until I'm home to fill out the paperwork.  Oh boy, I'm shaking again.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2962 on: June 29, 2016, 08:15:19 PM »
Got the offer email.  There was a strange complication keeping them from sending it, but they sorted things out today.

(Image removed from quote.)

Was literally trembling as I read the offer.  I didn't want to get too mushy but fuck it, I'm going in.

The 22 year long wind up to adulthood is finally over.  First gen immigrant.  Dark skinned black.  Had so many chances to fuck up.  I've seen it happen to family and a bunch of people in my neighborhood.  The high school and college dropouts, criminal records, lives tragically cut short, unplanned pregnancies and a ton of other crap.  The job is in the midwest.  I'm moving out ASAP and plan on visiting rarely.

I'm in a public library right now so I'll wait until I'm home to fill out the paperwork.  Oh boy, I'm shaking again.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2963 on: June 29, 2016, 08:35:56 PM »
All I've done this week is listen to Yes and do good science.  Living the Rusty Venture dream. 

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #2964 on: June 30, 2016, 08:40:14 PM »
A couple of my demos were used in a mix on Rinse FM

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #2965 on: June 30, 2016, 09:41:50 PM »
What's your soundcloud?

Also, got invited to a college friend's party this weekend despite being a workaholic and a recluse for months with zero social media presence. I guess I left a good impression on him and his cohorts the last time I was hanging out with them.

:preach

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #2966 on: June 30, 2016, 11:47:50 PM »
What's your soundcloud?

Also, got invited to a college friend's party this weekend despite being a workaholic and a recluse for months with zero social media presence. I guess I left a good impression on him and his cohorts the last time I was hanging out with them.

:preach
the mix
my sc

« Reply #2967 on: July 01, 2016, 01:52:56 PM »
Accepted a job today! The pay is good, the job is going to be easy, and the hours will be normal. I haven’t had a job where I worked under 70 hours a week in years. Now I don’t have to go back to Afghanistan.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2968 on: July 01, 2016, 02:27:17 PM »
Grats Samson. BTW did you ever consider trying to join the Secret Service?

« Reply #2969 on: July 01, 2016, 02:34:42 PM »
Ha, yeah. I was unsuccessful.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #2970 on: July 01, 2016, 07:13:19 PM »
University bureaucracy, slow everywhere. Comforting, in a way.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2971 on: July 01, 2016, 08:22:30 PM »
Ha, yeah. I was unsuccessful.

Bet it was going fine till they brought up the bore.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's against the law to lie to the FBI so I had to be honest.  I'm sorry dude.  They pressed me and I told them it isn't always just subtext. 
[close]

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #2972 on: July 05, 2016, 04:25:30 AM »
Our downstairs neighbour sold his appartment for 25% more then we bought ours for less then two years ago.

Really tempted to bite the bullet and put ours up for sale too now, I'd prob have to spend like 5% to do it up but still.

As the profit on a sale is tax free as far as I know here that could be a great downpayment on our next place... maybe even move back to where my wife is from. Tough decisions.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2973 on: July 05, 2016, 12:42:51 PM »
I've been experimenting with simple bean recipes lately. Slow cooked some pinto beans yesterday and they came out great. I added a bit too much seasoning though. Real simple recipe, just onions and garlic. Next time I'm going to slow cook them with some jalapeno peppers as well.

So far the only beans I can't make decently are black beans. Making meh black beans isn't an issue when I'm just doing it for a post or pre workout, but it's disappointing when I fuck them up.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #2974 on: July 05, 2016, 03:41:36 PM »
1st day back to work after a week of vacation. I'm sure my absence was felt across the forum.  :doge

The wife and I ditched the kids and flew to Miami for a few days at The Fountainbleu. I would highly recommend staying there even though it's pricey. We rented what ended up being a convertible, baby blue 2015 VW Bug. Convertible sounds great until it's 90 and the sun is beating on your head. So we waited until early evening and drove down to South Beach. We made it all the way down to 5th street before heading back.

The food :lawd
The women  :gladbron
The Spa :noah

Great time. 11/10 Would go back.

Jumped in a pool with my phone in my pocket.  :beli I thought the S6 Active was waterproof. It isn't. :fbm
©ZH

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2975 on: July 05, 2016, 03:44:55 PM »
Seeing how you were gone, please feel free to view my posts for the week and like the ones that tickle your fancy. 

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #2976 on: July 05, 2016, 04:01:29 PM »
I've been catching up all afternoon.   ;)
©ZH

Tasty

« Reply #2977 on: July 05, 2016, 08:48:37 PM »
Waterproof =/= chlorineproof unfortunately, sorry breh.

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #2978 on: July 06, 2016, 05:31:28 AM »
it's eid! i can smoke, drink and masturbate!

TVC15

« Reply #2979 on: July 06, 2016, 07:51:25 AM »

Did you try to use the ab roller in the actual pool?
serge

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2980 on: July 06, 2016, 09:51:57 AM »
Drank some Laphroaig yesterday, some coke this morning and now I have some very smokey burps.  Living the life. 

Tasty

« Reply #2981 on: July 06, 2016, 11:44:11 AM »

Did you try to use the ab roller in the actual pool?

:lol No

« Reply #2982 on: July 07, 2016, 07:15:15 PM »
I’ve always wanted to be an Airbnb host but never thought I had a suitable place. I’m living in a one bedroom now but went ahead and listed it anyway as a shared room (air mattress in the living room). I hope I get some guests!

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2983 on: July 07, 2016, 08:48:31 PM »
Surprise, roomie!

I'm gonna watch you sleep. 

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2984 on: July 07, 2016, 08:50:58 PM »
Surprise, roomie!

I'm gonna watch you sleep.
:dead

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #2985 on: July 07, 2016, 08:58:03 PM »
Fucking finally got my approval to start working in Oslo. Was beginning to get nervous if I would get it in time. Took 3 months for simple fucking paper work.  :larry

Felt so good getting it this morning.  :aah

TVC15

« Reply #2986 on: July 07, 2016, 10:04:05 PM »
Had a shitty day, and to compensate I ate so much mexican food that I'm probably gong to unwillingly throw up.
serge

PlayDat

« Reply #2987 on: July 09, 2016, 11:49:17 AM »
A friend from out of town visited a few weeks ago.  After they left they asked me for my address so they could send me "something".  I was expecting a postcard, but an Amazon gift card from them showed up in the mail today :D.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2988 on: July 09, 2016, 12:01:02 PM »
A friend from out of town visited a few weeks ago.  After they left they asked me for my address so they could send me "something".  I was expecting a postcard, but an Amazon gift card from them showed up in the mail today :D.
Generous gentlemen
:lawd

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2989 on: July 11, 2016, 04:11:26 PM »
Working with awesome people

No idiots

Less stress

Less calls

More pay

Awesome schedule...was home at 3:45 PM today

:bow New job :bow2
ど助平

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #2990 on: July 11, 2016, 04:12:49 PM »
God, I hope my next job is like that.  :(

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2991 on: July 11, 2016, 09:35:18 PM »
Working with awesome people

No idiots

Less stress

Less calls

More pay

Awesome schedule...was home at 3:45 PM today

:bow New job :bow2

:rejoice

Congratulations, man! That's so good to hear. Remember to keep your nose clean for the first half-year at the very least. Be a model employee, because you're still making your first impression.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2992 on: July 11, 2016, 10:16:21 PM »
Decided to mix my left over potato salad with left over corned beef.  I made such a good decision.   

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #2993 on: July 12, 2016, 08:44:10 AM »
Bought an Arsenal membership for 34 quid so I can possibly get some tickets for a normal price and maybe go once or twice a season.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2994 on: July 12, 2016, 06:16:31 PM »
Bought OFFICIAL SCOTCH glasses, for work.   

G The Resurrected

« Reply #2995 on: July 13, 2016, 12:00:55 AM »
Got tickets to see a sold out Babymetal concert for less than face value

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2996 on: July 13, 2016, 12:09:13 AM »
Reading TheBore on the shinkansen on my way from Osaka to Tokyo. Even Shin-Osaka train station had better beer options than anything within 20 miles of my home. Had a nice brew and some chicken tandoori pizza and a tonkatsu sandwich before I even got to Nagoya. Such a smooth ride and hassle-free.

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #2997 on: July 13, 2016, 11:51:15 AM »
Got my final letter from the state of California that my 6 month sales tax audit revealed that I had done everything right and owed 0.
vin

T234

• Canadian Legal Expert and Hillballer
« Reply #2998 on: July 13, 2016, 03:56:28 PM »
Bought OFFICIAL SCOTCH glasses, for work.

Do you prefer peated scotches or non-peated? An acquaintance made some non-peated awhile back that almost made me into a scotch man.
UK

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2999 on: July 13, 2016, 03:57:51 PM »
Very peated.